2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

They showed a stat on the broadcast earlier that I didn't expect despite keeping up with every single game. Astros relievers have a 1.86 ERA since May 1, best in the majors by a significant margin.

And that's with Taylor and Maton above 3.0  Stanek is at 1.06. Montero's ERA can't be seen without a microscope. Neris has a 0.67 WHIP (not a typo). Seth Martinez has pitched 11 scoreless with a sub-0.9 WHIP. Even our shaky closer is rocking a 2.77 ERA and 10/12 saves while he rounds back into form.

Edited by Storm the Field

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I like his K/BB ratio. It was much better than Taylor, but I would go get a vet lefty. The only thing we have to worry about is whether he got any VD from his time in Lubbock.

lot of shitty teams, who should we target ?

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Puk looked downright decent earlier this week. And the A’s would probably trade him for parking validation. 

Why would the A’s trade a cheap, controllable asset like Puk? They’d like a whole roster of guys like that. The same holds true for the aforementioned Mantiply for the Dbacks. 

Some random Astros thoughts on a Saturday morning:

That Yordan extension is a steal for Houston unless there’s some health concern that isn’t public knowledge.  Like the first Altuve extension was far and away Luhnow’s best move, this Yordan deal very well could end up being the best signing of Click’s tenure.  That move single-handedly extended the window.

i think unless Yuli is hiding an injury he’s toast.  I’m fine riding with him the rest of the season because of how important he’s been to the franchise and clubhouse but I don’t think they’ll make much effort to resign him.  And it might make sense to go grab a bench bat that crushes lefties to hide him a bit.  For now I’m ok testing out a Jones/Matijevic combo at 1B next season.

I’m getting very excited about Abreu.  Sitting 98 with his fb and has been extremely effective.  He is one more minor degree of improvement away from being an elite closer.  I’d like to see him get some high leverage opportunities now that the Astros have big division lead.  Montero, Neris, and Abreu have been money.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Also, not sure what’s going on with Maton, but he’s nowhere near the dominant guy we saw last playoffs.  His velo is down so I’m wondering if he’s hurt or if the slider the Astros made him start throwing is fuckin with him somehow.  Hopefully he gets back on track because he is a badass when he’s on.

Puk doesn’t make sense- he’s making nothing and has 5 years of club control left or something like that, and he’s got starter pedigree that they might try to unlock again down the road. They are probably at least 2 years and another failed experiment in starting or injury away from caring to move him. 
I mean, it’d be awesome more us, but we need that kind of guy that will be a FA in 2022 or 2023 to line up correctly with the trading away team I’d think. 

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

That Yordan extension is a steal for Houston unless there’s some health concern that isn’t public knowledge.  Like the first Altuve extension was far and away Luhnow’s best move, this Yordan deal very well could end up being the best signing of Click’s tenure.  That move single-handedly extended the window.

i think unless Yuli is hiding an injury he’s toast.  I’m fine riding with him the rest of the season because of how important he’s been to the franchise and clubhouse but I don’t think they’ll make much effort to resign him.  And it might make sense to go grab a bench bat that crushes lefties to hide him a bit.  For now I’m ok testing out a Jones/Matijevic combo at 1B next season.

I’m getting very excited about Abreu.  Sitting 98 with his fb and has been extremely effective.  He is one more minor degree of improvement away from being an elite closer.  I’d like to see him get some high leverage opportunities now that the Astros have big division lead.  Montero, Neris, and Abreu have been money.

I wouldn’t be mad at a Yuli IL stint. 

2 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

2-4 yesterday. Move him up in the order so he’s getting 4 at bats a game, maybe 5 

Edited by tx 3 putt

5 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Why would the A’s trade a cheap, controllable asset like Puk? They’d like a whole roster of guys like that. The same holds true for the aforementioned Mantiply for the Dbacks. 

Mantiply is 31. He may have years of team control, but he's not a prospect. Puk has a history of arm trouble and is no longer the same prospect he was 3 years ago, and likely can never be a starter anymore. He's 27, but he's not a guy you build around. Both guys should be attainable.

3 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Also, not sure what’s going on with Maton, but he’s nowhere near the dominant guy we saw last playoffs.  His velo is down so I’m wondering if he’s hurt or if the slider the Astros made him start throwing is fuckin with him somehow.  Hopefully he gets back on track because he is a badass when he’s on.

Maton is pitching to his career numbers. Last year's playoffs were an aberration. 

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Mantiply is 31. He may have years of team control, but he's not a prospect. Puk has a history of arm trouble and is no longer the same prospect he was 3 years ago, and likely can never be a starter anymore. He's 27, but he's not a guy you build around. Both guys should be attainable.

Lulz. Well I’m sold. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Maton is pitching to his career numbers. Last year's playoffs were an aberration. 

That’s fine, but I think the Maton we saw in last year’s playoffs was the guy Click thought he was trading Straw for.  Seems pretty clear they thought changing his pitch mix would result in a step up.

and the other blue crew let the Royals off the hook for doing it with a blown call on Yordan at 2nd..

Can't overturn it because of shitty camera angles.  one would think visibility to the bases would be a priority.  SMDH.

Edited by slorch