2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

no idea, but as is we have an improved roster 

No doubt about it.

Click addressed depth at first base, outfield, and catcher while adding a lefty reliever and he made all those moves without giving up any of our core starters or top prospects who could contribute sooner rather than later.

• Hook 'Em 2

Prudent moves, all.  Nothing Earth-shattering.  My concern is that we basically just replaced Brantley with Mancini.  That's fine and needed to be done if they know Brantley ain't coming back or even just as insurance.  But we still have a pretty big hole in CF.  You can't have All Stars at every position, I guess.

Give this a B if this is the end of it. Made 2 marginal improvements and got rid of Odo’s salary for next year without giving up anything too terribly expensive. 
feel like this is 1 bat short (impact bat) from being an A, but that was going to require moving a Urquidy, Garcia or Javier which has its downsides, obviously. 
Feels like we left some powder. Oh well. 

22 minutes ago, WBT said:

Montas is a big get for them though

On paper, no doubt. Might well turn out to be a great trade. But for a guy who has never had much time on the mound in the playoffs, being counted on heavily by the Yankees, their lunatic fanbase and a meatgrinder media corps might not be a seamless transition.

1 minute ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Vazquez either has the personality of a wet sock or he still isn’t happy to be traded here. He needs to shake it off. Mentioned going back to Boston this winter. Fine bitch, how about take a ring with you though. 

yep I was already predisposed to not like him because Baahstin, but he's not exactly winning over hearts and minds with his press conference today.

34 minutes ago, WBT said:

Montas is a big get for them though

eh, their pitching that seemed flawless in the 1h has been taking a dump lately.  nestor has (predictably) come back to life, cole has looked plenty hittable, and severino is, well, severino.  montas is a serviceable sp2 for them that doesn't scare me at all.

they need to add some bullpen pieces.  at least that's what i would want if i was a yankees fan.

Vazquez either has the personality of a wet sock or he still isn’t happy to be traded here. He needs to shake it off. Mentioned going back to Boston this winter. Fine bitch, how about take a ring with you though. 

Yeah I saw him during the pregame last night and he was pissed. Sounded like they had a tight clubhouse and wanted to work through it as a team

That and it going down right before the game in Houston added to it being weird

He should get over it and get excited to start winning. At least he better

Didn't have a problem with how Vasquez approached the PC. He just seemed more subdued and businesslike. Unlike Mancini he's actually won a title and experienced success. He's also now playing for a team they directly competed against for titles. He's also been with Boston a LONG time and this happens while we are playing them. It's incredibly awkward and he's handling it fine. 

Mancini, on the other hand, has had to come back from some pretty severe personal adversity (and playing for a shitty team) and now has a shot at a ring he thought he'd never get. So of course his response is different. 

Just MHO.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Makes me wonder if we waited to announce it because we were worried it would drive up the cost of a trade for a catcher. If that's the case, I wonder if they are doing something similar with Brantley.

Ding

and

Ding.

But have a feeling these things have a way of trickling out to other interested parties so not sure I buy how much the cost is suppressed by keeping this kind of stuff from being officially announced 

The Yordan experiment in left field needs to be over. He’s banging enough foul balls off his knees without adding more potential issues. Diaz or Mancini or McCormick can play LF. Diaz doesn’t need to DH. What is that? Yordan is DH except when he isn’t.  Sometimes I think Dusty puts names in a hat. 

Maybe he should be spending his time getting to know his current teammates  

We have a pretty veteran clubhouse. He’ll get the hint real quick. Boston was on a fast train to nowhere this year. He’s on a AL championship contending team now. If that doesn’t excite him then he’s playing for the wrong reasons.

4 minutes ago, Tommy Nobis said:

We have a pretty veteran clubhouse. He’ll get the hint real quick. Boston was on a fast train to nowhere this year. He’s on a AL championship contending team now. If that doesn’t excite him then he’s playing for the wrong reasons.

he can also continue to hate the yankees and be in a position to actually do something about it.  then he can do whatever he wants in the offseason which is what he was gonna do anyway.

Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

Always amazed at how people bitch about dusty who’s on pace for 104 wins this year. Yet the same people neg anyone who questions 5-7 sark who hasn’t done dick yet. 

And will never do dick 

A baseball game can play out a million different ways, leads to always questioning the manager