Copa Mundial 2022 Draw

JerrysJheriCurl

Calling my shot.

Group of Near Death: Belgium (revenge game) USA, Ghana (because we always draw Ghana), Japan

Group of Death: Brazil, Germany (because they need to play each other for the story), Senegal, Canadá 

Group of Almost Death: Spain, Morocco, Mexico, Ecuador

Group of Cake: Qatar, Switzerland, Tunisia, Peru.  Because Qatar NEEDS to advance!

Group of WTF: France, Uruguay, Iran, Saudi Arabia (because that Sunni Shi’a match up is gonna be lit)

I think I did the pots correctly. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

re: Group of Cake.

Now why would Qatar, a country so obviously on the up-and-up, possibly engage in activities to give them a favorable group draw so to quite possible eek out a 2 spot and advance to knockouts?  I just don't see that based on past proclivities.  But yeah, a lot of your draw hypothetical makes sense otherwise.  I guess we'll find out in 30 hours.  I know match times will take awhile for TV to hash out, but when do the match dates at least drop for group stage?  

5 hours ago, JerrysJheriCurl said:

Calling my shot.

Group of Near Death: Belgium (revenge game) USA, Ghana (because we always draw Ghana), Japan

Group of Death: Brazil, Germany (because they need to play each other for the story), Senegal, Canadá 

Group of Almost Death: Spain, Morocco, Mexico, Ecuador

Group of Cake: Qatar, Switzerland, Tunisia, Peru.  Because Qatar NEEDS to advance!

Group of WTF: France, Uruguay, Iran, Saudi Arabia (because that Sunni Shi’a match up is gonna be lit)

I think I did the pots correctly. 

Iran & Saudi Arabia can’t be in the same group. 

See: Group Selection Procedures 

Yeah, I think the only overlap that can happen is two UEFA will have to be in one group, but otherwise-it's separate confederations spread out equally.  

Why?  One word.  Volume.  

If it's a Sunni-Shia matchup you desire, then put Tunisia in with Iran instead of Saudi Arabia (which as Napoleon pointed out, can't happen w/ GSP)

Edited by Lobo

59 minutes ago, yoladu said:

what's nice is that being in Pot 2 means we won't be in the/a Group of Death.

or is my thinking screwy there?

To me, a group of death comes down to Pot 3 and 4. As long as Senegal does not end up with Qatar, they will be a group of death. Same with Canada and Poland. Ultra group of death would be Senegal/Poland + Canada + not Qatar. Basically, a scenario in which you have 3 or 4 teams that are strong contenders to emerge from the group.

Pot 2 is fairly inconsequential in my view as far as group of death goes - no matter what, you will have a pot 2 member that is a tough out. Pot 1 only matters because of Qatar.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

re: Group of Cake.

Now why would Qatar, a country so obviously on the up-and-up, possibly engage in activities to give them a favorable group draw so to quite possible eek out a 2 spot and advance to knockouts?  I just don't see that based on past proclivities.  But yeah, a lot of your draw hypothetical makes sense otherwise.  I guess we'll find out in 30 hours.  I know match times will take awhile for TV to hash out, but when do the match dates at least drop for group stage?  

What are you trying to say?

millionaire-arab-man-holding-money-bag-f

2 hours ago, yoladu said:

what's nice is that being in Pot 2 means we won't be in the/a Group of Death.

or is my thinking screwy there?

1 hour ago, dieucla98 said:

To me, a group of death comes down to Pot 3 and 4. As long as Senegal does not end up with Qatar, they will be a group of death. Same with Canada and Poland. Ultra group of death would be Senegal/Poland + Canada + not Qatar. Basically, a scenario in which you have 3 or 4 teams that are strong contenders to emerge from the group.

Pot 2 is fairly inconsequential in my view as far as group of death goes - no matter what, you will have a pot 2 member that is a tough out. Pot 1 only matters because of Qatar.

This is how I would rate it. First the draw/pots:

image.thumb.png.467c5f9eeeb620a36ebf9d58193a3933.png

Pot 1 - Matters if you get Qatar or if you draw South America or Europe. Qatar because they are the easiest team in there, but Europe or South America because it dictates if you can still get a South American team (IE Peru or Ecuador in pot 4) or 1 or 2 more European teams.

Pot 3 - is full of good teams. I think ideally you want to avoid the European teams, Senegal and likely Japan.

Pot 4 - has 3 landmines - UEFA Path A winner, Peru (likely) and Ecuador.

As a whole the US can easily end up in a rough group because we could draw something like France, Senegal, Wales or Peru and that would just be evil.

Edited by Captain Ron

8 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Iran & Saudi Arabia can’t be in the same group. 

See: Group Selection Procedures 

Good catch my man. It was late here in DC… and had too much Malbec. 
In vino veritas… I guess not. 

As someone said, the pot 4 selection will determine the GoD. Pot 3 has some Morton’s too. I don’t want to play Senegal. That team is salty AF. They are a dark horse for me to win it all. Already bet it at +15000. Threw a bit more on 🇺🇸
Poland with Lewandowski can be a dangerous team as well.

Should have waited for the draw to bet, but I guess that’s why it’s called gambling. 
Good luck all in. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

This is how I would rate it. First the draw/pots:

Pot 1 - Matters if you get Qatar or if you draw South America or Europe. Qatar because they are the easiest team in there, but Europe or South America because it dictates if you can still get a South American team (IE Peru or Ecuador in pot 4) or 1 or 2 more European teams.

Pot 3 - is full of good teams. I think ideally you want to avoid the European teams, Senegal and likely Japan.

Pot 4 - has 3 landmines - UEFA Path A winner, Peru (likely) and Ecuador.

As a whole the US can easily end up in a rough group because we could draw something like France, Senegal, Wales or Peru and that would just be evil.

If what folks are saying is true and Qatar has paid for a favorable drawing then the USA or Mexico will be drawn. They will want to avoid the Europeans because Europe and Uruguay due to their performances in the past.

8 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

pingpong balls with heat-sensitive invisible shellack: check

remote activated hair dryers under the circulation bowl: check

first order of business: fix the draw for the hosts

their pot 2 opponent must will be one of the smaller countries by population so when the fix is in the fewer the impressions on the intertrons; suisse fits the bill, but uruguay are the farthest away of the small population countries in pot 2

african and in particular islamic countries will be favored by the soccer gods in this mundial; hard to fix a match when both cohorts are represented, so the host pot 3 hair dryer will activate the shellack for japan, south korea, serbia or poland; let's go with south korea

same deal with pot 4; hard to fix a match when navas is in goal, so VOILA! blame Canada

Group 1: Qatar, Uruguay, South Korea, Canada

who do we end up with?

it depends on what's left after making other necessary arrangements

Saud require the 2nd most-politically expedient set of fixing with the same order of battle worked for Qatar

Saud pot 3: japan

Saud pot 2: suisse

Saud pot 1: at this point, one would normally attempt to pair with one's former colonial masters, except the turk are out much less sitting available in pot 1; who represents the best chance of an upset shocker....  like uruguay, argentina are way way out of their element, and have historically yo-yoed from mundial to mundial, but that means they are on an upswing after making the final 8 years ago and scraping out of their group in russia, so not argentina; looking up and down pot 1 i just don't see anyone that stands out as even possibly at risk to saud, so i'll pick portugal as the "lowest ranked".....

Group 2: Portugal, Suisse, Nippon, ,Saud

next up, it's morocco and tunisia...  carthage was ottoman for a long ass time before the brief french period; morocco was split by the spanish and the french for 50 years, so we can start to fill in some groups more quickly now...

Group 3: France, ?, Tunisia, easiest remaining from pot 4 = Ghana

Group 4: Spain, ?, Morocco, easiest remaining from pot 4 = one of the playoff winners

next level of fixing is for remaining African teams but i'm toast for the night

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

pingpong balls with heat-sensitive invisible shellack: check

remote activated hair dryers under the circulation bowl: check

first order of business: fix the draw for the hosts

their pot 2 opponent must will be one of the smaller countries by population so when the fix is in the fewer the impressions on the intertrons; suisse fits the bill, but uruguay are the farthest away of the small population countries in pot 2

african and in particular islamic countries will be favored by the soccer gods in this mundial; hard to fix a match when both cohorts are represented, so the host pot 3 hair dryer will activate the shellack for japan, south korea, serbia or poland; let's go with south korea

same deal with pot 4; hard to fix a match when navas is in goal, so VOILA! blame Canada

Group 1: Qatar, Uruguay, South Korea, Canada

who do we end up with?

it depends on what's left after making other necessary arrangements

Saud require the 2nd most-politically expedient set of fixing with the same order of battle worked for Qatar

Saud pot 3: japan

Saud pot 2: suisse

Saud pot 1: at this point, one would normally attempt to pair with one's former colonial masters, except the turk are out much less sitting available in pot 1; who represents the best chance of an upset shocker....  like uruguay, argentina are way way out of their element, and have historically yo-yoed from mundial to mundial, but that means they are on an upswing after making the final 8 years ago and scraping out of their group in russia, so not argentina; looking up and down pot 1 i just don't see anyone that stands out as even possibly at risk to saud, so i'll pick portugal as the "lowest ranked".....

Group 2: Portugal, Suisse, Nippon, ,Saud

next up, it's morocco and tunisia...  carthage was ottoman for a long ass time before the brief french period; morocco was split by the spanish and the french for 50 years, so we can start to fill in some groups more quickly now...

Group 3: France, ?, Tunisia, easiest remaining from pot 4 = Ghana

Group 4: Spain, ?, Morocco, easiest remaining from pot 4 = one of the playoff winners

next level of fixing is for remaining African teams but i'm toast for the night

What's easier to fix--the draw via shellacking or the match via refereeing?

South Korea's shameful and disgusting run to the semifinals as a host country in 2002 was the direct result of egregious home cooking. It was beyond CONCACAF bad. But Sepp and his crew got paid so ... profit?

In all seriousness, I expect FIFA to grant the US no favors, which means assignment to a mythical "Group of Death" and curiously bizarre refereeing once the matches are underway.

I don’t see FIFA sabotaging the host of the next World Cup.

2002 refereeing for South Korea was the most obscene that I’ve ever seen.

2018 doping for Russia was on the USPS Blue Train level. Russia had 35 & Over players sprinting around the field for 70+ minutes like teenagers on crack. 

2022 I only think that Qatar will get home cooking, but there doesn’t appear to be any other nations worth propping up or keeping down. (Of course, I don’t know of bribes to FIFA executives or the random match official from some country with little-to-No World Cup experience. (USMNT vs Slovenia phantom foul.)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I have a difficult time seeing how we arent going to end up in a very difficult draw. We are a very weak Pot 2 participant. Not a lot of permutations I feel really confident about. 

Are we a weak pot 2 participant? I think we are young, but I think we Gregg does let this team play free, we are really solid.

Now, that being said, we are talking about the World Cup. These teams aren't chopped liver.

IMHO, the biggest worries:

Pot 1 team - they are all tough

Pot 3 team - not a Euro please

Pot 4 team - one of the playoff teams

Edited by Captain Ron

10 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I have a difficult time seeing how we arent going to end up in a very difficult draw. We are a very weak Pot 2 participant. Not a lot of permutations I feel really confident about. 

I think on paper it'll be easier than 2014 and harder than 2010.

Edited by SimonBolivar

I remember the stuff on stage like they are doing now, but that intro commercial was a new level of stupid. 

Brazil had like 20 minutes of soccer juggling/dance prior to the pots coming out. 

Edited by Juicy