2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If I'm being totally honest, I just wanted to fuck with this thread in response to Hulk's post. I won't be surprised by a 10-2 season in which Texas plays for the conference title any more than I will be another 5-7 season in which Sarkisian is dropped off just outside the city limits with nothing more than his hobo bag to keep him company while he ambles forward elsewhere.

I think the guy is utterly incompetent and overrated, but I'm wrong a lot and would love to be shown new ways in which I accomplish being publicly stupid as Seven Loss Steve finds his footing.

That's my guy!  That's what I'm looking for.  Same obviously.  There is a lot that could go right.  For things to be good for us a lot will have to go right and don't love betting on that happening.

I think, though, that people get some shit twisted about college football and make it harder than it has to be.  A really good QB papers over a shit ton of things done wrong and processes gone wrong.  You can win like Bama and LSU without a really good one, but it's a shit load harder.  If Quinn is good I would guess we are good at the end of the day.  

10 minutes ago, PatSolitanojr said:

Is it asking too much to want our starting QB to have played QB in high school?

? Card played WR his first year at Lake Travis because he had Matthew Baldwin in front of him. He came in for Baldwin in the 2017 state championship and then started at QB in 2018 and 2019. Threw almost 700 passes as a high school QB.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The "bite as a pup" deal comes into play. We started an injured Casey Thompson most of the year as opposed to Card. 
I'm trying to think of a Texas QB who looked like shit as a freshman but got it turned around. Can't. 

Sam Ehlinger was terrible as a freshman. It’s a moot point because this is Ewers’s job to lose, but since you mentioned it.

More practice notes from IT:

It’s not real football but it’s the best we have until August, which will be the best we have until September. Truth be told, it’s not even real practice yet because they’re not in pads. They’ll wear shoulder pads for the first time on Saturday.

Still, practice is where the first hints of bigger storylines are created. Here’s what we have from day-1. Drink responsibly.

There’s always excitement and good energy on the first day of practice and this morning was no different: “Guys were more assignment sound on both sides of the ball. Defense was getting to the ball quick. At the same time, they were more relaxed — more confident in what they were doing.”

Asked about the quarterbacks of course: “Hudson (Card) looked more comfortable, more confident. He was throwing it all over — not just locking in on one or two guys. He was taking more chances, showing more trust in his receivers. He did throw a pick to D’Shawn Jamison but overall had a good first day.”

On Quinn Ewers: “He definitely threw some good balls. He was surprisingly comfortable with the receivers. It looked like the passing sessions the quarterbacks have had with the receivers have paid off. Seems like he’s been in the program longer.”

On transfer cornerback Ryan Watts: [inaudible sounds indicating he’s a stud] “As advertised. He’s strong at the line when pressing. He was locking everyone up — Washington, Worthy, Dixon. Need to see him more in off coverage but he’s a big addition.”

On transfer wide receiver Isaiah Neyor: “He runs surprisingly good routes. He runs the whole route tree, too. I know at Wyoming it was a lot of vertical routes but he’s more versatile than that.”

Did anyone stand out at linebacker? “Nothing really stood out but Jaden Hullaby had an interception.“ (unsure of the QB on that one)

Tight end Ja’Tavion Sanders apparently looked pretty good. ”He’s been doing well and is going to have a big spring. Curious to see him when the pads come on. That’s when we’ll see how much he’s improved.”

Spring practice is a story arc. Things we hear today could go in any direction tomorrow. It won’t be for a couple of weeks before we have a good idea of what’s what after trends are established.

We may add to this if we hear anything else. Bobby will likely have a little more in the morning.

The next practice will be Thursday a.m.

Ketch’s P1 report.  Quinn looked better

Spoiler

KetchumResident Blockhead 

Orangebloods 

Had these passed along to me by Anwar, who is still covering things on campus.

Alex should have some notes soon.

--- We were allowed to watch quarterbacks handoff and throw short routes to receivers. In that time span, Quinn Ewers and Hudson Card were splitting first-team reps. We were removed from practice before the team drills. However, Card and Quinn were taking an equal amount of reps.

--- Ewers’ reputation for having a strong and accurate arm is warranted. The ball pops when Ewers releases it. As both quarterbacks threw passes next to each other, Ewers’ balls always arrived quicker than Card’s. In addition, every pass by Ewers seemed effortless.

--- Maalik Murphy wore a cast on his right line and did push-ups during a portion of practice with players who were not participating or limited. Linebacker Luke Brockermeyer participated in limited workouts, too.

--- Defensive linemen Byron Murphy II and Vernon Broughton caused fumbles during individual drills. Both players ripped the ball from the hands of other defensive linemen.

--- Isaac Person was the No.1 punter. In addition, Xavier Worthy and D’Shawn Jamison were the primary punt returners during the portion of practice we were allowed to watch.

--- Tight end Jahleel Billingsly and receiver Isaiah Neyor were among the newcomers on special teams.

--- Longhorn running back Bijan Robinson has not missed a beat since last season. Robinson displayed the same explosiveness and change of direction Longhorn fans are accustomed to. In addition, every running back was impressive during individual drills.

--- Xavier Worthy, Jordan Whittington, Isaiah Neyor stood out during drills. Marcus Washington and Dajon Harrison had drops during individual drills but rebounded.

--- Terrance Brooks excelled during pass breakups. Whenever a pass was about to hit a receiver’s hands, Brooks read it perfectly and broke up at least four consecutive passes. — 

7 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

--- Terrance Brooks excelled during pass breakups. Whenever a pass was about to hit a receiver’s hands, Brooks read it perfectly and broke up at least four consecutive passes. — 

Oh my God

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

On transfer cornerback Ryan Watts: [inaudible sounds indicating he’s a stud] “As advertised. He’s strong at the line when pressing. He was locking everyone up — Washington, Worthy, Dixon. Need to see him more in off coverage but he’s a big addition.”

Ah yes, the ol' 10-yard cushion on 3rd-and-2. Let's keep practicing that...

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean, why wouldn't you have a sex tent?  It works in any situation.  But, long story short after my 10 year old walked in on my wife and I in the middle of sex in our RV on July 4th in Gettysburg PA the wife went into the walmart we were boondocking at for the night, bought a tent, and erected that at every camp site we were at for the rest of the year for the express purpose of having sex in the tent instead of the RV.  People seemed to enjoy the story. 

Probably it depends on the person: Bring your 10yr. old onto surly and let him/her tell us the story.

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean, why wouldn't you have a sex tent?  It works in any situation.  But, long story short after my 10 year old walked in on my wife and I in the middle of sex in our RV on July 4th in Gettysburg PA the wife went into the walmart we were boondocking at for the night, bought a tent, and erected that at every camp site we were at for the rest of the year for the express purpose of having sex in the tent instead of the RV.  People seemed to enjoy the story. 

So, the rest of the year y'all went to three campsites? 

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Okaaaaayyy - They're losing to Bama at home on 9/10. Brent Venables will probably dickstomp us in the Cotton Bowl on 10/8. Matt Campbell will outcoach Seven Loss Steve in Austin on 10/15 and then Mike Gundy will post a "kick me" sticker on Sarkisian's back in Stillwater the following week while that whole town points and laughs at the UT program on 10/22. Dave Aranda will let Baylor rape us at home on 11/26 to close out a typical Seven Win Steve kind of season, hurtling us towards a Poulan Weedeater Bowl invite with a 7-5 record. 

Why did you make me do that? Grim.

Well this is the shortest cool aid season I’ve ever experienced.  I’m not saying you’re wrong but couldn’t you have waited to post this until after we squeak out a close win over ULM?

Edited by stork642

23 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Well this is the shortest cool aid season I’ve ever experienced.  I’m not saying you’re wrong but couldn’t you have waited to post this until after we squeak out a close win over ULM?

Listen, Texas is going to blow ULM out by 8 touchdowns, 77-21. At some point during the game, people are going to have to start averting their eyes so as to not witness all of the carnage. 

The coaching staff at ULM tells you everything you need to know about their prospects on the year.

-Terry Bowden is their head coach. Dude is now 66 years old.

-He has two corpses that he and his players will position in booth and call "coordinators", Weekend At Bernie's-style shit.

-One is some dude named Kubik, the OC. I don't think he has a wikipedia page, but he does have a shit ton of dead, but not deleted, About Us coaching staff pages for places like SFA, Southern Miss, and, wait for it, ULM, where he spent 4 years previously before the now glorious return that awaits for him the 2022 season.

-The other guy, the DC, is Vic Koenning. That poor bastard hasn't coached in the sport in more than 2 seasons. He was run out of Morgantown, or, as resident ShakaSmart fart-huffer @MotownHorn calls it, "Motown", for allegations around player abuse. He was later exonerated of said allegations by an independent board, but too late, they'd already canceled the man. What should have gotten him canceled was going 5-29 at Wyoming and then meandering ineffectively around the college football landscape for the next 20 years.

But I am sure all of the 2 star Warhawk talent will persevere in spite of mediocre coaching and put up at least 21 points against Pete Kwiatkowski's feckless efforts to post a defense at Texas.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Personally, I'd put your kid out in the tent and fuck your wife in the RV with the door locked. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Okaaaaayyy - They're losing to Bama at home on 9/10. Brent Venables will probably dickstomp us in the Cotton Bowl on 10/8. Matt Campbell will outcoach Seven Loss Steve in Austin on 10/15 and then Mike Gundy will post a "kick me" sticker on Sarkisian's back in Stillwater the following week while that whole town points and laughs at the UT program on 10/22. Dave Aranda will let Baylor rape us at home on 11/26 to close out a typical Seven Win Steve kind of season, hurtling us towards a Poulan Weedeater Bowl invite with a 7-5 record. 

Boner Jams 2022 is on hold until further notice 

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Username checks out. You don't have upper deck seats, do you?

6 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

Bring on the everyone is quicker and added 27lbs of muscle articles.

Bijan had the experimental Wolverine procedure done to turn his skeleton into solid adamantium. He now weighs 360 pounds and can literally run through a brick wall. 

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

Bijan had the experimental Wolverine procedure done to turn his skeleton into solid adamantium. He now weighs 360 pounds and can literally run through a brick wall. 

Let’s hope Saban doesn’t bring any magnets

At least in the Mack Brown era, when we were 9-3 or 10-2 most years, you could huff the spring practice report glue and convince yourself that maybe, just maybe, this was our year.  But 90% of this board knew how the Sark regime would go the second he was hired. So every day from now until he is inevitably let go in a few years just feels like we are biding time.  There's just not much to root for.  Maybe OU will slide back and be as mediocre as us.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1

When are we going to hear about the impact of Gary Patterson?  When they announced the hire I thought there was a 60% chance that he was going to come in and his ego and general assholeness was going to undermine Sark and cause disruptions and eventually the whole thing would implode, and a 40% chance that his competitiveness was going to drive him to positively influence the program in multiple areas, so he could triumphantly rub our (his) success in everyone's face.  What I gave 0% chance to was him coming in and working 9-5 and just doing a little recruiting and self scouting and not being heard from at all.  Surely there has to be more going on behind the scenes?

Spoiler

AUSTIN, Texas — As Texas opened spring practice Tuesday morning, the man everyone wants to see — Ohio State transfer quarterback Quinn Ewers — finally went through his first full practice as a Longhorn.

The former No. 1 overall recruit, who famously reclassified and enrolled at Ohio State in August before transferring back to his home state to join the burnt orange and white in December, will be the center of fans’ attention for much of this offseason. Texas has a lot to correct after a disastrous 5-7 season in 2021, but nothing gets a fan base excited and hopeful like a five-star quarterback.

Call it “Mullet Mania,” call Ewers the program savior who will take the first snap on Sept. 3 when the Longhorns host Louisiana-Monroe. Just don’t expect Texas coach Steve Sarkisian to join you.

“You guys write that. We don’t say that,” Sarkisian said Tuesday. “We say, ‘Focus on what you need to focus on, continue to work on the things that you need to work on.’

“We’re a highly competitive program. And the best guy that gives our team the best chance to be successful will play.”

Those words may draw a collective eye roll from fans and media alike, but that will remain the company line throughout the offseason. There are, at least at the moment, two quarterbacks vying for the starting job on the Forty Acres: Ewers and third-year sophomore Hudson Card.

Don’t be surprised one bit if Sarkisian handles this situation similarly to last year’s quarterback competition between Card and Casey Thompson. Those two competed throughout summer, spring and August training camp, splitting first-team practice reps with Sarkisian never tipping his hand before ultimately giving Card, a former four-star recruit from nearby Lake Travis High, the starting nod. He added a caveat upon that announcement: that both would play in the opener.

He stayed true to that plan, and Thompson played late in each of the first two games before supplanting Card as the starter in Week 3. Thompson started the last 10 games before transferring to Nebraska after the season.

The approach isn’t much different from most other coaches. They hold their cards close to the vest in quarterback competitions, lest something they say or do prompts one of their quarterbacks to hit the transfer portal, gutting the depth. The Longhorns have more scholarship players at the position now than they did last season, with true freshman Maalik Murphy and redshirt freshman Charles Wright on the roster, but it wouldn’t take much to put the team back in the precarious position it was in 2021 depth-wise.

Ewers enters his Texas tenure with plenty of attention and high expectations for a reason. He was talented enough to be ranked No. 1 in his class and be one of only six recruits to ever earn a 1.000 rating in the 247Sports Composite. He played at a traditional Texas high school football power, Southlake Carroll. Then he made the hasty move late last summer to trade in his senior season at Carroll to reclassify, enroll at Ohio State and cash in on seven-figures worth of name, image and likeness deals as a college athlete (Texas law currently prohibits high schoolers from monetizing their NIL). When he hit the portal in December after garnering just two snaps all season, he was atop Texas’ wish list.

His winding path sparked discussion and drew attention, but it hasn’t manifested itself in Ewers’ practice performance thus far.

“He’s a pretty cool customer,” Sarkisian said. “I don’t think he’s a very anxious guy. He’s not a too-cool-for-school kind of guy. … I don’t feel like this is a guy pressing to try to become ‘the man’ here.

“He loves football. I think he loves being on a team and being on this team and being around guys that he’s comfortable with.”

Sarkisian said Ewers has immersed himself into the team and is learning the offensive scheme. He’s not “so caught up in, ‘Am I the starter, am I not?’” Sarkisian said, but rather focused on learning and improving, whether practicing with the first team or second team.

“He’s just putting in work,” Sarkisian said. “I think he’s enjoying playing football, which is something that he didn’t really get to play so much a year ago. The guy missed his whole senior year. So I think he’s just enjoying being back out there and learning.

“He’s coachable and he’s eager to want to take the advice and then he tries to apply it the next time it comes up.”

Thus far, Sarkisian seems pleased. He said he’s seen “a lot worse” first practices by new quarterbacks learning a brand new offense. He called Ewers “driven.” And the key term that the coach repeated both Tuesday and earlier this offseason is “comfortable.” Ewers, who originally committed to Texas in the Tom Herman era before decommitting and signing with Ohio State, seems comfortable around the familiar faces on the roster.

“That’s one thing that he’s really shared with me being back, is that he feels very comfortable with the guys on our team, having played against them, played with a couple of these guys,” Sarkisian said. “It just feels comfortable to him and it feels comfortable to me when I watch him.”

There are 165 days left until Texas kicks off the 2022 season and much more to sort out before then: improving an offensive line that was woeful last year, upgrading a defense that proved leaky against the run and developing more playmakers to help Bijan Robinson and Xavier Worthy. Quarterback is far from the only issue that needs rectifying.

But Ewers will garner the most offseason attention, regardless of how diplomatically Sarkisian handles it publicly. Is he worried that the public assumption that Ewers is QB1 could become an issue?

“No, I’m not at all, because that’s what you guys say,” Sarkisian said. “That’s not what we say.”

The Athletic - Mullet Mania? Texas opens spring practice with all eyes on Quinn Ewers and the QB derby

33 minutes ago, Yesh said:

When are we going to hear about the impact of Gary Patterson?  When they announced the hire I thought there was a 60% chance that he was going to come in and his ego and general assholeness was going to undermine Sark and cause disruptions and eventually the whole thing would implode, and a 40% chance that his competitiveness was going to drive him to positively influence the program in multiple areas, so he could triumphantly rub our (his) success in everyone's face.  What I gave 0% chance to was him coming in and working 9-5 and just doing a little recruiting and self scouting and not being heard from at all.  Surely there has to be more going on behind the scenes?

1 minute ago, Foosters said:

We've had one practice.

Seriously.

There's plenty of time for him to wreck and undermine everything.

39 minutes ago, Yesh said:

Username edit:  "Yeeesh"

41 minutes ago, Yesh said:

Never change

• immamac changed the title to 2022 Spring Practice: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Shitwater)
  • BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic