Mock my music taste and share yours for mockery

SilasCoade

1 hour ago, Llogg said:

This thread reminded me how long it's been since I listened to Wilco. Got YHF on right now and it's basically a perfect album.

sorry for turning this thread into a Wilco thread but yeah basically trying to think of my music taste I had a thought like "eh Wilco isn't like my favorite band, but obviously they're the Beatles of alt country and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is one of the 5 best albums of this century"

Also from that metric but more from a "this is actually someone i think of when I think of what is my music taste" is Sufjan Stevens. Illinois is also in that top 5 of the 21st century and while i've listened to it about 5000 too many times, Chicago is a pretty perfect song

22 hours ago, yoladu said:

trust me, I relish the opportunity to mock one's musical taste, but I got nothing.

Your taste is on point.

I think if I were going to criticize my taste it would be that I'm a white dude listening mostly to white dudes sing about white dude shit. I guess I'm fine with that, but it's a thing.

• Haha 1

There are dozens of artists I love, but nobody resonates with me like Paul Westerberg.  His ability to write snotty garage rock is only eclipsed by his ability to craft extraordinary poignant vignettes.  He has a way with words and melody that nobody has really mastered.  I'm not saying he's the greatest songwriter ever (although to me he's damn close, and certainly my favorite), but rather he has a wholly unique sound and style that nobody apes very well, and when anyone tries, it's painfully obvious (I'm talking to you, Johnny Goo Goo).

Here are 3 of my favorite Westerberg ballads.  The twist at the end of Skyway only really revealed itself to me after years of just loving the sound of the song.  Nobody writes about unlucky neo-losers like Paul.  If you've never been to downtown Minneapolis, he paints it here.

The second features the nugget "everybody wants to be someone's here".  Fuck me, what a line.  One little "apostrophe S" and it says something completely different than the way most hack songwriters (ahem) would craft that lyric:

To complete the trifecta of amazing, aching, lonely ballads;  Christ, I'd give my left nut to write like this.  Or my right nut.  Not both, then I'd have to sing soprano.

• Hook 'Em 3

First tour I ever did when I was 23, I was reading “Our Band Could Be Your Life” and had just finished the Replacements chapter when we spent a day in Baltimore. Some cool record store near the water had a used copy of Let It Be and that was in the changer for the rest of the trip, and immediately became an all time favorite album and band.

• Hook 'Em 1

Started out listening to Stones, Jimi, Doors, Jefferson Airplane etc. (influence from hippie father)

Then moved on to Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Metalllica, Slayer etc (high school early 80s)

Then on to Circle Jerks, Dead Kennedy's, Black Flagg, etc along with stuff like Jane's Addiction and The Pixies, plus some rap and hip hop- Beastie Boys, J5, Digible Planets, Roots, etc (college undergrad into grad school)

Then on to Reggae and Dub (Post college)

Now its a mix of lots of all the above with a lot of Willie, Cash, Petty, etc. thrown in.

Just today my over 55 yr old ass was listening to Ill Communication in the car.

I fuckin' love "Skyway".  I was in my 20's before I realized that skyways (connecting entire business districts) didn't exist outside of the upper Midwest.

It's such a pretty little tune that takes a weird specific reference and tells an aching story in so few words, and said story just happens to be an allegory for the band.

I'm sure it's a subconscious thing, but I hear a lot of "Skyway" in Jason Isbell's "Relatively Easy".

Edited by Al_4_ISU

On 3/26/2022 at 12:47 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I love that album.  I love all their albums.  Even "All Shook Down", ha.

Yeah, I'd go so far as to say I strongly prefer all the shiny later albums to the punk phase at the start of their career.  Hootenanny is when they really come into their own, IMO.

Like most my age, started out with classic rock. Owned every Led Zeppelin album by the time I was 14 and most Black Sabbath by 17. First tape was Night Ranger Midnight Madness. First CD was Living Colour Vivid. Bought Metallica Master of Puppets when I was 10. Got into the Seattle bands like everyone else, then into Rollins Band, Fugazi which got me into Black Flag and Minor Threat by the end of high school.

I listen to all kinds of stuff, but mostly heavier stuff. I worked as an audio engineer for years and was exposed to just about all genres and heard some great and some awful music.

These days I listen to a lot of what I have always listened to. I don’t do Spotify, prefer to have exactly what I want on my phone. Something like 2,000 songs. Dig me some noise and sludge.

Lately a lot Kowloon Walled City, Cavity, Rickshaw Billie’s Burger Patrol, Ken Mode, Converge, Fistula.

• Hook 'Em 1

My musical tastes are entirely mockable.  

Grew up in the 80s on Zeppelin, the Beatles, Jethro Tull, Elton John, the Animals, The Moody Blues, etc. and 80s country/pop radio.

In the 90s I joined a CD club in my early teens and from that along with my older brothers’ influences got into “alternative”: RHCP, Pearl Jam, STP, Weezer, etc.  Then got into the lighter follow on alt stuff as I went thru HS: Counting Crows, Bush, etc.  All the while continuing to listen to local country/pop radio of the time.

In college in the late 90s and early aughts I became a pretty big Old 97s fan but otherwise continued listening to the stuff that was mainstream at the time: Jack Johnson, Dave Matthews, Radiohead, Toadies, etc.   The first “big” concert I ever went to was Semisonic at Liberty Lunch, and it was awesome.

After college my interest in music declined dramatically, and I listened to music a lot less, but when I did, I pretty much just listened to the same stuff I’d always listened to.  Occasionally I’d randomly hear something new that I liked (21 Pilots and Cage the Elephant come to mind).  20 years passed like that.  Then I had kids, and now the music I listen to is stuff that’s appropriate for them (6 and 3) or stuff they like.  Our “family song” is Roar by Katy Perry.  I am hopeful I can introduce them to a wider range of music and that attending shows can be a frequent family activity as they get older.  Although I would happily attend a Katy Perry or Bruno Mars show with my kiddos now.

All that is to say, listing the music I’ve listened to over the years can be somewhat embarrassing.  A lot of the late 90s alternative stuff I LOVED at the time is fucking awful.  But I can say that my tastes are varied, and that I can appreciate all genres (I’ve been enjoyed concerts from Nas to Dillinger Escape Plan to The Gourds).  I just never made finding new/unique/expansive/hidden music something I was going to put effort into.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Do I not understand the thread title? You guys are mentioning some artists that in no way should be mocked?

Now, my Yanni reference up thread, that you can mock the shit out of.

yanni's live at the acropolis album is an absolute showcase of incredibly talented virtuosos in their instruments...an incredible album and i'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

• Hook 'Em 1