2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

Brief team notes from IT:

By: Justin, Gerry, and Eric

Team

*This week in 7 on 7 sources indicate quarterbacks Hudson Card and Quinn Ewers split reps with 1st and 2nd team evenly. One source thought Ewers was slightly more assertive. Both quarterbacks are helping to lead the player driven aspects of practice.

*Isaiah Neyor announced his presence with authority with a scoring grab on Thursday. Roschon Johnson continues to have good hands out of the backfield.

*The standard practice day (Tuesday and Thursday) is applying what they learned in the classroom earlier in the morning directly to the field. This helps the players retain info and that’s paramount with so many new players in the program. The freshmen are slowly assimilating into the process, naturally, as Sarkisian and the coaches don't want to overload the newcomers with too much. To varying degrees, their heads will be swimming regardless.

*A couple bright spots have been incoming freshmen Brenen Thompson and Kelvin Banks.

*Of course the first thing you expect to hear about Thompson, his speed, is the first thing we heard about him. Getting separation hasn't been too much of a problem for the 10.21 100m sprinter. With the large number of routes in the Sarkisian playbook, running the deep cross might be Thompson's best, after scoring a touchdown on that route this week. The staff views Thompson as a great scheme fit and he’s expected to play this year.

*For Banks, the early report is he's very well-prepared and is picking up the install sessions quickly. Based on his reputation in high school that’s what we expected to hear, but you never know for sure. At 6-foot-5, 320 pounds, he's already an imposing figure, but his intellect and work ethic are the first attributes IT hears from source. His calm, mature disposition give a lead-by-example vibe. These are very early returns but they’re what you’d hope to hear.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Brief team notes from IT:

By: Justin, Gerry, and Eric

Team

*This week in 7 on 7 sources indicate quarterbacks Hudson Card and Quinn Ewers split reps with 1st and 2nd team evenly. One source thought Ewers was slightly more assertive. Both quarterbacks are helping to lead the player driven aspects of practice.

*Isaiah Neyor announced his presence with authority with a scoring grab on Thursday. Roschon Johnson continues to have good hands out of the backfield.

*The standard practice day (Tuesday and Thursday) is applying what they learned in the classroom earlier in the morning directly to the field. This helps the players retain info and that’s paramount with so many new players in the program. The freshmen are slowly assimilating into the process, naturally, as Sarkisian and the coaches don't want to overload the newcomers with too much. To varying degrees, their heads will be swimming regardless.

*A couple bright spots have been incoming freshmen Brenen Thompson and Kelvin Banks.

*Of course the first thing you expect to hear about Thompson, his speed, is the first thing we heard about him. Getting separation hasn't been too much of a problem for the 10.21 100m sprinter. With the large number of routes in the Sarkisian playbook, running the deep cross might be Thompson's best, after scoring a touchdown on that route this week. The staff views Thompson as a great scheme fit and he’s expected to play this year.

*For Banks, the early report is he's very well-prepared and is picking up the install sessions quickly. Based on his reputation in high school that’s what we expected to hear, but you never know for sure. At 6-foot-5, 320 pounds, he's already an imposing figure, but his intellect and work ethic are the first attributes IT hears from source. His calm, mature disposition give a lead-by-example vibe. These are very early returns but they’re what you’d hope to hear.

If we hit on Banks, then I think we are cooking with gas this year. Glad to hear his name mentioned early. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Kelvin Banks is definitely, totally going to be ready to block Will Anderson in his second-ever college game. I'll not hear a word otherwise.

I have already signed off on Bama being a nightmare of epic proportions featuring Will Anderson and Dallas Turner. I was more thinking about B12 play. 

16 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I have already signed off on Bama being a nightmare of epic proportions featuring Will Anderson and Dallas Turner. I was more thinking about B12 play. 

Agreed, people keep citing the fact that A&M had two freshman on their line last year when they played Bama but A&M’s left tackle was an upperclassman transfer. 

29 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Kelvin Banks is definitely, totally going to be ready to block Will Anderson in his second-ever college game. I'll not hear a word otherwise.

Kelvin cant block him and neither can 95% OTs in college football 

• Hook 'Em 1

This is what I want Sark to tell em pre game....

Great moments are born from great opportunity, and that's what you have here tonight, boys. That's what you've earned here tonight. One game; if we played them ten times, they might win nine. But not this game, not tonight. Tonight, we skate with them. Tonight we stay with them, and we shut them down because we can. Tonight, we are the greatest hockey team in the world.
  You were born to be hockey players—every one of you, and you were meant to be here tonight. This is your time. Their time is done. It's over. I'm sick and tired of hearing about what a great hockey team the Soviets have. Screw 'em. This is your time. Now go out there and take it!"

well.....minus that part about hockey and skating and all....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Yup, they will obviously scheme help on his side.  The question, can the other OL hold up with their matchups…

and that is why the Bama talk  is worthless. There are not going to be many teams that can hold up vs Anderson and Turner. Anderson had 3 sacks in his first 5 games. Turner started the 6th game and Anderson had 14.5 on the next 10 games, while Turner added 8.5

This is what I want Sark to tell em pre game....
Great moments are born from great opportunity, and that's what you have here tonight, boys. That's what you've earned here tonight. One game; if we played them ten times, they might win nine. But not this game, not tonight. Tonight, we skate with them. Tonight we stay with them, and we shut them down because we can. Tonight, we are the greatest hockey team in the world.
  You were born to be hockey players—every one of you, and you were meant to be here tonight. This is your time. Their time is done. It's over. I'm sick and tired of hearing about what a great hockey team the Soviets have. Screw 'em. This is your time. Now go out there and take it!"

well.....minus that part about hockey and skating and all....

We’ve had olinemen on skates since 2006
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 2

We all know what's going to happen against Bama. On their first play from scrimmage you hear all the cowbells, the cheering, the yelling, and then they go for 32 yards.

Then you're thinking "all good, just need to hold them to a FG here and we're good."  Once again, cowbells, cheering, yelling… followed by another 32 yards.

3 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

We all know what's going to happen against Bama. On their first play from scrimmage you hear all the cowbells, the cheering, the yelling, and then they go for 32 yards.

Then you're thinking "all good, just need to hold them to a FG here and we're good."  Once again, cowbells, cheering, yelling… followed by another 32 yards.

Or we could get a pick six on the first third down of the game. Then get completely fucked from there on out. Really thought we turned the corner when Hilton Hill did that against Maryland. 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, OB3 said:

Or we could get a pick six on the first third down of the game. Then get completely fucked from there on out. Really thought we turned the corner when Hilton Hill did that against Maryland. 

I fine with any scenario except the one where we stop Bama early deep in their own territory causing Saban to call an idiotic fake punt where one of our DBs intercepts the ill fated pass effectively saving Saban from himself and then leading to loosing our starting QB running a play he probably wouldn’t have been attempting if said DB just slapped the ball down on the early stupid fake punt call.  Yeah, I know, that’s pretty far fetched.  

• Rage+1 4

Eighty percent of the posters on this thread are either miserable human beings or miserable human beings who created bots to run out the same tired shit about Card whenever his name come up. His name in this post will prompt the same entities.

In this case the MHs will say stuff like:

• So you think he's going to beat Alabama? You're an idiot.
  • You saying he didn't suck most of the time he played last year? 
  • He's not beating out Ewers.
  • etc.

Someone writes, pretty clearly tongue in cheek, that we're going to win everything, and the humorless MHs and bots swarm him.

If you're going to keep doing this, at least find some fresh material. If you find yourself making a keen or ironic reference to the Arkansas game, stay your hand. Better, just don't keep doing this when all it does is bloat every thread with the same old shit from the same old MHs. 

Or just fuck off. You're not clearing the remarkably low bar for wit on Surly.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

Eighty percent of the posters on this thread are either miserable human beings or miserable human beings who created bots to run out the same tired shit about Card whenever his name come up. His name in this post will prompt the same entities.

• etc.

Someone writes, pretty clearly tongue in cheek, that we're going to win everything, and the humorless MHs and bots swarm him.

If you're going to keep doing this, at least find some fresh material. If you find yourself making a keen or ironic reference to the Arkansas game, stay your hand. Better, just don't keep doing this when all it does is bloat every thread with the same old shit from the same old MHs. 

So you're telling me Card starts? What an idiot!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, victory88 said:

Yup, they will obviously scheme help on his side.  The question, can the other OL hold up with their matchups…

We'll be fine.

As long as the opposing defense does not stunt, swim/spin move, absolutely no blitzing or overloading a side and zero bull rushing. Our opponents should play like our DL plays,  fair & kind.

2 hours ago, Hermanator said:

I would be fine never taking a QB from an Austin area HS, especially the richy rich white ones, if it means never having to hear this fan base do this shit again. 

So drew brees, baker mayfield, sam ehlinger, nick foles, garrett gilbert, hudson card and Cade Klubnick aren't doin it for ya? Ironically Quinn Ewers and Andrew Luck fits the mold, just from Dallas and Houston respectively. Should we ditch those guys too?

• Hook 'Em 3

39 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

So drew brees, baker mayfield, sam ehlinger, nick foles, garrett gilbert, hudson card and Cade Klubnick aren't doin it for ya? Ironically Quinn Ewers and Andrew Luck fits the mold, just from Dallas and Houston respectively. Should we ditch those guys too?

Stafford > Luck

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

No because they aren't from rich white Austin area schools so the fanbase doesn't turn into a streaming pile of HS fan boy shit about it and whine constantly about their precious Westlake or lake Travis boys. 

I'd rather the team suck than have to listen to you HS fan boy idiots cry. 

• Rage+1 1

I fine with any scenario except the one where we stop Bama early deep in their own territory causing Saban to call an idiotic fake punt where one of our DBs intercepts the ill fated pass effectively saving Saban from himself and then leading to loosing our starting QB running a play he probably wouldn’t have been attempting if said DB just slapped the ball down on the early stupid fake punt call.  Yeah, I know, that’s pretty far fetched.  

I would also add “giving up a TD when calling a zero blitz on 3rd and 17, down 6 with 4 mins left, when the opponent hasn’t stopped you at all in the second half” to the list of wildly far fetched scenarios I’d rather not see.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Todd Reesing is the GOAT

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

22 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

• etc.

I think Ewers starts. It is because of his ability to throw the deep ball and also Sarks foray into the portal to grab speed at WR. Just my read, but I believe Sark is saying “We have to be able to throw a deep ball in 2022” based on his moves.  That said it is possible that Card improves and starts to let it go. He clearly has legit arm talent. I personally think he is too careful with the ball. I am sure someone will bring up the Kansas interception, because I said that. It’s Surly, so they will focus on his 1 interception in 83 attempts and forget the rest. Cards biggest issue is he will wait in the driveway until all the traffics lights are green. If the defense was a top 3 Big 12 unit and the run game could average 6+ per carry, I might pick Card to start. I don’t think anyone thinks that is likely. This team will need more of a play maker at QB, opposed to a game manager that limits mistakes 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Vertigo said:

So drew brees, baker mayfield, sam ehlinger, nick foles, garrett gilbert, hudson card and Cade Klubnick aren't doin it for ya? 

You're making the point.

Only one of those players has delivered a winning season at The University of Texas at Austin. So, they literally didn't do it for us.

I think Ewers starts. It is because of his ability to throw the deep ball and also Sarks foray into the portal to grab speed at WR. Just my read, but I believe Sark is saying “We have to be able to throw a deep ball in 2022” based on his moves.  That said it is possible that Card improves and starts to let it go. He clearly has legit arm talent. I personally think he is too careful with the ball. I am sure someone will bring up the Kansas interception, because I said that. It’s Surly, so they will focus on his 1 interception in 83 attempts and forget the rest. Cards biggest issue is he will wait in the driveway until all the traffics lights are green. If the defense was a top 3 Big 12 unit and the run game could average 6+ per carry, I might pick Card to start. I don’t think anyone thinks that is likely. This team will need more of a play maker at QB, opposed to a game manager that limits mistakes 

Hard to judge Card IMO based off of last year. Not sure why people rush to write him off.

3 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Hard to judge Card IMO based off of last year. Not sure why people rush to write him off.

I haven’t written him off, but I can’t think of a great QB at Texas that did not show some sort of flash of that talent early in their college careers. I just haven’t noticed that from Card. With McCoy and Applewhite, you saw right away they were something special.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I haven’t written him off, but I can’t think of a great QB at Texas that did not show some sort of flash of that talent early in their college careers. I just haven’t noticed that from Card. With McCoy and Applewhite, you saw right away they were something special.  

Exactly this, you will always see flashes of a guy’s ceiling.

Card showed flashes of competence.

1 hour ago, Nope said:

Exactly this, you will always see flashes of a guy’s ceiling.

Card showed flashes of competence.

After a shaky first series, he looked good in the WV game. He had a few throws during the season that displayed serious talent. My doubts aren’t about his arm talent, it is really about his head. Card has not shown the ability to forget the last play. Even worse he has shown that 1 mistake will lead to extreme conservatism (ie. Holding the ball). Most young QBs have issues, but I always think it is easier to get someone to hold a punch than to get them to throw a punch 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

After a shaky first series, he looked good in the WV game. He had a few throws during the season that displayed serious talent. My doubts aren’t about his arm talent, it is really about his head. Card has not shown the ability to forget the last play. Even worse he has shown that 1 mistake will lead to extreme conservatism (ie. Holding the ball). Most young QBs have issues, but I always think it is easier to get someone to hold a punch than to get them to throw a punch 

Ewers seems (all TBD at this point of course) like a gunslinger. He will make some mistakes but he doesn’t seem like he will dwell on it. He will be back out there taking shots. Card seems like he struggled to shake it off. It lingered and affected his play.

1 minute ago, TexEx15 said:

Ewers seems (all TBD at this point of course) like a gunslinger. He will make some mistakes but he doesn’t seem like he will dwell on it. He will be back out there taking shots. Card seems like he struggled to shake it off. It lingered and affected his play.

Yes, reminds me of Keontay Ingram. Only it’s is even worse for a QB, than a RB

Appleturnover. VY benched for Mock during Texas Tech. The inverse is true as well.

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

This.  And, I mean, wtf people.  We went 5-7 last year, Card was benched and was worse than Casey Thompson, and our funding apparatus committed (most likely) millions to get Ewers to transfer here.  How do any of you think this is even a question?

The Office Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

seriously.....Card is out there for one reason and one reason only......If Ewers is hurt, someone has to take the snaps. If Card has the arm talent, great! We all need to hope against hope that if Ewers does go down, Card can pull his head out of his ass and play at least average....

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic