Terry Reid

Go Pokes

Anyone familiar with this guy from the early 70’s. I’ve always considered myself a PhD in Classic Rock, but I’m thinking I may just hold a Masters degree. I’d never heard of this guy until a few months ago. And I stumbled upon him by accident. I think the song below was over the closing credits of something I watched. Apparently this guy was Page’s first choice to be lead singer of Zeppelin. Not sure if that’s true or not. Just wondering how this guy stayed off my radar for the past 43 years.

I’m gonna listened to him until it’s time to leave for trivia, so maybe 30 minutes of his catalog will answer that question. I think Dean is cool as shit, so it can’t be too bad.

Yeah -- Superlungs is what his nickname was.  There's a compilation album of his early stuff with that title, and my understanding is that it's really good, though I've only heard one or two tracks.

I'm a Cheap Trick fan, and they loved Terry Reid.  They covered a song of his ("Speak Now") on their debut album back in the 70's.  That's how I first became acquainted with Reid's work.  

As you said, Jimmy Page supposedly wanted Reid to be the lead vocalist for the New Yardbirds group he was putting together back in the late 60's -- y'know, that group that later became Led Zeppelin.  When Reid couldn't do it because of prior commitments to go out on the road supporting the Rolling Stones, he suggested that Page look up Robert Plant.  The rest, as they say, is history.

Edited by Carl Spackler

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2022 at 5:37 PM, Go Pokes said:

I think the song below was over the closing credits of something I watched.

His song To Be Treated Right was used in The Devil's Rejects. It was my introduction to him. Great song. Great movie.

Edited by Seasick Sailor