2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

I am coming around to giving McCormick the CF job the rest of the season, last 25 games, .900 OPS with 14 BBs and a highly sustainable .327 BAbip (.311 career). Much better plate discipline leading to much better results.

I think they figured this dude out.

Again, the guy has a 113 wRC+ in the equivalent of a full season of PAs at the MLB level. He’s above 100 against lefties and righties. I agree, he should be playing most days at this point. 

8 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Espada pulls him too late. Then brings in Martinez in what is now a leverage situation   Get well Dusty!

I’d like to see Martinez get some leverage looks. He’s certainly pitched very very well this year. I know he got the 10th inning in that Yankees loss and almost stranded the ghost runner until judge walked it off with a HR. 
This is the kind of shit you can do with a 12 game lead in August. Not every leverage outing or anything, but maybe let him try his hand at protecting a lead once a week or so. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

19 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If the Astros manage to hold on here they will be 16 games over 500 since the start of 2010 and 7 games under as a franchise. 
Would love to end august as a winning franchise, crush it in September and never go back under 500. 

I'd been meaning to check on that.  I couldn't remember if we had a chance at .500 this year or would have to wait for 2023

Holmes is back to being the pitcher he was with Pittsburgh. Blew another save tonight. 5 ERs allowed in his last 2 appearances. Cortes carrying a nice 4.49 FIP and .456 SLG in his last 9 starts. Good thing they traded Jordan Montgomery.

1/2 game back.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

this team is still rounding into shape. getting uncle mike back would be huge. chas is showing great progress, pena is flattening out some. im loving our 3 pick ups, they improved this roster. stay healthy, get healthy and keep playing ball. keep that clubhouse loose 

• Hook 'Em 1

Hey, what’s the deal with several of you apparently thinking that a quality start is SEVEN innings and allowing three or fewer earned runs?

A quality start has always been SIX innings.

I may be reading it wrong, but several times in the last couple of weeks I see guys seemingly gripping about whether our pitcher will get through the 7th without giving up a 4th run. Just like tonight.

Seth Martinez getting out of that 7th inning jam had no effect on whether Framber got credited with a quality start. Framber already had it by getting through 6. Unless I totally missed something and they changed the definition this year.

I agree that it’s kind of a meaningless stat.

Edited by Victor Lazlo
  • Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Victor Lazlo said:

Hey, what’s the deal with several of you apparently thinking that a quality start is SEVEN innings and allowing three or fewer earned runs?

A quality start has always been SIX innings.

I may be reading it wrong, but several times in the last couple of weeks I see guys seemingly gripping about whether our pitcher will get through the 7th without giving up a 4th run. Just like tonight.

Seth Martinez getting out of that 7th inning jam had no effect on whether Framber got credited with a quality start. Framber already had it by getting through 6. Unless I totally missed something and they changed the definition this year.

I agree that it’s kind of a meaningless stat.

huh?

if the starter goes 7-8 and gives up 4, it’s not a qs. assuming that’s what you mean. 

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

his interviews are great. such a perfect fit for this team. he’s team-first and has a winning mindset which is crazy considering he spent a decade with the o’s. 

if he’s in for 2023 let’s fucking do it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

huh?

if the starter goes 7-8 and gives up 4, it’s not a qs. assuming that’s what you mean. 

Well, I’ll be damned.

I have always heard the definition of a quality start described as 6 innings with 3 or fewer runs. Thought that was a hard and fast definition. Didn’t know it could be lost later. Not that I paid that much attention to quality starts. Turns out I was missing something.

Mea culpa.

6 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Holmes is back to being the pitcher he was with Pittsburgh. Blew another save tonight. 5 ERs allowed in his last 2 appearances. Cortes carrying a nice 4.49 FIP and .456 SLG in his last 9 starts. Good thing they traded Jordan Montgomery.

1/2 game back.

Hey Yankees… choo choo motherfuckers. 

8 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

1/2 game back.

Clay Holmes? The guy Helo claimed had already taken his place among the pantheon of Yankee immortals? No way could the heir apparent to Mariano Rivera have come back to earth. I'll bet Nick Turturro is his usual giddy self. 

Assuming Diaz is ok, I bet Dusty gives Yordan the day off today to give Manicini DH duties with Diaz in left. Yordan is now trailing Judge in OPS by *thismuch* and needs to get out of his mini-slump. In his last seven games he's slashed .192/.290/.231 with 0 HR and 7 K. 

Edited by Gourmand