2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

15 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Great question for the board. What would y'all do with the ball? Give it to him and say no trade item needed? What would you ask for? I'd ask for box seats to a future game, and a ball signed by JJ that said Mo Horn caught my first HR and traded this ball for it. 

I'd probably just give it to him like that dude who caught Yordan's first HR did. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

on sportscenter, they asked jj what he would've asked for (if he was the fan), and he said he would've wanted a bat.  then he said if the kid wants a signed bat, he's got one waiting for him.

The kid and most likely his dad are kind of assholes. Standard operating procedure is JJ signing a bat and a photo op. Dad treated it like Roger Maris' 61st home run ball. 

1 minute ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I've been out of touch for the last ten days or so, can someone catch me up on roster moves?  Meyers out with shoulder surgery? How long? Bielak up because Taylor injured? Pena injured? Matijevic up b/c Pena is on the DL?

Meyers is back in AAA and close to returning to the team. Taylor Jones is almost ready as well and the Astros will have to make roster decisions wrt to 40-man very soon. Pena is nursing a sore thumb (?) and Yordan dodged a bullet a couple of days ago when the team feared he may have suffered a broken hammate bone but the xrays came back negative and he is day to day right now. 

38 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The kid and most likely his dad are kind of assholes. Standard operating procedure is JJ signing a bat and a photo op. Dad treated it like Roger Maris' 61st home run ball. 

disagree 100%.

he’s a fan and wanted cool shit, and was offered cool shit that didn’t cost the team or player a thing. jj gets his ball and everybody wins. 

if he asked for $ then he’s an asshole. otherwise he’s just a fan. he didn’t hold the ball for ransom, the team approached him. on espn.

7 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

disagree 100%.

he’s a fan and wanted cool shit, and was offered cool shit that didn’t cost the team or player a thing. jj gets his ball and everybody wins. 

if he asked for $ then he’s an asshole. otherwise he’s just a fan. he didn’t hold the ball for ransom, the team approached him. on espn.

I generally agree with this, but feel like the kid should have at least requested something from JJ.  Just kind of feels dirty to not even acknowledge the reason this opportunity has fallen into your lap.  (It also feels very silly that this is still a topic of conversation 12+ hours later.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I generally agree with this, but feel like the kid should have at least requested something from JJ.  Just kind of feels dirty to not even acknowledge the reason this opportunity has fallen into your lap.  (It also feels very silly that this is still a topic of conversation 12+ hours later.)

ah, fuck it, it's an off day.  i agree it should involve jj, and there should be a photo-op with the 2 of them during batting practice.  but let's be real - this isn't springer, correa, bregman, tucker, yordan, or any of the big astros we saw debut and were wetting our pants about.  that is different.  i would love a framed photo with me and jj with me holding the ball (if i was 16).

memorabilia comes cheap to the team and the players, and it's a great pr opportunity to reward a fan with cool shit like tickets, or stuff most people will never experience, like batting practice access.  the jersey was what he wanted, and i'm sure as soon as jv found that out (and heard they said no), he was like, "go get me a fucking jersey and a sharpie are you serious right now?"

the astros (and every mlb team) wants the message to be, "come out to the ballpark, you never know what cool shit will happen when you experience the game in person, with your family, etc, etc".  it was summed up perfectly last night on twitter.  someone said, "just give jj the ball, the astros aren't obligated to give you anything."  and someone responded, "i don't think that's an option."  it isn't.  the astros, like any other team, will reward that lucky catch/bounce with a few mementos, because it's a fucking game and the game needs the fans, not the other way around.

back in the day with sosa and mcgwire and the bonds nonsense, and it was all about selling the ball for big $, giving the ball to the player, having the ball go to cooperstown - those are all completely different situations than this.  kid caught the ball, jj wanted it, because it's virtually worthless to everyone except him and his family.  he was gonna end up with the ball.  it was espn that tried to turn him into scott boras because they wouldn't know a compelling mlb storyline if it followed charlie steiner to freedom.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

I just think it is funny he go a jersey with "nice catch" inscription when he didn't catch diddly.  That ball ping ponged around and hit the guy in front of him and then was on the ground in the aisle so he ran over and picked it up.  

When I was a kid I got a Barry Bonds home run ball. The paper the next day said it was the ball that broke the father son HR record. We got excited, and called down the next day and said we had the record breaking ball, did they want to trade. They laughed. Although technically it was the record breaker, the record it broke was their own, because they’d passed whoever it was 4 day ago in Pittsburg and every HR bit was thus the record breaking ball. 
Thanks for nothing SF Chronicle. Still, have a Barry Bonds HR ball, which is cool. 
I didn’t catch it. They hit it under the bleachers and I ran down to get it. Security stopped me, they got booed, went down the stairs and grabbed it and gave it to me. 
Pretty cool- was on my 11th birthday I think. This was 91 or 92 before Bonds came to the giants when he was a visitor with the Pirates. 
We were going to ask for an autographed bat and jersey btw. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Bryan Abreu is having a hell of a season and has developed into one of the ‘Stros most dependable relievers.  3rd best ERA in the bullpen and has been nails as a middle relief pitcher.

He's our future closer. He's got nasty stuff. Though it was also good to see Pressly hitting 95 yesterday. Hopefully he is over with his physical ailments. Neris has been overworked and is starting to return to his mean. Martinez needs more work. Astros getting it done without a lefty in the pen again, but not having one in 2019 cost us the WS.

40 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

He's our future closer. He's got nasty stuff. Though it was also good to see Pressly hitting 95 yesterday. Hopefully he is over with his physical ailments. Neris has been overworked and is starting to return to his mean. Martinez needs more work. Astros getting it done without a lefty in the pen again, but not having one in 2019 cost us the WS.

Earlier in the season you asked for Neris to be the closer over Pressly

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rvm96 said:

Earlier in the season you asked for Neris to be the closer over Pressly

Neris has better WAR, WHIP, K/9, BB/9, FIP, xFIP, while their HR/9 and xERA are very close. Dusty has overused Neris in the 1st half, a lot of it having to do with Pressly's early season injuries. Just because it was good to see Pressly hitting 95, doesn't mean I want him as a closer.