2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

23 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Sorrell looks like a million bucks and played well in spot duty last year so I bet he can be a solid contributor. But yes, the outlook is bleak on the edge if we don't get Mathis. Ovie shouldn't be a 3 down player. Situational pass rush only. 

Hopefully they add an inside LB to pair with Ford and kick Overshown out to SAM in the summer/fall. That would upgrade us at several spots.

I honestly dont know what to do with Ovie. He just has no feel for the game of football. I think athletically he can be good at football, but his lack of awareness is just next level. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I honestly dont know what to do with Ovie. He just has no feel for the game of football. I think athletically he can be good at football, but his lack of awareness is just next level. 

he should be a rusher on obvious passing downs..

9 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

he should be a rusher on obvious passing downs..

Even that is not good. The worst spot for a pass rusher is 2 yards past the QB. 80% of the time this is where you will find Ovie. Keep in mind Ben Davis, not to be confused with Lawrence Taylor, led Texas with an amazing 2.5 sacks. So saying anyone on the Texas roster should be a situational pass rusher based on last is a huge stretch. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

image.png.d993f45fc4efb270307236cd248413c3.png

1) Why is a reporter asking a coach during spring practice about completion %?

2) What is the context of this question? There’s lots of “…” thrown in the response

3) Looks like Thompson was at 63.2% and C*** was at 61.5% a season ago.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

1) Why is a reporter asking a coach during spring practice about completion %?

2) What is the context of this question? There’s lots of “…” thrown in the response

3) Looks like Thompson was at 63.2% and C*** was at 61.5% a season ago.

So from point 3 we can draw the conclusion that reasonably confirming Ewers as starter? lol

Yeah it's pretty random and I'd like to know the context as well.

56 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

We aint winning shit if the starting QBs are only completing 65% of their passes. Mac Jones was 77% in his last year. Helps to have a Heisman trophy winner running routes and catching the ball. We *should* have 2, 3 if one can ever stay healthy, really good receivers this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Good lord. Just listened to the presser. It was Bohls who asked the question. “Obviously Quinn has a big arm that will help your vertical passing game, but is he not a higher percentage accuracy guy that will be in the 65-70% range and instead in the 50-55% range?”

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Thiefery said:

i wish they grabbed whomever was the starting LB at angelo st and maybe we would win a conference championship too like Baylor a year ago

There was an article from, I think, ProFootballFocus that graded out 422 college LBs from last season. If I remember correctly, Brockermeyer was next to last and Overshown was in the 380s. Odds are, we could grab a player from almost any school and it would be an upgrade. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

There was an article from, I think, ProFootballFocus that graded out 422 college LBs from last season. If I remember correctly, Brockermeyer was next to last and Overshown was in the 380s. Odds are, we could grab a player an entire defense from almost any school and it would be an upgrade. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

There was an article from, I think, ProFootballFocus that graded out 422 college LBs from last season. If I remember correctly, Brockermeyer was next to last and Overshown was in the 380s. Odds are, we could grab a player from almost any school and it would be an upgrade. 

The same PFF who had Kennedy Brooks as the 2nd highest graded Big 12 RB in 2020 despite the fact he opted out of the season due to covid concerns?

I get what you are saying, and they weren't good, but PFF isn't gospel. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 3/24/2022 at 11:26 AM, JFKFC said:

Are we not adding anymore players between now and fall camp? Based on Sark not adding any O-line & LB transfers that are difference-makers last offseason and so far this offseason, I don't think so.

Like clockwork a portal offer goes out

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

This team just has way too many question marks.  We’re basically relying on a freshman QB and freshman LT to solve our issues on offense.  Granted they are both very talented prospects, it’s still not a recipe for success.

I feel a lot better about the offense.  This defense is hot trash and even if we get a Mathis, LB and S are still huge questions marks.  On top of that, we have no elite, hell even decent pass rushers on this team.  Pair that with a coaching staff that got punked game after game last year… I’m not feeling all that hot about this defense.

8 wins would be progress but meh.  I would not be surprised to see us at the 6-7 win mark.  9 wine and above, I’ll be ecstatic.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

The same PFF who had Kennedy Brooks as the 2nd highest graded Big 12 RB in 2020 despite the fact he opted out of the season due to covid concerns?

I get what you are saying, and they weren't good, but PFF isn't gospel. 

I have been pretty harsh on Overshown, but anyone thinking he is the 380th best LB is a fucking moron 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, victory88 said:

This team just has way too many question marks.  We’re basically relying on a freshman QB and freshman LT to solve our issues on offense.  Granted they are both very talented prospects, it’s still not a recipe for success.

I feel a lot better about the offense.  This defense is hot trash and even if we get a Mathis, LB and S are still huge questions marks.  On top of that, we have no elite, hell even decent pass rushers on this team.  Pair that with a coaching staff that got punked game after game last year… I’m not feeling all that hot about this defense.

8 wins would be progress but meh.  I would not be surprised to see us at the 6-7 win mark.  9 wine and above, I’ll be ecstatic.

Bbc Pbs GIF by Sherlock

Edited by Thiefery
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

They didn't even rate him in 2020.

Screenshot_20220329-204604_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by pacman
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I have been pretty harsh on Overshown, but anyone thinking he is the 380th best LB is a fucking moron 

I watched his highlight video the other day. He can do some things.  He has times in which he attacks the LOS.  He’s not a traditional LBer though so he’ll be inconsistent at the point of attack and take the easy way and not fight some blocks.  He’d be even better with other playmakers.

I don’t want to be too positive and get torn a new one, but I feel good about his upcoming season.  And yeah no way are there that many dudes better than him.

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

F7D871F5-E0E8-4646-85A1-97239079C344.thumb.jpeg.e97de674ccd8af03fa00b167a486305b.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

As long as we beat Kansas we should all consider it a successful season

• Haha 1

Will Gallagher/Inside Texas

Welcome to Inside Texas Today! Each weekday morning, Inside Texas Today will provide the latest news and notes from around the Forty Acres, including notable events, analysis, and where to watch Texas Longhorns sports that day.

Here’s the Wednesday, March 30, 2022 edition.

[Get four months of Inside Texas Plus for just $1]

Isaiah Neyor already impressing Steve Sarkisian

Texas looked for help at the wide receiver position in the transfer portal this offseason. At one point, it appeared Wyoming transfer Isaiah Neyor would say “thanks, but no thanks” to Longhorns head coach Steve Sarkisian and wide receivers coach Brennan Marion.

Neyor, who caught 44 passes for 878 yards and 12 touchdowns with the Cowboys in 2021, committed to the Tennessee Volunteers on January 8. But 12 days later, he flipped his commitment from one UT to another, just in time to enroll in classes in Austin and be on campus for the spring semester.

During that time, Neyor made progress in offseason conditioning and impressed Sarkisian. So far in practice, he has moved his way to second on the depth chart behind Marcus Washington at one of the outside wide receiver positions.

“He’s a big, physical guy,” Sarkisian said Tuesday. “I think that he, as much as anybody, winter conditioning really helped him 1) get acclimated to the program and 2) his body has just really changed dramatically. He looks great. He’s a physical player. He’s probably got a little more speed than I gave him credit for when we got him.”

Neyor wouldn’t have flipped to Texas without seeing an inviting depth chart. Two of Texas’ top six players in receiving yards from last year, Joshua Moore and Cade Brewer, won’t be around for the 2022 season. Of the other four, one is running back Bijan Robinson, and outside of Xavier Worthy, no other receiver hauled in more than 26 catches last season.

Neyor sees opportunity, and according to Sarkisian, he is attempting to seize it.

“He’s competitive guy, he’s a great learner, and he’s dedicated to what his craft is and what he’s doing,” Sarkisian said. “On that front, very impressed with him.”

An update on Maalik Murphy

On3’s Griffin McVeigh posted an article yesterday detailing Sarkisian’s response for what was ahead of Maalik Murphy now that he is out of his walking boot.

Murphy may get some throws in during non-contact drills at the tail end of the 15 spring practices, but for now he’s working with the Texas strength and conditioning staff on the side during practice, trying to get the ankle he injured in his California state championship game back to full strength.

• Hook 'Em 2

Will Gallagher/Inside Texas - OL

Derek Kerestetter manned the right tackle position well in 2021, eventually earning All-Big 12 first-team honors. The results from whoever rotated in at the four spots to his left were nothing worthy of an honorable mention.

[Get four months of Inside Texas Plus for just $1]

Christian Jones won the left tackle spot in camp and was thought to be on his way to a stellar year. The season ended with a stretch of games that saw him rotate with Andrej Karic, neither doing enough to truly pull away from the other. Denzel Okafor started at left guard before his season ended versus Oklahoma due to a knee injury. That forced previous right guard Junior Angilau to flip to left guard, where he started every game in the second half of the season.

Jake Majors, still in his second season playing center, was plagued by the issues that befell his linemates. Tope Imade ended his sixth collegiate year strong against Kansas State, but there were still regular showings as to why he struggled to find playing time during his Texas career.

The inconsistent nature of Texas’ offensive line play was evident in various portions of the season. Like at the beginning versus Arkansas, when they struggled to stop a three-man rush. Or at the midway point against Oklahoma. Same with the Iowa State game that lengthened Texas’ losing streak to four games, where Texas once again struggled to stop a three-man rush.

With Okafor, Imade, and Kerstetter having exhausted eligibility, nearly every spot on the offensive line save for Majors’ is up for grabs. Lack of clarity along the majority of the line is a big reason behind Texas’ historic offensive line haul in the 2022 class. Those guys are coming to Texas because they believe there’s an ability to play early and often, among other things.

That written, all but Cole Hutson from the #22EFFECT class won’t arrive on campus until June. Accordingly, Texas is having to adjust to the low numbers along the offensive line.

Past previews: Wide receiver | Running back | Tight end | Quarterback

2022 offensive linemen

Departures: Rafiti Ghirmai (transfer portal), Tope Imade (graduation), Derek Kerstetter (graduation), Denzel Okafor (graduation), Tyler Johnson (left program)

Returners: Sawyer Goram-Welch, Michael Balis (walk-on), Jake Majors, Chad Wolf (walk-on) Andrej Karic, Christian Jones, Logan Parr, Isaiah Hookfin, Junior Angilau, Hayden Conner, Jaylen Garth, Max Merril

Newcomers: Cole Hutson (early enrollee)

Signees: Devon Campbell, Kelvin Banks, Neto Umeozulu, Cameron Williams, Malik Agbo, Connor Robertson

2022 preview

With just enough numbers for a two-deep of scholarship linemen, there is going to be a surplus of reps available for each linemen, from the walk-ons to returning seniors like Angilau and Jones. Considering the performance of the line last year, that’s a lot of extra work under Flood’s tutelage for players who could stand improvement.

Those opportunities may also give them a small-leg up for their coming competitions with members of the 2022 class. While there are a couple of long-term developmental projects in the 2022 class, there are also players like Campbell and Banks who have sights set on immediate playing time. But they don’t arrive until June, meaning players like Conner, Jones, and Karic can work with Flood in an attempt to try to hold off the five-star freshman (though the extra time still may not be enough).

Of course, health is important too. More reps equals more contact which means added risk of injury. Flood and Sarkisian will need to be cognizant of the need to make it through the spring while still getting in the needed work not just for the line, but for the entire team on both sides of the ball.

• Hook 'Em 1

Bobby on QBs

While Hudson Card has had a solid spring thus far, and typically trots out with the 1s first during practice, it’s not like Quinn Ewers is off to a bad start at Texas.

In fact, in talking to someone close to the program last night, the Southlake product is completing more than 75-percent of his passes in scrimmage and team work as of yesterday.

And as Steve Sarkisian specifically told Joe Cook and other reporters following yesterday’s workout, anytime a QB is over 70-percent, with as aggressive as Sark wants to be downfield, it’s a great barometer for what Sark wants to accomplish on offense.

Bobby on QBs

While Hudson Card has had a solid spring thus far, and typically trots out with the 1s first during practice, it’s not like Quinn Ewers is off to a bad start at Texas.

In fact, in talking to someone close to the program last night, the Southlake product is completing more than 75-percent of his passes in scrimmage and team work as of yesterday.

And as Steve Sarkisian specifically told Joe Cook and other reporters following yesterday’s workout, anytime a QB is over 70-percent, with as aggressive as Sark wants to be downfield, it’s a great barometer for what Sark wants to accomplish on offense.

Or absolute shit defense.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

I keep looking at our 2022 recruiting class and it gives me a little more hope at DE if we land Mathis. We may not be world beaters at DE but we will be much stronger than last year after Jacoby Jones went down and probably better than before he was lost. At linebacker and OT, we are pretty much fucked though. I seriously doubt that a fall enrollee is going to step in quickly at OT and it doesn't even look like we are considering transfers. And at linebacker we have no incoming help from recruiting and any opportunity to improve the position will have to come from transfers who will come in this summer.

11 hours ago, Had Enough said:

I watched his highlight video the other day. He can do some things.  He has times in which he attacks the LOS.  He’s not a traditional LBer though so he’ll be inconsistent at the point of attack and take the easy way and not fight some blocks.  He’d be even better with other playmakers.

I don’t want to be too positive and get torn a new one, but I feel good about his upcoming season.  And yeah no way are there that many dudes better than him.

When he has the opportunity to see ball, chase ball, he is actually pretty damn good. He handles misdirection like Stevie Wonders handles a Rubiks Cube. He lacks physicality at the point of attack. Solid in coverage. Right now he is an athlete playing LB. Ton of upside, if he can develop some instincts and pick up the nuances of the position. 

6 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

When he has the opportunity to see ball, chase ball, he is actually pretty damn good. He handles misdirection like Stevie Wonders handles a Rubiks Cube. He lacks physicality at the point of attack. Solid in coverage. Right now he is an athlete playing LB. Ton of upside, if he can develop some instincts and pick up the nuances of the position. 

Is Stevie Wonder good or bad at Rubiks Cube? 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm just going to put forward that Ewers is probably actually ahead of Card, the people in charge/attendance just can't see that. This happens every year with us. It's part of the reason we've sucked.

No shit. They didn’t bring Ewers in to sit and he didn’t come here to sit. It’s just a classic ball coach move to give the guy with more experience reps with the one’s and make the new guy “earn it.” And I’m sure keeping Card engaged is part of it to a secondary degree.

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic