2022 Masters - The Return of Tiger

Jive Turkey

On 3/23/2022 at 11:41 AM, ConferenceRoom said:

Does that mean invited or the player has accepted?

Means he's invited and hasn't told them he's not coming,  yet. I think the masters has one of the latest W/D dates of any tourney.... want to say it's week of but not positive. 

• Like 1

There is 0.0% chance Tiger's first competitive tournament back is the Masters. He has always said that he won't enter a tournament until he thinks he's tournament ready and can compete to win. Anything short of that and he's not playing. There isn't a human being on Earth that can be "tournament ready" with the Masters being their first tournament back from a significant injury.

He'd only play the Masters this year in some ceremonial capacity a la Nicklaus/Player but I don't think that's in his character, at least not yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

I for one can't wait for Rory about to tee off and then...

*sound of glass breaking followed by heavy rock*

"Oh my god!," says Jim Nantz in a whisper. "That's Tiger Woods' music!"

Augusta National is one of the most, if not the most, difficult walks in professional golf.  No way he tests his leg out there with no tournament conditioning, both mental and physical.  Best case scenario is maybe he plays Memorial and makes a judgement on the US Open.  Perhaps the Memorial, the Scottish, and The Open.  150th Open at St. Andrews - flat, easy walking course.

Honestly. Hilton Head and/or Colonial would be great courses to test things out (relatively flat, distance not at a premium).

If he doesn't play The Open, then he may shut it down until The Hero or the Father/Son again.  Just my uninformed $0.02.

12 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Augusta National is one of the most, if not the most, difficult walks in professional golf.  No way he tests his leg out there with no tournament conditioning, both mental and physical.  Best case scenario is maybe he plays Memorial and makes a judgement on the US Open.  Perhaps the Memorial, the Scottish, and The Open.  150th Open at St. Andrews - flat, easy walking course.

Honestly. Hilton Head and/or Colonial would be great courses to test things out (relatively flat, distance not at a premium).

If he doesn't play The Open, then he may shut it down until The Hero or the Father/Son again.  Just my uninformed $0.02.

the drop on #10 was eye opening 

Augusta National is one of the most, if not the most, difficult walks in professional golf.  No way he tests his leg out there with no tournament conditioning, both mental and physical. 

Maybe he has enough money to hire a trainer for conditioning? As far as mental, he is the trainer.

On 3/25/2022 at 7:41 AM, dieucla98 said:

There is 0.0% chance Tiger's first competitive tournament back is the Masters. He has always said that he won't enter a tournament until he thinks he's tournament ready and can compete to win. Anything short of that and he's not playing. There isn't a human being on Earth that can be "tournament ready" with the Masters being their first tournament back from a significant injury.

He'd only play the Masters this year in some ceremonial capacity a la Nicklaus/Player but I don't think that's in his character, at least not yet.

Upgrading to 0.1% chance.

5 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

Upgrading to 0.1% chance.

I'll take 1000-1 odds. He knows that if he can limp around the course for two days before he misses the cut, the media attention for Woods and his brand will be massive. Augusta National and CBS sure arent going to complain. 

15 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I'll take 1000-1 odds. He knows that if he can limp around the course for two days before he misses the cut, the media attention for Woods and his brand will be massive. Augusta National and CBS sure arent going to complain. 

ESPN*

But yeah - seems like he's gonna at least try and play. Worst case maybe he withdraws after R1.

On 3/24/2022 at 7:55 PM, pops said:

Means he's invited and hasn't told them he's not coming,  yet. I think the masters has one of the latest W/D dates of any tourney.... want to say it's week of but not positive. 

Players can withdraw from tournaments whenever. Tiger could withdraw Wednesday night before Round 1 and an alternate will take his place. Same as any other PGA event. Tiger is in the field for the Masters until he decides he isn't.

The deadline you're thinking of is when players have to commit to playing in an event. They have to do it by a certain period of time before the the tournament begins. I'm not sure exactly when that is.

31 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

No alternates at the Masters

Yep, only 91 in the field (unless the winner in San Antonio is not already in the guess)

Smallest field in a major, also the weakest field, insults inches 6 amateurs, and 16 prior champions 4 who play the senior tour and Sandy Lyle and Larry Mize (will they break 80?).

So call it a competitive field of 75

Edited by Wally Fairway

3 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Yep, only 91 in the field (unless the winner in San Antonio is not already in the guess)   Smallest field in a major, also the weakest field, insults inches 6 amateurs, and 16 prior champions 4 who play the senior tour and Sandy Lyle and Larry Mize (will they break 80?).

So call it a competitive field of 75

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, heso said:

Any of yinz going down? I’m currently trying to bourbon myself to sleep so I can wake up tomorrow and drive south to Georgia. 

Wondering about the Champions Dinner... Have to have some sushi right ?? 😋 

"The host of the 2022 Masters Tournament Champions Dinner will be the Japanese golfer Hideki Matsuyama, after his triumph in the last edition of the tournament."

Captura-de-pantalla-2022-03-30-a-las-12.

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

If it’s a game time decision I don’t think there’s any way he plays. The last thing he wants to do is struggle and limp around that place. 

Him showing up at all is a positive sign. He played there last week with Charlie. If he wasn’t encouraged, he wouldn’t be there. I think he plays.