NIL Recruiting News Megathread

texifornia

ESPN put up a somewhat interesting article on NIL deals per school and what schools released info.

For all of Saban's calls for transparency Bama released nothing.

Unsurprisingly not only did LSU release nothing but got the state of Louisiana to pass a law protecting NIL deals from open records requests.

Kentucky passes a law that allows athletes to nullify NIL deals when they go pro and makes NIL contracts sealed documents.

ATM has 4.2 mill in NIL of which 3.4 goes to football.

Ohio state has 3 mill of which 2.7 goes to football

We have $879,000 in NIL for football but apparently with that excluding the 4 largest contracts for some reason. Softball was 2nd at like 257k.

Oregon told ESPN and the NCAA to fuck off on requesting NIL figures.

And this bit of genius from the secretary of education to top it off, he'slooking at it through title IX:

""Some of the concerns I have is that it's going to be the male athletes getting paid and [the] just-as-committed, just-as-hard-working women athletes, not. ... Universities must adapt and create structures that are monitoring this, that are communicating what they're doing to proactively create equity," he said.

Genius... ya'll tried that once with facilities donations from private donors and the courts told yall title IX can't be applied to private donations.....these are private contracts.....good lord .  You can require the schools to provide equal access to NIL opportunities,  but you can't make private entities donate money to sports that they don't want to.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34739678/following-nick-saban-jimbo-fisher-nil-spat-schools-answer-call-transparency

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

ESPN put up a somewhat interesting article on NIL deals per school and what schools released info.

For all of Saban's calls for transparency Bama released nothing.

Unsurprisingly not only did LSU release nothing but got the state of Louisiana to pass a law protecting NIL deals from open records requests.

Kentucky passes a law that allows athletes to nullify NIL deals when they go pro and makes NIL contracts sealed documents.

ATM has 4.2 mill in NIL of which 3.4 goes to football.

Ohio state has 3 mill of which 2.7 goes to football

We have $879,000 in NIL for football but apparently with that excluding the 4 largest contracts for some reason. Softball was 2nd at like 257k.

Oregon told ESPN and the NCAA to fuck off on requesting NIL figures.

And this bit of genius from the secretary of education to top it off, he'slooking at it through title IX:

""Some of the concerns I have is that it's going to be the male athletes getting paid and [the] just-as-committed, just-as-hard-working women athletes, not. ... Universities must adapt and create structures that are monitoring this, that are communicating what they're doing to proactively create equity," he said.

Genius... ya'll tried that once with facilities donations from private donors and the courts told yall title IX can't be applied to private donations.....these are private contracts.....good lord .  You can require the schools to provide equal access to NIL opportunities,  but you can't make private entities donate money to sports that they don't want to.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34739678/following-nick-saban-jimbo-fisher-nil-spat-schools-answer-call-transparency

None of those numbers are remotely accurate btw

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah seems like numbers they want you to see. 

There are so many conflicting interests on who wants you to see what.  Players, coaches, ADs, school administrators all have different agendas on what they want you to see and why. Some are happy to boast and claim higher numbers, while others will want to artificially deflate the numbers.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/college-quarterbacks-nil-compensation-nft-partnership-200004496.html

Texas quarterback Quinn Ewers has launched an NFT campaign with Metabillia that will pay him a total of $1 million, Yahoo Finance has learned.

As a result, the 19-year-old's total compensation through name, image, and likeness (NIL) deals is now approaching the $4 million mark.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/college-quarterbacks-nil-compensation-nft-partnership-200004496.html

Texas quarterback Quinn Ewers has launched an NFT campaign with Metabillia that will pay him a total of $1 million, Yahoo Finance has learned.

As a result, the 19-year-old's total compensation through name, image, and likeness (NIL) deals is now approaching the $4 million mark.

The thought of 19 year old me on campus with X million dollars is scary. I’m sure it would have ended with a joint agency raid on my apartment or dorm, likely led by the IRS. 

45 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

God bless them for making all the money they can, but these things are so incredibly bad. 

I’m enjoying imagining NIL from days of old: Eric Metcalf for GM Steakhouse, Ken Hackemack for Player’s, Peter Gardere for Pancho’s, Stanley “The Sherriff” Richard for Texadelphia, etc. 

2 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

God bless them for making all the money they can, but these things are so incredibly bad. 

I’m enjoying imagining NIL from days of old: Eric Metcalf for GM Steakhouse, Ken Hackemack for Player’s, Peter Gardere for Pancho’s, Stanley “The Sherriff” Richard for Texadelphia, etc. 

While I agree that the "feel" is bad. This largely seems like it was filmed in a tiktok format, and thats admittedly some of the appeal.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

Free sonic slushes and drinks? Sign me the fuck up. Don't care if I have to tik, gram, snap crackle n' pop or what

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Sonic has indoor seating? Who knew?

(other than the old shitty one in the Westlake shopping center that didn't even have a drive-thru).

Haha, I think I know the one you're talking about  lol 

7 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

Ricky Williams legalizing weed in '98

I ended up at a bar tab for OU boosters on Friday night after Lee Harveys and going out to dinner. (My date for the game is at OU for her MBA and wanted to meet up with some of her friends there.) I didn't tell anyone there I went to UT but asked about NIL for OU. I was surprised how little of an understanding most of them had about NIL. They are definitely behind the ball compared to us. 

Edited by Tex48
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/7/2022 at 9:13 PM, Hornlover said:

• Hook 'Em 3

NCAA makes major interim NIL changes, allowing coaches to make appearances, provide memorabilia among key modifications

NCAA is also allowing schools to directly promote athletes' NIL opportunities

JOHN BRICE      2 HOURS AGO

The NCAA’s ongoing quest, and that of its member institutions, to find in some way, shape or form to provide guidance on Name, Image and Likeness matters took another turn Wednesday.

The NCAA’s Division I Board of Directors “voted unanimously to clarify how schools can be involved with the name, image and likeness activities of enrolled student-athletes on their campuses,” the NCAA said, in part, in its release.

In its earliest forms, it was established that schools would not have an opportunity to directly participate in the facilitation of endorsement deals and other opportunities that could allow student-athletes to profit from his or her personal brands.

However, that model has changed in the relatively short period that NIL has dramatically changed the landscape of college athletics, particularly in Football Bowls Subdivision football and notably among the sport’s Power-5 members.

“The NIL landscape is constantly evolving, and the Board of Directors decided it was important to offer further guidance with respect to a number of key questions that have arisen recently,” University of Georgia President Dr. Jere Morehead, also chair of the Division I Board, said in the release. “As we continue to reinforce current NCAA rules, we expect to offer further guidance in the future on what should and should not be done when engaged in these activities.

“We are committed to fostering a fair and appropriate NIL environment that supports our students and complies with our rules.”

Among the most noteworthy elements of this latest attempt by the NCAA to corral the nebulous NIL space, the organization said it both allowed an encouraged education of student-athletes about NIL opportunities, the financial and tax implications that oftentimes accompany those paid opportunities, and the NCAA also noted it would allow schools to educate individual boosters, prospects and collectives, such as the ones involved with programs like the University of Tennessee, Georgia, Southern Cal, South Carolina, Florida and other programs that have, for now, harnessed NIL opportunities into enhanced recruiting of prospective student-athletes.

nil_information_web_header.webp

Like many major-college athletics program, the University of Tennessee has dedicated resources on its Web site that pertain to NIL 

Also of particular note:

“The Board also clarified that school personnel (including coaches) CAN assist an NIL entity with fundraising through appearances or by providing autographed memorabilia but CANNOT donate cash directly to those entities (collectives, such as Tennessee’s nationally renowned Spyre Sports Group).

“School staff members also cannot be employed by or have an ownership stake in an NIL entity.”

Those elements could have immediate reactions.

“The new guidance may require institutions and key stakeholders to modify practices, and some disentanglement may be necessary,” Lynda Tealer, chairperson of the NIL Working Group and an executive assistant athletics director at the University of Florida, said in the release.

In blunt terms: some collectives that have been in part funded or staffed directly by university personnel would likely need to divest from those organizations.

The Full NCAA release is available here on the organization’s Web site, and a PDF file with all the latest guidelines from the NCAA also is available at this link 

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, RabidM said:

If the NCAA doesn't get some kind of anti-trust exemption, this will just keep getting worse.  The NCAA can't win in court. None of these things are illegal.  They can't stop it. 

Doesn't it have to be bad to "get worse"? What exactly is the issue with players being compensated by the marketplace? 

You obviously understand there is nothing illegal about it, but why are you seemingly pining for legislative interference that would prohibit a certain class of adults from being able to make money? 

Edited by Huckleberry

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Doesn't it have to be bad to "get worse"? What exactly is the issue with players being compensated by the marketplace? 

You obviously understand there is nothing illegal about it, but why are you seemingly pining for legislative interference that would prohibit a certain class of adults from being able to make money? 

Won't somebody think of the kids?!? Too much money (or winning) is not good for them.

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Here, here!  I think all of this is moving towards an environment whose only real loss is the fiction of amateurism.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

It’s an absolute unexpected gift. We may have a fucking sign in DKR with a QR code to donate while CDC and Sark retweet our shit

This could drastically increase the amount of money coming into NIL. Most casual fans have no clue how to support this stuff because the school and coaches couldn't promote it. This is a game changer if managed right.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Longhornlove said:

This could drastically increase the amount of money coming into NIL. Most casual fans have no clue how to support this stuff because the school and coaches couldn't promote it. This is a game changer if managed right.

Exactly but more importantly...whos jugs in the burnt ends shirt?

• Haha 2