NIL Recruiting News Megathread

texifornia

17 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

You think?

I feel like any NIL deal that extends beyond one year is not a good idea with college players, especially when we’re talking about legitimate marketing for local businesses, so it seems like if the player only wants a one year deal in the first place that’s a secondary consideration.

But UT is in such a unique position being in the largest city in the country with no major pro sports clubs. How many NFL teams have a local car dealership that are going to sign an NIL deal with a rookie running back? Especially given where running backs are valued in the draft these days. Sure, he makes a pro bowl or two and becomes one of the faces of the franchise, I can see it. But out of the draft? Very doubtful his profile is going to resemble what it is in Austin right now. 

Yeah- so there are some positions where guys could probably make more money in college than pros and it might be better off for them to stay. I'm thinking specifically:

Running back (heisman type caliber)- I'd have to think that it could be worth 3-5 million- at least- for the right school to keep the right RB around at that price.  That would also be less treat off his tires than going to the NFL a year early- potentially.  If Addison was worth $3,000,000 to a UT team without legitimate title expectations then if Ewers is good and Bijan is coming off a 2,000 yard season where Texas finishes in the top 5 and there's a ton of program momentum could he get 1 year for $5,000,000 plus which would be more than he'd make in the pros?  I feel like that's on the table.

Middle linebacker- another position that can have outsized importance on a college campus, along with bigtime fame, that gets ignored by nfl draft guys.  The 32nd pick in the draft gets like 3.2 million?  Could a captain of the defense that's really personable at MLB beat that number? I think it's possible, under the right circumstances.

Back to the basket center- nobody likes these guys in the NBA.  They can still be real important in college. I would think a Chris Mihm type (but maybe better) could be the difference between a 1 seed and a 9 seed on some college teams- which should be worth 7 figures.  I feel like Chris Mihm wouldn't get drafted nowadays.  

Crafty baseball starter that is really good in college but doesn't have a big time fastball.  He might be worth $100k-$250k to the right program at the right time.  I'm talking about a guy you could give the ball to in game 1 of a super regional and feel real good about, but that MLB likes in round 10 or something at best.  Round 10 signing bonus is  around $145k. I could see a guy with a pro career being valued higher than that by the right college program. 

Yeah- I think you are correct that there are definitely scenarios where earning potential is greater in college than pros for some guys.  I don't know if this will ever play out that way, but I could see it.   

59 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah- so there are some positions where guys could probably make more money in college than pros and it might be better off for them to stay. I'm thinking specifically:

Running back (heisman type caliber)- I'd have to think that it could be worth 3-5 million- at least- for the right school to keep the right RB around at that price.  That would also be less treat off his tires than going to the NFL a year early- potentially.  If Addison was worth $3,000,000 to a UT team without legitimate title expectations then if Ewers is good and Bijan is coming off a 2,000 yard season where Texas finishes in the top 5 and there's a ton of program momentum could he get 1 year for $5,000,000 plus which would be more than he'd make in the pros?  I feel like that's on the table.

Middle linebacker- another position that can have outsized importance on a college campus, along with bigtime fame, that gets ignored by nfl draft guys.  The 32nd pick in the draft gets like 3.2 million?  Could a captain of the defense that's really personable at MLB beat that number? I think it's possible, under the right circumstances.

Back to the basket center- nobody likes these guys in the NBA.  They can still be real important in college. I would think a Chris Mihm type (but maybe better) could be the difference between a 1 seed and a 9 seed on some college teams- which should be worth 7 figures.  I feel like Chris Mihm wouldn't get drafted nowadays.  

Crafty baseball starter that is really good in college but doesn't have a big time fastball.  He might be worth $100k-$250k to the right program at the right time.  I'm talking about a guy you could give the ball to in game 1 of a super regional and feel real good about, but that MLB likes in round 10 or something at best.  Round 10 signing bonus is  around $145k. I could see a guy with a pro career being valued higher than that by the right college program. 

Yeah- I think you are correct that there are definitely scenarios where earning potential is greater in college than pros for some guys.  I don't know if this will ever play out that way, but I could see it.   

Drew Timme is exactly who I thought of while I was reading your post. Oscar Tshiebwe is another one.

The counter balance to that is the real money is made on the second contract for productive players. So if you’re ambitious and confident (which you virtually have to be to be an elite athletic performer in the first place) you’re going to feel a sense of urgency to get to the pros for that reason. 

I say this often, but people tend to believe what they want to believe, and major decisions are made emotionally, then rationally defended afterwords. That’s why salesmanship is effective (or propaganda, for that matter). Whatever calculus is involved, a lot of the decision making will be determined by what “feels” right. I remember reading how Kobe Bryant had no interest in March Madness or playing in college. He always aspired to the pros. So he was going to look for the quickest path to the NBA regardless of NIL. Then you have players who love college and want to extend that experience. NIL gives them a justification to do so in a way that would not have existed previously. 

But I do think you have a point that some positions/styles/talents will be valued more in college than the pros, and there’s a good chance the market is going to reflect that. 

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Drew Timme is exactly who I thought of while I was reading your post. Oscar Tshiebwe is another one.

The counter balance to that is the real money is made on the second contract for productive players. So if you’re ambitious and confident (which you virtually have to be to be an elite athletic performer in the first place) you’re going to feel a sense of urgency to get to the pros for that reason. 

I say this often, but people tend to believe what they want to believe, and major decisions are made emotionally, then rationally defended afterwords. That’s why salesmanship is effective (or propaganda, for that matter). Whatever calculus is involved, a lot of the decision making will be determined by what “feels” right. I remember reading how Kobe Bryant had no interest in March Madness or playing in college. He always aspired to the pros. So he was going to look for the quickest path to the NBA regardless of NIL. Then you have players who love college and want to extend that experience. NIL gives them a justification to do so in a way that would not have existed previously. 

But I do think you have a point that some positions/styles/talents will be valued more in college than the pros, and there’s a good chance the market is going to reflect that. 

Yep.  I'm a salesman.  It's what I do. I don't ever try to sell people though. I will give them options, and alternatives, and if someone else has a better deal going on I will tell them about that too- I'm successful b/c I can talk to you, figure out what you want, and frame something that gets you what you want better than someone else can do it, more often than not.  

This NIL era is ripe for this kind of salesmanship.  You should absolutely be able to sit down with Drew Timme (or maybe Bijan Robinson if the stars line up) and make a credible argument for why they can make more money and better their life by staying in college for one more year, and that argument should absolutely only be made if it's the God's honest truth.  

Lets say Bijan would be looking at going as the first overall RB next year.  In 2021 that was pick 24. In 2022 that was pick 36. Split the difference and say that puts him at the ass end of the first round for $3.5 million.  Arguments Pro/Con vs leaving for the NFL

Pro-

1) Quicker to your 2nd contract

2) Guaranteed money for 4 years rather than only 1

3) Salary is 3.5 million or so a year if my calculations are correct

Cons

1) You could make more money staying in College in the right situation (this would have to be proven- but I would think if Addison is worth 3 Bijan could be worth 5)

2) Legacy at college if you become an all timer (come back- stay 4 years- win a Heisman etc) means that you have a job for life associated with UT.  How much money did Ricky make associated with UT as his brand driver vs NFL. Same with Vince.  It's an annuity that you can cash in on for the rest of your life

3) Less wear and tear on your body being big man on campus vs playing against nothing but grown men.

4) You are just much less famous in the NFL as a rookie running back than you are if you have the full spotlight at a place like UT and are in the conversation for Awards and playoff scenarios. 

Looked at this way- if Bijan and the team were set up to have a special 2023 you could easily argue that he should insure himself and come back (if he likes being here of course) and he will make more money during that year, and he will make more money for life than if he leaves as a 3 and done guy.  People really underestimate the brand power that comes with being the guy for a blueblood in College football or what being the star of the right basketball team in March madness can do for you.  It's a really really big deal.  and that goodwill for the rest of your life if you become a legend?  that's pretty valuable with how short your earning career is in the NFL.  That doesn't mean Bijan would be stupid to go or anything like that- just it means that you can no bullshit put together a package for him to come back that is extremely attractive, and you should look at that. 
Now- if you are talking about an edge rusher, QB, WR or Left tackle or lock down CB?  Nah, college can't come close on the pay scale to that vs the NFL. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yep.  I'm a salesman.  It's what I do. I don't ever try to sell people though. I will give them options, and alternatives, and if someone else has a better deal going on I will tell them about that too- I'm successful b/c I can talk to you, figure out what you want, and frame something that gets you what you want better than someone else can do it, more often than not.  

This NIL era is ripe for this kind of salesmanship.  You should absolutely be able to sit down with Drew Timme (or maybe Bijan Robinson if the stars line up) and make a credible argument for why they can make more money and better their life by staying in college for one more year, and that argument should absolutely only be made if it's the God's honest truth.  

Lets say Bijan would be looking at going as the first overall RB next year.  In 2021 that was pick 24. In 2022 that was pick 36. Split the difference and say that puts him at the ass end of the first round for $3.5 million.  Arguments Pro/Con vs leaving for the NFL

Pro-

1) Quicker to your 2nd contract

2) Guaranteed money for 4 years rather than only 1

3) Salary is 3.5 million or so a year if my calculations are correct

Cons

1) You could make more money staying in College in the right situation (this would have to be proven- but I would think if Addison is worth 3 Bijan could be worth 5)

2) Legacy at college if you become an all timer (come back- stay 4 years- win a Heisman etc) means that you have a job for life associated with UT.  How much money did Ricky make associated with UT as his brand driver vs NFL. Same with Vince.  It's an annuity that you can cash in on for the rest of your life

3) Less wear and tear on your body being big man on campus vs playing against nothing but grown men.

4) You are just much less famous in the NFL as a rookie running back than you are if you have the full spotlight at a place like UT and are in the conversation for Awards and playoff scenarios. 

Looked at this way- if Bijan and the team were set up to have a special 2023 you could easily argue that he should insure himself and come back (if he likes being here of course) and he will make more money during that year, and he will make more money for life than if he leaves as a 3 and done guy.  People really underestimate the brand power that comes with being the guy for a blueblood in College football or what being the star of the right basketball team in March madness can do for you.  It's a really really big deal.  and that goodwill for the rest of your life if you become a legend?  that's pretty valuable with how short your earning career is in the NFL.  That doesn't mean Bijan would be stupid to go or anything like that- just it means that you can no bullshit put together a package for him to come back that is extremely attractive, and you should look at that. 
Now- if you are talking about an edge rusher, QB, WR or Left tackle or lock down CB?  Nah, college can't come close on the pay scale to that vs the NFL. 

I always think about Billy Sims panhandling at the Cotton Bowl as a comparison to how Texas athletes do. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I always think about Billy Sims panhandling at the Cotton Bowl as a comparison to how Texas athletes do. 

Yep.  Texas forever is a thing. You have to actively fuck it up once you are a made man.  To be fair to OU, my understanding is that Billy Sims worked really hard to fuck it up.  

I'm a nobody in the grand scheme of things. If VInce had his head straight I'm pretty sure we could make 7 figures together without a hell of a lot of work in the real estate industry with just a little bit of effort at being Vince. I think that's what his real estate company was about- guess that didn't become a thing.  The brand opportunities if you don't piss it away are just totally and completely incomprehensible for being a lifetime legend at a place like UT. 

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

I was thinking of Zach Edey of Purdue.  Mark Eaton 2.0 might be better compensated via NIL.  Then go slam some hot Euro ass for a few years.

On 6/16/2022 at 3:07 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

Yep.  Texas forever is a thing. You have to actively fuck it up once you are a made man.  To be fair to OU, my understanding is that Billy Sims worked really hard to fuck it up.  

I'm a nobody in the grand scheme of things. If VInce had his head straight I'm pretty sure we could make 7 figures together without a hell of a lot of work in the real estate industry with just a little bit of effort at being Vince. I think that's what his real estate company was about- guess that didn't become a thing.  The brand opportunities if you don't piss it away are just totally and completely incomprehensible for being a lifetime legend at a place like UT. 

The 1st time i ever saw Billy Simms. He came to my junior high to speak after winning the Heisman. 

The 2nd time he was washing out a refrigerator at a rent to own place owned by the guy who has his Heisman trophy. 

Billy Napier pens open letter to Florida fans

The new Florida coach praised his fans' passion while gently reminding them of their responsibility to fund the program's NIL and facilities efforts.

ZACH BARNETT       JUN 24, 2022

There's no time in a coach's tenure like the honeymoon period. It's shorter than it used to be sure -- what, with the big money contracts and the expectations that go along with them. There's more to be done in the honeymoon period, too, with new rules that allow freshly-hired coaches more latitude to overhaul their rosters. There's the Portal, which runs both ways for new coaches -- getting the right players out of it, and keeping your current players from joining it. Lest we not forget traditional recruiting, too. That new car smell only lasts so long, so new head coaches hit the trail hard with nothing but sunshine and open depth charts ahead of them. And then there's NIL. 

If you're going to ask your fan base for money, the honeymoon period is the time to do it. Your fans haven't seen you coach a game yet, which means they haven't seen you lose a game yet.

On Friday, new Florida coach penned an open letter to the Gator Nation, where he gingerly passed the offering plate and asked his fans to ante up. Let's see how he did it. 

Gator Nation,

We want to take this opportunity to thank you for the tremendous amount of support you have shown our entire organization, team and our families since our arrival in Gainesville.

We recently had the opportunity to visit various cities across Gator Nation during my first spring speaking tour, and all we can say is that each day we are more and more excited to be part of the University of Florida.

Our fans’ passion is evident and unmatched.

We play in one of the most iconic places in college football: The Swamp. This year’s Orange and Blue Game gave us a small taste of what playing in front of Gator Nation is like, and we can’t wait to get started this fall by hosting Pac-12 champion Utah on Sept. 3 under the lights.

We are working on creating a new future through a journey that emphasizes discipline, toughness, detail, accountability, integrity, and most importantly, teamwork.

Our mission is to make a life-changing impact on our players and for them to experience success in life as a result of their time in our program. We want to promote their education and encourage them to not only get a degree, but to be engaged, network and develop relationships. 

Okay, so far, so good. But this is pretty standard stuff. Why is he telling us this? And why now? 

As we enter a new era of college football with Name, Image and Likeness, we are fortunate to be at a place that is not only rich in history and tradition on the football field, but is also a top 5 public institution with more than 470,000 living alumni and incredible resources. We believe that NIL will be a strength at the University of Florida.

We also believe in the professional development of our athletes. For that reason, we established the GatorMade program, a holistic player-focused and purpose-driven initiative that seeks to develop Gators beyond the football field by providing them with the necessary skills to succeed in life.

GatorMade provides opportunities in financial literacy, micro-internships, networking, mentorship, agent education, NIL, business weekend trips and even service abroad. We want to have a place where we work toward having a life-changing impact as a person, as a student and as a player. And GatorMade provides the building blocks. 

Ah, now I see. In addition to the crowd-funded Gator Made, Florida also has Gator Guard, a Florida-focused hedge fund run by an "exclusive, very influential group of high-net-worth Gators" whose clients are 4- and 5-star football players. 

We are also getting ready to move into the new James W. “Bill” Heavener Football Training Center this summer. The state-of-the-art 140,000 square foot standalone facility will be a game-changer as it relates to our day-to-day football operations, sports medicine and rehabilitation, recruiting, dining and recreation to name a few. The $85 million facility will not only make an impact within our program, but it will also benefit all Gators student-athletes. 

Don't think that fans' and boosters' new responsibilities to fill the NIL bucket each year absolves them of the burden of also keeping up in the facilities arms race, too.

On the football field, our goal is to play a brand of football that creates a great sense of pride among not only our players and staff, but throughout all of Gator Nation.

One thing we have learned in the past six months is that Gators are resilient and passionate. In all kinds of weather.

I can assure you that no one has higher expectations for what we want to accomplish than me.

This will be a team effort. All of us, no matter what our role is, can make a positive impact in the success of our program. From our students cheering their loudest on Saturdays at The Swamp, to our boosters, alumni and everyday fans: We all must have a championship approach in all that we do.

You are part of this team, and we can’t wait to see you at The Swamp this fall as we embark on the journey to our new future.

Go Gators!

And that, friends, is the fundraising sandwich. You open with some sweet words about how great the fans are, you deftly pass out the offering plate, and then you close with more sweet words about just how special the fans are. 

Go Gators!

https://footballscoop.com/news/billy-napier-pens-open-letter-florida-fans

Edited by LTtxfan

It would be so fucking easy too.  Just have "Vince Young Realty" on the door, and sign a few top agents.  When somebody signs a listing, Vince calls them personally to thank them for the business, and bullshits for 5 minutes or so.  Sends them an autographed jersey or football or something.  When a buyer closes, Vince drops by to hand them the keys and a fruit basket, bullshits for 5 minutes, poses for a few pics, and leaves.  

On 6/16/2022 at 1:07 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 6/26/2022 at 9:23 AM, Gil Bang said:

It would be so fucking easy too.  Just have "Vince Young Realty" on the door, and sign a few top agents.  When somebody signs a listing, Vince calls them personally to thank them for the business, and bullshits for 5 minutes or so.  Sends them an autographed jersey or football or something.  When a buyer closes, Vince drops by to hand them the keys and a fruit basket, bullshits for 5 minutes, poses for a few pics, and leaves.  

Yeah.  I mean, he doesn't even really have to try to do client acquisition.  He could go on a couple podcasts UT related, a couple radio shows in Houston and Austin (maybe Dallas, but probably not even needed) and let everyone know what he's doing.  A little twitter. A little you tube (with someone else doing that for him) and show up to an office occasionally. 

He could do Mortgage similarly easily.  Hey, call me on my phone.  Here's the number.  Ask them what they are trying to do- tell em- no problem man, lets get that application out- fill out the link and my guy Bob will make sure you are good to go.  Glory days, blah blah blah.  20 minutes later and it's gone forever and he's 10k richer for the phone call. 

It's a million a year annuity, easy, for him with like 500 hours of "work" a year, and that "work" is just Vince being Vince and having a couple phone calls on the front end of the deal and maybe a phone call from the back end- and some people managing his facebook and twitter and instagram.  He would need his head on straight, and put in a little effort, but not much more than that.   

That's my business that I know- if he had no interest in that I'm sure there are people in the car business that would love to make things happen for him.   Or insurance sales- I would think they'd be coming out of the woodwork to have a policy with him.  Sports camps.  Golf circuit.  Charitable fundraiser type stuff.  I mean, all anyone like that has to do is literally not be a mess in their personal life and monetize the goodwill for life.  You are playing yourself for the adoring public.  Just smile and shake hands and kiss babies. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/16/2022 at 9:43 AM, UTEE97 said:

It doesn't matter. I was just speculating on why a player may not want an NIL deal to extend beyond their time on campus. You guys carry on.

Just want to clarify one thing for the thread - 

Per the Texas state law, NIL contracts can't extend beyond their time on campus. Spoilered the relevant text

Spoiler

"A student athlete participating in an intercollegiate athletic program at an institution to which this section applies:

2. may not enter into a contract for the use of the student athlete’s name, image, or likeness if:

(C) the duration of the contract extends beyond the student athlete’s participation in the intercollegiate athletic program;"

https://spry.so/nil-state-guide/texas-nil-law-for-ncaa/

So any legit NIL contract will have a clause that stipulates that the contract ends if/when the player exits the athletic program. So when guys transfer or go pro, their deals will automatically end. Duration isn't a factor for some of the thoughts in this thread like repping Austin companies and transferring or needing to renegotiate terms once they're in the NFL. 

Cincinnati Bengals RB Trayveon Williams to co-teach class on NIL, athlete advocacy at Texas A&M's law school

Ben Baby    ESPN Staff Writer

CINCINNATI -- Cincinnati Bengals running back Trayveon Williams is headed back to school.

This time, he'll be teaching.

Williams will serve as an adjunct professor at Texas A&M's law school and will co-teach a class on NIL, college athletics and athlete advocacy alongside sports attorney and business consultant Alex Sinatra. Williams, who played at Texas A&M from 2016 to 2018, made the announcement during an appearance on Sinatra's "Your Potential for Everything" podcast that was published this month.

Williams said he was excited about the opportunity to give back and provide information to current college athletes and attorneys seeking to understand the space.

"Having someone who has been in that system, who can relate, and who can bring a certain stamp of actual, real-life engagement in that world, I feel like can be beneficial," Williams said on the podcast.

Sinatra, who also attended Texas A&M, said the class stemmed from a Twitter joke. But after it gained traction, she reached out to Williams, who was enthusiastic about the opportunity at his alma mater.

Williams was a three-year starter for the Aggies and finished his collegiate career as one of the school's most prolific rushers. He ran for 3,615 yards, the third-highest total in A&M history. His 1,760 rushing yards in 2018 set the school record for the most in a single season and earned him first-team all-SEC honors.

The Bengals drafted him in the sixth round of the 2019 draft. The reserve running back appeared in five games last season and was inactive for three of the team's four postseason games in 2021.

According to the team's media guide, Williams majored in recreation, parks, tourism and science, and minored in business.

In his conversation with Sinatra, Williams stressed the ability for current athletes to navigate the changing landscape in college athletics since the introduction of NIL legislation.

"There has to be someone that represents them," Williams said. "There has to be someone who understands the ins and outs when it comes to constructing contracts and doing all the little, minute details in the middle of it."

Sinatra said she and Williams are still building the course curriculum. It is scheduled to debut during the spring of 2023.

"I'll be a full-time Bengal during the season, I promise," Williams said. "However, after the season's over, I'm putting my professor hat on and getting to work."

On 6/29/2022 at 11:45 AM, RGBIII said:

My dad still used an aol.com email till he passed. Refused to ever change, regardless of how many dial up jokes I made

I got an AOL email address before my divorce last year. Figured it was low key enough not to attract too much attention. 

On 6/29/2022 at 12:19 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

Read an article that they still have 1 million plus subs because people have never or forgot to cancel. 

from last yea5

Amid the hodgepodge of Verizon Media assets that Apollo Global Management is buying from Verizon — Yahoo Finance, TechCrunch, advertising technology, Yahoo Fantasy — there’s one cash flow stream that will not die: AOL.

The famed internet company that once bought Time Warner for $182 billion and used to make billions of dollars annually selling dial-up modem access, still has a monthly subscription service called AOL Advantage.

In 2015, 2.1 million people were still using AOL’s dial-up service. That revenue stream has dried up. The number of dial-up users is now “in the low thousands,” according to a person familiar with the matter.

But AOL still has a fairly lucrative base of customers who pay for technical support and identity theft services each month. There are about 1.5 million monthly customers paying $9.99 or $14.99 per month for AOL Advantage, said another person, who asked not to be named because the information is private. If average revenue per user is $10 per month, conservatively, that’s $180 million of annual revenue

12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

They want to win a national championship in at least one sport every four years with each sport notching at least one national top-16 finish every four years.

Man, with both Mississippi schools notching national titles recently, you'd hope the flagship of a big, wealthy state, with no Berkeley-style academic restrictions (though even Cal took home men's swimming & diving and men's water polo this year), could handle that pretty easily.

On 6/29/2022 at 11:45 AM, RGBIII said:

My dad still used an aol.com email till he passed. Refused to ever change, regardless of how many dial up jokes I made

That’s fascinating. Please send me some more information about it to: dbeasy@compuserve.com. 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

That’s fascinating. Please send me some more information about it to: dbeasy@compuserve.com. 

viper@prodigy.net

Have you thought about starting a newsletter that we could subscribe to?

• Hook 'Em 1