Mitch McConnell

Hugo Stiglitz

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Is this Ana trying to say he's not a Russian douchebag?

Just trying to poke around and see what it is going to take to get some of the straight jacket wearers to defend Mitch McConnell. 

Edited by Anastasis

McConnell is a wretched piece of shit. And this from a guy who represents Kentucky, a state with a long history of cannabis cultivation. There was a time when it was one of their major cash crops. I recall politicians on both sides of the aisle campaigning for legal hemp.

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/3782514-marijuana-advocates-stunned-after-mcconnell-opposition-dooms-banking-bill/

Marijuana advocates stunned after McConnell opposition dooms banking bill

BY KARL EVERS-HILLSTROM - 12/21/22 6:00 AM ET

Marijuana advocates and executives are up in arms after opposition from Senate GOP Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.) resulted in Congress failing to pass a key cannabis banking bill, dealing a massive blow to the industry. 

The $1.7 trillion omnibus spending bill unveiled Tuesday includes all kinds of expenditures, but it does not include the SAFE Banking Act, a bipartisan measure that would undo federal restrictions that make it difficult for legal cannabis businesses to access financial services.  

“The fact that there was speech after speech and tweet after tweet about how cannabis policy was a priority and we know they were very certain that the votes are there, but it just was never brought to the floor, is of course disappointing,” said Kim Rivers, CEO of Florida-based Trulieve Cannabis Corp. 

The measure has a ton of political support.

It passed the House seven times — receiving a whopping 321 votes last year — and had enough GOP support to reach 60 votes in the Senate.  

But it did not have the support of McConnell, whose opposition kept it out of the spending bill.  

McConnell first blocked the SAFE Banking Act’s inclusion in the defense bill earlier this month, arguing that it would make the U.S. financial system “more sympathetic to illegal drugs.”

It now faces an even steeper climb to become law in the next Congress, with Republicans taking over the House. 

Currently only CBD for medicinal use is legal. Legal cannabis is favored by most voters in Kentucky. But Republican legislators at the state level (like Damon Thayer who owns a bourbon distillery) are blocking efforts at decriminalization, legalization, and even medical marijuana.

https://www.mpp.org/states/kentucky/

Last update: September 22, 2022

Senate leadership kills medical cannabis in 2022

On March 17, 2022, the Kentucky House of Representatives voted 59-34 to pass a medical cannabis bill, HB 136. This was the second time the full House ever voted on the issue, and the second time that it passed. For a short period of time, the future looked bright as the chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Sen. Whitney Westerfield, came out in support of the legislation. Possibly due to the senator’s support for the legislation, Senate leadership refused to assign the bill to a committee, effectively killing the bill for the year.

In January 2022, Senate Majority Floor Leader Damon Thayer, who owns a bourbon distillery, told Kentucky Educational Television that he does not support medical cannabis even though, “I know my constituents are for it,” and “if they don’t like it, they can take it out on me in the next election.” Sen. Thayer’s term ends in 2025. Gov. Andy Beshear recently stated that he may take executive action on medical cannabis and is studying his options, but he does not seem to have the legal authority to create a program.

This setback is a tremendous disappointment for patients, who have been working for many years to convince the legislature to pass medical cannabis. Although Rep. Jason Nemes, Sen. Stephen West, and other compassionate legislators have introduced medical cannabis legislation, none of the bills have advanced in the Senate.

If you live in Kentucky, please take time to write your state legislators in support of medical cannabis.

A February 2020 Kentucky Health Issues Poll found that 90% of Kentuckians support medical cannabis.

Decriminalization efforts stall in 2022 as well

In March 2022, MPP released a report highlighting the 19 states — including Kentucky — that have yet to decriminalize cannabis and the negative consequences of this inaction. Despite a majority of Kentuckians supporting full legalization, legislators were unsuccessful at even reducing criminal penalties to a civil fine. Under current law, a first offense for possession of up to eight ounces of cannabis carries a maximum penalty of 45 days’ imprisonment and up to a $250 fine.

In 2019, over 4,000 arrests for cannabis possession were made. Black Kentuckians were 9.4 times more likely to be arrested for cannabis possession than their white counterparts. Contact your lawmakers and ask them to make cannabis decriminalization a priority.

Legislators advocate for bills to end cannabis prohibition in Kentucky

In 2022, Rep. Rachel Roberts and Rep. Nima Kulkarni introduced legalization bills. Similar bills were sponsored in 2021 by Rep. Rachel Roberts, in 2020 by Sen. Cluster Howard, in 2018 and 2019 by Sen. Dan Seum (who retired in late 2019), and in 2017 by Sen. Perry Clark.

Although it may take some time for an adult-use legalization bill to pass in Kentucky, these legislators and others have started a conversation that will eventually lead to the end of cannabis prohibition.

I’ll simp for Mitch for his most recent comment on Ukraine, sure. It is awesome and cool to help Ukrainians kill Russian soldiers in Ukraine. It’s one of my preferred ways of my tax dollars getting spent. I like it so much I frequently send some of my own money straight to a fund that Ukraine uses to buy Western MIC stuff to shoot at Russian soldiers.

Good job Mitch, on this! 

• Hook 'Em 6

Yep, business is particularly good at the moment if you are in the global arms trade.  True bipartisanship and common ground is so hard to find these days.  When we do see it, we should certainly celebrate it.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/18/us/politics/defense-contractors-ukraine-russia.html

Military Spending Surges, Creating New Boom for Arms Makers

The combination of the war in Ukraine and concern about longer-term threats from Russia and China is driving a bipartisan push to increase U.S. capacity to produce weapons.

4 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Just trying to poke around and see what it is going to take to get some of the straight jacket wearers to defend Mitch McConnell. 

Is this a real post? Why should anyone defend Mitch McConnell ever? Any other awful human beings you’d like to white knight for?

Cool he said we should stick up for Ukraine. Congrats on reaching the minimums.

• Hook 'Em 1

Mitch is never two-faced in his appeal to get the support of the American people while carrying out another agenda. To wit:

Minority Leader McConnell Says President Trump "Practically and Morally Responsible" for January 6 Attack on Capitol

In remarks following the 57-43 vote to acquit former President Trump, Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) calls his actions on January 6 "disgraceful" and says that he is "practically and morally responsible" for what transpired that day.

Then he protects the villain. Not a big deal, I guess. Just the whole fucking republic on the line.

If John Gotti gave a $10MM to help the homeless, he'd still be a murdering criminal. McConnell supporting Ukraine hoping to protect the reputation of the GЯP criminal organization is similar to my thinking. They take money from the Russians. Their nominated and elected party candidate was in bed with the Russians. The NRA funneled them funds.

No. This doesn't move the needle. This is the facade of politics to mask the planned overthrow.

He is one of the many likely deserving of public execution.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Is this the new projection?  That everyone who posts here is crazy?

MM: Sending arms to Ukraine is THE most important priority and challenge facing our country right now.

A: Wonder how this is going to shake with the CR lunatics. 

CR: Fuck yeah Mitch! This is THE priority and the best use of our resources (and our own out of pocket too!). It's like a glorious ass to mouth human chain with taxpayers at one end and Raytheon at the other. Really the bare minimums of decency.

JS: Is this the new projection. 

5 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Is this a real post? Why should anyone defend Mitch McConnell ever? Any other awful human beings you’d like to white knight for?

Cool he said we should stick up for Ukraine. Congrats on reaching the minimums.

Ana doesn’t think we should be supporting Ukraine and is trying to pull the “look you stupid libs agree with Mitch McConnell!” move.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

I'm supposed to cheer McConnell for doing his job? I remember when Reagan called the Russians the Evil Empire. Maybe he does too. That's not going to change all the other fucked up shit he has done. Put it all on the scales and he has a lot more on the shitty side than the good stuff.

POS does the right thing. It happens. Don't expect it to last.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Mitch is never two-faced in his appeal to get the support of the American people while carrying out another agenda. To wit:

Then he protects the villain. Not a big deal, I guess. Just the whole fucking republic on the line.

If John Gotti gave a $10MM to help the homeless, he'd still be a murdering criminal. McConnell supporting Ukraine hoping to protect the reputation of the GЯP criminal organization is similar to my thinking. They take money from the Russians. Their nominated and elected party candidate was in bed with the Russians. The NRA funneled them funds.

No. This doesn't move the needle. This is the facade of politics to mask the planned overthrow.

He is one of the many likely deserving of public execution.

You just know the only reason McConnell says anything negative about Trump is because he'll never be the majority leader again.  If we were now, instead of Schumer, he'd be sucking Trump's ween.  

59 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

POS does the right thing. It happens. Don't expect it to last.

There will come a point where the Russian money/influence (over groups like the NRA) may outweigh whatever the military industrial complex is tossing his way (and his lieutenants' way), but right now defense industry is winning.

Of course, the Marjorie Taylor Greene's and Boeberts and Rand Pauls are more than happy to suck up to the Russians, so the R's are getting in on both sides.

Shame that The Deep State and the anti-Republican DOJ are not clever enough to figure out what the Republicans did in Moscow on that little July 4th trip.....

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

I'll take @Bullneck over @Victor Lazlo as a team player any fucking day of the week. He knows what policy he supports and is willing to say so. 

I can't say for sure what the hell Ana supports. 

Thanks! 

You know, in the past I never thought it necessary to state the obvious (support policies that take care of others, that life has its ups and downs, mind your own business, treat others as you wish to be treated) but gotdamn I'm amazed every day how stridently some people feel otherwise.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Self defense remains acceptable to this progressive. But, I celebrate the death of Nazis, who outlawed abortion, and executed educated free thinkers, gay folk, and artists. Oh, and tried to exterminate Jews. They fetishized science, too.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Space is fun, alright

35 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Self defense remains acceptable to this progressive. But, I celebrate the death of Nazis, who outlawed abortion, and executed educated free thinkers, gay folk, and artists. Oh, and tried to exterminate Jews. They fetishized science, too.

Congrats. Most of y'all are basically indistinguishable from neocons now. One small baby step and you would be happy to jump up and man a bulldozer in the west bank.

• Fuck You 2

58 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Congrats. Most of y'all are basically indistinguishable from neocons now. One small baby step and you would be happy to jump up and man a bulldozer in the west bank.

Are you a Sunni who hates Shia’s - or vice-versa?  Or a ‘Merican Southern Baptist who hates both? 

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

MM: Sending arms to Ukraine is THE most important priority and challenge facing our country right now.

A: Wonder how this is going to shake with the CR lunatics. 

CR: Fuck yeah Mitch! This is THE priority and the best use of our resources (and our own out of pocket too!). It's like a glorious ass to mouth human chain with taxpayers at one end and Raytheon at the other. Really the bare minimums of decency.

JS: Is this the new projection. 

Well, SOMEBODY has to be on the side of the raping, torturing, civilian murdering, child stealing, war criminals…

21069CD4-8A63-4499-90B9-CFD95175DB8F.gif.7b40fe05ede19967a8b52f660447d21d.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

24 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Well, SOMEBODY has to be on the side of the raping, torturing, civilian murdering, child stealing, war criminals…

21069CD4-8A63-4499-90B9-CFD95175DB8F.gif.7b40fe05ede19967a8b52f660447d21d.gif

That GIF is perfect.  Russia is seen as a bunch of losers (or at least is seen as losing) and it's allies are a bunch of Muslim countries and kinda sorta China.  You look at videos of Ukrainian soldiers, and they are kitted out to Western standards, they look like they stepped out of the last Cal of Duty or Battlefield games, and they just look like professional soldiers.  Meanwhile, way too many Russian soldiers are seen in various videos looking like they stepped out of....history.

That bugs the shit out of the MAGA crowd, who hate the Muslims, hate the Chinese, and don't want to be perceived as losers.

Strong Bill Kristol vibes y'all. Well done. If you think, like Mitch does, that sending unlimited money and arms to Ukraine is the most important issue facing Americans and the United States today, you should certainly carry on. It's ok. Maybe it all plays out swell in the long run. No concerns to be had at all about what happens when the immediate (and completely justifiable) demand needs recede. As with most things related to American foreign policy tactics, you can feel a lot better about it if you just constrain yourself to thinking about the outcomes in segments based on 6 month time horizons. If you are really concerned about genocide, and you neolib/neocons are really not, your energy would be well focused on another continent. But that might make you have to actually think about the words on your yard sign. 

Edited by Anastasis