2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Urquidy is my favorite Astro not named Altuve.  I would have understood the 'why' if he had been traded, but am glad he is still in Houston.  I enjoyed Blummer talking about Altuve giving him so much shit about getting trading that it actually carried on past the trade deadline, and Altuve was still fucking with him that he was gone.

LFG!!!

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Dubon has no business playing ahead of Chas. He’s ass, my dude. Dusty hates him some Chas for whatever reason. 

Dubon is not making anyone take notice for sure but he seems solid enough to hit .230-.250 and give you mostly quality ABs.  I’ll give you Chas against lefties I suppose.  

11 minutes ago, Amos Moses said:

Dubon is not making anyone take notice for sure but he seems solid enough to hit .230-.250 and give you mostly quality ABs.  I’ll give you Chas against lefties I suppose.  

The problem is his 230-250 Comes with no power and no obp to speak of so it’s really a drag.  I mean- I would give us as much as Jake has been at the plate lately, but Dubon is no long term answer. 

36 minutes ago, Amos Moses said:

You’re trading over 100 points away in OPS for those “mostly quality ABs.” And McCormick ironically has a higher batting average too. He’s even been better against righties, not because he’s been good, but because Dubon is such an anemic hitter.

This is not particularly close.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Dubon will be on the playoff roster, he needs the at bats. Will it be chas or Jake for a roster spot ?

Even with their reluctance to just go ahead and play McCormick in CF, they’re not going to leave a better than league average bat at home.

But given that you’ll have fewer pitchers, it’s likely both anyway.

Edited by formermav43
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, runthebone said:

Too bad Whitley didn't start his rehab a couple of days earlier so we could have traded him for Trout and Ohtani

[Jack] Dammit! [Bauer]

They did it on purpose. They could have pitched him last week but then the entire league would be clamoring for him. Click didn’t want to break their hearts. 

12 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The problem is his 230-250 Comes with no power and no obp to speak of so it’s really a drag.  I mean- I would give us as much as Jake has been at the plate lately, but Dubon is no long term answer. 

Dubon is a better option right now than Meyers, especially if paired with Mancini and Vazquez. So, you have a deeper lineup around him. McCormick should be playing against every LHP the Astros face. Meyers needs to go back to extended ST and work on plate discipline, otherwise he has no chance at becoming a MLB regular. Dubon has the same splits as McCormick against LHP. They should likely both play, but Diaz is hot, and even though his career splits against LHP is awful, Dusty doesn't give a shit.

LHP - Altuve, Pena, Alvarez, Bregman, Tucker, Mancini, McCormick, Vazquez, Dubon 

RHP - Altuve, Gurriel, Alvarez, Bregman, Tucker, Mancini, Diaz, Pena, Maldonado

I guess Tucker will need to play CF against RHP if you want to maximize the lineups.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, WBT said:

It never made sense to trade any of our cheap starters.

I mean- if you could have gotten a similarly talented CF (or maybe even 1B)for fair value it would make sense, but absent some other team giving you fair value in a surplus for surplus situation yeah- you are right. No sense doing it for the sake of doing it. 

16 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Dubon is a better option right now than Meyers, especially if paired with Mancini and Vazquez. So, you have a deeper lineup around him. McCormick should be playing against every LHP the Astros face. Meyers needs to go back to extended ST and work on plate discipline, otherwise he has no chance at becoming a MLB regular. Dubon has the same splits as McCormick against LHP. They should likely both play, but Diaz is hot, and even though his career splits against LHP is awful, Dusty doesn't give a shit.

LHP - Altuve, Pena, Alvarez, Bregman, Tucker, Mancini, McCormick, Vazquez, Dubon 

RHP - Altuve, Gurriel, Alvarez, Bregman, Tucker, Mancini, Diaz, Pena, Maldonado

I guess Tucker will need to play CF against RHP if you want to maximize the lineups.

Gurriel should be playing vs lefties. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Dubon ideally shouldn’t start against RHP ever, let alone being the platoon partner against them. His numbers are FAR worse than McCormick’s, both this season and career. 

He’s a valuable sub who can play multiple positions and should get starts a couple of times a week to keep guys fresh. That’s it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Best lineup (offensive) v LHP 

Altuve, Yordan (DH), Bregman, Tucker, Mancini (lf), Peña, Chas (CF), Yuli (1B), Vazquez  

best lineup v RHP-

same except for Diaz at 1B.  Career Diaz is a 106 ops plus guy v RHP and 86 v LHP.  Don’t look at platoon stats for the year- go career for bigger sample  

Chas stays in vs RHP unless Meyers can unfuck himself between here and there. Meyers needs to be either in SL or in the complex in Florida for a solid month  

it wouldn’t be a huge shock to find out Meyers reinjured himself 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Best lineup (offensive) v LHP 

Altuve, Yordan (DH), Bregman, Tucker, Mancini (lf), Peña, Chas (CF), Yuli (1B), Vazquez  

best lineup v RHP-

same except for Diaz at 1B.  Career Diaz is a 106 ops plus guy v RHP and 86 v LHP.  Don’t look at platoon stats for the year- go career for bigger sample  

Chas stays in vs RHP unless Meyers can unfuck himself between here and there. Meyers needs to be either in SL or in the complex in Florida for a solid month  

it wouldn’t be a huge shock to find out Meyers reinjured himself 

Yep, this is right on. Except I’d probably put Diaz in LF and Mancini at 1B.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean- if you could have gotten a similarly talented CF (or maybe even 1B)for fair value it would make sense, but absent some other team giving you fair value in a surplus for surplus situation yeah- you are right. No sense doing it for the sake of doing it. 

Agree with the premise, but not sure that I agree with the notion that the Astros have that much surplus at SP, particularly after moving Odorizzi. McCullers may be back in ‘22, but how good will he be? How much work load will he be able to handle? Seems like a question mark to me. 

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Agree with the premise, but not sure that I agree with the notion that the Astros have that much surplus at SP, particularly after moving Odorizzi. McCullers may be back in ‘22, but how good will he be? How much work load will he be able to handle? Seems like a question mark to me. 

22 doesn’t matter in the regular season anymore. Just need 4 in the post season. 
Brown, Bielak or Solomon would be fine as a 5th starter in the event LMJ wasn’t able to go, imo.  

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

22 doesn’t matter in the regular season anymore. Just need 4 in the post season. 
Brown, Bielak or Solomon would be fine as a 5th starter in the event LMJ wasn’t able to go, imo.  

I disagree that you only need 4 in the playoffs.  Depending on the effectiveness of McCullers and Brown, we'll be using 1-3 starters as piggybackers/multi-inning relievers in the playoffs.  I like that model much better than running out 4-5 one-inning guys every game where they tend to lose effectiveness over the course of the series.  That worked like a charm for us in '17 especially.  The more effective stretched out starters heading into the playoffs the better.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Dusty must have watched The Natural a bunch of times and treats the new guys like old Pops. 
“I ain’t gonna play him. Never.”

I can understand Maldy with Verlander but don’t understand Mancini not being in the lineup. Maybe I just like shiny new toys.

Maybe you just aren’t an idiot. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2