2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

The offense season goals should be

1) Resign Verlander

2) Sign as many of the young controlable pitchers to 4-5 year deals.

3) Trade whoever doesn't sign for a controlable position player at either 1B/C/CF.

Whitley takes the Singleton deal. MLBPA shits their pants. Wish it into existence Astros Future Twitter!

Hinch royally goat fucked the 2019 World Series by not following the 2014 Bruce Bochy/MadBum protocol.

Dusty was never going to win the 2020 world series with everyone slumping like crazy. In 2021 we just thoroughly got our asses kicked by the Braves.

If we get a healthy Brantley and McCullers Jr this October and he does or does not win it all I sincerely hope he retired and thabj him profusely for his contributions getting us through the maelstrom.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Did you ever think that the manager has to manage the clubhouse, and not just the games?

How do you think it would impact the team for Dusty to immediately bench two players who have been a large part of this team’s success for a long time and are well-liked in favor of two new arrivals?   Give it time and let Dusty work these guys in naturally.   

Sending Maldy and Yuli to go get their shine boxes on day 1-2 after these guys get here would not go over well. 

I’m sure Mancini and Vasquez get it and are just waiting for their opportunity to contribute to a winner.  

THIS GUY GETS IT. 

Yuli is washed. The batting him before Yordan gimmick will only work until teams make adjustments which they are currently making.

Maldy should only be catching Verlander. Vasquez is good and young enough to play 5 days a week.

If Chas is no go in center (but, why?), please call up Leon in September and see what you have. I mean play him every day as they pad a 20 game lead against the Mariners. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yuli is washed. The batting him before Yordan gimmick will only work until teams make adjustments which they are currently making.

He may be, but that remains to be seen and his body of work suggests the benefit of the doubt; regardless, they are going to give him a long runway for him to figure it out or Click/Dusty to shift to Mancini starting every game at first.

9 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

what's yuli hitting in the #2 spot ?

seems like yordan started slumping about the same time this move was made 

Batting Order Splits

Team
Lg
Type
PA
AB
R
H
2B
3B
HR
RBI
BB
SO
SB
CS
HBP
AVG
OBP
SLG
OPS
Houston Astros MLB Batting Second 30 29   11 4 0 0 2 0 3     1 .379 .400 .517 .917
Houston Astros MLB Batting Third 5 4   2 1 0 0 1 1 0     0 .500 .600 .750 1.350
Houston Astros MLB Batting Fourth 12 12   4 3 0 0 0 0 0     0 .333 .333 .583 .916
Houston Astros MLB Batting Fifth 208 193   35 11 0 3 12 12 29     2 .181 .236 .285 .521
Houston Astros MLB Batting Sixth 118 109   32 12 0 4 13 7 16     2 .294 .347 .514 .861
Houston Astros MLB Batting Seventh 1 1   1 0 0 0 1 0 0     0 1.000 1.000 1.000 2.000
Houston Astros MLB Batting Ninth 2 2   1 0 0 0

New toys aren’t always the answer.

Padres new bats did some stuff today, but they still lost because $100M Joe Musgrove shit the bed in his first start after signing that contract.  

It’s a simple game.  You throw the ball.  You hit the ball.  You catch the ball. 

Gotta do all three to win. 

6 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Batting Order Splits

Team
Lg
Type
PA
AB
R
H
2B
3B
HR
RBI
BB
SO
SB
CS
HBP
AVG
OBP
SLG
OPS
Houston Astros MLB Batting Second 30 29   11 4 0 0 2 0 3     1 .379 .400 .517 .917
Houston Astros MLB Batting Third 5 4   2 1 0 0 1 1 0     0 .500 .600 .750 1.350
Houston Astros MLB Batting Fourth 12 12   4 3 0 0 0 0 0     0 .333 .333 .583 .916
Houston Astros MLB Batting Fifth 208 193   35 11 0 3 12 12 29     2 .181 .236 .285 .521
Houston Astros MLB Batting Sixth 118 109   32 12 0 4 13 7 16     2 .294 .347 .514 .861
Houston Astros MLB Batting Seventh 1 1   1 0 0 0 1 0 0     0 1.000 1.000 1.000 2.000
Houston Astros MLB Batting Ninth 2 2   1 0 0 0

big GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Win no. 69 (cue the tired jokes). Let's go ahead and be the 3rd team to reach 70 tomorrow. 

Back up to 31 over .500, and on pace to finish the season 104-58.

Frankly, and this is kinda weird to say, but out of the last 5 dominant regular seasons we've put together (I'm not counting 2020), this one has felt a bit boring. I dunno, maybe it's not having a murderer's row offense of all-stars, or maybe it's the lack of any real divisional competition and that steamrolling our way to an AL West title has just become a yearly expectation. 

Sure, we've had some dramatic wins and frustrating losses, but mostly we just tend to go out there, pitch really well and win about 9 games for every 13 we play (.645). 

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

Did you ever think that the manager has to manage the clubhouse, and not just the games?

How do you think it would impact the team for Dusty to immediately bench two players who have been a large part of this team’s success for a long time and are well-liked in favor of two new arrivals?   Give it time and let Dusty work these guys in naturally.   

Sending Maldy and Yuli to go get their shine boxes on day 1-2 after these guys get here would not go over well. 

I’m sure Mancini and Vasquez get it and are just waiting for their opportunity to contribute to a winner.  

I wrote something almost exactly like this but didn’t post it during the game. For that reason, I think this is a brilliant thought. 😊 Seriously, I think there is something to it. I don’t think Maldy will ever be less than 50/50 split and if Mancini and Yuli split time at first it will become evident to all who should be starting. Easing the guys into the lineup and the locker room probably isn’t a bad way to approach it. And Mancini has said all the right things about fitting in. 

4 hours ago, Gourmand said:

psa for you streamers....i'm still having great success using expressvpn+MLB.Tv and surprisingly this year it works on my phone. Not sure if MLB is running a special price on MLBTV right now but as long as I can use it successfully, it is worth it for me. Also, it's a nice bonus being able to watch archived games or specific plays I want to watch replays of. 

Same for me with unlocator.

same on the phone which hasn’t been the case for me in last years 

and I do believe I saw a deal on mlb.tv for the rest of the year was something absurdly cheap 

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Cleveland broadcasters - most dominant lost of the season. astros looked like they were in another league

surly thread after being up 1-0 - fire and dfa everyone !!!!!

I'm sure the Cleveland announcers watch most/all the Astros games like we do. Somebody should tell them that Dusty is too stupid to play Chas over Meyers, so they shouldn't worry about him for the rest of the series.

Edited by dr99

Interesting quote from after today's game

“I wasn't pitching to get to 130 innings,” Verlander said after the game. “When we we were doing the contract, [Astros owner] Jim [Crane] told me they wanted 130 innings for my player option. I was asking for a straight player option and they said they’d like 130 innings, and that was that. I thought that was a very fair number the way I like to pitch.”

2 hours ago, WBT said:

Like Urquidy!

...or like Valdez, Javier, and Garcia who have all needed a calming veteran influence that Maldonado seems to excel at.

If Vazquez in-game combined with Maldonado pre-game and between innings is good enough, then we need Vazquez playing more.

I just don't know how good Vazquez is at running a game.

11 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

We had the bats in 19.  Didn’t win.  Had the bats last year.  Didn’t win.  Front to back, this is the best pitching staff we have had during this run.  I say let’s get to the tournament and see where the chips fall.  

Yeah, any 7-game series between good teams is going to be essentially a coin flip. The team with the better roster loses nearly half the time, because having a marginally better roster doesn’t mean much in a small handful of games. And it’s usually not due to managerial decisions. As much as Dusty drives me nuts with his lineups, that’s not why the team lost to ATL last year.

And we can talk all day long about Hinch pulling Greinke in G7, but the truth is that Harris’s pitch that Kendrick poked down the RF line was a good pitch; Kendrick hit something like .130 on low/outside pitches that entire season. That he so improbably hit that pitch for a HR doesn’t mean that Hinch cost the Astros that game. It was bad luck. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BornOrange said:

...or like Valdez, Javier, and Garcia who have all needed a calming veteran influence that Maldonado seems to excel at.

If Vazquez in-game combined with Maldonado pre-game and between innings is good enough, then we need Vazquez playing more.

I just don't know how good Vazquez is at running a game.

Some of you guys are acting like Vazquez just started catching this year. The dude has won a WS title as the primary catcher, has Maldonado? 

Maldonado is also worse at framing, throwing out baserunners, and preventing passed balls than Vazquez. To assume Maldonado is the only catcher that prepares is ridiculous. Maldonado and Gurriel are back up players at this point in their careers, and should get marginal playing time moving forward if the goal is to win a WS title.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

The lineup decisions are not based on a single goal:  to win today's game.  There are all kinds of factors.  Some days guys need rest.  Some guys need ABs, some guys need to be tested, some guys need to be tested against certain teams/pitchers for one reason or another. It could be a personality/fit thing or an acclimation thing. A lot of ins and outs and what have yous. These regular season games with a big division lead are less important, so they have some flexibility to experiment with some things; work on some things.  The lineup decision is about more than just that day's game.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Some of you guys are acting like Vazquez just started catching this year. The dude has won a WS title as the primary catcher, has Maldonado? 

Maldonado is also worse at framing, throwing out baserunners, and preventing passed balls than Vazquez. To assume Maldonado is the only catcher that prepares is ridiculous. Maldonado and Gurriel are back up players at this point in their careers, and should get marginal playing time moving forward if the goal is to win a WS title.

There is no excuse to not have Mancini out there every fucking game given he can play DH, 1B, and LF.  We do not have enough top flight hitters to keep him out of the lineup the only thing should be injury.

Vazquez should catch the majority of the games with Maldy coming in every few games to mitigate injury risks.

This should not be this difficult for people to see/figure out.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Sentiment around the Twitter sphere blue checks is someone will pick up Bradley as a defensive replacement 4th or 5th OF on a contender since he only costs league minimum. Thoughts? We did the same with Marisnick few years ago taking Brantley out. I have not followed other teams enough to know if Bradley can still play defense. He obviously doesn’t have much at the plate. 

48 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

It's been a whole three dang days since Mancini and Vazquez were traded for and activated and you Dusty Click bashers are losing your shit over daily lineups while the Astros keep on keepin on. They will get playing time. Chillax.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Sentiment around the Twitter sphere blue checks is someone will pick up Bradley as a defensive replacement 4th or 5th OF on a contender since he only costs league minimum. Thoughts? We did the same with Marisnick few years ago taking Brantley out. I have not followed other teams enough to know if Bradley can still play defense. He obviously doesn’t have much at the plate. 

He’s played more in RF this year and is actually a negative in DRS in CF. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

He is cooked. They have a good defensive cf in Meyers and traded away one in Siri. I don't think they are interested in Jackie Bradley Jr. 

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

He’s played more in RF this year and is actually a negative in DRS in CF. 

In 100 innings. Last year playing primarily in CF his DRS was 9 and his UZR and UZR/150 were both positive. I would take a chance on him but only against RHP. He's exceptionally bad against LHP, but then again most on this forum think that a guy that clearly can't throw the ball and is sporting a wRC+ of 66 with a BAbip of .323 is irreplaceable. 

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

then again most on this forum think that a guy that clearly can't throw the ball and is sporting a wRC+ of 66 with a BAbip of .323 is irreplaceable. 

who are you talking about? Meyers?

jfc dude none of us think he is irreplaceable or that he should even be starting every day until he gets his shit together and learns to make the necessary adjustments. I've long defended him and still think he has a MLB future (as does Click and the Astros organization) but right now Chas is outplaying him and deserves more at bats.  

30 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

In 100 innings. Last year playing primarily in CF his DRS was 9 and his UZR and UZR/150 were both positive.

Interesting that you don't apply that same logic to Yuli and his 2021 season.