Coffee Bean Grinder Recs?

I was the guy who had bad luck with Baratza. The first one I managed to break off the little plastic pieces while cleaning and the second appears to have been a lemon, jamming up bad after one cycle. I don’t have any problems with a manual grinder, so I’m sticking to that or something with blades for the time being. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Apep said:

I was the guy who had bad luck with Baratza. The first one I managed to break off the little plastic pieces while cleaning and the second appears to have been a lemon, jamming up bad after one cycle. I don’t have any problems with a manual grinder, so I’m sticking to that or something with blades for the time being. 

I would agree that the baratza seems breakable when cleaning.

The Baratza Encore seems like a solid option, so I'll go with that. Letting the wife choose between black and white in the morning, then I'll pull the trigger.

On another topic, do any of you have coffee bean preferences?  We tend to enjoy the bolder, stronger flavors, and maybe some spices in our coffee. Just looking for some good drip coffee that will be solid as everyday drinker types. Any suggestions appreciated. I'll hang up and listen.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

The Baratza Encore seems like a solid option, so I'll go with that. Letting the wife choose between black and white in the morning, then I'll pull the trigger.

On another topic, do any of you have coffee bean preferences?  We tend to enjoy the bolder, stronger flavors, and maybe some spices in our coffee. Just looking for some good drip coffee that will be solid as everyday drinker types. Any suggestions appreciated. I'll hang up and listen.

I think you would enjoy beans from Latin America or Indonesia. Medium to dark roasts. Or look for Viennese roasts. Lighter roast tends to bring out fruitier acidic notes. 

As you experiment… the guideline I learned from is coarser grind and lower water temp (195-200) for darker roasts. Finer grind and higher water temp 200-215 for lighter roasts. 

Edited by YChang
  • Hook 'Em 1

nicaragua from third coast coffee is my daily jam

https://shop.thirdcoastcoffee.com/collections/central-america/products/nicaragua

I've been grinding beans from Black and White here in Wake Forest but I think I'm actually going to switch back to Third Coast (which I used to pick up on my way home from work when I lived in south Austin) just because they're so reasonably priced.

5 hours ago, YChang said:

I think you would enjoy beans from Latin America or Indonesia. Medium to dark roasts. Or look for Viennese roasts. Lighter roast tends to bring out fruitier acidic notes. 

As you experiment… the guideline I learned from is coarser grind and lower water temp (195-200) for darker roasts. Finer grind and higher water temp 200-215 for lighter roasts. 

What do you do if your water boils at 195? 

44 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

What do you do if your water boils at 195? 

Yeah you’re in Co. Er… I have no idea! You might have to experiment and maybe ask a barista at your fav coffee shop on how they brew their pour overs, drips, etc…

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, YChang said:

Yeah you’re in Co. Er… I have no idea! You might have to experiment and maybe ask a barista at your fav coffee shop on how they brew their pour overs, drips, etc…

We have one of those electric teakettles up in the mountains.  I had to set it to shut off at 195* (did the math based on our elevation) or it would just keep running forever.  

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Hook 'Em 1