NIL Recruiting News Megathread

texifornia

Number 1. On tapa so can’t copy and paste but the part of 1 year rentals. Really? If those 1 year rentals got you a championship who would care?? Even just to the playoffs. Honestly we’re so down that if we’re being honest one year rentals who could at least win us a big xii championship would be fine.

I understand the, where’s the honor, pride, etc.. but come on because that’s what these 18-20 year olds are really thinking. They aren’t at all thinking of the money they could be making right now to help their family or even selfish reasons. Unfortunately I love Texas, but if someone offered me anything close to what these kids are getting. Even the “chump” change Barron could be getting. I would be gone in a heartbeat. Especially with the shit show that texas is at the moment. It would be another story if we were in the conversations for playoffs but to die on the field just to get bowl eligible? No thanks.

We saw it before NIL, kids leaving early for the draft and not even getting drafted but the chance to at least make the practice squad and some money. As much as we can argue it isn’t fair, it’s ruining college football,etc…like we’re really gonna stop watching. If that last 10 years didn’t make us, this sure as hell won’t lol. It boils down to money and championships. “ We aren’t going to win championships playing by the rules. I wish we could but that’s not the reality. How much is bama willing to spend? Heck, how much have they spent. Even Georgia. It’s all worth it if it gets you the W’s. Every one is mad at Lincoln Riley but it’s obvious he is trying to win now. Don’t we wish sark is being cut throat like him?

TLDR; Scared money don’t make no money.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

From Some poster on IT:

Thoughts @closetojumping and @Barbacoa

Without an anti trust exemption from Congress or a collective bargaining agreement with unionized student athletes negotiated on a regular basis (which is completely unworkable in my mind for a variety of reasons, but you see it posited over and over again) there is very little a different association can do to curb NIL pay for play legally. 

The sad news about the above post is that just like is true traditionally, generating revenue and preserving the sources of that revenue is more important than actually winning championships, particularly in football. 

A different association will likely raise revenue substantially depending on what form it takes and how it is implemented. For example, taking over the men’s basketball tournament while implementing the same format under a different distribution model could produce an enormous windfall. Also, separating other sports such as women’s basketball, volleyball, softball, and college baseball could provide a minor increase in funding for those sports  

The biggest one would be implementing a 16 team playoff among 60 or so of the top funded schools.

The truth is the most talented athletes have a market value well above what universities like Texas and the poster above want to pay annually. Any effort to pay them less is going to end in failure, rather because they’ll get paid by someone under the table, or they’ll get paid above board through NIL. The genie is out of the bottle. Pandora’s Box has been opened. In the mean time administrators and coaches are being paid at a market rate, with plenty of job mobility, which makes the optics unflattering. 

The above poster should quit their subscription to IT and join the forum dedicated to the Moot Court team, or an engineering challenge competition. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Without an anti trust exemption from Congress or a collective bargaining agreement with unionized student athletes negotiated on a regular basis (which is completely unworkable in my mind for a variety of reasons, but you see it posited over and over again) there is very little a different association can do to curb NIL pay for play legally. 

The sad news about the above post is that just like is true traditionally, generating revenue and preserving the sources of that revenue is more important than actually winning championships, particularly in football. 

A different association will likely raise revenue substantially depending on what form it takes and how it is implemented. For example, taking over the men’s basketball tournament while implementing the same format under a different distribution model could produce an enormous windfall. Also, separating other sports such as women’s basketball, volleyball, softball, and college baseball could provide a minor increase in funding for those sports  

The biggest one would be implementing a 16 team playoff among 60 or so of the top funded schools.

The truth is the most talented athletes have a market value well above what universities like Texas and the poster above want to pay annually. Any effort to pay them less is going to end in failure, rather because they’ll get paid by someone under the table, or they’ll get paid above board through NIL. The genie is out of the bottle. Pandora’s Box has been opened. In the mean time administrators and coaches are being paid at a market rate, with plenty of job mobility, which makes the optics unflattering. 

The above poster should quit their subscription to IT and join the forum dedicated to the Moot Court team, or an engineering challenge competition. 

Another organization could decide to make athletes employees couldn't they? They can then limit their ability to take on second jobs.

Or an organization that forms a collective that owns the NIL rights (for compensation) of all athletes that choose to join its schools/league. Splitting any profits according.  Argument could be that there are other leagues for those who don't want to join.

Would this "new" league be a lesser league? Possibly, but would be closer to the "college" system than where we have quickly gotten to.

I am close to being out on the whole deal, honestly.  Like somebody said above, I don't want one-year mercenaries.  College basketball has almost completely lost my interest already.  I know that times are changing. Maybe I need to get off my own lawn. 

At my age I can't imagine my life without college football/sports, but who knows? Perhaps I'll do something useful with that time and money.  My liver is already rejoicing. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

1) fucking boo hoo on his comments. these are the things the blue hairs say and then bitch about Texas falling behind on the field with their next breath.

2) that's true.

3) this guy certainly got his talking points from an LHF employee and took them to heart. I had a guy at the spring game from the LHF attempt the same argument with me and I literally told him he was full of shit and that if they were going to push that nonsense, it was effectively declaring war to people who want to be competitive on the field, not just with fucking facilities. 

4) his description of what is happening out there has no conflict with "NIL". he and others can't seem to grasp that. it's their problem.

5) you know who also has endowed scholarships at McCombs? me. same inside the AD too. I get the letters every year. I've seen some of the people graduate. you know what would give me a lot more pleasure? watching UT win the whole fucking thing again in football before I die. this guy's #5 is more full of shit than a fucking septic tank.

I have no doubt this bitch's last paragraph is accurate. It's also a typical reaction of what a power center attempts to do when the ground starts moving underneath it. Innovation disrupts, builds, and destroys with impunity once the first spark in an old market is lit. Those with much to lose will try to change rules and move goalposts to protect their turf. They'll usually get humiliated in the process. Instead of trying to lead the way in taking advantage of anything new, Texas is going to whine about change and try to do whatever it can to keep everyone else away from its milkshake. In any event, they have zero data to support anything pertaining to the notion that NIL is dimming donations with the AD or the general fund. Zero. 

When I read his last paragraph I immediately thought of your words when this all came about that you said LHF and etc would look at NIL as an enemy basically.

42 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

1) fucking boo hoo on his comments. these are the things the blue hairs say and then bitch about Texas falling behind on the field with their next breath.

2) that's true.

3) this guy certainly got his talking points from an LHF employee and took them to heart. I had a guy at the spring game from the LHF attempt the same argument with me and I literally told him he was full of shit and that if they were going to push that nonsense, it was effectively declaring war to people who want to be competitive on the field, not just with fucking facilities. 

4) his description of what is happening out there has no conflict with "NIL". he and others can't seem to grasp that. it's their problem.

5) you know who also has endowed scholarships at McCombs? me. same inside the AD too. I get the letters every year. I've seen some of the people graduate. you know what would give me a lot more pleasure? watching UT win the whole fucking thing again in football before I die. this guy's #5 is more full of shit than a fucking septic tank.

I have no doubt this bitch's last paragraph is accurate. It's also a typical reaction of what a power center attempts to do when the ground starts moving underneath it. Innovation disrupts, builds, and destroys with impunity once the first spark in an old market is lit. Those with much to lose will try to change rules and move goalposts to protect their turf. They'll usually get humiliated in the process. Instead of trying to lead the way in taking advantage of anything new, Texas is going to whine about change and try to do whatever it can to keep everyone else away from its milkshake. In any event, they have zero data to support anything pertaining to the notion that NIL is dimming donations with the AD or the general fund. Zero. 

What's funny is that a lot of McCombs students (I was one) sitting on the other side from you would agree about wanting a football championship even over receiving a scholarship. Leaders who seem to be most successful have a killer instinct to do better and create something that's actually worthwhile; competitive people don't sit still or settle for a lower standard. There's no sense of vision, risk taking, or significant investment at the highest levels of the athletic department or the administration. It's no different than the lazy pro sports owners who sit on their profits while fans beg hopelessly for them to leave town, claiming that it's the fault of the fans or the players when they fail to put any real investment into their own business. It's all about perception and the narrative about what people think of them, not about achieving real success. I would even take the AD just making a reasonable attempt in trying to achieve success and failing. But for the most part, they're just making excuses and waiting for success to come to them. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

From Some poster on IT:

"doners"

"unmigrated disaster"

what an idiot lol

If #3 is true then we're being led by some astonishingly short-sighted morons. If Texas was in the playoffs every year donations would skyrocket regardless of how much donOr money went to NIL collectives and initiatives. JUST WIN GAMES AND EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE

#4 is also stupid. There has literally never been "equity" for any donations to the University. You don't get to cash out later. What the hell does this even mean?

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

From Some poster on IT:

There is not equity for the donors, there is no return on investment. An assistant AD at Texas yesterday stated that this is an unmigrated disaster.

what is the ROI for putting your name on a building or classroom at Texas? what about for endowing a scholarship?

...of course a Texas AD employee said yesterday that NIL was an issue. they have done quite literally the least they could possibly do to get it off the ground and don't see the short, medium and long term value of something like weaponizing NIL then they just DGAF about the future.

they all want to call football the front porch of the university and if the football team is (very) good, then money pours in but when it comes to doing everything possible to actually make the program successful. then this is too much.

22 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

"doners"

"unmigrated disaster"

what an idiot lol

If #3 is true then we're being led by some astonishingly short-sighted morons. If Texas was in the playoffs every year donations would skyrocket regardless of how much donOr money went to NIL collectives and initiatives. JUST WIN GAMES AND EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE

#4 is also stupid. There has literally never been "equity" for any donations to the University. You don't get to cash out later. What the hell does this even mean?

Stonedvndconfus3d

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sal said:

What's funny is that a lot of McCombs students (I was one) sitting on the other side from you would agree about wanting a football championship even over receiving a scholarship. Leaders who seem to be most successful have a killer instinct to do better and create something that's actually worthwhile; competitive people don't sit still or settle for a lower standard. There's no sense of vision, risk taking, or significant investment at the highest levels of the athletic department or the administration. It's no different than the lazy pro sports owners who sit on their profits while fans beg hopelessly for them to leave town, claiming that it's the fault of the fans or the players when they fail to put any real investment into their own business. It's all about perception and the narrative about what people think of them, not about achieving real success. I would even take the AD just making a reasonable attempt in trying to achieve success and failing. But for the most part, they're just making excuses and waiting for success to come to them. 

Love this

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

SIAP but good (long) article on NIL, including a Surly / Burnt Ends reference:

https://www.si.com/college/2022/05/02/nil-name-image-likeness-experts-divided-over-boosters-laws-recruiting

tldr: it's fucked

Wow he just now published this @immamac talked to him like 4 months ago lol made burnt ends sound good. No mention of HWH is surprising but welcomed

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

From Some poster on IT:

4 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I am close to being out on the whole deal, honestly.  Like somebody said above, I don't want one-year mercenaries.  College basketball has almost completely lost my interest already.  I know that times are changing. Maybe I need to get off my own lawn. 

At my age I can't imagine my life without college football/sports, but who knows? Perhaps I'll do something useful with that time and money.  My liver is already rejoicing. 

Mercenaries have been the name of the game in college football for over 100 fucking years. I'm tired of  reading these comments. You should have never been "in" in the first place if you hold this line of thinking.  All this is doing is bringing it up above board.

I wonder if we have any Bellmont shills spreading their propaganda on here? I know that actually used to be a thing in the early days of the internet.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

I'm tired of  reading these comments. You should have never been "in" in the first place if you hold this line of thinking. 

You don't get to determine what I'm "in"  and out of, nor do you get to determine when I withdraw my support or what causes me to do so.

Fuck you. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

2) that's true.

I agree with everything you'd at here. I don't believe any so-called journalist has the balls to say it. Wouldn't you say on #2:

Title 9, although this is correct at the moment, discriminates against male athletes the way it is written? The original idea was to not count football scholarships in the law. And by doing so, it shifts the balance to where males can't get full rides in many sports.

And that some in the Texas admin and other colleges around the country feel that the law could be changed but they don't want to touch it?

What are your thoughts on that? 

4 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

You don't get to determine what I'm "in"  and out of, nor do you get to determine when I withdraw my support or what causes me to do so.

Fuck you. 

Touchy, I don't believe I said I did. I'm just telling you everything you said has already been happening for over 100 years. Why were you here in the first place? You said you were gonna leave because of mercenaries. They are trying to take the black market away and make it above board and that is problem with you? You prefer the black market? That was your stance, not mine.

You do as you choose. I never said otherwise. It just doesn't make any sense.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

I agree with everything you'd at here. I don't believe any so-called journalist has the balls to say it. Wouldn't you say on #2:

Title 9, although this is correct at the moment, discriminates against male athletes the way it is written? The original idea was to not count football scholarships in the law. And by doing so, it shifts the balance to where males can't get full rides in many sports.

And that some in the Texas admin and other colleges around the country feel that the law could be changed but they don't want to touch it?

What are your thoughts on that? 

You got me on Title IX. I've never delved into it or its changeability. It would be awesome if it could be addressed though.

• Hook 'Em 2

I keep waiting for some moron to do a title IX move to try and force NIL parity in mens and womens sports. 

For no other reason than " fairness" .

Fuck the economics. 

If it doesnt come sooner, when there is a crack down on NIL in the future, watch and see if there isnt a push for sexual parity in NIL money. 

It might just be a few op eds. Or some bigger push from the NCAA. 

But you knwo its gonna get brought up. 

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

I keep waiting for some moron to do a title IX move to try and force NIL parity in mens and womens sports. 

For no other reason than " fairness" .

Fuck the economics. 

If it doesnt come sooner, when there is a crack down on NIL in the future, watch and see if there isnt a push for sexual parity in NIL money. 

It might just be a few op eds. Or some bigger push from the NCAA. 

But you knwo its gonna get brought up. 

Do you understand what Title IX is?

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Do you understand what Title IX is?

Basically a sex discrimination law for college. Not only sports but all college activities. 

Do you have a point in asking me that?  Because the lunacy i posted is right along the line of why title IX was enacted. And how some groups have used it. 

If you dont know this, either you arent paying attention, or you agree with the people that think  womens sports should recieve all the benefits mens sports such as Football recieve. Including all economic advantages that the womens sports dont actually earn. 

While i applaud using excess revenue to assist other non revenue sports, i believe the pervue of Title IX is being abused. And NIL is another frontier to be exploited by groups wanting to get something for nothing. 

Cool?

Screenshot_20220504-171934_Samsung Internet.jpg

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

For them, better = the money goes through them so they get a cut

How many more years of suckage before the money coming in begins to dry up? The Texas brand was strong enough to withstand 12+ years of wandering in the desert, can it stand another 10 years?

I believe college athletes deserve to be compensated, however this current situation we're in is a clusterfuck. This is a failure in leadership at all levels by the institutions that basically fucked around and found out. Can it be fixed? I don't know but pandora doesn't go back in the box, he only comes out. So while we bitch and moan about doing whatever it takes to win they will ruin college football and strangle everything we love about it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NorLa Horns said:

Basically a sex discrimination law for college. Not only sports but all college activities. 

Do you have a point in asking me that?  Because the lunacy i posted is right along the line of why title IX was enacted. And how some groups have used it. 

If you dont know this, either you arent paying attention, or you agree with the people that think  womens sports should recieve all the benefits mens sports such as Football recieve. Including all economic advantages that the womens sports dont actually earn. 

While i applaud using excess revenue to assist other non revenue sports, i believe the pervue of Title IX is being abused. And NIL is another frontier to be exploited by groups wanting to get something for nothing. 

Cool?

Screenshot_20220504-171934_Samsung Internet.jpg

A simple 'no' would have sufficed.

• Haha 2

On 5/3/2022 at 4:27 PM, LTtxfan said:

More tweets...

I trust the NCAA, to search for a solution, and decide to fight shady deals by removing transparency 🥷

the answer is not to ban the money boosters from speaking to the athlete (or to pretend that is even possible) it is to require that the contracts be published so all parties can be responsible. 

College, NCAA leaders reportedly set to take aim at NIL's pay-for-play recruiting evolution

Sports Illustrated reports college athletics leaders are grappling with the influx of booster involvement in ongoing "NIL' recruiting efforts

JOHN BRICE      MAY 3, 2022

Condoleezza Rice has been a national political figure, as the United States’ Secretary of State, a trail-blazing member at Augusta National Golf Club and a member of perhaps college athletics’ most-scrutinized group of influencers – the College Football Playoff Selection Committee.

So last week when Rice told an overflow-crowd at the University of Notre Dame that the current state of Name, Image & Likeness solicitation across the collegiate landscape – especially as it pertains to its ever-expanding impact in college football recruiting – has become “the Wild West,” it perhaps resonated a bit more than standard commentary.

Tuesday, Sports Illustrated’s ace reporter, Ross Dellenger, provided insight on the  NCAA’s potential plan to interject itself into the NIL “Wild West” via task force of leaders throughout collegiate athletics

Presently, the NCAA already has bylaws that prohibit any institution’s boosters – those with direct ties and monetary involvement with the school – from involving themselves into the recruitment of a prospective student-athlete. This plan, per the SI report, is set to further drive home that point.

“The new directives will highlight existing NCAA bylaws that outlaw boosters from participating in recruiting, reminding member schools of guardrails that, while in place for years, have been bent and broken during the first 10 months of the NIL era, officials say. Under a long-held NCAA rule, boosters are a representative arm of an athletic department and are not supposed to associate with or persuade prospects,” SI reports.

The impact of NIL – and its perceived prevalence in a de facto monetized recruiting setting, such as The Athletic’s recent report that a 2023 prospect – sources with direct knowledge indicated its consensus five-star prospect and University of Tennessee commitment Nico Iamaleava – was set to receive between $6-8 million for his collegiate services has ratcheted up the drive for some form of governance.

Per the SI report, collegiate leaders have targeted the growing role of booster-led “collectives” across college athletics and particularly impactful in football recruiting. Schools ranging from Ohio State to Texas to South Carolina to Tennessee and Notre Dame, among myriad others, have launched collectives envisioned to directly impact and subsidize student-athletes.

Middle Tennessee State University, for example, recently amended its funding platform to enable donors to directly give to a student-athlete benevolence fund.

At Tennessee, the Spyre Sports Group has been heralded for its role in the Vols’ NIL successes of current student-athletes – from members of the top-ranked UT baseball team to quarterback Hendon Hooker and others – as well its impact in UT’s securing the commitment of Iamaleava, among others.

Spyre Sports is funded primarily from multiple high-level UT boosters whose names adorn multiple buildings upon the Rocky Top campus, as well as also having the direct benefit of legal representation from UT alumni. The group also is headed by multiple UT graduates.

“In recruiting, we have inducements created,” SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey, who’s served on NCAA committees ranging from the Committee on Infractions to Legislative Council to the CFP expansion committee, among others, earlier told SI. “Which was a concern all along.

“You’ve seen the stories. I don’t know that many have been actually verified. Now people have time and creativity and motivation to fully explore NIL and that is very uncomfortable in college athletics, but as long as it is compliant with state law, it seems those activities can take place.”

Speaking of state law, California has been a torchbearer in adopting legislation to empower student-athletes to earn from their personal brands, and Alabama early adopted a proactive NIL law – though the state later rescinded the bill. Just late last month, Tennessee adopted legislation that was signed by Gov. Bill Lee and provided a pathway for the state’s institutions of higher learnings to have direct involvement in the NIL arena.

As a Power-5 coach told FootballScoop, “We’re heading to an entirely different sport. It’s going to look like the NFL if something isn’t done. It’s going to be about 36 teams (with facilities and funding) and everybody else.”

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

I believe college athletes deserve to be compensated, however this current situation we're in is a clusterfuck. This is a failure in leadership at all levels by the institutions that basically fucked around and found out. Can it be fixed? I don't know but pandora doesn't go back in the box, he only comes out. So while we bitch and moan about doing whatever it takes to win they will ruin college football and strangle everything we love about it.

They haven’t cratered college sports yet.  They do seem intent upon achieving their mission however.