2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

What’s really funny was after they got utterly dominated yesterday for 8 innings before making things a little interesting on our fifth best reliever, they got all chesty in Mariners world and went full aggy talking about how they were 6’inches away, blah blah blah. 
does anyone want to tell them that we are up 2-0 in this series and we’ve got exactly 2 outs from one of our top 4 leverage guys from the arm barn? 

8 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Just a great win. JV was clutch, particularly with the short bullpen. 

For all you armchair GMs  out there( looking at you Wulaw). Do you give JV 3yrs/$100M? You know he’s opting out of his $25M deal for 2023. 

Maybe he'll be willing to work off some of that $60M he made for 1 game in 2020-2021...yeah right 

6 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

For all you armchair GMs  out there( looking at you Wulaw). Do you give JV 3yrs/$100M? You know he’s opting out of his $25M deal for 2023. 

Absolutely. I’d offer 3/90 with a vesting option for a 4th at another 25 million. I’d go up to 100 million with no vesting option. I don’t think I could go to 3/110. 
I’d assume if he goes 1 year he’d want something like 38 or 40. I’d rather have him at 3 years with the lower AAV then the 1/40, but you could do the 1/40 if he wanted it (and that may be Crane’s preference) but it would mean you only have about 15 million to fill LF/1B next year. 
Just further illustrates Odo has got to go at the deadline. Every 6 million matters next year on the payroll.  

3 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Maybe he'll be willing to work off some of that $60M he made for 1 game in 2020-2021...yeah right 

Crane had that insured I heard/read so he can’t be too upset about how that all worked out. I mean, other than it maybe costing us 2 World Series. 

18 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

What’s really funny was after they got utterly dominated yesterday for 8 innings before making things a little interesting on our fifth best reliever, they got all chesty in Mariners world and went full aggy talking about how they were 6’inches away, blah blah blah. 
does anyone want to tell them that we are up 2-0 in this series and we’ve got exactly 2 outs from one of our top 4 leverage guys from the arm barn? 

Is Neris not a top 4 leverage reliever for the Astros?

4 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

Is Neris not a top 4 leverage reliever for the Astros?

Missed him yesterday. Was hanging out with the wife and drinking, and watching with the sound off/in and out. Ok we’ve got 2 outs from our top 3 leverage arms so far. 
The point is, they were all excited about how close the game was, and the only reason it was close is because we were missing the top part of our bullpen and playing them with 1 hand tied behind our back. 
If this was a playoff situation none of the guys (absent Stanek for 2 outs) would have pitched in the first 2 games imo. 
Stanek/Montero/Presley yesterday 

Montero/Presley today. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Missed him yesterday. Was hanging out with the wife and drinking, and watching with the sound off/in and out. Ok we’ve got 2 outs from our top 3 leverage arms so far. 
The point is, they were all excited about how close the game was, and the only reason it was close is because we were missing the top part of our bullpen and playing them with 1 hand tied behind our back. 
If this was a playoff situation none of the guys (absent Stanek for 2 outs) would have pitched in the first 2 games imo. 
Stanek/Montero/Presley yesterday 

Montero/Presley today. 

Not to keep breaking your balls but I would have Neris higher on the leverage chart than Stanek just based on how Dusty uses them. Neris has 18 holds compared to Stanek with 10.

40 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

That would be a bargain.  

43 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

Not to keep breaking your balls but I would have Neris higher on the leverage chart than Stanek just based on how Dusty uses them. Neris has 18 holds compared to Stanek with 10.

Fair. The numbers say that shouldn’t be the case and it’s really fucking hard for me not to consider the guy that has gone 25 or 26 scoreless in a row as better than Nerris, but you could argue that by usage. 
I wonder what the last 4-6 weeks has looked like?  Nerris was getting the ball seemingly every day early in the year but it feels like Stanek has surpassed him. I know Montero has- and he was definitely behind Nerris (and maybe Maton) in the early season pecking order. 
If it’s me my bullpen usage in order would be:

Pressly, Montero, Stanek, Nerris, Martinez, Abreu,  Maton. 
In the playoffs when we go from 6 starters to 4, and 13 pitchers to 12 that bullpen becomes no weak link anywhere with 2 starters joining up and Marrinez, Abreu and Maton not even having a spot. Definition of no weak links 1-12 on the roster. It’s crazy. Other teams might have more top end fire power, but 1) just barely and 2) not likely as much depth. Unless the Dodgers get completely healthy. They could go 1-12 with us I guess. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

23 minutes ago, runthebone said:

At what point would he go into the Hall as an Astro?  5 more years with another CY?

He’d still have more numbers with the Tigers, but if he added another ring and another cy young then it would be something like 55 or 60% of his wins and strike outs with Detroit, 2 cy young’s each place and 2 rings with the Astros vs 0 with the tigers. Add in the recency bias and I think that makes him an Astro inductee if he ends his career here and does what you said. 

• Hook 'Em 1