Hogwart's Legacy

Michael Knight

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
2 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

Seems like a big game.

It's an incredibly huge game, and not because of the game world or anything in the game itself, but because it's expensive, being developed and published by Warner Brothers, and they are desperate to get the Harry Potter franchise back on track and under control any way they can, even if they have to use a video game to do it.

Which is ironic, because if they had started the prequel movie series with Jude Law and Mads Mikkelsen, it'd be booming.

On 1/10/2023 at 3:49 PM, Hawndoh said:

Seems like a big game. I'm sure any exclusive content isn't huge or critical. I'd imagine it also ends up on all systems later on anyway

So the side quest apparently will come to all platforms after a year but I think some cometic stuff and the Felix Felicis potion will stay PS exclusives.

Wasn't FF essential to the original storyline? I know it's a new story. So basically, if you're not on a PS then no Felix Felicis.

• 2 weeks later...

If you've preordered you can also preinstall. The Series X version with the HD texture pack is 76 gigs. And mine is only downloading at 25 Mbps so it takes a while.

My internet provider is way faster than that but for some reason that's usually as fast as I can get from the Microsoft store.

Well I got it up to 85 Mbps. It throttles download if you have a game running in the background. But it was showing no game running, wasn't giving me the force quit option. 

But I think it still believed there was one. So I started the last game I had played again, then force quit it from the menu, and that upped my speed a bit.

Still not my full bandwidth from my service provider but three times faster than it was.

Edited by Hawndoh

On 4/10/2022 at 11:29 AM, Celery Man said:

I’m mid thirties and started reading the books in 7th grade. I’d be in regardless but also I’m married to a lunatic so this may be the catalyst for buying a next gen system

Hell yea brother!!!

54 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Not having co-op or multiplayer is a big negative for me

Same, I enjoy multiplayer more now but I'm still in 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hawndoh said:

Hehe, that's a huge positive for me! I mostly prefer single player games.

Same. Bc I’m such a casual gamer. If I want to play with friends, we will Fortnite or COD. But since half my gaming group became dads last year, we only game together like once every 3 months 

i would enjoy co-op, except then I'd have to... buy another xbox or buy it on both consoles if it was cross platform because mostly I'd end up playing with my wife. But yeah, if this was an MMORPG or something it would ruin it for me. I can do maybe an hour a night if I'm not worn out, by the time I've been sorted into a house the game would be full of little fucking voldemorts.

I keep wanting to play Sea of Thieves because it seems like a game I would love, I just don't have the capacity to pull a crew together or the time/energy required to become good enough to defend my ship.

It gets you access to some kind of dark arts area or room.

I didn't look into it in great detail but I I think it's a place where you can use the forbidden curses, or you can use them as much as you want.

But I didn't research much more because I didn't want spoilers and I was only buying the standard edition anyway.

They're already charging more for the Series X/PS5 version, another price hike on top of that seemed too much.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

16 hours ago, Capn81 said:

Thanks for the info! I still need to decide what platform I am purchasing the game on anyway, might just see how the optimization is across the board.

Yeah, while I prefer PC, if it's decent on the Switch, that's what we have hooked up to our living room TV and it's what the kids play the most on.

• Like 1

Played an hour or two, the intro and the first few simple quest missions. Definitely digging it and looking forward to getting fully into it.

Got hufflepuff. Wish I had made my character a bit more unique looking, he’s basically a twin of that Sebastian kid from Slytherin.

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Interesting blurb, I didn't realize there was an effort to boycott this (which backfired):

The new Harry Potter video game, Hogwarts Legacy, isn’t even officially out yet and it’s already a top seller—despite J.K. Rowling detractors urging players to set down their controllers.

One of the most anticipated single-player RPGs of the year (Zelda’s obviously No. 1) will be available for general sale on Friday, but Potterheads willing to spend extra galleons got early access with the purchase of its Deluxe Edition starting on Tuesday. Even with that limited release, the game has already…

• Broken the record for most concurrent views on Twitch for a single-player game (1.2 million).
  • Become the top earner on the video game marketplace Steam, the bestseller on the Epic Store, and taken both the No. 1 and No. 2 bestseller spots for its regular and deluxe versions on Amazon for the PlayStation 5.

If you only became a free elf yesterday…

The calls for a boycott stem from J.K. Rowling’s polarizing views on transgender rights. Ever since she got tweet-happy about them in 2019, some former fans have stopped buying Gryffindor scarves to keep royalty checks out of her bank account.

Despite the game developer Avalanche adding a transgender character to the game at the last minute, Hogwarts Legacy couldn’t avoid the controversy. Influential gamers have been telling fans not to play the game, while others have added custom tags to the game in Steam, including “genocide simulator.” At least one popular gaming chat forum banned discussion of it and some critics refused to review it.

Zoom out: This isn’t the first time a boycott backfired. Goya sales rose 22% two weeks after social media users called on consumers to stop buying it, and Nike sales went up 31% after a controversial campaign led to some people burning their shoes in protest. Oh, and did we mention that Louis CK sold out a show at Madison Square Garden last week?

Look, JKR sucks. Like a lot. But for a lot of people, it’s a franchise we grew up that just put out the most immersive and highly anticipated game after 25 years. Playing a game doesn’t mean I support JKR or her dumbass beliefs. Some of us came of age on Harry Potter (phrasing) 

• Hook 'Em 4

16 hours ago, Js1 said:

Look, JKR sucks. Like a lot. But for a lot of people, it’s a franchise we grew up that just put out the most immersive and highly anticipated game after 25 years. Playing a game doesn’t mean I support JKR or her dumbass beliefs. Some of us came of age on Harry Potter (phrasing) 

You can go poking around pretty much any major literary figure who built out a massive world or music group with a large following/catalog, or whatever and find something you don't like (except maybe Rick Riordan and maybe Tolkien).  Yeah, she's a complete cunt about some things in a very open manner, and yeah, she's making money from it (not as much as people think though), but this was a massive part of a lot of people's lives, and those people are heading into their 30s and 40s (while new fans are coming into the fold) and you can't erase that aspect.

Funny how this is coming out in 2023, but over 20 years ago, EA was trying to get an open-world Harry Potter MMO going with the Origin/Ultima Online folks.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah I got just past sorting last night and it is cool. Wife called me up today to show me her menagerie of nifflers, hippogriffs, thestrals, etc playing with toy balls and having their bellies rubbed in a pasture inside her room of requirement. It really does seem like it lets you do a lot of the things that you would want to do for fun as a new wizard.

• Hook 'Em 1

I didn't pay for the early access so I only started today after work. Became a Ravenclaw and made it to Hogsmeade.

Really digging it so far.

And I find the calls for boycotts silly. Sure JKR is a bitch, but the IP has kind of outgrown its author. So much of the look and feel of this game is based on the movies. It's not like she wrote this plot. And she has a level of wealth where the success or failure of a video game is meaningless to her.

I can enjoy something even if it was created by a bad person.

Michael Jackson likely molested kids but if Thriller comes on the radio I still turn it up.

• Hook 'Em 1