Aluminum Wiring, Tell Me About it

21 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Saw another one with aluminum wiring, today.

hqdefault.jpg

Whoever said that they're selling teardowns for a million bucks nailed it.

Fuck this market.

In the ass.

What’s the matter pussy, you don’t want to keep an eye out for smoking outlets to replace on occasion?  Don’t want to throw the main breaker everytime you go on vacation?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2022 at 8:05 PM, Bevo said:

If conduit is used can't you simply remove all the cover plates and go into the attic and pull new Romex down from there. That doesn't sound too hard.

I put all my romex inside conduit.  You know, just to be sure. 

My house (built in 1950) that I bought 5 years ago has aluminum wiring.

I had no problem with insurance (State Farm) and (as I understand it) as long as you have proper CO/ALR recepts throughout the house it's no big deal. 

I mean, the fucker didn't burn down for nearly 70 years before I owned it and I personally replaced all of the recepts in the house with CO/ALR versions so I figure I'm safe.

19 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

My house (built in 1950) that I bought 5 years ago has aluminum wiring.

I had no problem with insurance (State Farm) and (as I understand it) as long as you have proper CO/ALR recepts throughout the house it's no big deal. 

I mean, the fucker didn't burn down for nearly 70 years before I owned it and I personally replaced all of the recepts in the house with CO/ALR versions so I figure I'm safe.

That's odd.  It seems prime time for Al wiring was late 60s early 70s.

On the one hand, with both Al wiring and the slab foundations of which I am highly skeptical, going a long time without a major problem is reassuring.  On the other hand, you wonder if you're due.

My understanding is that every wire joint in an Al house is susceptible to problems, not just receptacles and switches that can be dealt with relatively easily.

And every one of the Al-wired houses we have seen have been "fixed" with "purple nut pigtails."  I'm just not satisfied that that is an adequate solution.  It seems to be a corner-cut, and it makes me wonder what nasty, corroded and unrepaired joints are in there waiting to burst into flame.

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

On the one hand, with both Al wiring and the slab foundations of which I am highly skeptical, going a long time without a major problem is reassuring.  On the other hand, you wonder if you're due.

My understanding is that every wire joint in an Al house is susceptible to problems, not just receptacles and switches that can be dealt with relatively easily.

And every one of the Al-wired houses we have seen have been "fixed" with "purple nut pigtails."  I'm just not satisfied that that is an adequate solution.  It seems to be a corner-cut, and it makes me wonder what nasty, corroded and unrepaired joints are in there waiting to burst into flame.

There should be no hidden connections in any home electrical wiring.  Buried boxes are a big no-no.  Any permitted electrical work would be highly unlikely to have that condition.  

12 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Your main panel is going to be aluminum. Cross off all the house in your list. 

And I prefer slab foundations unless the house is at least 6’ off the ground so I can walk under it. 

Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

many copper wired houses also have aluminum wiring to range, dryer or furnace.

Edited by Incredulity

Your main panel is going to be aluminum. Cross off all the house in your list. 

And I prefer slab foundations unless the house is at least 6’ off the ground so I can walk under it. 

Yeah, but it’s tied directly into the panel. It’s not spliced together anywhere.

How much is a rewire these days? I did a 2,000 foot house for $7k six years ago in SA. Even at twice or even three times the price it would be worth it in my mind for an otherwise solid house in this crazy market.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/6/2022 at 9:17 AM, TwiceHorn said:

Can you explain what you mean here?

My understanding was that the big issue with AL wiring was where it interfaced with copper, because of oxidation issues. Hence, light fixtures, switches and recepts were the main concerns.

Also - the other thing that makes me not worry so much is that most fixtures and recepts aren’t pulling nearly the load that they were back in the day. Light fixtures pull like 80% less power with LEDs vs. incandescents… many other big power pullers (refrigerators, dishwashers, etc.) are also FAR more efficient and use way less power than they did for most of the life of my house.  Even modern LED TVs that are WAY larger than old CRT versions pull way less power.

5 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Can you explain what you mean here?

My understanding was that the big issue with AL wiring was where it interfaced with copper, because of oxidation issues. Hence, light fixtures, switches and recepts were the main concerns.

Also - the other thing that makes me not worry so much is that most fixtures and recepts aren’t pulling nearly the load that they were back in the day. Light fixtures pull like 80% less power with LEDs vs. incandescents… many other big power pullers (refrigerators, dishwashers, etc.) are also FAR more efficient and use way less power than they did for most of the life of my house.  Even modern LED TVs that are WAY larger than old CRT versions pull way less power.

Aluminum does two things when it carries current, it heats up and it expands.  Both to a greater degree than copper.

All aluminum wiring in the "bad old days" was connected to terminals designed for copper wire, which means not designed to accommodate the expansion, and in some cases with brass screws and hardware (see discussion of copper and aluminum below). So the connections physically loosened over time, and in the case of brass corroded, reducing the conductivity of the connection, leading to further heating and the gaps to arcing or sparking.

So, you splice in a length of copper wire to make the termination, a "pigtail.."  Except copper and aluminum are a galvanic pair and corrode the shit out of each other.  So you have another problem of the corrosion making the physical connection suspect, leading to overheating and arcing.

There are three ways to connect copper and aluminum.  The purple nuts, which are conventional wire nuts filled with anti-corrosive material.  COPAL connectors that have separate screw or other terminals for each type of conductor.  And a type of crimp that mechanically welds the two wires together in a way that is not susceptible to galvanic corrosion or separation by differential expansion.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Also, something else I learned about aluminum wiring.  Except for being a bad pair with copper, stranded aluminum wire doesn't do the things that solid aluminum wiring does.  Pretty sure the big wires in the fuse box above are stranded, and also very positively terminated.  The main problem seems to be small gauge solid aluminum wire using screw-down and wire nut type connectors, that is, the stuff that makes up household wiring.

Also, a different alloy was developed in the later 70s that is less objectionable than that used in the late 60s and early 70s.

Aluminum is still preferred for a lot of "big conductor" applications because it is far less dense than copper, and thus less heavy.  So even though its conductivity is a lot lower, a lighter big fat cable can be made of aluminum.

Edited by TwiceHorn

19 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also, something else I learned about aluminum wiring.  Except for being a bad pair with copper, stranded aluminum wire doesn't do the things that solid aluminum wiring does.  Pretty sure the big wires in the fuse box above are stranded, and also very positively terminated.  The main problem seems to be small gauge solid aluminum wire using screw-down and wire nut type connectors, that is, the stuff that makes up household wiring.

Also, a different alloy was developed in the later 70s that is less objectionable than that used in the late 60s and early 70s.

Aluminum is still preferred for a lot of "big conductor" applications because it is far less dense than copper, and thus less heavy.  So even though its conductivity is a lot lower, a lighter big fat cable can be made of aluminum.

I just got my main panel replaced (because the solar people told me I need to in order to get solar), and yes, the feeder wires that come in from the pole are aluminum. 

• 2 months later...

So, it appears that some of you with "untreated" aluminum wiring have homeowners insurance.  Was there an extra charge?

The internet seems to think that HO may not be available if it is not remedied in some way, at least from some carriers.  And the better the remedy, the better the premium.

When we asked the listing agent about Al wiring and what had been done, she just kind of said "wut"?

15 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

So, it appears that some of you with "untreated" aluminum wiring have homeowners insurance.  Was there an extra charge?

The internet seems to think that HO may not be available if it is not remedied in some way, at least from some carriers.  And the better the remedy, the better the premium.

When we asked the listing agent about Al wiring and what had been done, she just kind of said "wut"?

Just buy it and be legends.

On 8/8/2022 at 5:51 PM, TwiceHorn said:

I have State Farm and while they threw a fit about my roof (had to be replaced) they gave zero fucks about the aluminum wiring. Didn't even bring it up.

• Hook 'Em 1