2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

31 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

The problem is really simple.  We hire bad head football coaches.  McWilliams, Mackovic, Strong, Herman, and Sark - how does any blue blood, much less the one who can pay the highest salary, end up with those guys?  It’s not even like we’ve been hiring Harbaugh types with long established track records who just inexplicably fail to live up to their reputations.   And Herman was the only one who was even the young up and coming hotshot!  It’s like we choose to live in that middle zone of hiring known mediocrities.  

When was the last time Texas has hired anyone who was unquestionably at the top of his game? Dana Bible? 

When was the last time a head coach left an NFL job for a college job when he wasn't already trending down (a la Kelly, Harbaugh)? 

It's almost like hiring a proven and consistent winner in the Power 5 is extraordinarily difficult despite the money. 

38 minutes ago, Fud said:

This isn't true based on what I've read. He wasn't good in practice yet demanded playing time. 

Well now he doesn’t have an automatic free transfer if he doesn’t feel he’s getting enough PT so hopefully that will force him to be patient.  He should be WR4 at worst so I expect he’ll get plenty of snaps. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Duane Moore said:

Well now he doesn’t have an automatic free transfer if he doesn’t feel he’s getting enough PT so hopefully that will force him to be patient.  He should be WR4 at worst so I expect he’ll get plenty of snaps. 

Maybe as the season goes on. He'll be starting from behind since others will have had more time learning the offense and building chemistry with the QBs

23 minutes ago, Eggo said:

When was the last time Texas has hired anyone who was unquestionably at the top of his game? Dana Bible? 

When was the last time a head coach left an NFL job for a college job when he wasn't already trending down (a la Kelly, Harbaugh)? 

It's almost like hiring a proven and consistent winner in the Power 5 is extraordinarily difficult despite the money. 

I agree but it seems to be changing as of late.  Fisher to aggy and Kelly to LSU are recent examples of lateral moves.  

4 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I agree but it seems to be changing as of late.  Fisher to aggy and Kelly to LSU are recent examples of lateral moves.  

This isn't a fair characterization in either example. 

Kelly to LSU is not a lateral move if the guy wants to win Championships. He's moving from a dwindling football power in middle america that will always be handicapped thanks to academics, to pound for pound arguably the most football talented state in the country, which also has the state locked down. For someone who wants to win big, this isn't a lateral move, it's a step up.

Fisher wasn't a lateral move either, no matter which side of the prism you want to view it. Historically, FSU to aTm would be a step down. But since Fisher unimaginably butt-fucked FSU so violently their steaming carcass still rests past the crust and in the earth's mantle...yeah, I'd say moving to aTm was a smart move on his part. The hole he dug in Tallahassee was so deep the two subsequent coaches are likely to fail trying to claw their way out of it. 

• Hook 'Em 6

27 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Alabama, LSU, Texas A&M, Ohio State, Michigan, USC, and UCLA (Chip Kelly counts even though he didn’t work out as planned) have all made big splash hires of proven winners since the mid 2000s.  You may still lose anyway, but it’s not so rare for big name schools to hire big name coaches.  It takes paying them the type of money that Riley, Brian Kelly and Jimbo fleeced out of their schools, but it’s a very Jerry Jones view of “wise spending” to think $5,000,000 a year for a guy with a meh track record is likely to be a better investment than $9,000,000 a year for a guy with a good one.

I'm not advocating for "wise spending" in the sense of bargain hunting, but in the case of Fisher, aggy guaranteed him for 10 years because of what he did in the middle years of his FSU tenure. I think it makes a lot more sense and maybe even has a higher probability of success to hire a young guy who just might exceed expectations than to embarrass yourself with mediocrity out of a big splash hire. At the end of the day, there's still a high probability of failure. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

This is lazy and tired.  If you're going to make this assertion, name names and actions.  What specifically does administration do to make it an uphill battle?  Who does it?  Just saying "durrrr...Plonsky!" is insufficient.  I've seen the administration raising a shit ton of money for improvements, massive budget for assistant coaches, basically giving Sark whatever he's asked for - I certainly haven't heard of the admin leaving Football wanting for anything.  So what is it?

Send me $9.95 and I'll tell you.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

This isn't true based on what I've read. He wasn't good in practice yet demanded playing time. 

I think it is a bit of both. This is just me speculating. Hall came in as an early enrollee. He kicked ass in spring.  He read the clippings. Came into fall with the attitude that he would be handed playing time and it didnt work out that way. That my guess, after see shit like that play out for Texas. Difference being Saban, can actually play hard ball with talented kids. 

I refuse to believe Neyor would bolt at this point, because another guy committed on which he will have a giant head start. That would be some of the bitchiest behavior we've seen in some time. Unless he was already getting his shit pushed in practice by the DBs and was overly sensitive and knew he wasn't getting any playing time. Which seems absurd and contrary to reports. 

2DVUokEu_bigger.jpg     Texas Football      @TexasFootball

Come meet the Horns! 🤘 ✍️ Texas Football autograph signing Saturday, April 23rd. 2-3 p.m.  South of Gate 1 on Bevo Blvd. presented by H-E-B Fans will receive the official 2022 Texas Football poster to be signed. Limit one per person. No outside items will be permitted.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I refuse to believe Neyor would bolt at this point, because another guy committed on which he will have a giant head start. That would be some of the bitchiest behavior we've seen in some time. Unless he was already getting his shit pushed in practice by the DBs and was overly sensitive and knew he wasn't getting any playing time. Which seems absurd and contrary to reports. 

Agree, I think it is just overly sensitive twitter lurkers. If he doesn't like our DBs, I am not sure what he would expect to find at Florida or another big school. Plus, it is not like anyone is expecting Hall to come in and start opposite Worthy next year. If anything, I view him as insurance for if one of our top 3 guys go down. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Codaxx said:

I think it is a bit of both. This is just me speculating. Hall came in as an early enrollee. He kicked ass in spring.  He read the clippings. Came into fall with the attitude that he would be handed playing time and it didnt work out that way. That my guess, after see shit like that play out for Texas. Difference being Saban, can actually play hard ball with talented kids. 

He’s not behind two all conference WRs here. We’ve got Worthy and basically nobody. Whittington doesn’t count bc he’s always injured 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

He’s not behind two all conference WRs here. We’ve got Worthy and basically nobody. Whittington doesn’t count bc he’s always injured 

Someone on this thread posited that this is possibly the most talented WR group in the HISTORY of Texas football.

lol

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, markstanco said:

Cool. Was this shit introduced this year or was this used during the Kansas loss and the 5-7 campaign last year?

You sound like all the aggies on Twitter. UT announces anything at all, the responses are a chorus of "yeah but kansas lol" 

• Hook 'Em 5

11 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Nayor isn’t a nobody. He comes to Texas with an impressive highlight reel during a great season, as opposed to leaving an indefinite suspension at his other school.

Always glad to pick up any player with talent like Hall, but if he just manages to be a solid No. 3 receiver this season, I’ll be ecstatic.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 1

You sound like all the aggies on Twitter. UT announces anything at all, the responses are a chorus of "yeah but kansas lol" 

Did Kansas at home not happen? I’m sure I am not the only one who rolls their eyes at these fluff pieces for the last decade plus. Don’t get me wrong, I will root for my team but these “look what we are doing” pieces mean nothing until it shows up on the field.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Someone on this thread posited that this is possibly the most talented WR group in the HISTORY of Texas football.

lol

That was me. only it wasn’t WR group. It was the starting 3.

But damn if I didn’t under-appreciate Marcus Washington.

Worthy is not as talented as Roy Williams, but he’s quite gifted. If you think Johnson or Thomas were/are more talented than Whittington, ok. But Johnson was the #1 ranked WR coming out of high school. And Thomas did average 22 catches and 3 TDs per year while here in route to being drafted in Round 7. Neyor is an unknown at this level, but he transferrred with the nfl in his eyes.

If the most talented group we can throw together includes a late round pick and a free agent, then it ain’t all that spectacular. If you don’t think this core group at least has the potential to exceed that, then more power to you. The NFL drafts on talent projection not production.
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Did Kansas at home not happen? I’m sure I am not the only one who rolls their eyes at these fluff pieces for the last decade plus. Don’t get me wrong, I will root for my team but these “look what we are doing” pieces mean nothing until it shows up on the field.

Sometimes a cool video on how tech is used within the football program can just be a cool video on how tech is used by the football program.

Not everything on here is a state of the football union address or a media fluff piece on how we’re winning it all.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Sometimes a cool video on how tech is used within the football program can just be a cool video on how tech is used by the football program.

Not everything on here is a state of the football union address or a media fluff piece on how we’re winning it all.

• Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, markstanco said:

It wasn't a fluff piece. 

4 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

We have a coach that exploits WR talent for the first time in History so don be surprised if the numbers of this group exceeds any other. IMHO, Shipley and Cosby was the best tandem we have ever had. Also happened to have a great QB throwing to them with a shitty OC calling the plays.

Be fair. Examine the shitty OC and his career. The only times he was more than a .500 coach was when FUPM was telling him what to practice and what to call. When it worked, FUPM was the genius, and when it didn't work GDGD was a moron.

Via FCB

I’m hearing Saturday's Orange-White Spring Game won’t be much of a game, but rather more of “a practice with situational scrimmage elements,” according to a source.

“There won’t be stats or even a score that’s kept,” the source said. “There’s not enough depth to split up teams.”

The reason for that is primarily the lack of depth on the offensive line, which has been further complicated by the high ankle sprain suffered by sophomore tackle Andrej Karic. He’ll end up missing the final seven of UT’s 15 spring practices.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Nivek said:

All I got out of that video was ADHD.

I don’t know what I just saw.

Watch the OL get pushed back... Watch outside rushers come free, then pull up so they're not crushing there QB. Even in that small clip, you could see we're going to be a run for your life offense... 

• Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

We are banking on the HS OL to come in ready to play and not soft and out of shape.

Jason Bateman Cotton GIF

2 walkons, one of our lowest rated freshman lineman (underrated but still), a guy who has been injured his whole career and a converted defensive tackle as our second team OLine. Whatever these 5 star and high four star freshmen are when they get here, they will be better than our second team line from day 1. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

We are banking on the HS OL to come in ready to play and not soft and out of shape.

Jason Bateman Cotton GIF

Yeah and luckily we are bringing in EIGHT more of them! Out of those 8 you are banking that 2 are ready to play right now and 3 if you're lucky. Assuming that you made good evals, its's really not too big of a risk.

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The freshman class at OL for Texas in 2022 will be one of the highest performing groups at OL ever recruited. We will be shocked at how much more effective everything on offense is when Banks is starting at LT and Campbell is either alongside him at LG or on the other side at RG. People are going to shake their heads in disbelief at their lack of faith in what these guys and Flood can get done versus everything that existed before them on the roster. 

I’ve heard talks of Campbell at center potentially

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic