2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

I don’t see how this team can go better than 7-5 unless there is some massive surprise. And it won’t matter if they go 7-5 or worse.

The storyline of a four-year re-build by Sark has already been laid last year and they will follow through on it. By the end of year four we could be even further behind several other in-conference and out of conference programs. Unrecoverable? Maybe not because we have money. 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I remember when this kid was recruited as a linebacker, there were some positive reports about his work on special teams last year. I know he got a little work at safety too. I’m not sure what to expect from him but Darius Terrell was really high in the kid when we initially signed him if I remember right.

5 hours ago, ousux said:

I would like to believe someone who coached at Bama and had a brief stint in the NFL (talking about Flood here, but Sark as well) knows O-line talent when they see it. Maybe no sure-fire upgrade that would realistically come here hit the portal? Idk man, but willing to let it play out and see what happens.

I would like to believe they know talent too. As for playing it out and seeing what happens.....we did that last year and it was a disaster. Now, we will likely start pretty much the same crew with the best of the bunch no longer here. 

You said maybe no one hit the portal. They did last offseason......Baylor took multiple linemen from the portal and went from 2 wins to conference champs. If you don't find that point to be compelling, and a serious black mark on the talent assessment capabilities of Sark, then I don't know what else to say. 

...and, if Sark wanted a kid and couldn't convince him to choose us over Baylor, he is definitely the wrong man for this job. 

Edited by JFKFC

5 hours ago, Codaxx said:

anyone could leave, they could leave if Texas wins 10. Kelvin is more likely staying if Texas wins 6-7, because he is more likely to start in that scenario. Go undefeated and that probably means Karic locked down the job and Banks never sees the field. He is a bigger transfer risk now. So should we root for 8-9 games to be safe? 

Kelvin would be at least a 3-year starter at any school in the country...including Bama & UGA. He will get NIL money anywhere. I think he wants to win and a 6-7 win Texas season would likely compel him to leave. 

7 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

I would like to believe they know talent too. As for playing it out and seeing what happens.....we did that last year and it was a disaster. Now, we will likely start pretty much the same crew with the best of the bunch no longer here. 

You said maybe no one hit the portal. They did last offseason......Baylor took multiple linemen from the portal and went from 2 wins to conference champs. If you don't find that point to be compelling, and a serious black mark on the talent assessment capabilities of Sark, then I don't know what else to say. 

So you think the only thing Baylor did to have that turnaround was bring in a few transfer OL?

Come on man.  

im on my phone, so I can’t edit this post properly. 

Please disregard this post as you just aren’t making sense, and I won’t be engaging any further

Edited by Atticus
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I don’t see how this team can go better than 7-5 unless there is some massive surprise. And it won’t matter if they go 7-5 or worse.

The storyline of a four-year re-build by Sark has already been laid last year and they will follow through on it. By the end of year four we could be even further behind several other in-conference and out of conference programs. Unrecoverable? Maybe not because we have money. 

You act like the Big 12 is full of world beaters….   This team should be more talented then any other team in the Big 12 and the only one close to or possibly better is OU.  

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

You act like the Big 12 is full of world beaters….   This team should be more talented then any other team in the Big 12 and the only one close to or possibly better is OU.  

Do last year analysis now too. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Kelvin would be at least a 3-year starter at any school in the country...including Bama & UGA. He will get NIL money anywhere. I think he wants to win and a 6-7 win Texas season would likely compel him to leave. 

So Sark didn’t address the OL at all because his #1 OL recruiting class won’t contribute this year, but also one of his 5-star OL recruits would be a at least a 3-year starter at bama. 

Makes sense. got it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Hope is the best way to operate as a fan because it usually works out really well for the sucker who is hoping.

I willingly search out kool-aid to drink all offseason and I'm happy all offseason because off it. Then we win a few games at the beginning and I'm still happy. Then I'm sad when we collapse mid-season through the end of the season, then signing day starts serving kool-aid and the cycle repeats.

Meanwhile, the anti-kool-aid brigrade is just pissed and sad all year long.

Game, Polyannas.

(Also, you are 100% correct about Meyer.)

This is the correct response and, hilariously, I'm almost always pessimistic in every other aspect of life.

14 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

You think they were world beaters LAST year? They don’t have to beat the world, they just have to beat steve Sarkisian.

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

Do last year analysis now too. 

I get it, but oline, WR, DL, DB, QB, should all be improved for sure.  I still think they get another transfer LB.  Last year half the defense quit at the end of the season and the starting qb played with injured throwing hand half the season and the backup was useless. Now if Ewers gets hurt or fails to live up to the hype, shits going to get bad.  Sark really should have went and found a backup qb somewhere in the off-season before spring ball.  

Just now, Hook1997 said:

I get it, but oline, WR, DL, DB, QB, should all be improved for sure.  I still think they get another transfer LB.  Last year half the defense quit at the end of the season and the starting qb played with injured throwing hand half the season and the backup was useless. Now if Ewers gets hurt or fails to live up to the hype, shits going to get bad.  Sark really should have went and found a backup qb somewhere in the off-season before spring ball.  

Based on what?

3 hours ago, 6th Street said:

In those 93 games, Sarkisian has never won when being down at halftime. 

He won after being down at half in the last game he coached. Although I know it's unfair to ask you to remember something that happened 4 months ago.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Based on what?

O-Line: hard to see them any worse than last year and they were passable for most of the last half of the season. Conner can’t be any worse than Imade/Okafor and Banks can’t be any worse than Jones on the left side. Angilau will be a 4 year starter.

DL: I’ll say this is an upgrade if we add Mathis. Allows Collins to kick back inside so two positions upgrade. Murphy another year in the system and Ojomo/Swear are reliable inside. This doesn’t even factor in Coburn kicking it into gear potentially.

DB: Watts. Cook at safety is better than either guy from last year. Barron at nickel means we upgrade coverage there.

WR: add Neyor. Whittington back for another year. Worthy in year 2. Washington is reliable. Adding Brenen Thompson in June.

QB: Can’t be any worse than not being able to throw forward passes in several games last year. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 5

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

O-Line: hard to see them any worse than last year and they were passable for most of the last half of the season. Conner can’t be any worse than Imade/Okafor and Banks can’t be any worse than Okafor on the left side. Angilau will be a 4 year starter.  Best OL class, it’s oline not qb some of these guys will be ready and will contribute this year  

DL: I’ll say this is an upgrade if we add Mathis. Allows Collins to kick back inside so two positions upgrade. Murphy another year in the system and Ojomo/Swear are reliable inside. This doesn’t even factor in Coburn kicking it into gear potentially.

DB: Watts. Cook at safety is better than either guy from last year. Barron at nickel means we upgrade coverage there. Brooks and Guilbeau will be up to speed and play  

WR: add Neyor. Whittington back for another year. Worthy in year 2. Washington is reliable. Adding Brenen Thompson in June.  Troy O. Healthy

QB: Can’t be any worse than not being able to throw forward passes in several games last year. 

Just added to his list..

Edited by Hook1997
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

O-Line: hard to see them any worse than last year and they were passable for most of the last half of the season. Conner can’t be any worse than Imade/Okafor and Banks can’t be any worse than Jones on the left side. Angilau will be a 4 year starter.

DB: Watts. Cook at safety is better than either guy from last year. Barron at nickel means we upgrade coverage there.

WR: add Neyor. Whittington back for another year. Worthy in year 2. Washington is reliable. Adding Brenen Thompson in June.

That’s 2 “can’t be worse than last year”, which has practically been our motto since Colt’s last game.

I’ll give you the DL as a possibility.

Watts yes. Every other DB as improvement is hope.

Worthy yes. 

1 minute ago, Hook1997 said:

Just added to his list..

I wouldn’t count on Troy O for anything but even without him the position group clearly upgraded.

DB upgraded not only with Watts and a few position moves, but Patterson’s biggest influence will come with the secondary.

- More time with the coaching staffs to get to understand the system.

- New QB who knows rap lyrics will improve overall buy-in.

- New influx of young OL talent motivates OL veterans.

- Gary Patterson's hire motivates all defensive staff to step up their game.

- Excellent transfer talent improves position groups.

Easy 9 wins. It's science.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I wouldn’t count on Troy O for anything but even without him the position group clearly upgraded.

DB upgraded not only with Watts and a few position moves, but Patterson’s biggest influence will come with the secondary.

Fat Gare can’t coach players, can he?

1 minute ago, lilMAC25 said:

That’s 2 “can’t be worse than last year”, which has practically been our motto since Colt’s last game.

I’ll give you the DL as a possibility.

Watts yes. Every other DB as improvement is hope.

Worthy yes. 

Anthony Cook is better than BJ Foster. That isn’t hope.

The QB position upgrade also isn’t hope because we upgraded receiving options around then. Neyor and Billingsly will make life easier when we drop back to pass.

Yes, the OL stuff is more projection and addition from subtraction, but we were decent running the ball (top 10 in the country in line yards which eliminates any Bijan influence). We should continue to be an above average run blocking team and pass protection will again get a tad easier with the weapons we have on offense and added.

I now apply one rule as a key factor for predicted success - the quality of the DL and OL. 

There is an argument that both the DL and OL will start worse than last year but finish better once young players get some snaps and experience.

But history shows over and over that third and fourth year DL and OL are way more developed than first year guys, so the improvement by the end of the year probably won’t be as much as you’d think given the ratings of the players coming in to play more snaps. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I now apply one rule as a key factor for predicted success - the quality of the DL and OL. 

There is an argument that both the DL and OL will start worse than last year but finish better once young players get some snaps and experience.

But history shows over and over that third and fourth year DL and OL are way more developed than first year guys, so the improvement by the end of the year probably won’t be as much as you’d think given the ratings of the players coming in to play more snaps. 

How good was out OL in 08 and 09?  How good an OL has leach ever had?  If you are good enough at the skill positions in college football you don’t we’d to have great or even good lines to win a bunch of games. How about Baylor under a Briles?  Did they have a single NFL?  Anyone make all conference when he had it running?  The last 2 are serious questions- I don’t know but my sense was they didn’t. 

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I agree for the most part, but we won’t be young on the DL, especially on the interior. Adding Collins back to the DT group has us going:

Coburn- senior

Ojomo-senior

Sweat-senior

Collins-Junior

Broughton-Junior

Murphy-Junior

Teams actually didn’t do a whole lot of consistent damage between the tackles against us last year. Outside of K State most teams just went straight for the edge once Jacoby Jones went down.

On the outside, Finkley and Sorrell are the only guys I really see getting in the rotation on the edge assuming we get Mathis.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

Stop.  Brock was the 3 year start at any school, until he wasn’t. Johnson was a huge get, until he wasn’t at Texas anymore. Why do people think a OL from across the country will just get loads of NIL money to transfer? What is the obsession with NIL money and college football fans? #1 reason kids transfer is play time. No need to throw a bunch of shit at the wall and hope it sticks 

1 hour ago, SuckitKevin said:

I remember when this kid was recruited as a linebacker, there were some positive reports about his work on special teams last year. I know he got a little work at safety too. I’m not sure what to expect from him but Darius Terrell was really high in the kid when we initially signed him if I remember right.

Needs some chicken fried steak ASAP

• Hook 'Em 1

We should continue to be an above average run blocking team and pass protection will again get a tad easier with the weapons we have on offense and added.

Our sack rate on passing downs was positively average at slightly inside the top 50 last year. On standard run downs was where we terrible at pass blocking. As Codaxx remarked he hoped to see more RPO and less play action. That alone may impact that rate.

Outside of the Alabama pass rushers, the Georgia front and the Michigan duo from last year, we played against as good pass rushers as anyone did last year. It may not totally prepare us for Alabama, but it’s a decent prep for what we’ll see.

6 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Our sack rate on passing downs was positively average at slightly inside the top 50 last year. On standard run downs was where we terrible at pass blocking. As Codaxx remarked he hoped to see more RPO and less play action. That alone may impact that rate.

Outside of the Alabama pass rushers, the Georgia front and the Michigan duo from last year, we played against as good pass rushers as anyone did last year. It may not totally prepare us for Alabama, but it’s a decent prep for what we’ll see.

That doesn’t surprise me considering we like to take a lot of shots down the field on 1st and 2nd down. Longer developing plays.

That doesn’t surprise me considering we like to take a lot of shots down the field on 1st and 2nd down. Longer developing plays.

Agreed. I also choose to believe defenses have more bodies near the LOS because of Bijan and creating chaos. The QBs were not good at evading sacks either. Jones whiffed way too often, but all out jail breaks were limited. There are a few things that can help out the Oline too. A playmaking QB first and foremost. Year 2 in the system should help as well.

36 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

How good was out OL in 08 and 09?  How good an OL has leach ever had?  If you are good enough at the skill positions in college football you don’t we’d to have great or even good lines to win a bunch of games. How about Baylor under a Briles?  Did they have a single NFL?  Anyone make all conference when he had it running?  The last 2 are serious questions- I don’t know but my sense was they didn’t. 

Texas OL in 08/09 was light years better than any of the garbage we’ve seen for a while.

2 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Texas OL in 08/09 was light years better than any of the garbage we’ve seen for a while.

That’s not true. We were garbage then too. We couldn’t run worth a shit and colt got thrown around like a rag doll when he took more than 1.8 seconds to try to find Shipley. Those OL were trash. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That’s not true. We were garbage then too. We couldn’t run worth a shit and colt got thrown around like a rag doll when he took more than 1.8 seconds to try to find Shipley. Those OL were trash. 

You’re thinking of late in 09 (Nebraska and then MNC vs Bama).

we ran the ball right up OU’s ass in 08. 
2008-167 YPG rushing

2009-140 YPG rushing

We weren’t nearly then juggernaut we had been earlier in the decade running the ball, but we did just fine.

Edited by lilMAC25

3 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

You’re thinking of late in 09 (Nebraska and then MNC vs Bama).

we ran the ball right up OU’s ass in 08. 

How about the shitty OU in 09 that we barely beat because we couldn’t do shit on offense bc our OL sucked?

Seriously, every decent DL we played shoved it up our OL’s Ass. Yet we still went 13-1. 

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

How about the shitty OU in 09 that we barely beat because we couldn’t do shit on offense bc our OL sucked?

Seriously, every decent DL we played shoved it up our OL’s Ass. Yet we still went 13-1. 

The defensive line we had (and the rest of the D) was badass. along with an actual proven badass at QB and WR.

We don’t have that now.

Edited by lilMAC25

Just now, lilMAC25 said:

The defensive line we had (and the rest of the D) was badass. We don’t have that now.

I’m not talking about defensive line. I’m talking about the offense. 
we had the mastermind Greg Davis, a horrible offense, nothing special at tail back and colt and Shipley. And we won our first 13 games. A great or even good OL is not necessary for a 10 win team. We’ve done it before. Leach did it over and over. It could happen again, and for all the posting and moaning it’s entirely possible our OL is essentially average next year. 

13 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m not talking about defensive line. I’m talking about the offense. 
we had the mastermind Greg Davis, a horrible offense, nothing special at tail back and colt and Shipley. And we won our first 13 games. A great or even good OL is not necessary for a 10 win team. We’ve done it before. Leach did it over and over. It could happen again, and for all the posting and moaning it’s entirely possible our OL is essentially average next year. 

Mike Leach has TWO 10 or more win seasons in his career. 10 years apart. 2008 and 2018.

Texas was a balanced badass team in 2008. Badasses all around on both sides of the ball. We fucked teams up.

Texas in 2009 was a very good team who relied heavily on a superstar all timer at QB and a bad ass D.

this team has neither.

Edited by lilMAC25

2 hours ago, Atticus said:

So you think the only thing Baylor did to have that turnaround was bring in a few transfer OL?

No, that isn't the only thing they did. It was arguably the most important thing they did in going from 2 wins to conference champs.

2 hours ago, Askew said:

So Sark didn’t address the OL at all because his #1 OL recruiting class won’t contribute this year, but also one of his 5-star OL recruits would be a at least a 3-year starter at bama. 

Makes sense. got it. 

Sophomore, Junior and Senior year if he stayed. 

2 hours ago, SuckitKevin said:

I actually thought he was the most underrated recruit in the class. He was a violent MF’er in high school and I thought he could have been a solution at linebacker. But now I’m afraid he is a tweener and destined for a career on special teams. 

24 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Mike Leach has TWO 10 or more win seasons in his career. 10 years apart. 2008 and 2018.

Texas was a balanced badass team in 2008. Badasses all around on both sides of the ball. We fucked teams up.

Texas in 2009 was a very good team who relied heavily on a superstar all timer at QB and a bad ass D.

this team has neither.

We might have a heisman caliber running back.

We might have 3 NFL WR on our roster. We have a QB ranked recruit that comes along every 5 or 7 years. The idea that you can’t be successful until you have a studly offensive line is nonsense. They can be schemed around in this modern era of basketball on grass in college football with the right other players. We’ve done it before. We might (might) have the pieces to do it again. It’s not optimal but the idea that you have to be great in the trenches to win at a high level in college football isn’t true. Hell, we could just train our OL to hold on every play like all of our conference brethren 

Now, we will get buttfucked by Alabama, but nobody is arguing that. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

4 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

If he was our OC, I would be thrilled.  But as a HC?  It was not good.  He lost 6 games in a row, and it is not like he was playing murderer's row.

That wasn’t a compliment to him…last year was exactly who he’s shown himself to be as a HC in the past. 

Edited by Loop 1604

3 hours ago, Had Enough said:

I’d put up $100 that we win 10 this year.

I’ll take that bet. This team will be very lucky to go 8-5.

Why do you guys fall for this shit every year? Is 12-13 years in a row (save for the 2018 aberration) not enough to convince you? 

Edited by Loop 1604

11 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

No, that isn't the only thing they did. It was arguably the most important thing they did in going from 2 wins to conference champs.

They got rid of their QB who literary couldn’t throw, told Larry Fedora to get as far away from the football facility as possible and embraced their defense littered with upperclassmen and 5 or 6 NFL draft picks that Rhule left behind. Acquiring two lineman, neither of which made appearances on the all-conference coaches teams, was about 8th on the list of reasons they improved.

Did I mention their QB literally couldn’t throw in 2020?

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

This may be sunshine pumping but I can certainly see a 7-5/8-4 type season with optimism heading into 2023. The floor at QB will be higher and by the end of the year I fully expect QB play to be a plus. I also think WR will be greatly improved with Neyor and Billingsley. Offensive line will continue to be below conference average early in the year and should show out later in the season. I think the offense will give us a lot of optimism, especially late in the year. 

The defense, unfortunately I think is going to frustrate the hell out of us. Since we made no change in strategy or coaching and are relying solely on better players being the only solution, it’s going to be fucking ugly early in the year. I expect multiple coaches getting fired up to and including the coordinator. Unless Ford makes a huge leap at LB and we magically find two above average safeties right away I cannot imagine good things early in the season. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

How can you even say this before a game has been played?

Well, I’m going off of 9.95 reports that Patterson and PK think the scheme was not the issue and it’s all a personnel issue. I think even Sark said as much in a press conference. 

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic