2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

I think I've heard Pena has statistically had a better year than Correa

I don't hate Correa.

I'm glad Pena is an Astro!

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Keep Pena in the 2 hole, even when Brantley gets back. There is no reason to have him batting 7th anymore.

The bottom of the order hit well this series.  The only reason I like him late is that it keeps the foot on the pitcher's throat.

There is no "easy part" of the lineup right now.

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

I think I've heard Pena has statistically had a better year than Correa

That’s not true on a rate basis-  not sure on a counting basis as Correa has missed a fair bit of games. as of this morning Correa was at 826 ops- Peña was sub 800. Don’t know where it sits now. 
Peña’s counting slightly higher in more PA’s. Correa is top 5 in biggest jump in barrel percentage from April to now. He struggled mightily in April and has been excellent, when he’s played since then. 
None of this is to disparage Peña in any way. Today was very nice. Peña had been in a pretty big slump and just almost singlehandedly won this game for us offensively. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Keep Pena in the 2 hole, even when Brantley gets back. There is no reason to have him batting 7th anymore.

The ideal lineup is Altuve-Pena-Alvarez-Bregman-Tucker-Brantley-Meyers-Gurriel-Maldonado.

Love yours. I slightly prefer this one:

Altuve, Alvarez, Peña, Tucker, Bregman, Brantley, Meyers, Yuli, Maldonado. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The ideal lineup is Altuve-Pena-Alvarez-Bregman-Tucker-Brantley-Meyers-Gurriel-Maldonado.

Show me a loss

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Love yours. I slightly prefer this one:

Altuve, Alvarez, Peña, Tucker, Bregman, Brantley, Meyers, Yuli, Maldonado. 

Mine is Alvarez Alvarez Alvarez Alvarez Alvarez Alvarez Alvarez Alvarez Alvarez

Just need one of those special one-person rules enacted

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Hammerin Hank said:

There’s just so many good options it’s hard to make a definitive argument one way or the other. Love this lineup 

It shouldn’t be hard to make a definitive argument one way or another. I have to think they easily have the technology and the modeling to run through every lineup 1,000,000 times in a simulation and get the optimized lineup.  That would be definitive. I don’t think it will ever happen with Dusty. He seems to have total control over the lineup. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I think that is the second start in a row that Framber had had an issue with calls and got a little perturbed. But he seems to channel it into bearing down and striking people out. He’s gonna be a mainstay for years to come. That mental and intestinal fortitude is special. I like the cut of his jib.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

line ups vary on the Astro pitcher / opposing pitcher / who’s starting. those analytics are different every game 

Right. You could literally run for every combination out there. I imagine it would take an intern roughly 30 whole minutes to do every permutation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It shouldn’t be hard to make a definitive argument one way or another. I have to think they easily have the technology and the modeling to run through every lineup 1,000,000 times in a simulation and get the optimized lineup.  That would be definitive. I don’t think it will ever happen with Dusty. He seems to have total control over the lineup. 

How would you ever factor marketing new sauces and seasonings into a computer  simulation of baseball outcomes?

• Haha 2

Wild how the Astros keep prolonging our window. It’s hard for me to see the big drop off.

You’d think we are spending like the Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox or Mets. We spend fine, but not in their league.

If you told me three years that fuckin Frambler, Luis Garcia and Javier would be mowing down the MLB and that Correa would get dropped with minimal/no drop off, I wouldn’t believe it. Poor Urquidy is a fine MLB pitcher but he’s about to get rolled for Odo

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, WBT said:

No idea, I'd still rather have Correa in a heartbeat.

Peña has some large shoes to fill in the post season which is the only time that matters with this team. He’s been way better than we could have hoped for for only 1/50th of the cost so absolutely no complaints, but nobody should get it twisted- Correa is still definitely the better player. 

• Like 1