2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Yeah, it's not hard to stagger the off days.  The problem is Dusty refuses to deviate from his schedule and rules for guys like Uncle Mike who he will never play a day game after a night game.

It's as of some expect Dusty to follow the process with analytics, but not follow his own process.

In April.

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Goodrum's now 0 for 6 on the season.  Dusty already dropped him from 3rd to 8th today.  What next?  Life comes at you fast.

Goodrum’s just happy that he’s going to get a ring and at least a partial playoff share that land in his lap after he’s DFA’d.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, runthebone said:

I don't know if it's rest or just letting everyone get a chance to play in the first series.

I think it’s this. Since the time I was a little boy it seems like baseball protocol not to let someone get more than a series into the season without playing. 
that said you don’t have to hit Goodrum 3rd for any reason under the sun. 

30 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I think it’s this. Since the time I was a little boy it seems like baseball protocol not to let someone get more than a series into the season without playing. 
that said you don’t have to hit Goodrum 3rd for any reason under the sun. 

Correct, you can give guys rest, but not think the lineup is plug and play. Just because you are resting Bregman, and he bats 3rd means the guy replacing him needs to bat 3rd. I am also fine with Brantley not playing very much against LHP.  Dusty on the post-game said he likes having his LF throw left-handed and his RF throwing right-handed.

Joe Maddon also said on the postgame that the Angels are right there with the Astros, despite losing the series 3-1 and being outscored by 10 runs.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

He's been lucky to manage some of the greatest individual talent in baseball history, but there is a reason he's never won in October.

Yeah, for the same reason he's never won as a manager in April, May, June, July, August, or September.....because he's standing in the dugout with a toothpick in his mouth while the guys who actually decide Ws and Ls are negotiating whose spotify playliste is getting played in the clubhouse after the game is over.

7 hours ago, Snacks said:

I'll tell you what analytics doesn't tell you (it probably does), but over 50 years in MLB does...

Limiting players in April, especially when there was almost no spring ball, is going to limit injuries in August and September.

This team does not need to go full throttle in April. I'm pretty sure sucking in April has been a ticket to the WS a time or two (correlation is causation, prove me wrong!)

Don't sweat the April lineup. Seriously.

This team is going to win the division and battle for the 1 seed if the pitching doesn't melt down.

Enjoy the ride.

^^^^^^^^^

You fucking twats whinging about lineups, jfc! Stfu.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Snacks said:

I'll tell you what analytics doesn't tell you (it probably does), but over 50 years in MLB does...

Limiting players in April, especially when there was almost no spring ball, is going to limit injuries in August and September.

This team does not need to go full throttle in April. I'm pretty sure sucking in April has been a ticket to the WS a time or two (correlation is causation, prove me wrong!)

Don't sweat the April lineup. Seriously.

This team is going to win the division and battle for the 1 seed if the pitching doesn't melt down.

Enjoy the ride.

Your rational discussion has no place in this thread. 

37 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Good practice for the one on Thursday as well.

I hate off days in baseball so so much.

My birthday (july 13) is typically during the all star break)- which is just interminable at 4 or sometimes 5 days now.

But, what is absolutely positively the worst of all is the 2 days off in a 4 day span.  It should be outlawed as a crime against humanity.  

• Hook 'Em 1

June and September both also have the 2 days off in 4 day thing going on (I guess technically in June it's 5- but that's my general point). June also has 3 Thursdays in a row off as well as 5 days off total to make it the worst month in the season.

We are cool May, you with your only 2 days off. We like you.