Ok, we need an Oscar thread after that Will Smith/Chris Rock moment

BrickHorn

Just now, Lat22 said:

Completely fabricated for ratings. They’re actors. Bookmark my post.

Seriously doubt it, but I did wonder if it was supposed to be a bit that went too far. Like Smith was going to jump up and pretend to be pissed. Rock didn't look surprised at all until he got smacked in the face. Which, I guess makes sense now that I type it. 

10 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I think I’m going to take a counterpoint here. His wife has lost her hair due to a disease and Rock made a joke about her. If that was my wife, I might clock him as well. 

Will Smith kind of lost the right to be outraged because he was laughing at the joke until his wife gave him the look.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Oscar committee: "Yo Will, we're going to need you to throw away the last ounce of wholesome credibility that you have left from a 30 year career due to your annoying son and scientology bullshit, so we can trend on Twitter."

Will: "I got you, fam."

Ha. Yes. "Hey Will, we know you're on the cusp of what is your greatest achievement as an actor in this profession, but can you do us a solid and commit assault on live television so we can be relevant on social media? We'll do you a solid and give you the award after that for your trouble because that won't make things awkward for you at all. Thanks buddy. Loved you in Men In Black!". 

Another aspect of all this that I thought of is Chris Rock making a joke based on two actors not having a shot of winning their awards any way. No one in that audience that Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz had a shot at winning their respective awards. It was always going to be Chastain or Olivia Coleman and either Will Smith or Andrew Garfield. 

Edited by mdmost

Lol, don’t even care, but the memes will be great. Last I heard he was cool with her banging other dudes and being part of the stupid super cereal fresh prince reboot, should have gone with those jokes. Didn’t know he was a scientology cultist, makes sense that he’s lost his goddamned mind and destroyed his image as a megastar.

• Hook 'Em 1

Staged by who? For what? To make Will Smith look like an insane lunatic?

All parties. For what? We’re talking about something we’d normally have no business talking about. A 300 post thread in 12 hrs. I believe No chance Chris rock, who’s almost 60, can withstand a full slap to the face from another grown ass man…and will smith is pretty muscular. Rock isn’t even fazed by it.

Rocks clearly leaning in, pre slap, prepping for whatever contact is to come. Smith probably tries to make as little contact as possible…maybe some dude who has a mic claps in it for sound effect purposes.

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

All parties. For what? We’re talking about something we’d normally have no business talking about. A 300 post thread in 12 hrs. I believe No chance Chris rock, who’s almost 60, can withstand a full slap to the face from another grown ass man…and will smith is pretty muscular. Rock isn’t even fazed by it.

Rocks clearly leaning in, pre slap, prepping for whatever contact is to come. Smith probably tries to make as little contact as possible…maybe some dude who has a mic claps in it for sound effect purposes.

If Rock could lean into a punch he knew was coming and not even flinch then he deserves that Best Actor trophy. 

A few weeks ago I went to the NBR awards in New York. It's not televised and on a smaller scale than the Oscars, but it's still pretty A List (Will Smith, Bradley Cooper, etc.). Chris Rock gave the introduction speech for PTA winning best director and devoted the entire time to absolutely ripping PTA, Cooper Hoffman and Alana Haim. The jokes included shots at Cooper only getting the role due to nepotism (i.e., his dead father), and that it wasn't believable that a guy that looked like him could get with Alana Haim.  I was sitting a few seats from Hoffman and he was laughing fucking hysterically the entire time.

All that to say that a 19 year old has infinitely more maturity than Will Smith. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I go way out of my way to avoid hearing about Will Smith and his talentless wife and his mongoloid offspring who have had all of their turds bronzed and shown to the world. It's impossible to avoid them. Fuck him and that bald-headed bitch and her overused holes. 

He gets mad

And starts to cry

He takes a swing, but

He can't hit

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

It was a slap not a punch and not one of those slaps you see in the Russian slap contests….  I’ve seen plenty people get punch in the face and not move their mouth or jaw around, cause they don’t want to act like a little bitch.  

You don’t have to be a professional Russian slapper to get someone to react more than rock did. Anyone one of us, could open hand slap anyone and most of the time get a reaction out of someone they slap as hard as they can. Unless you’re 57 yr old comedian Chris rock and actor will smith.

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Lol, don’t even care, but the memes will be great. Last I heard he was cool with her banging other dudes and being part of the stupid super cereal fresh prince reboot, should have gone with those jokes. Didn’t know he was a scientology cultist, makes sense that he’s lost his goddamned mind and destroyed his image as a megastar.

I've seen some mention online that maybe this is a lot like a Doug Christie type relationship. If you're not aware of that, it was a pretty wild scene with an NBA player where his wife was ridiculously overbearing and always making him do things in public to show how great their relationship was. Behind the scenes she was doing things like weighing his balls to see if he was cheating on her after he got back from a road trip. There's some thought that things were peachy until Jada took it the wrong way and possibly gave Will Smith the look of you need to go rectify that. So I'm not so sure Will Smith is okay with her sleeping with other dudes as much as he may not really have a say in the matter. Doesn't excuse his behavior but there's something very very strange about that relationship. 

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

not the best look for Rock to make fun of someone’s disease, and fairly old and bad joke since GI Jane was out 25 years ago. Still as Charlie Murphy said, you don’t slap another man. If you’re going to hit him, hit him.

Smith was wrong. I get wanting to protect your wife but attempting to slap someone and walk off is wrong.

my prediction is that Rock and Smith both apologize today and say that they’re still good friends. It gives Rock an opening joke for future Oscar gigs.

Except ultimately, Smith wasn't protecting his wife.  It was a stupid joke that Rock shouldn't have made, which a handful of people would have heard.  Now the whole world knows about his wife's alopecia.  Whatever Smith did was for his own inflated ego, not to actually protect his wife.

Oscar committee: "Yo Will, we're going to need you to throw away the last ounce of wholesome credibility that you have left from a 30 year career due to your annoying son and scientology bullshit, so we can trend on Twitter."
Will: "I got you, fam."

Oscar committee: also since nobody’s watching…it’ll really get your name out!

I'm guessing that Chris Rock has been hit in the face a few times before in his life

Christopher Julius Rock was born in Andrews, South Carolina on February 7, 1965.[1][2] Shortly after his birth, his parents moved to the Crown Heights neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York. A few years later, they relocated and settled in the working class area of Bedford–Stuyvesant.[3] His mother, Rosalie (née Tingman), was a teacher and social worker for the mentally handicapped; his father, Julius Rock, was a truck driver and newspaper deliveryman.[4] Julius died in 1988 after ulcer surgery.[1]

Chris Rock is one of eight Rock siblings. Chris is the oldest of Julius and Rosalie (Rose) Rock's seven children (six boys and one girl).[5] Chris had an older paternal half-brother Charles Ledell Rock, who died in 2006 after suffering from alcoholism.[6][7]

Rock's younger brothers Tony,[8] Kenny,[9] and Jordan[10] are also in the entertainment business.

Rock's family history was profiled on the PBS series African American Lives 2 in 2008. A DNA test showed that he is of Cameroonian descent, specifically from the Udeme (Ouldémé) people of northern Cameroon.[11] Rock's great-great-grandfather, Julius Caesar Tingman, was enslaved for 21 years before serving in the American Civil War as part of the United States Colored Troops. During the 1940s, Rock's paternal grandfather moved from South Carolina to New York City to become a taxicab driver and preacher.[12]

Rock was bused to schools in predominately white neighborhoods of Brooklyn, where he endured bullying and beatings from white students.[13][14][15] As he grew older, the bullying worsened and Rock's parents pulled him out of James Madison High School.[15] He dropped out of high school altogether, but he later earned a GED. Rock then worked various jobs at fast-food restaurants.[13][14]

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Do you honestly believe 57 year old 5-10, 168 lb Chris rock has an iron jaw to 6’2, 220 lb will smith?

It was a slap and probably not one that hard given Will Smith didn't seem like he had an idea what he was about to do. But conspiracies are fun. 

9 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Except ultimately, Smith wasn't protecting his wife.  It was a stupid joke that Rock shouldn't have made, which a handful of people would have heard.  Now the whole world knows about his wife's alopecia.  Whatever Smith did was for his own inflated ego, not to actually protect his wife.

Not only that, what he did accomplishes absolutely nothing in the way of “protecting” her. That’s all make believe bullshit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Do you honestly believe 57 year old 5-10, 168 lb Chris rock has an iron jaw to 6’2, 220 lb will smith?

Rock's reaction after seemed 100% genuine. As did Smith yelling from the crowd. Not one part of that appeared staged to me.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Rock's reaction after seemed 100% genuine. As did Smith yelling from the crowd. Not one part of that appeared staged to me.

Look at the posters suggesting that it's staged. There's a common theme. We can't even unite and clown on the Fresh Prince melting down on national television; there always has to be a political undercurrent and/or conspiracy at play.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

It was a slap and probably not one that hard given Will Smith didn't seem like he had an idea what he was about to do. But conspiracies are fun. 

Rock claims he got the shit smacked out of him.

Has his arms behind his back the entire time until smacked, then puts them back behind his back like nothing happened. Doesn’t even touch his face like any one on earth would do.

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Rock claims he got the shit smacked out of him.

Has his arms behind his back the entire time until smacked, then puts them back behind his back like nothing happened. Doesn’t even touch his face like any one on earth would do.

And the stumbling through the rest of the actual reason he was out there, to present an award? If it were staged, he would've recovered and smoothly completed his assignment. The Oscars have had jokes were people were in on it and you could tell. But believe your conspiracy. God, why am I engaging with a moron again. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

No wonder these idiots think they are infinitely more relevant than they should be. Dancing around to own his shitty music, while everyone starts filming it like they are witnessing the birth of jesus, while off to the left there was a line forming to sniff his farts. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2