Things not going well for Applebees

Parliament

Had taken a vacation day on New Years a few years back and we ended up losing power at the house(pre Generator) and ended up at a nearby Abees.  They were great in letting us hangout to watch ballgames while ordering every so often.   I think they do a solid job on burgers, I know, right.  Some of the mom and pop places near us are only open for breakfast and lunch, so we’ll hit up AB every Blue moon. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Oh

You just reminded me of the last time I ate Chili's and why I haven't been since. Ate at the one in Kingsville on the way to South Padre. They had the calorie counts for all the meals and I was just floored. Everything started at 1,200+ calories, except for the grilled chicken with veggies.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

The last time I was there, I noticed that they had taken beef fajitas off the menu in favor of chicken, only (which is a felony food crime, imo).  It was still pretty high cal, and it was basically grilled chicken with a half-hearted attempt at spices, and tortillas.

everyone went to applebee's the first time they went to denton because applebee's would give you the liquor club card for free. 

think the last chili's i ate at was in the atlanta airport.  skillet queso and some beers and then the last one on the WN flight out. 

Edited by elfenix

oh if we're talking airport Chili's...then sign me up.  Have done so much damage at the Lambert Field location.  Surprised they don't have a stool named after my stools.  But drank all the fucking beer there.  God bless you Lindberg, you anti-semite bastard.

Welp, looks like it definitely was a real email. Applebee's Lawrence, KS location was closed for most of yesterday after several managers quit in protest.

https://www2.ljworld.com/news/general-news/2022/mar/23/an-email-urging-lower-wages-for-new-employees-due-to-higher-gas-prices-sparks-walkout-at-lawrence-applebees/

Ol' Wayne probably getting shitcanned after the franchisee had to do a bunch of clean up yesterday. 

“It is embarrassing. It really is,” said Scott Fischer, director of communications for Apple Central, which is based in Kansas City and has 47 Applebee’s restaurants in the Midwest. Fischer said the idea hasn’t been discussed as a potential idea among the company’s top management either, in part, because it doesn’t make much sense.

Pankratz, however, is still employed with Apple Central, although that could change as the company finds out more information, Fischer said.

“We are doing an investigation, as we always do,” Fischer said. “We are very fair in understanding that people make mistakes. But I can’t comment until we better understand why he wrote it.”

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2022 at 1:35 PM, Helobious said:

The reason you think Applebees sucks is because people tell you to think that it sucks. It’s great food. Same with Chili’s, Longhorn Steakhouse, and the like. It’s no accident that they have locations everywhere. 

Applebees is fucking garbage.

• Hook 'Em 3

lol things wasn't going good fit applebees back in the day when me and my friends tole or waitress we spit in the Catshup and that stupid Bitch took it and every other ketchup in the place and threw it all out. First of all, I was using it, second off all, we didn't spit in all of them and third is we didn't really spit in it in the first place on account of that  she did not bring us refills

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Also, I have no problem with Applebees' or Fridays or Chilis. I just then you can usually find something better for the same price. But if we're traveling, I'll stop at these places just so I know what I'm going to get.

yeah your gonna get diarriha

Edited by CHAD BRISCOE
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, CHAD BRISCOE said:

lol things wasn't going good fit applebees back in the day when me and my friends tole or waitress we spit in the Catshup and that stupid Bitch took it and every other ketchup in the place and threw it all out. First of all, I was using it, second off all, we didn't spit in all of them and third is we didn't really spit in it in the first place on account of that  she did not bring us refills

Sounds like you were a teenage asshole.

Edited by nnm

In many towns, Applebees is the only sit-down place open after 9 or 10. If you’re traveling and hungry late, it’s between Applebees and late night fast food. Marginally better than McDonalds is a viable business model.

• Like 1

Got no issue with Applebee's whilst traveling.  I'm more of a "try the local flavor" guy, but yeah---on more than a dozen occasions, the only thing within walking distance from your hotel is an Applebee's and at least the beer is cold.  What I've never understood is how they get such a loyal following from locals.  It's marketed as this affordable, family-friendly eatery and it is neither.  Just like Golden Corral and Chili's, it's this ruse put over on working American families that should know better.  I don't know how they get away with it, but then...I guess that's the point. 

On 3/23/2022 at 1:35 PM, Helobious said:

The reason you think Applebees sucks is because people tell you to think that it sucks. It’s great food. Same with Chili’s, Longhorn Steakhouse, and the like. It’s no accident that they have locations everywhere. 

Applebee's food is good, and by good I mean sit at the bar and get drunk before ordering or before it arrives. 

• Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Got no issue with Applebee's whilst traveling.  I'm more of a "try the local flavor" guy, but yeah---on more than a dozen occasions, the only thing within walking distance from your hotel is an Applebee's and at least the beer is cold.  What I've never understood is how they get such a loyal following from locals.  It's marketed as this affordable, family-friendly eatery and it is neither.  Just like Golden Corral and Chili's, it's this ruse put over on working American families that should know better.  I don't know how they get away with it, but then...I guess that's the point. 

I haven't been to any of these in a while, but how is it neither of these?  Are you talking about just food prices in general going up making these places not worth it any more?  In my opinion Golden Corral has never been affordable.  You can definitely find better food for the same price.  All you can eat buffets are only affordable if you plan on eating 10lbs of food.  Otherwise if you just want normal portions, you are wasting your money.

Fun Fact, Almost everything at Applebees is a fancy microwave dinner. This comes from a girl I know who used to work at Applebees corporate. 

The same restaurant group that owns Applebees also owns IHOP and she did quality control. She would have to fly to random area's of the country, walk into an IHOP and order a meal then take pictures of the pancakes/etc with a measuring tape to show how big the pancake was/how many chocolate chips were in it etc. Then with the waitress not looking she would bag up all the food, label the restaurant and time then ship it back to HQ for it to be analyzed. 

She would go to 5-6 IHOPs a day and then ship everything back in coolers with dry ice. Interesting job. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Applebee's food is good, and by good I mean sit at the bar and get drunk before ordering or before it arrives. 

100%. And cheap and not crowded. If you're criticizing Applebees, than you have already missed the point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I agree. Many times on the road when I am at a Hampton inn there is a local Applebees across the street. The food is fine and the beer is cold.

On 4/7/2022 at 5:52 PM, Ted Dantzler said:

Fun Fact, Almost everything at Applebees is a fancy microwave dinner. This comes from a girl I know who used to work at Applebees corporate. 

The same restaurant group that owns Applebees also owns IHOP and she did quality control. She would have to fly to random area's of the country, walk into an IHOP and order a meal then take pictures of the pancakes/etc with a measuring tape to show how big the pancake was/how many chocolate chips were in it etc. Then with the waitress not looking she would bag up all the food, label the restaurant and time then ship it back to HQ for it to be analyzed. 

She would go to 5-6 IHOPs a day and then ship everything back in coolers with dry ice. Interesting job. 

Sweet gig.   Culinary Black Ops clandestine missions!

D1lw.gif

On 4/6/2022 at 5:52 PM, Jameslaw121 said:

Doesn't like, oh I don't know 90% of their customers also live paycheck to paycheck and won't be able to afford to eat there?

As long as theres a bunch of fatasses too lazy to cook their own dinner, places like Applebee's and Chili's will continue their existance.

I do like the burgers at Chili's though. Also the molten chocolate cake dessert is always good despite the instant beetus it gives you. So they have that.

Edited by Pam Cummings

I worked for a Coors distributor for years and I had no idea they ever put keystone in kegs.  We only carried 4 Keystone products---6 pack tallboys of regular and light and 12 pack/12oz cans of same 2.  There may have been a 24oz can for single beer tubs at Stop 'n Go.  I'm sure at some point they tried to sell it to bars but the whole,

"Bottled beer taste in a can; but now in a steel barrel to be served in glass, like a beer bottle would be made of."  

I would think Applebee's broccoli chicken alfredo and a few tepid, flat keystone drafts would be clear out your bowels enough to be ready for a colonoscopy.  

40 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I worked for a Coors distributor for years and I had no idea they ever put keystone in kegs. 

Where the heck did you go to college? Oxford?  Your regular Land Grant is pretty much powered by Keystone, Natty and such.  That includes kegs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Where the heck did you go to college? Oxford?  Your regular Land Grant is pretty much powered by Keystone, Natty and such.  That includes kegs.

Yeah, pretty sure Applebees, like every other hospitality establishment, stocks and sells what its clientele will purchase. The Applebees crowd is not exactly the craft brew crowd. 

21 hours ago, Parliament said:

No, I didn't go to Oxford.  I am aware that college towns serve cheap draft beer.  I more than drank my fair share.  My point was I was not aware of that particular product being put into kegs.  I would have known since I worked there for a few years (summers of 1991-1997).  Keystone kegs musta come out right after I left.  My cheap draft beer of choice was Busch Light.  I can still feel it in my veins.