2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

10 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You are wrong. And you should feel bad about it. 

I mean, you probably aren’t wrong but I will say again, really good skill players with a really good offensive mind (and decent special teams) will win a lot of games in college football. A lot. We know we are as good as can be at RB. We strongly suspect our WR room will be pretty good (at least top 3 guys and Sark relies on the best of a room and eschews depth). We have a generational recruit at QB. We have a guy, that you can say all sorts of bad things about and be correct, but you can’t say he doesn’t know how to scheme and play call offense.  We play what looks like a pretty shitty schedule outside of Bama. 
All the stuff you said can be true but if all the stuff I said is right we could go 10-2.

Don't do this to yourself.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Hope is your strategy. Let’s see how it works out. 

Oh, if I thought there was any prayer of it, I’d love for him to be fired. But he’s going to be here for 4 years, so it’s pointless. I’ll hope to be wrong and cheer for the team and mock the pollyannas in the run up to the next search that Texas fucks up for its HFC. 

I'm obviously more optimistic than you (hell- Kevorkian probably is) about Seven Win Steve leveling up and becoming 10 win Steve next year- but if you are right about everything this may be the most negative thing you've posted. If he shits the bed again he needs to be gone after next year. We need to be decisive when it becomes clear a guy doesn't have it.  4 years in a tailspin would be bad. Really bad.  Do not want. 

12 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Didn’t CTJ say that Bama was going to chortle my balls one year, then they went on to win the title? I’ll take his hot takes with a grain of salt. We’re going 9-3 next year. Anything short of that is very disappointing given the schedule.

we’re only going 9-3 if ewers and card go down. wright takes us to 9-3. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Didn’t CTJ say that Bama was going to chortle my balls one year, then they went on to win the title? I’ll take his hot takes with a grain of salt. We’re going 9-3 next year. Anything short of that is very disappointing given the schedule.

*gargle

Chortle?  How would that even work?

27 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Are you, of all people on this website, actually posting criticizing the prognostication of other people? Aren't you batting about .003 after about a thousand at bats at your prediction skills? I'm not as deeply pessimistic as CTJ on this shit, but you proclaiming 9-3 means we're either going 5-7 again or undefeated. And I know which one I think is more likely. 

FUCK.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2

51 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Get your hands out of your pants

La Cucaracha on the QB battle:

Spoiler
Is Quinn Ewers the man for the job in 2022? | Cover 3 College Football
Earlier this week I spoke with a few sources outside of the Texas program about a wide array of subjects, but one thing that kept coming up was the Texas quarterback battle in camp. The two sources I spoke with are both power five assistants and one has experience coaching quarterbacks at the college level. Both have recruited Texas for quite a while and had relationships with both Hudson Card and Quinn Ewers when they were recruits.
When it comes to the overall battle, both were in agreement that naming a starter out of spring camp was a no-win situation for Steve Sarkisian. The common consensus was that naming one, especially if it is Ewers, could expose the quarterback position to thin depth if there was a transfer. Besides that, both sources didn't feel it was likely one would separate much from the other because of the talent level.
When it came to Hudson Card, both sources were befuddled with his struggles last year. It was noted that Card was a highly-regarded recruit in both the media and coaching circles. One source mentioned that he felt the situation between Card and Casey Thompson could have been handled better last year from an outside view. Quite honestly, this source felt the plug was pulled too early on Card and hurt his overall confidence level. The source noted that because of Card's quiet demeanor, you have to coach confidence when making pre-snap reads and commanding the field.
I brought up the subject of Card's pocket presence and a tendency to hold onto the ball too long. It was a deficiency I saw in Card's game at the high school level and it reared its head too many times last year. One of the assistants I spoke to noted that the offense he was recruited to was much simpler in terms of making decisions easy for the quarterbacks. Herman's system consisted of a tight group of plays run out of multiple formations. Though there weren't a ton of variations, the keys on any given play were somewhat simple once you learned them. While both assistants noted that Sarkisian is an upgrade in offensive design and play-calling, they also acknowledged that the system is much more detailed.
One assistant brought up the fact that Sark's offense at Alabama was often led by veteran quarterbacks who had time to learn the intricacies of the offense in order to operate it at an efficient level. Simply put, Card played like a first-year guy in a brand new system. It's tough for outside sources to assess a quarterback race without being on the field every day, but from a 30,000-foot view, the assumption is that Card will look better in his second year repping the system.
The same was said about his overall pocket presence. I asked both sources if that's something that can't be taught or if it can be fixed by repetition. Both agreed that more time and experience would help sharpen the internal clock in a quarterback's head.
"It all depends on how much they have to think about when the ball is snapped," one of the sources said. "Younger players process at a much slower speed. When they get to thinking, they become indecisive and can get bogged down in the pocket."
This source noted that Sam Ehlinger suffered from the same issues his freshman season but eventually the game slowed down for him. It was also mentioned how many times Ehlinger made freshman mistakes costing them games in his first year. All-in-all, the message from these coaches is to not count Hudson Card out of anything.
On the Ewers front, both acknowledged that the former five-star was one of the most talented high school passers they ever recruited. While they thought that Ewers was probably too talented to keep off the field at some point, they also cautioned putting too many expectations on him too quickly. Like Card last year, Ewers is coming off of a redshirt season where he didn't get very many reps.
One of the sources also questioned Ewers' overall fit in Sarkisian's offense.
"Quinn is a gunslinger," the source said. "At Southlake, they put the ball in his hands and trusted him to make plays. You've got to be willing to live with his mistakes because he's going to take some chances."
This same source noted that while the previous staff seemed to design the offense around the strengths of Sam Ehlinger, Sarkisian appears to be more rigid in having his quarterbacks fit the system rather than the other way around.
"It all depends on how much freedom they are going to give Ewers," the same source said. "He's not built to get under center and run power. You have to let him use his creativity and sometimes that will get you into trouble. He's a freshman that hasn't played a game in two years. He's going to make some mistakes."
Following the Texas quarterback battle will be one of the biggest stories of the spring, and if these conversations are any indicator, the eyes of the nation are on Austin to see what the outcome will be.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I'm obviously more optimistic than you (hell- Kevorkian probably is) about Seven Win Steve leveling up and becoming 10 win Steve next year- but if you are right about everything this may be the most negative thing you've posted. If he shits the bed again he needs to be gone after next year. We need to be decisive when it becomes clear a guy doesn't have it.  4 years in a tailspin would be bad. Really bad.  Do not want. 

I'd like to know why Dr Kevorkian has an opinion of Steve Sarkisian. 

12 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Leaving out that small part about adding Gary Patterson?

Firing people for the sake of saying you fired someone to calm the masses is dumb and it’s a cycle we’ve gone through before with assistants with no success. Hiring some random new safeties or corners or linebackers coach was not going to fix what was wrong with this defense. Look, they didn’t help themselves with some decisions they made but they were dealt a shit hand and it got worse when the only guy who could set the edge got hurt in game 6 of the season. The head coach said they are making schematic changes on that side of the ball this offseason with how they deploy the Dline and secondary. Whether that works or not remains to be seen but good lord they haven’t just been sitting on their asses content with what happened on that side of the ball.

Well if the internet dorks are unhappy and demand their pound of flesh they obviously aren’t paying attention. 

11 hours ago, Had Enough said:

And if you play off and have two deep safeties, then what are you taking away? Presumably the safeties take away the deep ball. And often that was a deterrent. So the corners are concerned about intermediate routes and give up the short stuff to convert the 1st.

It just didn’t fit what was happening and sure didn’t result in a better defense.

They didn't want to play two deep safeties.  The pass rush was so bad and their safeties were so bad in coverage that they were terrified about getting beat over the top.  PK's defense has always featured Cover 3 with one high safety and minimal blitzing when he has the correct personnel.  If you have to bring 5 or 6 on any given play to have any shot at pressuring the QB, you're going to get picked apart in the Big 12.  

Edited by bejezuz
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I am already annoyed at the Card vs. Ewers stuff. 

"This is a real battle! Card actually wasn't that bad last year! He has more experience so that gives him the advantage!".

Uh huh

I know. Yeah he didn’t get a fair shake last year. Did they miss the guy continuously shitting his pants for 3 quarters against Arkansas?

9 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I am already annoyed at the Card vs. Ewers stuff. 

"This is a real battle! Card actually wasn't that bad last year! He has more experience so that gives him the advantage!".

Uh huh

Welcome to the offseason.

Most people (myself included) know this thing likely ends with Ewers the winner, but I also think it's a little hard headed to not believe a redshirt freshman who only played in like 3.5 games last year can improve over the course of the offseason and provide a legitimate push.

• Like 1

There are only three real questions for me-

1) Can we play with Alabama?  Make it competitive for at least a half? Or does it go dark...

2) Can we cobble together a decent O-line, to give our QB time to something more than run for his life?

3) Will players have stepped up into TRUE leadership roles on the team?  I blame a lot of our second half collapses on a lack of team leadership.  Especially relating to intensity when we do get ahead.  It's not unique to Texas football.  Most any team without leaders on the field ratcheting up the pressure when AHEAD is doomed to have the game tighten, with a potential loss as the emotion flows out of the team as the other team emotionally surges mounting a comeback.

It's hard for me objectively to say that we will be in a worse position this year than we were last year when the season started.  Of course 'Bama stomps a mud hole in us and that emotional #3 looms especially large going forward.  So I am cautiously optimistic. Bama will be a big indicator! But damn guys, can't we get just a tiny bit of non-shit flavored kool aid? Maybe only on Sunny weather weekdays for example... 😉

Edited by horn4life

1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

Kool-aid thread didn't even last 1 spring practice.

Bunch of chicken little motherfuckers in here.

Sack up.

This really isn't fair. Our coaches chose against immediate improvements at O-line and LB. I hope we don't ever go full-aggie and get mad at people for having legitimate concerns. 

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

You said this yesterday and I asked if the portal season was over and the rosters were set in stone. Is it?

Sark chose not to improve our O-line & LBs last year through the portal, and that more than anything else, led to a 5-win season. 

He has made no effort to rectify that mistake so far this offseason. I sincerely hope he proves me wrong, but for some surreal reason, he (wrongly) has confidence in the crap show we will roll out as starters at these position groups. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

You said this yesterday and I asked if the portal season was over and the rosters were set in stone. Is it?

Once spring ends and people know where they stand depth chart wise you’ll see more movement. But then they’ll have limited time to get acclimated to the new team, plus it’s unlikely actual good players will be looking for a new place that late. 

2 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Sark chose not to improve our O-line & LBs last year through the portal, and that more than anything else, led to a 5-win season. 

He has made no effort to rectify that mistake so far this offseason. I sincerely hope he proves me wrong, but for some surreal reason, he (wrongly) has confidence in the crap show we will roll out as starters at these position groups. 

We all know how this plays out. We get all excited about the team in the off-season.

Then during their first real test, the opposing team marches down the field for a 5 play, 80 yard drive in < 2 minutes. That is quickly followed by a quick 3 and out on offense that is comprised of a run up the middle for no gain, a short pass for 1 yard, and incompletion on 3rd down. 

27 minutes ago, horn4life said:

1) Can we play with Alabama?  Make it competitive for at least a half? Or does it go dark...

2) Can we cobble together a decent O-line, to give our QB time to something more than run for his life?

3) Will players have stepped up into TRUE leadership roles on the team? 

No, no, and no.

#shitwater

Wtf is with all the negativity.  If Ewers is legit this offense will be fucking badass.  Shit, the offensive depth chart reported features NINE guys with starting experience.  Same for defense.  If our QB and coaches are worth a runny fuck this is a 10+ win team.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, horn4life said:

3) Will players have stepped up into TRUE leadership roles on the team?  I blame a lot of our second half collapses on a lack of team leadership.  Especially relating to intensity when we do get ahead.  It's not unique to Texas football.  Most any team without leaders on the field ratcheting up the pressure when AHEAD is doomed to have the game tighten, with a potential loss as the emotion flows out of the team as the other team emotionally surges mounting a comeback.

It's hard for me objectively to say that we will be in a worse position this year than we were last year when the season started.  Of course 'Bama stomps a mud hole in us and that emotional #3 looms especially large going forward.  So I am cautiously optimistic. Bama will be a big indicator! But damn guys, can't we get just a tiny bit of non-shit flavored kool aid? Maybe only on Sunny weather weekdays for example... 😉

I think people vastly under-rate the QBs role in sack rates. People have done studies and sack rates are quite consistent over a QB's career, even when he changes teams. Sack rate show huge volatility, when there is a QB change. Really hoping Ewers will help in this department. Also I am hoping to see more RPOs. Sark went more PA passes, than RPOs last year. I think that is because he did not trust the QBs to make the reads. 

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/sacks-are-a-quarterback-stat-01dxqapkgvw9

16 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Wtf is with all the negativity.  If Ewers is legit this offense will be fucking badass.  Shit, the offensive depth chart reported features NINE guys with starting experience.  Same for defense.  If our QB and coaches are worth a runny fuck this is a 10+ win team.

It really shouldn’t be that hard to figure out.

Returning a bunch of starters from a terrible defense isn’t exactly a great thing, and if our coaches were worth a runny fuck last year, that team would’ve easily won more than 5 games. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

Kool-aid thread didn't even last 1 spring practice.

Bunch of chicken little motherfuckers in here.

Sack up.

Based on the timing of Herman’s 10 win season, it’s always the years where everyone thinks we suck ass that we actually play well. So I’m okay with no Kool-Aid. It’s always the hypey years that end up disappointing.

43 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

You mean the same staff that lost to Kansas at home last year?

• Hook 'Em 1

Please answer my question. Okay

Is portal season over? No

No more OL or LB are available or will become available? More could be available.

Are we not adding anymore players between now and fall camp? Based on Sark not adding any O-line & LB transfers that are difference-makers last offseason and so far this offseason, I don't think so.

He signed the number 1 OL class in the country, including two five stars who are likely to be better than many of the options available in the portal. I don't think they will meaningfully contribute this season. I am also worried we will have a poor season and many of the highly touted recruits will leave. Baylor added multiple linemen via the portal after a 2 win season and then won the conference. 

Miss me with the "he's made no effort to rectify the weakness on the team and just sat on his ass the last 4 months" bullshit. He hasn't done it for this season. If we suck again, and lose a lot of these freshmen, how will you feel then?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

This really isn't fair. Our coaches chose against immediate improvements at O-line and LB. I hope we don't ever go full-aggie and get mad at people for having legitimate concerns. 

You keep saying this.  

The portal is ever-evolving...like someone else said there will be post spring movement.  

If the team is as shit-tastic as a lot of folks here think it is, then we should have no problem adding some LB from SELouisiana St to step in and start.

3 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Are we not adding anymore players between now and fall camp? Based on Sark not adding any O-line & LB transfers that are difference-makers last offseason and so far this offseason, I don't think so.

We have a transfer LB visiting literally next weekend.

3 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

He signed the number 1 OL class in the country, including two five stars who are likely to be better than many of the options available in the portal. I don't think they will meaningfully contribute this season. I am also worried we will have a poor season and many of the highly touted recruits will leave. Baylor added multiple linemen via the portal after a 2 win season and then won the conference. 

Miss me with the "he's made no effort to rectify the weakness on the team and just sat on his ass the last 4 months" bullshit. He hasn't done it for this season. If we suck again, and lose a lot of these freshmen, how will you feel then?

Holy crap, I forgot you were the guy from a while back who said we have to meet a certain number of wins to retain our talented players. If we win 7 games, Kelvin Banks is gone but the moment we win our 8th game, Banks will pledge his allegiance to the 40 acres forever via social media.

2 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

You mean the same staff that lost to Kansas at home last year?

When you are dealing with young people when you get into a death spiral things just have a hard time getting worked out.  There is a timeline last year where we hold onto the OU game and win by 3 TD's, as it looked like we were well on our way to doing, the team is confident, poised and relaxed and we win- oh- I don't know maybe 9 games and the season seems like a big success.

I'm going to just flush Kansas out of my mind and chalk that up to- shit got borked and we weren't good enough to fix it.  That is a plausible read.  

I think that your take is probably more likely than not to be right, but this is all a probabilistic endeavor where we only have 12 data points and they are binary.  You are talking in absolutes when you should be talking in probabilities.  I compared it to a straight draw with 8 or so outs-  you are talking about something like a 1 in 5 chance at winning 10+ games with this team. Then- there's probably a 2/5 chance that we win 7-9 games and a 2-5 chance we are 500 or below.  You acting like there is no ceiling to this team and nothing can go right. That's not true.  And it's also not wildly implausible. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic