2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I don't understand how the platoon thing works.  You can only play one guy at a time.

The trendlines make this trading deadline crazy.  I was ready to say Yuli was done, then he goes out and has a really good month.  Playing for his life?  Regardless, makes it hard to give up a bunch of value to replace a guy who is showing signs of life.  Same for CF.  Meyers sucking, but Chas making a bid to be the every day guy.  Based on today, assuming Brantley is out, I'd get an OF bat, Ian Happ maybe, and a backup catcher - Contreras or Vasquez - so we can pinch hit for Maldy when we really need a run in the playoffs.  Just for morale's sake, I hope the FO does something, anything to upgrade the roster at least a little bit.

Platoon is very simple. You play the guy that can hit lefties against lefties, and the guy that can hit righties against righties. 

2 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

What if our aging, overweight catcher goes down with injury?

Perhaps I'm paranoid based on all of the 2009 season thinking Mack should have given our true freshman backup qb more game time in all those blowouts instead of padding Colt's stats.  Maldy ain't Colt, but gotta plan for potential key injuries if you have the resources and opportunity to.

We'll play our other catcher who can't hit.  How ever could we replace a guy at 0.0 fWAR and -0.3 bWAR?

Edited by WBT

24 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Y'all sure do put a lot of faith in an asswipe who has yet to make a substantive move in the trade market.

He traded Straw away and got a great C prospect along with Maton from Cleveland and also traded Toro for Graveman and Montero.

Edited by Gourmand
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

Found it, the Alvarez pitcher cost the Dodgers $32 million to sign including $16 million in fees.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-yordan-alvarez-dodgers-cuban-signings-mistakes-astros-20190706-story.html

that article is pure gold and a reminder that sometimes the best move is not making a move. 

fields had 7ish era, wtf were they thinking. Then gave up two hr’s to the Astros in the playoffs 😂😂😂