Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters) dead

UnivTex34

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

He's gonna need to talk to some musicians who have been through this.

Dave has already been through it once himself.  This time is going to be even harder on him because he was so much closer to Taylor than he was to Cobain.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Burt said:

Dave has already been through it once himself.  This time is going to be even harder on him because he was so much closer to Taylor than he was to Cobain.

yeah I know.  yes it will be way harder emotionally(his perspective at 54 is way different than 24 and no one could say they were out of nowhere "shocked" Cobain died) but he wasn't the leader of the band when that happened.  he doesn't owe anyone anything but I can assure you the pressure will be pretty heavy to continue.

Townshend has talked about it as it relates to touring.  there are a lot of people that depend on him/Daltry to be on the road.

for now and for likely a pretty long time, it won't matter, though.

yeah I know.  yes it will be way harder emotionally(his perspective at 54 is way different than 24 and no one could say they were out of nowhere "shocked" Cobain died) but he wasn't the leader of the band when that happened.  he doesn't owe anyone anything but I can assure you the pressure will be pretty heavy to continue.
Townshend has talked about it as it relates to touring.  there are a lot of people that depend on him/Daltry to be on the road.
for now and for likely a pretty long time, it won't matter, though.
Dave just lost his best friend.
I don’t think they get another drummer. I think it’s over.
He can't be replaced. He was the heart of the band.
  • Like 1

What a shock.

Not a super cool story, but one SXSW when I was still doing music things, probably 2007ish we were upstairs at probably a 101x party at Buffalo Billiards and I ended up standing in a circle with Hawkins for 15 minutes. I think I mostly didn’t say shit, but he remains one of the coolest motherfuckers I’ve ever been in that kind of proximity of.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

What brutal fucking news to wake up to. This one is up there in the “gonna feel this pain for a long time” musician deaths. I can’t imagine the devastation felt by everyone close to Taylor, and especially Dave. I got to see the Foo play nearly a dozen times, and the vast majority of those shows were after Taylor joined the band. It was always such a badass and fun rock show, with a big part of that being the goofy interplay between him and Dave. I think Taylor really rounded out Dave’s vision  of what he wanted Foo Fighters to be. I don’t see how they carry on with another drummer, and not sure if I want them to, at least not in this shitty moment. Rest in power, Taylor. You sweet, goofy, legend and monster musician. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't see Dave going back to the drums.  he has to sing all the songs and my guess is he won't ever be in rock band tour drummer shape again.  either Dave ends it a la Plant or it's a real long hiatus. Dave is gonna feel a lot of pressure to keep going because there are a lot of people that depend on the Foo for their careers.  He's gonna need to talk to some musicians who have been through this.
that's a discussion for another day.
I feel for his wife and kids.  just awful.

Dave Grohl IS a musician who’s been through this.

This absolutely sucks. Taylor Hawkins is the only guy who could pull off being Dave Grohl’s drummer
  • Like 1

Not even joking but I was going to say Nandi could be the replacement, but too bad she is like 11. If this was 6 or 7 years from now I could see that happening because she could do it. Who knows maybe they end it for now until she is older and they reunite.
  • Like 1

Such a perfect drummer for Dave.  I honestly believe he was the best drummer in rock.  Add in his goofy, gigawatt personality and his obvious (and reciprocated) affection for Dave, man, it's just a kick in the nuts.  I feel so bad for Dave and the Foos, and of course Taylor's family and friends.

Bright lights often burn hot and fast.  RIP, Taylor.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Saw them at FEC years ago and Dave had to take a vocal chord break so Taylor took over for a few songs while Dave did the drums. I was floored by Hawkins’ range and skill. Guy would have been a badass on his own but him and Dave were the perfect match. 

this sucks. Time to crank up Foo and educate my kids on some kickass music. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Dave Grohl IS a musician who’s been through this.

Yes, I know but he wasn't the leader of the band. Nirvana ended when Cobain died. This will be different and arguably way worse.  That is all I'm saying.

besides the Stones the Foo's are my favorite band that currently tours and Taylor seemed like a great dude.  this is a huge kick in the balls.

Dave is so driven, though.  He's always got something going on.  I imagine the guys in the band are financially set, but as others point out, there's an army behind the scenes that need their jobs.  I could see Dave just putting together a different project, maybe with his buds from QOTSA, etc., and pouring his energy into that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Dave is so driven, though.  He's always got something going on.  I imagine the guys in the band are financially set, but as others point out, there's an army behind the scenes that need their jobs.  I could see Dave just putting together a different project, maybe with his buds from QOTSA, etc., and pouring his energy into that.

dave is one of those people driven by pain.  it's how he knows he's alive.  cobain died in 94, dave's childhood best friend jimmy swanson died in 2008, and now taylor in 2022.  every 14 years.  he's spoken about how his personal tragedies have led to creation.  i think it'd be completely against his personality for him to stop creating now.  i don't know what the band will look like but i don't think dave's done.

• Like 1

Not even joking but I was going to say Nandi could be the replacement, but too bad she is like 11. If this was 6 or 7 years from now I could see that happening because she could do it. Who knows maybe they end it for now until she is older and they reunite.

I thought about this too. Maybe she can fill in for a couple one off shows.

• Like 1