2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

Is this the part of the off-season where we start talking ourselves into believing that we won’t be completely fucked in the ass on television all season long and that our O-line won’t be “THAT BAD”?  

Because if so I’m here for it.  Might as well enjoy a nice fantasy world before the annual assfucking.

Edited by Darth Tron
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

33 minutes ago, Darth Tron said:

Is this the part of the off-season where we start talking ourselves into believing that we won’t be completely fucked in the ass on television all season long and that our O-line won’t be “THAT BAD”?  

Because if so I’m here for it.  Might as well enjoy a nice fantasy world before the annual assfucking.

Maybe we'll fuck their asses

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

I heard from a guy today that was at practice....He said Ewers was way ahead of Card....said that there was not a throw Ewers could not make. That was the good news. The bad news was that the only guys on the team that could catch at all were the RB's. He said we might have the best RB room in the country. That was the good news. The bad news was that the OL was terrible. He said they did not cast shadows because they cant even block sunshine.

now send me those 9.95 checks please....

So now Worthy, Whittington, and Neyor can't catch? I call bullshit on this report. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Darth Tron said:

No. Actually, it seems we have decided to skip that phase this year. 

14 minutes ago, Eggo said:

So now Worthy, Whittington, and Neyor can't catch? I call bullshit on this report. 

Of course you do. Even if all the receivers had a bad day, we wouldn’t want to believe it. I remember a game last season where none of our receivers could catch a fucking thing, including Worthy. It does happen.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

That’s the Tiny Tim I thought of when the name was mentioned, perhaps because of the Don Knotts comp. Both were legendary cocksmen (well, Tim may have banged Miss Vicki). But Don tore thru Hollywood, flashing his multiple Emmy Awards as he tagged the latest blonde with stars in her eyes, looking for a connection. 

I negged you because nobody disses Don Knotts when I'm around.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I've got to say, I've been the author of countless misspellings on this board, both drunk and sober varieties. And I must say, "specimine" might be the most wrongheaded, fucked up, inexplicable botch I've seen in my life. It's obviously not just a fat finger, or some kind of weird autocorrect/replacement. It's not even some guy who got lost in thought and mashed together two different sentences while he was composing the tweet.  It's a misspelling that starts off with a complete lack of knowledge on how to spell the word by the author, followed up by completely blowing past what I assume is a red underline informing them that there is in fact no word spelled that way, and then the final cherry is a guy who does this for a living either failing to do any kind of proof read, or worse who looked at it and said "Yup, looks fucking terrific" and then hits send. 
While the fact that he works for Geoff Ketchum is an appropriate chef's kiss here, as Suchomel is the busted lap-band of 995 "journalism," I still weep that he is tangentially associated with the University of Texas. Go fuck yourself, Jason. 

Uphauling.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’ll agree on LT. That is huge question mark, that I don’t see an answer to today. I also agree that I think Texas can cobble together something at RT. Run blocking certainly improved last year. Pass blocking was still sketch, but I also thought the QB play was just as sketch. People have the notion that sacks are an OL stat alone. I have seen strong evidence that sacks are a QB stat. The 2 most predictable stats for a QB in the NFL are completion percentage and sack rate. Sack rate shouldn’t be predictable with team changes, if it was a OL stat. I think there are things the offense can do to help the OL out with better QB play. 

When 2 or 3 players are squaring off against 5 linemen and the QB is sacked, that is on the offensive line. I dont care if the QB takes a nap, they should be able to win when they have numbers.

They were horrible. They are horrible. They have played for years and have peaked out at being horrible. The only fucking reason for some good in the stats is because Bijan is elite.
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I negged you because nobody disses Don Knotts when I'm around.

You sneaky devil, because you were actually kind in your assessment. I give mad props to DK for his ability with women and those bad ass 60’s movies. Damn, I loved The Ghost and Mr. Chicken.

Here’s the birth of “Attaboy, Luther!”

Oh yeah, football!

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

When 2 or 3 players are squaring off against 5 linemen and the QB is sacked, that is on the offensive line. I dont care if the QB takes a nap, they should be able to win when they have numbers.

They were horrible. They are horrible. They have played for years and have peaked out at being horrible. The only fucking reason for some good in the stats is because Bijan is elite.

Yeah absolutely agree. Too often 3 guys were beating 5, and it was quick too. That is inexcusable.

7 hours ago, Nivek said:

This is the typical post here, that heard something after the first couple games and believes it came down from Mount Sinai on a tablet. The Bijan thing is one of the dumbest memes on this board. Did you watch the last 2 games? Those were the best 2 running games of the season and Bijan did not play in those games. Not to mention that Bijan had the worst yards per carry amongst the top 3 ball carriers. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

This is the typical post here, that heard something after the first couple games and believes it came down from Mount Sinai on a tablet. The Bijan thing is one of the dumbest memes on this board. Did you watch the last 2 games? Those were the best 2 running games of the season and Bijan did not play in those games. 

Well that is a nice slice to look at.  I suppose if we just look at the first half of the OU game, we can be happy with the state of the program.   I mean the defense really had OU on their heels against a pre-season heisman contender, and the offense seemed to be scoring at will.  

11 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Yep, yep.

The Football Outsiders shows our Stuff Rate is favorable in the run game. Our run metrics ranked considerably better than Michigan State. I use them for several reasons - comparable back who broke lots of tackles, a poor defense, and a better record.

Our pass pro struggled more so in early downs. Some of that had to do with pulling guys who didn’t quite get there or simply missed. Codaxx May be on to something too with more RPO and less traditional play action. If we’re truly better at WR, that should help pass pro too with more open options and open sooner too.

We’ll miss Kerstetter more in pass pro than the run game. I’d guess at RT with Jones we’ll be better at the run game but downgrading in the pass. Then Jones is the worst LT ever so no way Banks/Williams could be worse. And you can find help with a TE or RB cause can’t no team cover Worthy/Neyor/Whittington.

QB is the key for the offense. Then health of the Oline and WR group. This may be the best RB group we’ve ever had. It’s quite possibly the most talented top 3 WRs we’ve ever had. TE and QB have as talented of players that we’ve had. I’d expect 3 contributors of the frosh olinemen - as talented a group of olinemen that we’ve had.

Raining sunshine.

Oh

My

Fucking

Goodness

The hyperbole is out of control. “Possibly the most talented top 3 WR we’ve ever had”. Just fucking NO. We have exactly 1 player on this team that is Roy Williams level talent and he’s a tailback. BJ Johnson and Sloan Thomas (at their collegiate peaks) would be instant starters on this team.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Oh

My

Fucking

Goodness

The hyperbole is out of control. “Possibly the most talented top 3 WR we’ve ever had”. Just fucking NO. We have exactly 1 player on this team that is Roy Williams level talent and he’s a tailback. BJ Johnson and Sloan Thomas (at their collegiate peaks) would be instant starters on this team.

If Xavier worthy maintains his current trajectory he will be the best WR we’ve been very had. It’s too early to tell with this current group. But anyways. Give me Shipley/quan plus whoever is 3rd over Roy/BJ/Sloan

Edited by BurntOrange&White

10 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Well that is a nice slice to look at.  I suppose if we just look at the first half of the OU game, we can be happy with the state of the program.   I mean the defense really had OU on their heels against a pre-season heisman contender, and the offense seemed to be scoring at will.  

That is a ridiculous response. It makes no sense. You argued that Bijan was the reason for the run game and that the OL did not improve. I pointed out the improvement in the runnign game and how Bijan did not lead in yards per carry. You respond with some word soup about the 1st half of the OU game. I would love to hear why you think that is a relevant response. 

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If Xavier worthy maintains his current trajectory he will be the best WR we’ve been very had. But anyways. Give me Shipley/quan over Roy/BJ/Sloan

Lol. Roy had about 180 less yards on 20 less catches as a Fr.

And Ship/Quan also had Limas as well.

This isn’t the most talent top 3 WR TEXAS has ever had. It was idiotic hyperbole.

• Hook 'Em 1

BJ Johnson and Sloan Thomas (at their collegiate peaks) would be instant starters on this team.

Yeah, I was hyping it up.

But these guys actual play making skills was over rated. Roy was something else.

And not all their fault, but we did only score 3 points versus OU one time with them playing. That may have been the game Johnson had nothing but green pastures with only Matt McCoy to stop him. The tackle was made easily.

Obviously the issue with Whittington is health, but he’s got more upside than either of those guys.

19 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If Xavier worthy maintains his current trajectory he will be the best WR we’ve been very had. It’s too early to tell with this current group. But anyways. Give me Shipley/quan plus whoever is 3rd over Roy/BJ/Sloan

I hate to be the grammar police but damn, your edit missed something. Easy mistake but had trouble reading it.

• Hook 'Em 1

And Ship/Quan also had Limas as well.

This isn’t the most talent top 3 WR TEXAS has ever had. It was idiotic hyperbole.

Quan had production and a hell of a resume but didn’t get drafted. We’d all take him on the team every year. Size was a limiting factor. He wasn’t drafted due to his athletic profile. Shipley also would fit on any team we’ve had, but is he more talented than Worthy? Now, M. Williams was the most physically gifted but was sporadic when he played. Limas was gone before those guys got their run. I would take this group over Williams, BJ and Thomas. And I hold Roy in very high regard.

Chip 

At the halfway mark of spring practice, after talking to team sources, let’s go position by position in Part 1 of this week’s Insider to see where things stand - starting with the offense:

OFFENSIVE LINE

This spring has been an incredible opportunity - a reps bonanza - for guys like left tackles Andrej Karic, Jaylen Garth and guards Hayden Conner and early enrollee freshman Cole Hutson - in addition to returning veterans Junior Angilau, Jake Majors and Christian Jones.

The question is: Is everyone I just mentioned looking at the spring as an incredible opportunity to solidify a grip on a starting position (before six incredibly talented freshmen O-linemen arrive on campus in June, including the country’s top two 2021 offensive line recruits - Devon Campbell and Kelvin Banks)?

To use one of Steve Sarkisian’s new favorite phrases this spring - there’s been “incremental progress.”

After reviewing the line’s inconsistency in 2021, Jones was moved from left tackle to right tackle. Karic is now being given the opportunity to win the left tackle position.

Karic, entering his third season with 14 games of experience, including two starts, is the guy coaches are hoping will really lock in and become the consistent mauler he’s shown glimpses of being.

Going into the 2021 season, it seemed like Karic might overtake Christian Jones at left tackle at any point. But his only start last season was at right tackle against Oklahoma, when Derek Kerstetter moved from right tackle to left guard, replacing injured starter Denzel Okafor. The next week, against Oklahoma State, Karic was out as Kerstetter was back at right tackle, Junior Angilau moved from right guard to left guard, and sixth-year senior Tope Imadefinished the season at right guard.

Now is the time for Karic, whom teammates say is plenty nasty, to prove to offensive coordinator/line coach Kyle Flood that he’s ready to become a completely reliable, full-time starter.

Garth has shown a new sense of urgency this offseason, and coaches are noticing. Garth put in good work during winter conditioning and even drew some praise from Steve Sarkisian for “remaking his body.” Garth is listed at 6-foot-5 and 297 pounds.

At guard, Junior Angilau and Hayden Conner are getting the majority of reps with the first team (Angilau has been primarily on the left side, but he and Conner work both sides).

Angilau has quietly battled a pretty severe case of patella tendonitis the past two seasons, but the condition appears to be improved right now.

For a coaching staff that covets “large humans” in the trenches, Conner is now the heaviest O-lineman on the team, according to the listed weights on the spring roster, at 320 pounds and 6-foot-5.

Working behind Conner is Cole Hutson (6-5, 309), who has drawn praise from teammates for making his presence felt already.

“He (Hutson) has come in and is cracking back on people, finishing his blocks, and just everything he does, he does with energy,” said running back Bijan Robinson. “It’s good to see that in a young guy on the line, because it bodes well for the future and even for this season - that he can make a big impact.”

Jake Majors, Logan Parr and Sawyer Goram-Welchare all working at center. Majors is just a really smart football IQ who understands leverage and is up to 313 pounds. Parr works at guard and center. And after Rafiti Ghirmai entered the transfer portal, Sarkisian always has three guys who are capable of playing center, so Goram-Welch is now becoming one of those guys. So far, so good, I’m hearing on Goram-Welch’s transition from defensive line to offensive line.

TIGHT END

(Photo: © Taylor Estes, Horns247, 247Sports)

This is truly one of the most intriguing position battles of the spring, and it is likely to reach fall camp before it’s decided.

Well, I should say the blocking tight end/H-back role is an intriguing position battle between Gunnar Helm(6-5, 254) and Ja’Tavion Sanders (6-4, 253) with junior Brayden Liebrock (6-4, 234) working himself back into playing shape after missing last season with a shoulder injury.

The battle between pass-catching tight ends - Alabama transfer Jahleel Billingsley (6-4, 216) and Juan Davis (6-4, 218) - has been dominated by Billingsley, who has looked smooth and comfortable making plays in Sarkisian’s offense, while Davis has been in and out of practice with some muscle strains.

Sources say Helm has been the more consistent blocking tight end, but coaches are continuing to rotate Helm and Sanders with the ones almost every other series.

This is another position where Sarkisian said he’s seeing “incremental progress.” No one’s ready to be anointed yet.

WIDE RECEIVER

If you’ve been reading our spring practice reports, you already know Jordan Whittington, Xavier Worthy and Wyoming transfer Isaiah Neyor have been standing out.

But in addition to Kelvontay Dixon and Marcus Washington attempting to take their games up a notch, you can add 6-foot-3, 195-pound redshirt freshman Casey Cain as a wideout making a push.

Cain has had a really good last few practices, including a sweet, one-handed catch along the sideline (thrown by Quinn Ewers) against cornerback Ryan Watts in the red zone that was released on Texas Football’s social media on Sunday. Cain’s photograph was also one of four photos of Texas receivers (along with Isaiah Neyor, Jordan Whittington and Xavier Worthy) in a Texas Football social media post Wednesday that read: “It’s all about the ball.”

Let’s just put it this way, the staff doesn’t put out feature photos on social media of players who aren’t expected to make an impact. Cain’s emergence would be a big development (literally) for the UT receiving corps, which desperately needs depth (and size) with 6-foot-3, 221-pound Troy Omeire (right knee) still not cleared and with speedster Brenen Thompson (5-11, 165) and physical wideout Savion Red (5-11, 210) arriving in June.

You can tell Sarkisian likes Marcus Washington’s energy, his blocking and his play on special teams. The question on Washington is - what else? - consistency as a pass-catcher and if he can be counted on in big moments? Time will tell on that. 

For Dixon, it’s always been about learning all the concepts that come with being a receiver in Sarkisian’s offense and not just relying on his speed. I’m hearing there’s progress in that area. And Cain’s last few practices and rising confidence should be a wakeup call to both Washington and Dixon.

RUNNING BACK

No shocker that Bijan Robinson and Roschon Johnson are the first two backs in the reps line. But junior Keilan Robinson has consistently been the No. 3 guy - ahead of freshman Jaydon Blue, redshirt freshman Jonathon Brooks and now linebacker-turned-running back Jaden Hullaby.

Robinson, who is 5-9 and 183, struggled in blitz pickup last year seemingly due to his size, which made it hard to put him on the field. (Blitz pickup is an area Brooks has excelled in, by the way.) But Robinson has come into the spring with a much more physical mindset when it comes to his blocking duties, which could lead to more situational playing time in 2022.

Blue may still be learning the ins and outs of the offense, but he has really impressed team sources with his ability to catch the football out of the backfield.

“He (Blue) is a threat to take it all the way every time he catches a simple pass out of the backfield,” one team source said. “And he has done that in practice - a few times.”

Prayers to Jonathon Brooks and his family after losing Brooks’ father - James “Skip” Brooks - to a sudden illness at the age of 49 on March 28.

With Roschon Johnson (6-2, 219) a senior, Sarkisian wants to see if Hullaby (6-2, 237), a sophomore, could develop into a big back role going forward.

QUARTERBACK

You didn’t think we’d forgotten about this little position battle, did ya?

The bottom line is redshirt sophomore Hudson Cardhas been the “steadier, more comfortable QB1 at this point - which isn’t unexpected,” said one team source.

That source went on to say of redshirt freshman transfer Quinn Ewers, “He’s definitely thrown more interceptions (than Card) this spring, but he’s also made some throws - even from a dirty pocket in team situations - that make you say, ‘Wow, OK then.’ So, we just need to keep working toward more of those ‘wow’ throws than those turnover throws.”

Sarkisian is working with Card on his pocket presence and having “contact courage” on the throws where the quarterback knows he’s going to take a hit in the chops after releasing the ball.

“Are they dropping their eyes and looking at the rush?” Sarkisian said. “Or are they keeping their vision downfield with the ball coming out on time - even when there’s a presence coming free in their face?

“We talk a lot about ‘contact courage,’ which most people think of a receiver going over the middle and making a tough catch, knowing he’s gonna get hit. But the quarterback has to have contact courage, too. I’m standing here and the three-technique (defensive tackle) beats the guard, and here comes a 300-pound guy, right in my face, and I’m asking him to stand there and deliver the ball and take that hit. That takes courage. But sometimes it takes getting hit like that to learn - ‘Hey, I got up. I’m OK.’ That’s what the great ones have. It’s been a point of emphasis for us with him (Card).”

At the same time, Sarkisian said he doesn’t want to take away Card’s ability to run on a broken play.

“Hudson is a really good athlete,” Sarkisian added. “And Hudson’s legs are a weapon for him. I know we don’t call a lot of designed runs for our quarterbacks. But third down or in the red area at different times, when there’s man coverage and he can escape and use his legs - that’s a weapon for us. The quarterback has to feel when that time is right.”

There seemed to be confusion among the quarterbacks last season in terms of the messaging from position coach A.J. Milwee (who really stressed keeping eyes downfield to keep a passing play alive and discouraged tucking and running) and from Sarkisian about when or how much the QBs should run. Seems like Sarkisian is trying to clarify things on that topic.

I think it’s interesting that most every teammate has described Ewers as “cool” and “laid-back,” and that Bijan Robinson said last week once Ewers “gets the offense down and gets more comfortable, that’s when his emotions will be seen by the team, and then he’ll really understand what he’s doing and get acclimated out here.”

If you listened to our Flagship Podcast interview with Ewers' high school coach at Southlake Carroll - Riley Dodge - Ewers is pretty unflappable all the time. To the point where Dodge said, "There were times I'd want him to show more fire as juice for his teammates. But that's not who he is. He's a cool customer."

Teammates say Card is being more vocal this year in everything he's doing, which is a start. Card lost points with coaches last season for sometimes getting quiet on the sideline after making a mistake or two, giving teammates the impression he was hanging his head. Coaches want to see the same vocal leadership they're seeing now from Card during adverse situations in games

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Yeah, I was hyping it up.

But these guys actual play making skills was over rated. Roy was something else.

And not all their fault, but we did only score 3 points versus OU one time with them playing. That may have been the game Johnson had nothing but green pastures with only Matt McCoy to stop him. The tackle was made easily.

Obviously the issue with Whittington is health, but he’s got more upside than either of those guys.

Whittington has more upside than the #1 overall WR recruit in the nation in his class? 

peyton manning what GIF by Gatorade

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

To be fair, Roy also had Chris Simms and Major Applewhite, not Hudson Card and Casey Thompson's 1 working thumb, plus he had actual other receiving threats around him (BJ Johnson had 41 catches, Hodges Mitchell had 37, Motrell Flowers had 22.

Meanwhile the guys who had the 2nd most catches on the team (26) missed 2 games and 5 games each (Bijan and Whittington), the next 2 guys behind that were Joshua Moore and Cade effing Brewer.

That 2000 team was also a significantly better team all the way around, 7-1 in Conference and #12 in Coaches Poll. lost by 3 points to Stanford and 5 to Oregon.

All of this to say, Roy Williams was a better college WR - but Worthy has the potential to be that good and break some of those program records or be in the top 5 - already #38 all time in program history in yards (won't break this just because he is going to be here 3 years), #47 in total catches (same, plus Shipley had almost 250 career catches at Texas despite only having 43 catches his first 2 years in the program) , #19 in recieving TDs (this would be hard to beat Roy at 36, but only needs to get to 20 to be #3 in program)

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

That is a ridiculous response. It makes no sense. You argued that Bijan was the reason for the run game and that the OL did not improve. I pointed out the improvement in the runnign game and how Bijan did not lead in yards per carry. You respond with some word soup about the 1st half of the OU game. I would love to hear why you think that is a relevant response. 

I did not lay out a full thesis, but a cursory overview.  The way I see it, a single game or two is not necessarily a great benchmark and it is also worth looking at the opponent.   The part about OU was snarky and absurd which was the intent of the post.    

I am wary about the end of the season improvements.  I recall Casey Thompson lead the Horns to kicking Colorado's ass and the offensive line looked solid for that game as well.   

Whittington has more upside than the #1 overall WR recruit in the nation in his class? 

200.gif

Did he produce to that ranking in college? Post college? From Day 1, Roy was better. And what collection of geniuses rated him higher than a 10.5, 25 foot long jump, large WR? If guys were retailed after college, I’m not sure BJ was top 50.

BJ was the #2 guy. I’d say the transfer is #2. He could be considered a better athlete. So that’d pit Whittington versus Thomas as #3. I’d choose Whittington, the moron that I am.

In the end, I’ll take production over ability. That’s what we need.

2 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

Oh

My

Fucking

Goodness

That kind of bullshit being fed by crooks selling football snake oil to ignorant fans is how you get some jackass on here saying we've had more skill position talent in 90 percent of our losses in recent years. 

Then the fan base thinks they have a contender when they really have a middle of the road team and the season is just a giant disappointment. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I did not lay out a full thesis, but a cursory overview.  The way I see it, a single game or two is not necessarily a great benchmark and it is also worth looking at the opponent.   The part about OU was snarky and absurd which was the intent of the post.    

I am wary about the end of the season improvements.  I recall Casey Thompson lead the Horns to kicking Colorado's ass and the offensive line looked solid for that game as well.   

that was a terrible Colorado team that was missing  bunch of players on defense. Colorado gave up 268 and 192 yards rushing in the 2 games preceding the Texas game. Plus that was a COVID year and they only played 6 total games. 

End of the season, just means what it means. The OL improved over the course of the 2020 season. They are replacing players and moving players around for 2021. I feel that Flood can improve the OL over the course of the year, similar to the 2020 season. The question is what will the starting point look like. 

17 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

that was a terrible Colorado team that was missing  bunch of players on defense. Colorado gave up 268 and 192 yards rushing in the 2 games preceding the Texas game. Plus that was a COVID year and they only played 6 total games. 

End of the season, just means what it means. The OL improved over the course of the 2020 season. They are replacing players and moving players around for 2021. I feel that Flood can improve the OL over the course of the year, similar to the 2020 season. The question is what will the starting point look like. 

I kind of feel that the players on the line are just subpar and worse yet, not teachable.   I hope I am wrong.  I just do not have much faith in this group.  and I am at the point that I think a bunch of FNGs walking in would be an upgrade.  I really hope you are correct.   

5 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I kind of feel that the players on the line are just subpar and worse yet, not teachable.   I hope I am wrong.  I just do not have much faith in this group.  and I am at the point that I think a bunch of FNGs walking in would be an upgrade.  I really hope you are correct.   

I think you just have been beaten down so much over the last 10 years, that saying anything positive is untenable. Acknowledging some positives, doesnt mean you believe that 10 wins are in the cards. Being 100% negative is just as bad as going full homer and 100% positive. I know its the internet, but its OK to acknowledge both the positive and negatives. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 4

13 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

Don Knotts did OK. This is Wife #2 of 3.

ixxgz3c68p5mimx8.jpg?skj2io4l

If you had not told me that is his wife I would have thought that was his sister. Eyes, chin, mouth, huge forehead and even the nose have a sibling type resemblance.

Edited by DanTheHorn

A little koolaid from Chris Hummer

Texas coach Steve Sarkisian enters an important second season at the helm in Austin after the Longhorns went 5-7 last year, and he has a big decision to make at quarterback between Ohio State transfer Quinn Ewers and Hudson Card, the incumbent. Spring football provides an early look at how that battle could play out, and Sarkisian wants to see an offense that overall looks ahead of last year in its second season with his coaching staff. The early word on Ewers' progress coming out of Texas is positive, 247Sports' Chris Hummer wrote.

"Many of the first-team reps at quarterback this spring have gone to Ewers’ competition, Hudson Card, who is a former top-100 recruit and started Texas’ 2021 season opener," Hummer wrote. "But one source recently told 247Sports that Steve Sarkisian and the Texas staff are thrilled with Ewers' progress and think he's better than advertised. In order to end up as the starter, Ewers needs to continue to learn the system and be consistent. Sarkisian sees consistency and steady decision-making as critical traits for his starting quarterback."

Card was a 4-star recruit in the 2020 class while Ewers, a 5-star prospect originally in the 2022 class, skipped his senior season to enroll at Ohio State last fall. Ewers then entered the NCAA transfer portal and headed back to Texas, where he had been committed before flipping to Ohio State.

As a redshirt freshman in 2021, Card completed 61.4% of his passes for five touchdowns against one interception. With Casey Thompson having transferred to Nebraska, either Card or Ewers will start for the Longhorns. Sarkisian spoke highly of both quarterbacks this week.

“They’re playing well,” Sarkisian said. “I think both those guys have natural ability to throw the ball, they’ve got a good feel for coverages and kind of trajectory on balls and where to throw them. I think they would both tell you, I always tell them ‘one play doesn’t define your practice,’ naturally, things happen, you miss a throw, you miss a read, and sometimes that can wear on you as a quarterback. One throw isn’t going to define who the starter is, we’re a work in progress, but they’re doing some nice things. The one thing that I appreciate about both of them, they’re both really coachable guys. And you guys know I coach that position hard, it’s the most important position in sports and we need them to operate at a certain level and both guys have taken to the coaching and are really trying to apply the things we are coaching them to do.

“There’s always things for us to improve upon with those guys and they're at different stages and different molds. The one thing, which we talked to them about before spring ball started, ‘Focus on what you need to do and where you’re trying to improve your game, not worrying about what the other guy is doing.’ And I think they’ve done that and I think they’ve been really supportive of one another and I’ve seen growth for sure, but we’re not a finished product.”

21 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Have we had a player-only meeting yet or does it happen mid-season after booking 3-4 losses?

This has to be a positive. It usually takes a .500 record for someone to get pissed. Maybe if they recognize there is an issue in April, instead of October/November, things can change.......maybe

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Someone mentioned having multiple guys blocking 1 pass rusher and others OL not blocking anyone on a play.  That reminded me of this play and the long discussion. That said I also think this is a great example of shitty QB play. There is no reason for this play to be an Int. That ball needs to come out earlier. QB looking straight at the rush and his safety valve is wide open. The deep ball is probably unaffected without the hitch in the wind up. This goes to my point earlier that sacks are not simply an OL stat. OL certainly screwed up here, but good QB play would have mitigated the issue. Bad QB play exacerbated it. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic