2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

and yet, he had to burn Montero. So, it wasn't about saving bullpen arms. It was about being greedy when you had 3 rested options for the 9th. Including 1 that is about to be sent back down once Pressly comes back from maternity leave.

You wanted Mushinski to pitch in that situation over Bielak and Montero, who had already been up and warming in both games?

Some of you dipshits just can't help yourselves when it comes to hating on Dusty Baker.

6 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

You wanted Mushinski to pitch in that situation over Bielak and Montero, who had already been up and warming in both games?

Some of you dipshits just can't help yourselves when it comes to hating on Dusty Baker.

This is why people should not worry about results and be mad when it’s a decision made with a bad process. 
I’m fairly sure Dusty knew he was taking a calculated risk and if it went against him he had Montero ready to get two outs. I don’t think he thought through the Alvarez deal in game 1. 
both worked out. 
great day. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

This is why people should not worry about results and be mad when it’s a decision made with a bad process. 
I’m fairly sure Dusty knew he was taking a calculated risk and if it went against him he had Montero ready to get two outs. I don’t think he thought through the Alvarez deal in game 1. 
both worked out. 
great day. 

Montero threw 8 pitches game 1. Either the pitching coach asked if he was good to go again game 2 or he told them he was good to go again. Y’all idiots are reading way to much into it 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Montero threw 8 pitches game 1. Either the pitching coach asked if he was good to go again game 2 or he told them he was good to go again. Y’all idiots are reading way to much into it 

You aren’t even remotely getting close to what I’m saying with this response. 
I didn’t complain about anything in Game 2. I said it was a calculated risk that could have gone either way and his process was fine. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

That sucked because I hate the Yankees but in another reality it would not suck to watch Judge terrorize the Crawford Boxes 82 games a year. 

Now back to fuck Judge and fuck the Yankees.

What is it with the damn 9th innings?!

Why do people say this about big power hitters? They don't need short porches to their pull side, they need them the opposite side (see Alvarez's home run today). Judge gets plenty of help from those cheap right-to-right-center home runs in the new Yankee stadium. When he launches one to left he doesn't need the Crawford boxes. Only spray chart I could quickly find for him was 2019:

image.png.473fef88f32847a45d3af9aa5269ab55.png

Notice all the line drives and grounders to the left side and the higher percentage of fly balls to right. When he hits a home run to left it's usually a no-doubter like tonight.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

It worked out. That's what matters most.

Bielak should have been done after the 8th.

But feel free to disagree.

Ok I disagree. Strongly.

Damn five run lead with three more outs to go and no need to use another bullpen arm if you can avoid it. Bielak had three 2022 ML appearances before this one, two of which were 3 inning middle relief roles and his line for the year going into this game was 7 IP 5 H 1 ER 6 K 2 BB with a 1.00 WHIP. Literally the worst possible scenario happened with Judge at the plate, but it didn't make a shit because Dusty still had room to maneuver and close it out with Montero. 

10 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Why do people say this about big power hitters? They don't need short porches to their pull side, they need them the opposite side (see Alvarez's home run today). Judge gets plenty of help from those cheap right-to-right-center home runs in the new Yankee stadium. When he launches one to left he doesn't need the Crawford boxes. Only spray chart I could quickly find for him was 2019:

image.png.473fef88f32847a45d3af9aa5269ab55.png

Notice all the line drives and grounders to the left side and the higher percentage of fly balls to right. When he hits a home run to left it's usually a no-doubter like tonight.

Yeah I remember when Enron Field opened they thought Bagwell was going to hit 80 hr because of the Crawford Boxes even though he was a right handed hitter.   He did hit his career high that season but as stated the Crawford Boxes help lefties out which is why Yordan & Tucker are perfect for the Astros. Also why Soto would be a good choice as he too would benefit.  Bell is a switch hitter so just depends on the pitcher he's facing.

7 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Ok I disagree. Strongly.

Damn five run lead with three more outs to go and no need to use another bullpen arm if you can avoid it. Bielak had three 2022 ML appearances before this one, two of which were 3 inning middle relief roles and his line for the year going into this game was 7 IP 5 H 1 ER 6 K 2 BB with a 1.00 WHIP. Literally the worst possible scenario happened with Judge at the plate, but it didn't make a shit because Dusty still had room to maneuver and close it out with Montero.

Bielak kicked ass today but he also could have hung his hat on 3 shutout innings pitched had he not been sent out there.  We can argue the semantics but I probably would have sent out Abreu even though he got his ass kicked in Anaheim before the break.

1 minute ago, WBT said:

The Yankees hit .151 as a team vs the Astros over the season series.  That's barely above the Maldonado line!

What are the splits innings 1-8 vs 9 on that?

6 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

"I understand it's a big story," he said. "I understand the season we're in. It's not going to matter unless (it's) October. If we happen to come back here in October we're going to show up. We're going to expect to win. We think we're really good. They're really good. Don't overstate this."

Sad Cry Baby GIF by Bristol City FC