2022 Property Tax Thread

I've never even come close to needing to protest before, but I will this year. I'm kind of confused on how this all works though.

• we bought a newly-built house in 3/2021
  • 2021 appraised value was 89% of the purchase price, so I said cool and didn't contest anything
  • tried to apply for a homestead exemption after purchase and was told I needed to wait until January 1, 2022 to apply. Lot/house was owned by the builder for a year-ish, so no HSE during that time. We had a HSE on our previous house (sold 4/2021).
  • Just checked and the 2022 appraised value is 111% of the purchase price (24% gain from 2021 -> 2022)

Questions:

• Am I not protected by the 10% cap on increases? I understand that doesn't apply if there's a change of owner, but I'm confused on how the timing works. I owned the house on December 31, 2021 and January 1, 2022.
  • Should I just show my closing documents to the appraisal district, or try to do better than that on the value?
  • They list about 30 sf more than I actually have, do I contest that too?
  • Who y'all using to contest? First people I Googled wanted 45% of the savings which feels really steep but maybe thats the going rate?

56 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I believe you have to have lived in the home on jan1 of the year to claim a hse. 
since there wasn’t one on it already I think you are out of luck, other than the appeal process. 

So when I get my tax bill for 2022 later this year, it should have the HSE on it, right? I mean, I definitely lived there on January 1, 2022.

24 minutes ago, tokamak said:

So when I get my tax bill for 2022 later this year, it should have the HSE on it, right? I mean, I definitely lived there on January 1, 2022.

Make sure you apply for it. Not sure about all counties, but here in wilco you have to provide a tx dl with the address you are claiming as homestead. My dmv appt is in may so I can’t submit for hse until after then. 

• 9 months later...

Not sure if this is the best place, but...

Son bought a house in April 2022.  Previous owner was elderly and had the over-65 property tax exemptions.  He noticed that his tax bill still included these exemptions.  It is not clear if he needs to get that corrected/changed for the 2022 tax year.  What needs to be done, if anything? 

Or does this fall under the same category as the valuation?  Set early in the tax year and not changed until the following year?

Son bought a house in April 2022.  Previous owner was elderly and had the over-65 property tax exemptions.  He noticed that his tax bill still included these exemptions.  It is not clear if he needs to get that corrected/changed for the 2022 tax year.  What needs to be done, if anything? 
Or does this fall under the same category as the valuation?  Set early in the tax year and not changed until the following year?

Nothing. You get that discounted rate for the first partial year. Prepare his anus for his first full year of taxes.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

He needs to apply for the 2023 homestead exemption and pray the prior owner doesn’t transfer his tax ceiling and or remove the HS for 2022. His 10% cap won’t come into play until 2024.

His escrow is probably all fucked up right now and he should be saving a lot more to cover the 2023 taxes. Mortgage escrow is typically determined based on prior year taxes. If the owner had the over-65 exemption for a hike his school tax bill (largest of the bunch) will be ridiculously low compared to actual and the escrow will be way short.
  • Hook 'Em 1