2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

ESPN - out of 38 baseball staff, exactly 1 picked the Astros to win the AL pennant.

Fangraphs  - two out of 23 picked the Astros to win the AL.

So 3/61 combined. External expectations are apparently lower than they’ve been in a while (2015?). That will give this season an interesting/different feel.

Damn I’m glad this is starting up.

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

ESPN - out of 38 baseball staff, exactly 1 picked the Astros to win the AL pennant.

So 3/61 combined. External expectations are apparently lower than they’ve been in a while (2015?). That will give this season an interesting/different feel.

I haven't seen the picks, but I am guessing Toronto is the majority.  They seem to be the ones everyone are nutriding 

2 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

The Athletic was zero picking them to win it all and only 37% to even win the division.

It's incredible that a pitching staff that was 36-24 (.600), and had a 3.57 combined era in 500 IP is getting so little respect. Oh yeah, that staff also added a CY contender and 1st ballot HOF to it.

When you add McCullers then it jumps to 49-29 (.628) and a 3.47 era in 660 IP, with a WHIP of 1.184 and a SO/BB of 2.78. So numbers are likely going to get better with Verlander back in the mix.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Cracking Up Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, WBT said:

I'm king of the batting order doesn't matter club but we're still batting Tucker 6th?

Same same. 
I really would love to hear the reason for what flies in the face of all modern lineup construction just out of curiosity, but yeah, that kind of thing is measured in small fractions of wins so, whatever.