2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

This is why we only have 1 WS title, and it took a Herculean effort from Springer to deliver it. We have never been a quality offensive team in clutch situations, and our bullpen management and desire to pitch to other team's best hitters when our guys get walked all the time is beyond retarded.

• Rage+1 1

There are times when you wonder if a decorated manager who's spent a lifetime in MLB literally understands the basic tenets of the game. Thursday night was one of those times; this afternoon was another.

A split would have suited me fine before the first pitch of the first game. But had you told me we'd have a 3-0 lead before an out had been recorded Thursday, and that we'd later hold them hitless for nearly two full games, I'd have expected way better than a draw. 

3 minutes ago, wood said:

Who was up after the lefty? It's 2 outs and the only runner that mattered was on 3rd. He could put 'em both on.

Nope. There were runners on 1st and 3rd.

You take your shot with Martinez and Rizzo, and not Martinez and Judge.

Dusty managed a sweep into a split.

Just now, runthebone said:

The Yankees are good at comebacks, the results are bad losses but whatever.  The point of these NY series was that it would show what we need for the playoffs, so Click better go fucking get it. 

A new manager ain't walking through the door this season.

• Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

You're really blaming Dusty before the bullpen????????

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Ah, ok. It was a little busy here when the shit was going down. Yeah, it seems like there are better options there than pitching to Judge.

Edited by wood

2 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

You're really blaming Dusty before the bullpen????????

Yes, because Dusty controls who pitches and to whom they pitch. Dusty controls keeping the best hitter on our team out of the game, and then subs him incorrectly into a position where he will only get 1 AB and the Yankees will walk him.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 3

Just now, UTexasFight said:

How about Altuve first pitch of the game home run Judge last pitch of the game home run 

as a pure baseball fan that was pretty awesome
As an Astros fan just glad it’s late June and not late October 

A split in the Bronx against this Yankee team is fine.

How it went down in the two losses really sucks.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, TonyTexas said:

Some of y’all have the rare combination of Alzheimer’s and ADHD. The bullpen, for the most part, has been outstanding this season. 

I agree, but they also walked a lot of people this weekend. People blaming Dusty for that are crazy. Yes he cod.hsve put Judge on both times but it shouldn't have gotten to that point.

Presley, Montero, Stanek, Nerris, Javier, Urquidy are your bullpen arms in October. If Javier stays in the starting rotation then that’s Luis Garcia instead of Javier. That’s plenty of fine to better than fine bullpen guys. It’s not a pressing need. A big bat at 1B is much more important, and a backup catcher that isn’t Castro. 

that’s an extremely small list of needs at the deadline. Seriously, nothing is fucked- this team is excellent (on pace for 102 wins) and unless Meyers is shit (I don’t think he will be but we’ve got 6 weeks to find out) we are only missing a bat at 1B from being as good as any team we’ve had other than the 2019 team. That 2019 team was probably one of the best 25 teams in Major League Baseball history. Sometimes it doesn’t go your way in a best 4 out of 7. 

If we choose not to hit the layup that is adding a quality bat at 1B then we can be pissed at management. Otherwise, we will have put ourselves in the best position possible to succeed and all that’s left is to roll the dice and hope they come up our way. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, wood said:

I get that Yuli has had a bad season so far at the plate, but imho it's just a bit soon to throw in the towel on last year's AL batting champ. 

I felt the same way for all lot of the season but we’re almost at the halfway point and he’s shown so few flashes that’s my confidence has plummeted. And I’m not sure that Click is going to do anything about it. 

Edited by TonyTexas

Great series by Astros starting pitching.  Yankees exploited some weaknesses, and that's what winning teams do.

I hate the Yankee fans, but holy shit those games were fun.

Maybe more fun on Thursday with JV vs Cole at the Juice Box?  Maybe...

30 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Presley, Montero, Stanek, Nerris, Javier, Urquidy are your bullpen arms in October. If Javier stays in the starting rotation then that’s Luis Garcia instead of Javier. That’s plenty of fine to better than fine bullpen guys. It’s not a pressing need. A big bat at 1B is much more important, and a backup catcher that isn’t Castro. 

that’s an extremely small list of needs at the deadline. Seriously, nothing is fucked- this team is excellent (on pace for 102 wins) and unless Meyers is shit (I don’t think he will be but we’ve got 6 weeks to find out) we are only missing a bat at 1B from being as good as any team we’ve had other than the 2019 team. That 2019 team was probably one of the best 25 teams in Major League Baseball history. Sometimes it doesn’t go your way in a best 4 out of 7. 

If we choose not to hit the layup that is adding a quality bat at 1B then we can be pissed at management. Otherwise, we will have put ourselves in the best position possible to succeed and all that’s left is to roll the dice and hope they come up our way. 

Both teams had their few flaws exposed this weekend. That said, I'd rather be Houston looking to rent a bat or two than NY trying to solve our starting pitching. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I felt the same way for all lot of the season but we’re almost at the halfway point and he’s shown so few flashes that’s my confidence has plummeted. And I’m not sure that Click is going to do anything about it. 

I don’t have the highest confidence in click on this site. Even I have total confidence he’s going to do something about 1B at the deadline absent Yuli going on an extreme heater between now and 8/3/22. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Has Urquidy ever pitched out of the bullpen?

18 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Best I can tell, since McTaggart's mic doesn't work past 3 inches, Dusty would rather pitch to this guy:

rawImage.jpg

than this guy:

midnight-cowboy-dustin-hoffman.gif

because the bases would be loaded after the Judge walk (didn't want to walk in the winner.)

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Hook 'Em 1