2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

No shit. They didn’t bring Ewers in to sit and he didn’t come here to sit. It’s just a classic ball coach move to give the guy with more experience reps with the one’s and make the new guy “earn it.” And I’m sure keeping Card engaged is part of it to a secondary degree.

Here's what I would do:  Hudson, you got one shot.  We're gonna announce you as the starter vs ULM, hopefully right after fall practice so that CTH can collect his money.  First play will be a screen pass to Bijan, you hit that, you get the next play.  

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Here's what I would do:  Hudson, you got one shot.  We're gonna announce you as the starter vs ULM, hopefully right after fall practice so that CTH can collect his money.  First play will be a screen pass to Bijan, you hit that, you get the next play.  

I'm partial to screen passes to Worthy for our opening play. 

• Hook 'Em 3

49 minutes ago, futureman said:

I’ve just had an idea to make a Rubik’s cube with braille on the surfaces to denote colors. hell, it probably already exists. but if a blind could solve that it’d be impressive. 

Solving the Rubik's cube is nothing more than a set of steps. A kid taught us in middle school how to do it. By the end of week two the whole class knew how to get it done and the competition was who could do it fastest. Then a kid came in with a new set of moves and blew us all away since the steps we learned were slower.

15 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Solving the Rubik's cube is nothing more than a set of steps. A kid taught us in middle school how to do it. By the end of week two the whole class knew how to get it done and the competition was who could do it fastest. Then a kid came in with a new set of moves and blew us all away since the steps we learned were slower.

yeah I’m aware of all that. we’re talking about a blind being able to do it. 

52 minutes ago, futureman said:

Our defensive game-planning is a blind guy fiddling with a Rubik's cube that isn't there.....and solving it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

I keep looking at our 2022 recruiting class and it gives me a little more hope at DE if we land Mathis. We may not be world beaters at DE but we will be much stronger than last year after Jacoby Jones went down and probably better than before he was lost. At linebacker and OT, we are pretty much fucked though. I seriously doubt that a fall enrollee is going to step in quickly at OT and it doesn't even look like we are considering transfers. And at linebacker we have no incoming help from recruiting and any opportunity to improve the position will have to come from transfers who will come in this summer.

A&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

6 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I have zero confidence this team will be anything but a shit-show. 

I don't think it should be a shit show, unless we roll out some more corpses to play O-line, our coach doesn't bribe the officials, fails to adjust, puts Patterson in the corner, or whatever that was on defense last year shows up again.  

I kind of want our mascot to hand a bag of those immamac oversized dollars in a whataburger bag to the officials during the game.

I don't think it should be a shit show, unless we roll out some more corpses to play O-line, our coach doesn't bribe the officials, fails to adjust, puts Patterson in the corner, or whatever that was on defense last year shows up again.  
I kind of want our mascot to hand a bag of those immamac oversized dollars in a whataburger bag to the officials during the game.

We could pay off the zebras just like aggy fantasizes we do, wouldnt make a diff. Other teams would be allowed to hold their asses off, anyone in burnt orange doesnt get a benefit of a doubt.
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, TexTexTex said:

You know our team is bad when rubik's cube techniques are being discussed in the spring football thread

These are the salad days. The Louisiana-Monroe postgame thread will likely involve multiple proclamations of suicide & arson, at least 2 threats on my life and some donkey-punching.

5 hours ago, lazygringo said:

I'm just going to put forward that Ewers is probably actually ahead of Card, the people in charge/attendance just can't see that. This happens every year with us. It's part of the reason we've sucked.

Quite the opposite IMHO. I think in the past, maybe even last year, personnel were given starting positions when they didn't deserve or earn them. It seems Sark is forcing the new guys to move up the depth chart as it should be. No matter how much everyone hates Card, if you want to eliminate the entitlement culture Texas is perceived to have over the last decade, you must make guys work their way up the depth chart and onto the field. It sends a message to the team, recruits and potential transfers that everything is earned through hard work. Fuck anyone who doesn't like it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Codaxx said:

When he has the opportunity to see ball, chase ball, he is actually pretty damn good. He handles misdirection like Stevie Wonders handles a Rubiks Cube. He lacks physicality at the point of attack. Solid in coverage. Right now he is an athlete playing LB. Ton of upside, if he can develop some instincts and pick up the nuances of the position. 

ball ty GIF Be, be the ball

27 minutes ago, TexTexTex said:

You know our team is bad when rubik's cube techniques are being discussed in the spring football thread

Never sell Surly short on  its ability to get annoyingly off topic. That skill has nothing to do with the quality of the team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'll be surprised if Ewers isn't starting from Day 1 and the entire season (barring injury). 

Don't think Sark wants a replay of last years QB situation. The Arkansas game seemed to fuck up his initial plans, and after Casey got hurt in the OU game it was a total clusterfuck. If Ewers plays like shit against Alabama there should be a much longer leash and not as much screaming about it from the fanbase/higher ups. 

Embrace the blank slate approach with a brand new elite QB and hope for the best. Might be some short term pains but long term it's the right move. 

• Hook 'Em 3

45 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Quite the opposite IMHO. I think in the past, maybe even last year, personnel were given starting positions when they didn't deserve or earn them. It seems Sark is forcing the new guys to move up the depth chart as it should be. No matter how much everyone hates Card, if you want to eliminate the entitlement culture Texas is perceived to have over the last decade, you must make guys work their way up the depth chart and onto the field. It sends a message to the team, recruits and potential transfers that everything is earned through hard work. Fuck anyone who doesn't like it.

I generally agree with the sentiment, but I want to eliminate the losing culture at Texas. Sark is a QB guy, he knows what he's doing with that particular position. Pick your guy and run with it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I generally agree with the sentiment, but I want to eliminate the losing culture at Texas. Sark is a QB guy, he knows what he's doing with that particular position. Pick your guy and run with it. 

You pick the guy who earns it. There, so far is a consensus that Card is outperforming Ewers. Having said that, I do believe, in the end, Ewers will pass Card and pull away. He has to earn it. Everyone has to see that he earned it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Longhornlove said:

You pick the guy who earns it. There, so far is a consensus that Card is outperforming Ewers. Having said that, I do believe, in the end, Ewers will pass Card and pull away. He has to earn it. Everyone has to see that he earned it.

Of course he has to earn it. He's way rustier than Card at the moment, the expectation is he'll catch up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It will also help to not have a helicopter dad feeding info to a 9.95er that paints his son as a saint who can do no wrong.

Regardless of the outcome, the process will be a lot smoother throughout the summer/August without articles coming out talking about why a QB overslept and was late to a team event. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, futureman said:

You mentioned braille (i.e. maybe even embedded shapes) for the sides so with a way to recognize sides I don't see how it would be any different.

Edited by DanTheHorn

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

IS9QMFhn_bigger.png    Donnie Allen

Come get your favorite item signed and meet  @Jatavionsanders
and @2brookss !!! Bring the family to @ValhallaELounge and play some video games with them!!

FPGrxNzXoAMtyMr?format=jpg&name=900x900

Inscriptions? Do you bring your own headstone, or will they have some for sale? 

6 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This guy is going to play some at EDGE

11006374.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Just wait until he gets into a college strength program they said.. it will be fun they said.. 

This dudes roster photo looks like he's in his 30's

image.png.811b8e22d8fdacad544acabe719ac120.png

Nahlin Practice Notes

Tuesday brought with it practice No. 4. Here are a few belated notes for you guys to chew on.

Wednesday was an off day. Off days consist of a morning lift then meetings and walk-through featuring corrections from the previous practice.

Joe had mentioned after the window he was able to watch Gary Patterson was quite vocal. A source says he provides great clarity and “you can tell there isn’t anything he hasn’t seen before. He knows how to make quick corrections in a way that’s easy to understand.”

QB’s and receivers had a strong practice. Both quarterbacks had a better completion percentage than previously. Less balls overall hitting the ground. Maybe they take a step backward tomorrow, but Tuesday was a step forward. 

Receivers were rotating fast and getting lots of reps. They’re also improving and getting more comfortable moving around and playing different positions. Sark seems to be using guys with versatility at all three spots.

“Linebackers are playing hard, hitting, catching picks. Overall football IQ seems to have improved. They look different than last year. Better communication.” I don’t feel super great about reporting that but it’s a legitimate quote. For now, I’ll proceed with caution but it seems like a positive step. 

In addition to playing Will LB, DeMarvion Overshown is working at Sam LB when the nickel comes off. That brings David Gbenda on to the field to play Will. IT believes Ovie Oghoufo is still the starting Sam LB but don’t quote us on that yet.

Jaylan Ford is doing well. Jaden Hullaby has been improving, certainly over last year. Devin Richardson wasn’t mentioned. Overall, sounds like the group is processing faster. IT was also told these guys are looking better in pass coverage.

A couple of solid O-line notes. Upon moving to offensive line Kyle Flood has thrown Sawyer Goram-Welch into the fire by starting him off at center. His head is swimming but he has a chance to become a player on the O-line. The comparisons we’ve made between Cole Hutson and Hayden Conner seem to have merit. Hutson will play as a true freshman if he continues his same trajectory and doesn’t get hurt. That’s not saying he’ll start, mind you, but there are good early returns on the big boy. He’s a guard.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Texas' defense playing 'an aggressive brand of football' early in spring

Joe Cook•about 2 hours

Will Gallagher/Inside Texas

Many of the failures that contributed to a lackluster result in Steve Sarkisian’s first year as head coach of the Texas Longhorns occurred on the defensive side of the ball. His defensive coordinator, Pete Kwiatkowski, couldn’t find the right formula on defense for the majority of the season, and Texas suffered during Big 12 play as a result.

[Get four months of Inside Texas Plus for just $1]

It’s hard to put blame for the Longhorns’ struggles on one specific area. When the unit is ranked No. 100 in total defense and No. 86 in ESPN’s defensive SP+, the responsibility is spread out among all three levels of the defense on the field and the coaches off of it.

In his second spring with Kwiatkowski, Sarkisian mentioned on Tuesday he saw positive developments for the defense that gave up 425.6 yards per game and over six yards per play.

“I think defensively, I think we’re playing a really aggressive brand of football right now,” Sarkisian mentioned. “I think we’re a lot tighter coverage wise.”

Some schools of defensive thought believe that sound run defense begins with the secondary. If cornerbacks can defend opposing receivers without the help of a safety, that means the safety can play what’s in front of him more honestly, whether it be another receiver or a handoff to a back. With players like D’Shawn Jamison, Ryan Watts, Jahdae Barron, and others, Sarkisian sees a way for them to help the rest of the defense with more aggressive defensive back play. 

“We want to be more sticky in coverage,” Sarkisian said. “Whether it’s a man call or a zone call or a combination of the two, we want to challenge more routes. We want to challenge more receivers, and I think we’ve got the players that can do it.”

‘Sticky’ doesn’t necessarily mean playing a bunch of man free. That’s rarely been Kwiatkowski’s style, nor has it been the style of defensive pass game coordinator Terry Joseph. What it does mean is allowing Texas’ corners to utilize their athletic gifts in order to help the rest of the defense.

If that ‘aggressive’ tactic becomes a staple and ‘sticky’ coverage is the result, it should help the front of a defense ranked No. 98 in sacks and No. 53 in tackles for loss. Sarkisian isn’t hung up on numbers, no matter how indicative they were of Texas’ 2021 shortcomings in getting after the quarterback, especially after Jacoby Jones was sidelined for most of the season. What he would prefer from his defensive line is disruption. Should that come, he knows the desired statistical result is more likely to occur.

“At the end of the day, we’re trying to affect the quarterback,” Sarkisian said. “I know that the sack numbers are what we want, but if we can move the quarterback off the spot, if we can get him to drop his eyes to where he’s not looking at the coverage, force late throws, force errant throws, those are all impactful plays for us. That’s really what we’re looking for at that position.”

As many coaches might say, the defensive front has to earn the right to rush the passer. Texas rarely did that in 2021. The Longhorns often struggled to set the edge, were limited in how often they penetrated the backfield, and just plain missed tackles at a startling rate.

In order to play with an aggressive streak on passing downs in 2022, the Longhorns have to show that intensity on standard downs or else they’ll find themselves in a similar situation to 2021. 

“The tighter we are in coverage, I think that’s going to help and benefit the pass rush,” Sarkisian said. “Then vice versa, the better the pass rush, the better that helps to cover so we’ve got to get those two things really working well together.”

It’s a deal that both parts of Kwiatkowski’s defense, front and secondary, will need to improve upon in 2022. A more aggressive approach could be the key to that improvement. The signs are there, at least in Sarkisian’s eyes, in the early stages of spring practices.

I don’t care what anyone fucking says about Card in regards to practice.

Yeah, I mean true freshman facing a team that circled the game on the calendar and an offensive line that couldn’t block middle school kids is really a great testament.

Your take is stupid and you should feel stupid for posting it.
  • Hook 'Em 2

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic