2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

5 minutes ago, DiceHands said:

Yeah I really dont give a fuck what Card does in practice.  The only reason Card should start would be to shield Ewers from Bama and then let him take over after that.  Otherwise, roll with Ewers.  Going with card = the fanbase will be divided and every little mistake Card makes will be scrutinized endlessly.  I can already hear the "WE WANT EWERS" chants.

I would hope the coaches don't give a shit what the fan base thinks when they make decisions. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, DiceHands said:

Also it sounds like GP is basically our DC.  PK is hardly ever mentioned in these writeups.

Only took 4 practices for this post.

GP received 1 mention about working with the safeties, namely because people asked what he was doing during practice, and all of sudden he is now the DC? 

• Hook 'Em 4

11 hours ago, Jersey Man10 said:

Ok, what about the Kansas game?

So? He was bad in 2 games.  Fine in 2 others.   This team dies in the trenches not at the QB play.   Bijan had his yards doubled up by his counterpart at Kansas and that dude had 3 TDs to our combined running backs scoring 0 on that day.   Our defense gave up 57 total points.   Refs were also active that game all the way to the end. 

9 minutes ago, DiceHands said:

Also it sounds like GP is basically our DC.  PK is hardly ever mentioned in these writeups.  I imagine if our defense shits all over themselves again, he is gone and GP takes over 100%.  Honestly, im here for it.

GP is our version of Jimmy Lake

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Only took 4 practices for this post.

GP received 1 mention about working with the safeties, namely because people asked what he was doing during practice, and all of sudden he is now the DC? 

It's obvious that Gary is here as a Gergish backup plan. I think there may be a disconnect between Sark and CDC concerning Kwitkowski, and Patterson is CDC's way of showing Sark what the result's gonna be if the D shits all over itself again. I also think the]at Gary is a total fallback if Sark goes off the reservation completely.

3 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

It's obvious that Gary is here as a Gergish backup plan. I think there may be a disconnect between Sark and CDC concerning Kwitkowski, and Patterson is CDC's way of showing Sark what the result's gonna be if the D shits all over itself again. I also think the]at Gary is a total fallback if Sark goes off the reservation completely.

100% 

I posted this months ago , but if you look back it seems like HC choice rotates between boosters and AD 

Sark was the booster choice, CDCs choice has already been made and hired. 

Edited by BigHornedLurker
  • Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Hmm, I don't remember Dickson being so scared to punt a ball he literally shit his pants in a game. 

I remember him booming the shit out of kicks from the go just sometimes they weren't controlled. 

He shanked quite a few and had some that went about 10 yards.   VY looked pretty mortal in that Tech game where Mock had to come in and rally the team for a win. 

Overall,  I am hopeful Malik or Quinn grabs the spot.  But I really only give a shit if they can do the job, not which fucking middle school coach they had or some dumbshit like that.   If Card earns it more power to him.    But the biggest question for Texas Football is not which dude occupies the QB position but whether the offensive line can perform basic offensive like tasks, or if the defense can stop the mighty Kansas Jayhawk offense.   

2 minutes ago, BigHornedLurker said:

100% 

I posted this months ago , but if you look back it seems like HC choice rotates between boosters and AD 

Sark was the booster choice, CDCs choice has already been made and hired. 

This is 100% wrong. Eltife drove the bus on Sark and CDC was told to sit in the back after getting Urban fell apart. 

• Rage+1 2

Aside from practices and coaching: I want to point out to the flaming crybabies around these parts that we have played Bama ten times and we have lost to them exactly ONE FUCKING TIME. ONCE. And we all know that one loss and how it played out. The iffense shit the bed with Squints at the helm, and that is Mack's fault, absolutely, for not preparing anything remotely resembling a backup for McCoy.

That makes me believe a win over the Fightin' Sabans is not impossible. I don't think it's likely, but it's goddamned sure possible. 

EDIT: On the other hand, until MensaTom took over, we not only had never in our history lost to Maryland, they'd never even scored on us, so make of that what you will.

Edited by Tex Long
  • Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Aside from practices and coaching: I want to point out to the flaming crybabies around these parts that we have played Bama ten times and we have lost to them exactly ONE FUCKING TIME. ONCE. And we all know that one loss and how it played out. The iffense shit the bed with Squints at the helm, and that is Mack's fault, absolutely, for not preparing anything remotely resembling a backup for McCoy.

That makes me believe a win over the Fightin' Sabans is not impossible. I don't think it's likely, but it's goddamned sure possible. 

EDIT: On the other hand, until MensaTom took over, we not only had never in our history lost to Maryland, they'd never even scored on us, so make of that what you will.

tenor-5820285.gif.ef731dd411994bcd132db74d4a372c95.gif

Trying to find out how 10 previous meetings with Bama have anything to do with the results this one

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BigHornedLurker said:

I also think the]at Gary is a total fallback if Sark goes off the reservation completely.

I'd take that change immediately without a second's hesitation. And its not because I think GP is a slam dunk, great HC...I just think very little of Sark as a HC. My guess is this years Texas team with GP as head coach and Sark as OC would outperform the squad with Sark as HC and Gary as whatever the fuck he is now. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

That play was so great. As was Bijan's long run.

I don't think I've processed that loss yet. We were up 28-7 in the 1st quarter and lost. 

Better yet, we were up 41-23 with 2 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. 

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

I grew up in S. Florida you fucking moron.  I don't know or give a shit about high school football in that state or ours.  Take your moronic high school rivalry based on whatever stupid metric you think exists and shove it up your moronic ass.  

Or

I guess we should have shitcanned Michael Dickson as well because he kind of sucked in his first year here.   

I find it very impressive that you still don’t realize last year wasn’t Card’s first year at Texas. 

y'all may not remember but perhaps the best QB to ever grace the 40 acres (20 straight starts....all wins and absolute nails on every big play....James Street) did not even get to start until his junior year. IDK if he was good or bad before that time, as I never saw him take a snap before then.

I am beginning to think we as a group are beginning to take this spring training crap more seriously than aggy.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

You people need to pour a drink and relax. Of fucking course Card looks better right now. He is talented kid that has an extra year in the system. Not to mention he isnt facing live bullets right now.  Ewers has 2 months. Feel free to bitch and moan if this is being reported in mid August. 

Everyone knows Card is workout warrior and practice all American but we also know that doesn’t translate to real games.  Watching him practice or trying to compare him to anyone else from practice reports is a waste of time.  

Quick notes from practice this morning. Back to back practices Gbenda has been mentioned is interesting. 

Not a whole lot yet but enough to whet your appetite. We’ll have more later this afternoon, evening, or in the Humidor tomorrow a.m.

Covering practice is a serial in which one builds off the next. We want to identify common themes because those tend to carry-over into August. Common August themes tend to carry-over into the season, unless of course we were misdirected by zero-sum.

One bystander said Bijan Robinson was by far the best player on the field. That will come as no surprise. Put him in bubble wrap, Sark.

The same bystander said Alfred Collins is the most talented DL, but cautioned that doesn’t mean he’s the best. He said T’Vondre Sweat had a good day of getting a push on the O-line and overall was solid against the run.

One early common theme emerging is it seems the D-line is better against the run than getting pressure on the quarterback.

It seems we’ve been hearing about more man coverage than in the past. This sounds designed to bring an extra defender whether against the run or pass. In other words, the staff recognizes pass rush hasn’t been adequately addressed yet. That will help if they land Ochaun Mathis and also upon the arrival of the young bucks, but it‘s nowhere close where they need it yet.

After receiving a mention based on Tuesday’s practice, David Gbenda was singled out for having good instincts finding the ball and also getting to spots in coverage. We haven’t heard a ton about him being instinctive so it seems he’s processing/developing and perhaps the game has slowed down for him. Jeff Choate was pretty high on Gbenda’s raw materials last year but it didn’t materialize on the field — the ability is there, though.

Tons of rotation all over the place, and not just rotation up and down the depth chart but guys bouncing from one position to another. Receivers playing all three spots, defensive backs playing multiple positions, etc.

We didn’t hear much about quarterback play yet, other than Hudson Card and Ben Ballard were seen throwing with receivers after practice. Don’t make too much of just two guys being mentioned, the others could have had class.

When pressed for how the team viewed Hudson Card, one source said players respect him, “but not like that.” Meaning, not like a clear team leader (“not like Roschon Johnson”), at least not yet. That’s worth monitoring throughout the rest of spring because from our vantage he seems to be gaining in his own confidence and also the confidence of others. Of course, the only way to truly win over your teammates is on the field and whoever the quarterback is come September will still be unknown in that regard.

Edited by Hookem2147

15 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Everyone knows Card is workout warrior and practice all American but we also know that doesn’t translate to real games.  Watching him practice or trying to compare him to anyone else from practice reports is a waste of time.  

Isnt that the point? If everyone knows it, then why bitch about the fact that Card looks better right now. It should be expected and bitching about it is a waste of time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hermanator said:

His 75 percent completion percentage against no defense is daunting to say the least. 

I’d say the fact that our WRs aren’t dropping more than 1/4 of the passes is definitely a promising sign. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Isnt that the point? If everyone knows it, then why bitch about the fact that Card looks better right now. It should be expected and bitching about it is a waste of time. 

I agree.  It’s interesting but to get worked up about a practice report is stupid.  

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Ewers hasn't taken a snap that meant anything since his junior year of HS. Sark better be prepared on what to do when he sucks because it's almost a given he's going to suck at times this season and lose games. 

If Card can win anything big at all it would be the biggest turnaround in mental toughness I've ever seen or heard of happening. I can't remember the last time I saw a QB turtle like that. I don't know how you develop enough mental toughness to within a year or two go from that to being a warrior. 

4 hours ago, Fud said:

They get the bulk of their practice info from non-coaches 

Case in point: had a buddy that was a source for a couple years. He had a friend that worked for the film crew and would pass on what his friend told him about practice in exchange for a free sub to the site. Learning about that definitely changed how I processed info from camp reports lol

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Better yet, we were up 41-23 with 2 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. 

I find it very impressive that you still don’t realize last year wasn’t Card’s first year at Texas. 

Yeah he was here for Tom Herman in 2020 with a whopping 1 completion.   I just keep ignoring and understating the massive value of that experience.    

Just now, Nivek said:

Yeah he was here for Tom Herman in 2020 with a whopping 1 completion.   I just keep ignoring and understating the massive value of that experience.    

Yeesh. It was a better look for you to be ignorant about Card’s classification than to actually believe there’s no difference between a redshirt freshman and a true freshman starting at QB. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeesh. It was a better look for you to be ignorant about Card’s classification than to actually believe there’s no difference between a redshirt freshman and a true freshman starting at QB. 

I may be wrong here, but it seems to me not all redshirt programs are equal. 

4 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

y'all may not remember but perhaps the best QB to ever grace the 40 acres (20 straight starts....all wins and absolute nails on every big play....James Street) did not even get to start until his junior year. IDK if he was good or bad before that time, as I never saw him take a snap before then.

I am beginning to think we as a group are beginning to take this spring training crap more seriously than aggy.

I mean no disrespect to James Street, but he is nowhere near the best Texas QB 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Case in point: had a buddy that was a source for a couple years. He had a friend that worked for the film crew and would pass on what his friend told him about practice in exchange for a free sub to the site. Learning about that definitely changed how I processed info from camp reports lol

I'm surprised that their sources are even that good. If the last ten years of these jackholes blowing smoke up our ass every spring only to have the team shit down its own leg in the fall doesn't tell you everything you need to know about practice reports, then nothing will. 

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

I mean no disrespect to James Street, but he is nowhere near the best Texas QB 

I get where you are coming from, but even still he is the only Texas QB to date that never lost a game in like 20 or so starts. Would I take him over VY or Colt or Bobby Layne?

Maybe not, but none of those guys could have done any better than he did.

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Impossible to compare Street with modern QBs. In 1969 he threw 3 TDs and 10 INTs. 

You don’t have to though. Compare him against the other qbs in 1969 when he wasn’t an All American section (was all SWC).

Not trying to bash Street at all, he’s a legend. But even relative to his era, he isn’t the best qb we’ve ever had.

36 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

You don’t have to though. Compare him against the other qbs in 1969 when he wasn’t an All American section (was all SWC).

Not trying to bash Street at all, he’s a legend. But even relative to his era, he isn’t the best qb we’ve ever had.

A counter point to this is that Dan Jenkins has said that he should have won the Heisman in '69.

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic