2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Not with his launch angle. His swing is fucked up, and he is unable at this point to fix it and is likely getting no help from either hitting coach.

LD% and Hard% are at career lows in healthy seasons.

Maybe. But here is how his current numbers compare to his best year (2019, 2022):

Hard Hit %: 38%; 37.6% 
AVG exit velo: 89.3; 89.1
Barrel %: 4.8%; 7%
xSLG: .453; .450

You’re right, his launch angle is higher this year (19.6 in 2019, 20.4 this year), but by the overall statcast numbers, he doesn’t look that different. I know these don’t tell you everything, but it seems he is due for some regression. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Hank Chinaski said:

Maybe. But here is how his current numbers compare to his best year (2019, 2022):

Hard Hit %: 38%; 37.6% 
AVG exit velo: 89.3; 89.1
Barrel %: 4.8%; 7%
xSLG: .453; .450

You’re right, his launch angle is higher this year (19.6 in 2019, 20.4 this year), but by the overall statcast numbers, he doesn’t look that different. I know these don’t tell you everything, but it seems he is due for some regression. 

He's also pulling the ball more, which likely means he's hitting into shifts, while basically ignoring the middle of the field, career low.

does anyone else watch on mlb.tv like i do?  i've had a really long day and the commercials i'm getting on this feed are driving me a special kind of crazy tonight holy shit.

are they regional?  i go back and forth between whether the actual commercials or the mlb ones are worse, but they're both bad and repeat over and over and over again and i feel like there's nobody i can talk to about it.

hey, jv with 11k.

• Hook 'Em 1

does anyone else watch on mlb.tv like i do?  i've had a really long day and the commercials i'm getting on this feed are driving me a special kind of crazy tonight holy shit.
are they regional?  i go back and forth between whether the actual commercials or the mlb ones are worse, but they're both bad and repeat over and over and over again and i feel like there's nobody i can talk to about it.
hey, jv with 11k.

I think there’s some type of regional flavor involved; maybe based on IP address?

I occasionally got to stream on FOB when I was deployed and all I usually got was a “commercial break in progress” notice with an occasional MLB highlight mixed in…it was glorious.

Conversely, my Dad streams .TV up north during summers and regularly complains about your same issue…I recall a new era cap ad in 2018 that they seemed to air during literally every single break; often more than once.

Seems to me a “commercial free” subscription option would be very popular; even at a significant $$$ premium.

2 minutes ago, Muny_Tex said:

Seems to me a “commercial free” subscription option would be very popular; even at a significant $$$ premium.

well i can mute it like a grownup, but i haven't been.  there's no money in the world that can speed me through an inning break if i want to stay live.

some commercial highlights:

-mlb's "your moment of zen" where they show something baseball related happening in slow motion.  in the rotation is the braves clinching the world series last year like are you fucking serious do you know what zen is?

-other assorted mlb commercials are almost all new york or la teams.  lots of cole, judge, stanton, mookie, etc.  haven't ever seen an astro on any of them.  uh, while i'm typing there's a dj lemahieu one come the fuck on.

-a commercial for "pretty woman - the musical" which i know is a regional spot because it's playing here at the pantages.  the first 40x i saw the commercial i was like this is the dumbest thing ever.  now i kinda want to see it.