Ok, we need an Oscar thread after that Will Smith/Chris Rock moment

BrickHorn

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

After rewatching, I’m going staged. Rocks face doesn’t even seem effected after a slap that hard from a grown man? Dudes mouth or jaw aren’t even moving seconds afterwards?

*affected

Moron.

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Props to Chris for maintaining composure. Even with a slap, it can be a bit emasculating to take a hit like that in public and not respond in kind. 

Only if you are an insecure wuss. And yes, big props to Rock for keeping it together.

20 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

seriously, you just slapped a man. i cannot imagine a situation where i'm slapping another dude. i can imagine fighting, i guess, though my bitch ass would tend to avoid actual physical fighting. 

but if you are going up there to confront the man, have the courtesy of making a fist. jesus christ.

Well, unless you are challenging him to a duel.

spacer.png

You don’t see NoHo Hank asking people to avenge jokes against him, so you?  Oh wait, that’s literally all he does.  Dammit, I had something for this.  

25 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

This is laughable, like most of his hot takez, on several levels.  Manny is quite serious in this tweet, though.

Yeah, and he got out of West Philly by writing a children's rap called "Parents Just Don't Understand."

Will Smith made Bryant Gumble look like Malcom X until last night.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

So the conspiracy buffs who are claiming this was fake are arguing that the evidence is Rock didn't react like a normal person would react to being slapped. Chris Rock, a professional actor, did not act like he was hit and this is evidence that the whole thing was fake and Rock and Smith were just acting. Do I have that right?

6 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

the “regina hall is single” bit was revisited all night. you are wrong. nobody is outraged.

I swear this site is so polarized that you can't bust balls anymore without someone thinking you have an angle. I'm just making comedy here and you'd think I made fun of his wife's bald head. 

2 hours ago, achooloco said:

technically, not the disease but her hairstyle. It is a different. Also, she don't have money to change her style?! And either pointed out here or on the internets, who wouldn't watch Jada in GI JANE 2? That would have been a pretty good flick!

No one is inviting Jada to be a star in an action movie. She's a bad ass character actor, especially for being 50, but she's not in the Oscar audience for her career.  Will is A-list, she's C-list which is still an achievement.

Jada puts herself out there to be part of the jokes. From proclaiming her past boycott of the Oscars to publicly talking about topics in her TV show.  A joke related to her medical condition is 100% wrong even if it was a joke that said that she could leverage her look for a movie role. 

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Props to Chris for maintaining composure. Even with a slap, it can be a bit emasculating to take a hit like that in public and not respond in kind. 

He handled it better than WS did, who looked like he coulda tripped from the effort 

So the conspiracy buffs who are claiming this was fake are arguing that the evidence is Rock didn't react like a normal person would react to being slapped. Chris Rock, a professional actor, did not act like he was hit and this is evidence that the whole thing was fake and Rock and Smith were just acting. Do I have that right?

It’s that west Andrews South Carolina in rock that taught him how to land a slap. Not professional acting, bro.

Jada is an emotionally abusive narcissist and once Will realized Jada couldn't take the joke (narcissists cannot stand being laughed at) he realized he needed to do something or she would blame him forever, especially since he was laughing at first.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

@MNLonghornFUKM as some funny guy on twitter said: "The Oscars wouldn’t fabricate a fake assault because they could never do anything even remotely that interesting on purpose".

Didn't they announce "the wrong movie" as winner of best picture and have them all walk up on stage only to tell them they actually lost and make them all look like idiots? 

1 minute ago, Zeus said:

Didn't they announce "the wrong movie" as winner of best picture and have them all walk up on stage only to tell them they actually lost and make them all look like idiots? 

Also wasn't staged. No need to put it in quotes. 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Don’t you know if slapped 99% of people would grab their face and start crying!  Atleast according to some here lol.  Who have obviously never been punched in the face. 

39 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Hilarious that everyone is acting like she has some exotic tragic disease when alopecia is literally baldness. 

Alopecia is literally baldness but there are nine different forms of it.  Jada Smith has alopecia areata, an autoimmune disorder that results in unpredictable hair loss.  In her case, it was coming out in patches, leaving other places with hair. Like this:

Alopecia Areata Treatment | Signs & Symptoms | Dr. Bagadia's Clinic

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

They can in fact condemn violence and then give Will Smith an award that was voted on multiple days and weeks before he committed an assault on live tv that evening. Should they have said sorry, you don't get your award now for a performance because you slapped Chris Rock over a tasteless joke?

They could have removed him from the ceremony, and then accepted the award on his behalf that he won. Not let him up on stage. I imagine going forward, that will be the new policy. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Nah that wasn't planned.  Rock obviously took it like a champ, but he did take a second to get back on track and side step it.  As any comedian would do...make some awkward jokes to move on.  And he did mix up some words when talking about the documentary, and then kinda rushed to "let's just get to the nominees" cut to videos.  Will probably boozed up too. 

1 minute ago, burntorangebongos said:

They could have removed him from the ceremony, and then accepted the award on his behalf that he won. Not let him up on stage. I imagine going forward, that will be the new policy. 

If they allow Smith to attend in the future it would be a joke. (of course they will)  I would think member on member violence would be a no-no in their world.

10 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Alopecia is literally baldness but there are nine different forms of it.  Jada Smith has alopecia areata, an autoimmune disorder that results in unpredictable hair loss.  In her case, it was coming out in patches, leaving other places with hair. Like this:

Alopecia Areata Treatment | Signs & Symptoms | Dr. Bagadia's Clinic

Sure, fine. It's not creating health concerns, and if she is actually self-conscious over the situation, they are worth high 8 or low 9 figures, preeetttttaayy sure it could have been addressed without anyone knowing. 

22 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Clearly, this scripted PR stunt will help Will Smith’s career, so no doubt he was eager to go along with it when it was pitched to him.  As Pee Wee Herman once said, “There’s no such thing as bad publicity.”

I think all three will do well off of this.  Still not sure if real or fake.

51 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Yes. Will smith slapping someone before he wins trends more for talking shows world wide than winning an Oscar. Do you think more or less people are going to watch his Oscar winning performance who otherwise wouldn’t have because they don’t pay attention to this shit?

I think every July 4th I see more will smith mentions than anything else he’s done.

no one's going to watch king richard because of this.  and more people might be talking about him now than if he hadn't done it but they're talking about him the same way they talk about jussie smollet.  it doesn't make sense.  smith's always needed people to love him.  he's not going to turn heel on the very night he's reaching the pinnacle of his career.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

If they allow Smith to attend in the future it would be a joke. (of course they will)  I would think member on member violence would be a no-no in their world.

he will be called on to present the best actress statue for the 2023 show.  something tells me he'll have a scheduling conflict.

making an announcement about it is the kind of publicity the academy doesn't want.  

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

Didn’t watch any of this last night, but reading the thread is a reminder of how fucked up Hollywood can be. These actors–the ones like Will Smith who are the blockbuster stars making millions—are living a life where every day people are telling them how great they are and throwing money at them, while working on a massive movie set where everyone is so painfully serious about playing pretend. So much of their waking life is literally make believe. It’s such a huge detachment from reality. It makes it tough for even seemingly good guys like Tom Hanks from staying grounded.

I say this as someone who still loves the movies.

I agree with much of your sentiment, but the pampered lives enjoyed by the big stars in Hollywood follow the general path of the fabulously wealthy all over the country (New York & LA). 

You're incorrect in your description of life on a movie set. Shooting about 10 minutes of film on a good day means that most of the time on a set is about as romantic and make believe as a building site. Stars spend a lot of time in luxury trailers waiting and then have to find a way to get into a scene surrounded by a silently standing crew. That's not happily playing make believe. It's concentration and talent.

Now, at home or anywhere, you get rich people behavior. Me Too started with Weinstein and spread to famous figures in movies, TV, and music. It seems most of Jeff Epsteins clientele of rapists were not in show biz but from other areas of wealth. Some handle wealth and power with dignity and integrity. Others don't.

Will Smith's attack on Rock strikes me (purely guessing) as a rich boy-then-man looking for street cred in his holy crusade to prove he's some sort of great vessel of love protecting people who likely don't need it. How was he protecting the actresses playing Serena and Venus Williams? Sounds creepy and awkward. Smith's world view has been shaped much like Tom Cruise's: early success followed by phenomenal success. That's a lot of isolation from the real world if you throw in how their recognizability makes ordinary activities in public just about impossible.

I've been bored by Smith on screen for sometime. You have to think his power turned a movie about Venus and Serena into a story about his character. I'm told he was offered Jango Unchained but insisted the Brunhilde storyline be dropped with all characters involved leaving a movie simply about Jango wreaking havoc. 

He's a dick. He's self-important. He's a bully. He towers over Rock who stands with his hands behind his back because it's unthinkable that he will be assaulted on the stage of the fucking Academy Awards. 

I go on about this at too much length because the event is very troubling to me. Just how far are people willing to push simple civility and tolerance out of our lives? The audience at the show were still applauding and laughing after Smith returned to his seat and shouted the first time. It just seems like a perfect little scene depicting the threads of civility wearing out. Not important on it's own but indicative of something I'm concerned about.

TL:DR. I deserve it. But it is disturbing. And fuck Will Smith. On the other hand, we've got Chris Rock collecting himself and proceeding as decorously as he could. He didn't stoop to Smith's level. I would not want to be the target of Chris Rock with a mic in his hand. Rock maintained diginity. Maybe I should focus more on that part of the story.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

No wonder these idiots think they are infinitely more relevant than they should be. Dancing around to own his shitty music, while everyone starts filming it like they are witnessing the birth of jesus, while off to the left there was a line forming to sniff his farts. 

You seem like a miserable loser whos never had anyone sniff their farts

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

is Google search broken in the name dropping, fuckhead resort you live?

Name-Dropping, Fuckhead Resort?  Oh man, you just love to throw a hanging curveball right over the plate.  You're literally describing this family owned resort I know in SE Florida where they constantly talk about how many tremendous people they know.  Plus everybody there is a fuckhead.  But I don't want to hurt your feelings on a Monday.  Apparently I upset you at some point in the past, but I honestly don't remember.  If that's the case, I'll happily acknowledge, apologize, and buy you a beer in real life.  But you gotta man up and say something more specific, "Meh, you shitpost and I don't like it!"  Or just continue to bring up shit that nobody remembers from years ago like a fucking woman, which seems to be the lane you should stay in.  

Anyway, I think this is all an elaborate ruse to get "Good Hair, Part 2" some free publicity:

7 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I am like the vast majority of folks who saw this on social media instead of live. I guess there were no Alex Baldwin target practice or dodging responsibility jokes.

alec.

you really think comedians hired to host the oscars would make light of a film cinematographer getting dead?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I swear this site is so polarized that you can't bust balls anymore without someone thinking you have an angle. I'm just making comedy here and you'd think I made fun of his wife's bald head. 

Edited by clapclapclap
I'm just making comedy with that abbreviated link
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

people said the same thing about kanye and swift, turns out kanye was just insane

This.

You have to look at this in the context of Will Smith's entire family being fucking batshit.  He's been batshit for a long time but did a good job hiding it until recently.