2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

9 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I just want to know if the team is practicing with more intensity than last year and the older players are stepping up and holding everyone accountable. Maybe someone could find out if the early enrollees are turning some heads. 

Also, the team definitely looks bigger. They took well to Coach XYZ’s S&C program. 

Edited by Immaculate Vibes

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Doesn't seem like you get much of anything, then. I like Sarkisian just fine as a dude on the tv screen. Seems nice enough. I give a fuck about the UT football program though, and in that regard, he's fucking terrible. Congrats on being able to look past that. 

Come on, now. I have plenty of friends who were ex players who thought Mack sucked and wanted to get rid of him. I personally wasn't an advocate for his first 5 years or so. He ended up doing pretty well. I was also down on the Sark hire when it happened but I warmed up to him. I thought he sucked last year but it was mainly the D and I thought PK was a good hire. My problem is that the O (without some changes on the OL) may not be great and we are placing all our hopes on Ewers who hasn't played and who may not have much time to throw with Sark drawing up slow developing plays and inside zone which we can't block. Then on D, I see little room for optimism with no proven rushers and crappy linebackers. I think our dbs will be better with Foster leaving but I think we will see a lot of the same issues that we saw last year without a linebacker transfer and with question marks at rush end until Mathis joins.

But that doesn't get me down on Sark. My issue is that time at UT is always of the essence and we have holes on this team. We can't afford to have another season like last year. Because I know that it will be another 5 years of futility if we keep Sark but badmouth him in the press and then help torpedo recruiting only to replace him 2 years later and hand over another depleted roster to a new head coach.

33 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

How many seasons does Seven Win Steve need winning 10 games to get a name change?

On the one hand, it flows easily and is relatively accurate. On the other hand, we’re winning 10 next year.

2 seasons.  oh and it's not relatively accurate, it is dead fucking on accurate.

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Yeah, but you have to admit we are stacked this year except for OL, pass rushers, LB and DB.  And maybe QB.  And sure, I’m counting TE as probably one of our stronger positions even though that room has a 216 pound transfer and three freshmen who combined for 1 catch last year.

But, putting that aside, show me a weakness!

You are wrong. And you should feel bad about it. 

I mean, you probably aren’t wrong but I will say again, really good skill players with a really good offensive mind (and decent special teams) will win a lot of games in college football. A lot. We know we are as good as can be at RB. We strongly suspect our WR room will be pretty good (at least top 3 guys and Sark relies on the best of a room and eschews depth). We have a generational recruit at QB. We have a guy, that you can say all sorts of bad things about and be correct, but you can’t say he doesn’t know how to scheme and play call offense.  We play what looks like a pretty shitty schedule outside of Bama. 
All the stuff you said can be true but if all the stuff I said is right we could go 10-2.

• Hook 'Em 8

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Doesn't seem like you get much of anything, then. I like Sarkisian just fine as a dude on the tv screen. Seems nice enough. I give a fuck about the UT football program though, and in that regard, he's fucking terrible. Congrats on being able to look past that. 

I agree with you that it’s the most plausible way this goes down, in utter failure with us wandering the wilderness and searching for a coach again. 
but damnit- we are due for some fucking luck around here. We haven’t had any good fortune in a long ass time. The only thing I will hold onto with Sark is I truly believe he is somewhere between above average and terrific as an offensive mind. 
Do you agree with that assessment?  If not that’s cool- I don’t need to engage anymore and if you are right the odds of success probably aren’t slim but are instead none. 
If I’m right though a plausible path to relevancy does exist that is us playing some exciting offensive football, reeling in Arch and the gang in 2023, riding a wave of publicity, entering the SEC and our NIL money getting unstuck and then the program starts running itself Mack Brown style. 
that’s what I’m hoping for. 

FYI going into the off-season I said I was completely out on Steve ever having a path to success here unless he got Ewers in the door, got a big time receiver #2, signed some difference makers on the OLine and did something about the defense. Depending upon how you feel about fat Gare he checked all 4 or 3 of the 4 boxes (I think we got the best QB and a top 3 WR on the market- along with- on paper- the best OL line class in forever). 

I said it was like him trying to draw into an inside straight. He had a 3-6 starting hand and just flopped 2, 5 and 8. He’s got a couple outs. You will still go broke chasing inside straights overall but it’s not like they don’t happen or are unicorn level rate. 

I will bet against, but root for, and not view it as completely implausible that we catch a couple breaks and get over the inertia of suck that has hovered over this program since Colt got got against Bama. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I just want to know if the team is practicing with more intensity than last year and the older players are stepping up and holding everyone accountable. Maybe someone could find out if the early enrollees are turning some heads. 

1 hour ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Also, the team definitely looks bigger. They took well to Coach XYZ’s S&C program. 

It’s as if we’ve ridden this ride before. aggy has their roller  coaster. What have we got? A fucking tilt-a-whirl

Edited by mr. sunshine
fucking fuck

27 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I agree with you that it’s the most plausible way this goes down, in utter failure with us wandering the wilderness and searching for a coach again. 
but damnit- we are due for some fucking luck around here. We haven’t had any good fortune in a long ass time. The only thing I will hold onto with Sark is I truly believe he is somewhere between above average and terrific as an offensive mind. 
Do you agree with that assessment?  If not that’s cool- I don’t need to engage anymore and if you are right the odds of success probably aren’t slim but are instead none. 
If I’m right though a plausible path to relevancy does exist that is us playing some exciting offensive football, reeling in Arch and the gang in 2023, riding a wave of publicity, entering the SEC and our NIL money getting unstuck and then the program starts running itself Mack Brown style. 

FYI going into the off-season I said I was completely out on Steve ever having a path to success here unless he got Ewers in the door, got a big time receiver #2, signed some difference makers on the OLine and did something about the defense. Depending upon how you feel about fat Gare he checked all 4 or 3 of the 4 boxes (I think we got the best QB and a top 3 WR on the market- along with- on paper- the best OL line class in forever). 

I said it was like him trying to draw into an inside straight. He had a 3-6 starting hand and just flopped 2, 5 and 8. He’s got a couple outs. You will still go broke chasing inside straights overall but it’s not like they don’t happen or are unicorn level rate. 

I will bet against, but root for, and not view it as completely implausible that we catch a couple breaks and get over the inertia of suck that has hovered over this program since Colt got got against Bama. 

592780BA-DD51-400D-B53E-732A0ED48B9F.gif.62f65c06bfeaf60a6b34e8efb0a72849.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

"OMG!!! Think of the readers who want to read spring practice reports!!! Whatever will they do??!!?!"

Give me a fucking break. There was no practice today. The practice reports for yesterday were posted. They were discussed. They haven't been deleted. Feel free to add something new regarding takeaways from the practice that don't make you want to vomit and kick a dog. Tomorrow, after another practice, there will be more practice reports, and more people discussing them. 

"The practice reports, my god, the practice reports!" is a canard thrown out every year on these threads when the pumpers can't handle the reality of the program we root for being moored to the rocks of college football futility while we're consumed by the waves of bad coaches landing ashore as we hang on for dear life.

image.gif.f5492556be9d2f805a5f015c0a35e00f.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Still equivocating for Seven Loss Steve, I see. As to getting the better "of the two people that we know we went after", um, no, we didn't get the better one. I don't give a flying fuck at this point if Urban Meyer wants to walk around sticking his fingers up every coed's butthole on campus, denies The Holocaust, and makes his assistants and players sob like fucking 5 year olds in the morning, afternoon, and night - I'd take him right now over Seven Loss Steve without a second's hesitation. 

That too much for folks? Want a "good man" coaching your football team? Go root for the local Pop Warner stars. Go home and play with your kids. No one else gives a fuck. 12 years of getting buttfucked by hillbillies in the wilderness has a whole bunch of us itching to see W's, even if the HC happens to be a big ol'meanie.

Also, LOFL at the approach to the Kansas loss. "I mean, sure, sucks to lose to fucking Kansas and all, but that loss was better than the way Charlie Strong used to lose, right? Guys?! Guys? AMIRITE here!?!" Awesome.

Again, more equivocating. No, his track record isn't "incomplete". Get the fuck out of here with that nonsense. The guy has coached almost a decade as an HC. He's one of the only coaches in any American sport over the last 25 years to have been fired for being a fucking drunk on the sidelines. He lost to Kansas. His offense gained 14 yards in the last 6 drives against Oklahoma State. He's a bad HC. Awful.

And as he shits himself here, we're all going to get to stew in the stench of it while we're told how wrong we are for wanting him gone after this season by the media and the AD and also what a fucking "great guy" he is. We'll hear that for the next 3 years until they Shaka him on his way and he fails elsewhere. 

It doesn't suck as a fan. Many of us enjoy dealing with looking to the future inside the reality as it is, not as we want it to be. Virtue signal all you like, it's irrelevant to the truth.

By the way, for you rubes that insist on the whole "we don't know what kind of HC he is" farce, there's always this hint of falling back on the idea that he's an otherwise good coach. Is he? He has been successful under the aegis of Pete Carroll's machine and Nick Saban's dynasty. He's been an abject failure at worst and a mediocrity at best in every other role. You cannot disconnect his success from two of the greatest coaches of all time, both of whom won titles irrespective of who was assisting them on their staffs. 

I knew it...you work for Mitch and Murray. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

I like how Sark's solution to a historically bad defense was to bring back the entire staff

Leaving out that small part about adding Gary Patterson?

Firing people for the sake of saying you fired someone to calm the masses is dumb and it’s a cycle we’ve gone through before with assistants with no success. Hiring some random new safeties or corners or linebackers coach was not going to fix what was wrong with this defense. Look, they didn’t help themselves with some decisions they made but they were dealt a shit hand and it got worse when the only guy who could set the edge got hurt in game 6 of the season. The head coach said they are making schematic changes on that side of the ball this offseason with how they deploy the Dline and secondary. Whether that works or not remains to be seen but good lord they haven’t just been sitting on their asses content with what happened on that side of the ball.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This is complete crap and you should be ashamed.     Sark will do well here and I will enjoy the fucking silence from this jackass as the year goes on.   

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

There is a timeline where a generational QB prospect teams up with an elite RB and top Wr and play calling coach and despite defensive deficiencies goes 9-3 with an exciting win or two. Along the way they entice a brand name QB recruit to commit which opens the floodgates for other recruits before our NIL death star is fully operational. Then things really get rolling in spite of our defensive deficiencies while this cycle’s Bull Reese gets recycled out. I don’t think it’s 50/50 but it’s higher than the CTJ’s on our board think it is. 

id put it at 20-25%. So we need a 10 before we crap out. I’m rooting for it instead of standing on the rail betting on no pass and saying it’s not gonna happen. That’s just me. Check with me in December. I may be no pass guy. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Leaving out that small part about adding Gary Patterson?

Firing people for the sake of saying you fired someone to calm the masses is dumb and it’s a cycle we’ve gone through before with assistants with no success. Hiring some random new safeties or corners or linebackers coach was not going to fix what was wrong with this defense. Look, they didn’t help themselves with some decisions they made but they were dealt a shit hand and it got worse when the only guy who could set the edge got hurt in game 6 of the season. The head coach said they are making schematic changes on that side of the ball this offseason with how they deploy the Dline and secondary. Whether that works or not remains to be seen but good lord they haven’t just been sitting on their asses content with what happened on that side of the ball.

Do you enjoy watching DBs playing 10 yards off the LOS on 3rd and 1?

13 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Do you enjoy watching DBs playing 10 yards off the LOS on 3rd and 1?

We’ve heard the same shit about the DB’s playing too far off for the last 6 defensive coordinators we’ve had. So easy to talk about getting up in a receivers face until we do it against Tech and get burned for 80 yard touchdowns on back to back plays. Should we start listing playing close to the line scrimmage as a job requirement on our future coaching positions?

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The premise is that your DBs are fast enough to get into that dead zone on quick throws and make the play. It takes time for the QB to look at the WR throw it, the ball to get there, and the WR to secure the catch. In that time, a DB should've already read to situation and been closing.

That's why we see so much of it.

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Okay back on subject.  Too many gaping vaginas in here right now…. This board needs a injection of sunshine.

QB- Biggest QB recruit since VY.  May bust out but every coach that has seen him play has drooled over him.  If he busts, Sark’s career is basically done and we will probably be a laughing stock perception wise.  Anyways, I will just go ahead and believe the these camp coaches and scouts that say he can make every throw and has been compared to Patrick Mahomes when it comes to arm talent.  I’m going full blown drinking the koolaid that this kid is special like Bijan is special.

RB:  Best RB in the country and best RB room in the country.  

WR:  We have 2 forsure NFL WRs 3 and done players in Neyor and Worthy.  Worthy is a 4.4 guy at worst and most likely a 4.3 guy if my eyes aren’t lying to me.  Neyor is a 4.4 guy.  Apparently JWhit is back and better than ever and we’ve seen what he can do in the 2 games he playe a year.  I’m going to keep drinking the koolaid and say he plays half a season this year.  If Brennan Thompson can show up and run some routes and catch more than he drops…. This WR room is going to be a nightmare for defenses.  Very good chance we’re looking at 3 future NFL WRs.  How many teams can say their 3 starters are pro prospects right now with scouts?

TE:  J’Tavian Sanders is apparently focused and ready to kick some ass.  Apparently he an athletic freak with strong hands.  Let’s see if Banks can get this former 5 star player that dominated in high school in a competitive district live up to his potential. 

OL:  my only kool aid here is I’m praying Kyle Flood can get these freshman ready and prove why he’s so highly regarded as an OL coach.  

There’s some serious talent coming in and if this OL can even get 25% better…  this offense is probably going to be one of the best on the country.  Ewers strength is his deep ball and we have two players in Neyor and Worthy to stretch the field.  I imagine we’re going to be dead set on pounding the rock and going deep.  So many times I saw players wide open only for Card/Thompson to whiff our terrible WRs like Marcus Washington and Josh Moore drop pass after pass.  I’m pretty excited to watch this offense… the defense….. however…. Will be hot garbage.  Not even going to bother discussing it. 

image.gif.47a52d03714baa88a1e9121ce816c68f.gif

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

The premise is that your DBs are fast enough to get into that dead zone on quick throws and make the play. It takes time for the QB to look at the WR throw it, the ball to get there, and the WR to secure the catch. In that time, a DB should've already read to situation and been closing.

That's why we see so much of it.

Correct. It’s not just a Texas thing.. 

It’s also a lot easier to deploy aggressive coverages with dudes like Ryan Watts (and Terrance Brooks) because they have the length to get their hands on receivers and disrupt earlier in the play while also possessing good enough speed to stay with outside receivers.

Edited by Hookem2147

Josh Thompson ran well enough at the NFL combine to show there was enough speed to be able to compete against WRs. Jamison has used his quickness to be one of the most effective punt returners we’ve had here. They tackle well. Consider their age and experience. You can find any number of examples in which coaches did more with less than those two guys.

And if you play off and have two deep safeties, then what are you taking away? Presumably the safeties take away the deep ball. And often that was a deterrent. So the corners are concerned about intermediate routes and give up the short stuff to convert the 1st.

It just didn’t fit what was happening and sure didn’t result in a better defense.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Still equivocating for Seven Loss Steve, I see. As to getting the better "of the two people that we know we went after", um, no, we didn't get the better one. I don't give a flying fuck at this point if Urban Meyer wants to walk around sticking his fingers up every coed's butthole on campus, denies The Holocaust, and makes his assistants and players sob like fucking 5 year olds in the morning, afternoon, and night - I'd take him right now over Seven Loss Steve without a second's hesitation. 

That too much for folks? Want a "good man" coaching your football team? Go root for the local Pop Warner stars. Go home and play with your kids. No one else gives a fuck. 12 years of getting buttfucked by hillbillies in the wilderness has a whole bunch of us itching to see W's, even if the HC happens to be a big ol'meanie.

Also, LOFL at the approach to the Kansas loss. "I mean, sure, sucks to lose to fucking Kansas and all, but that loss was better than the way Charlie Strong used to lose, right? Guys?! Guys? AMIRITE here!?!" Awesome.

Again, more equivocating. No, his track record isn't "incomplete". Get the fuck out of here with that nonsense. The guy has coached almost a decade as an HC. He's one of the only coaches in any American sport over the last 25 years to have been fired for being a fucking drunk on the sidelines. He lost to Kansas. His offense gained 14 yards in the last 6 drives against Oklahoma State. He's a bad HC. Awful.

And as he shits himself here, we're all going to get to stew in the stench of it while we're told how wrong we are for wanting him gone after this season by the media and the AD and also what a fucking "great guy" he is. We'll hear that for the next 3 years until they Shaka him on his way and he fails elsewhere. 

It doesn't suck as a fan. Many of us enjoy dealing with looking to the future inside the reality as it is, not as we want it to be. Virtue signal all you like, it's irrelevant to the truth.

By the way, for you rubes that insist on the whole "we don't know what kind of HC he is" farce, there's always this hint of falling back on the idea that he's an otherwise good coach. Is he? He has been successful under the aegis of Pete Carroll's machine and Nick Saban's dynasty. He's been an abject failure at worst and a mediocrity at best in every other role. You cannot disconnect his success from two of the greatest coaches of all time, both of whom won titles irrespective of who was assisting them on their staffs. 

Years ago on Hornfans, I remember you lashing out at Mack during 03 or 04. I teased you about it. You ripped my ass a new one. I encouraged you to jump. Mack finally won one and got us into another CG. We all cheered and jumped up and down. VY BITCHES! Colt!!!!

You were right in that we should have won more given our talent and wrong in that Mack would never win anything of note (I could be mixing you up with someone else on the last part, if so, I apologize now).

However, we are in total agreement on Sark. The people predicting 10-2 are delusional. We win 7, and I’ll be thrilled. We win 9 and it’s an unbelievable season considering he’s done that exactly 1x previously in his entire career. Not sure how long it will take others to come around, and frankly I hope someone is able to bump this exact post and rub it in my face… 

at best, I’m expecting he can recruit well enough to lay a strong foundation for the next head coach, however with the portal that means exactly nada in today’s NCAA.

• Hook 'Em 1

"But I'm not calling for him to be fired."

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

Okay back on subject.  Too many gaping vaginas in here right now…. This board needs a injection of sunshine.

QB- Biggest QB recruit since VY.  May bust out but every coach that has seen him play has drooled over him.  If he busts, Sark’s career is basically done and we will probably be a laughing stock perception wise.  Anyways, I will just go ahead and believe the these camp coaches and scouts that say he can make every throw and has been compared to Patrick Mahomes when it comes to arm talent.  I’m going full blown drinking the koolaid that this kid is special like Bijan is special.

RB:  Best RB in the country and best RB room in the country.  

WR:  We have 2 forsure NFL WRs 3 and done players in Neyor and Worthy.  Worthy is a 4.4 guy at worst and most likely a 4.3 guy if my eyes aren’t lying to me.  Neyor is a 4.4 guy.  Apparently JWhit is back and better than ever and we’ve seen what he can do in the 2 games he playe a year.  I’m going to keep drinking the koolaid and say he plays half a season this year.  If Brennan Thompson can show up and run some routes and catch more than he drops…. This WR room is going to be a nightmare for defenses.  Very good chance we’re looking at 3 future NFL WRs.  How many teams can say their 3 starters are pro prospects right now with scouts?

TE:  J’Tavian Sanders is apparently focused and ready to kick some ass.  Apparently he an athletic freak with strong hands.  Let’s see if Banks can get this former 5 star player that dominated in high school in a competitive district live up to his potential. 

OL:  my only kool aid here is I’m praying Kyle Flood can get these freshman ready and prove why he’s so highly regarded as an OL coach.  

There’s some serious talent coming in and if this OL can even get 25% better…  this offense is probably going to be one of the best on the country.  Ewers strength is his deep ball and we have two players in Neyor and Worthy to stretch the field.  I imagine we’re going to be dead set on pounding the rock and going deep.  So many times I saw players wide open only for Card/Thompson to whiff our terrible WRs like Marcus Washington and Josh Moore drop pass after pass.  I’m pretty excited to watch this offense… the defense….. however…. Will be hot garbage.  Not even going to bother discussing it. 

Best Wishes Homer GIF by PEEKASSO

2 hours ago, Knighthawk said:

This is complete crap and you should be ashamed.     Sark will do well here and I will enjoy the fucking silence from this jackass as the year goes on.   

Hope is your strategy. Let’s see how it works out. 

1 hour ago, Askew said:

"But I'm not calling for him to be fired."

Oh, if I thought there was any prayer of it, I’d love for him to be fired. But he’s going to be here for 4 years, so it’s pointless. I’ll hope to be wrong and cheer for the team and mock the pollyannas in the run up to the next search that Texas fucks up for its HFC. 

On 3/22/2022 at 12:55 PM, Burntcowboy said:

How can you not love this guy?

14 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lol, grown men actually read/believe practice “reports?”

spacer.png

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I don't give a flying fuck at this point if Urban Meyer wants to walk around sticking his fingers up every coed's butthole on campus, denies The Holocaust, and makes his assistants and players sob like fucking 5 year olds in the morning, afternoon, and night - I'd take him right now over Seven Loss Steve without a second's hesitation. 

Dude.

Urban Meyer wasn't fired from JAX because of his moral turpitude. He was fired because he was a historically shitty coach. Arguably the worst NFL head coach in history. He was so bad, he hired our historically shitty former head coach to be an assistant.

What, are you begging to have the guy who "mentored" Turtle Tom and Chuck Dumbass Strong be our head coach?

I mean, Sark may end up being 7-win mediocre, but anyone who thinks, at this point, that Urban could coach his way out of a paper bag is just lost. His scheme is beaten, his management techniques are obsolete in an era of Portals and NIL, and anyone thinking, even after the horrors of last year, that Urban would've done better is huffing way too much fucking paint.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 3/22/2022 at 3:20 PM, Burt Macklin said:

It’s not that complicated. If the best man is Card, then we ain’t winning shit. That’s why people are rooting for Ewers. 

Oh I’m Sorry idk what they Hell I was thinking 

Edited by D3zii

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic