2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

I'm not really a Jake apologist. I think it's a matter of two things: 1) the baseball pros who are looking at him and evaluating him are using different criteria than we are, and 2) they don't really have an alternative, especially now with Leon being injured.  If he doesn't improve then I think they are going to have to roll with Chaz as their every day CF.

30 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I'm not really a Jake apologist. I think it's a matter of two things: 1) the baseball pros who are looking at him and evaluating him are using different criteria than we are, and 2) they don't really have an alternative, especially now with Leon being injured.  If he doesn't improve then I think they are going to have to roll with Chaz as their every day CF.

Chas in CF is perfectly acceptable to every number, and the eye test. Why they don’t roll with that for the rest of the year and that isn’t the plan in the playoffs if Brantley isn’t back I can’t even begin to comprehend. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Seasick Sailor said:

The chances of Brantley coming back appear to be getting slimmer by the day:

I had penciled him out of the Astros plans evermore in June when he tried to swing and couldn’t anymore. Sad. But probably accurate. 
just fucking roll with Chas the rest of the year in CF. He’s fine. And by far the best option. 

16 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Chas in CF is perfectly acceptable to every number, and the eye test. Why they don’t roll with that for the rest of the year and that isn’t the plan in the playoffs if Brantley isn’t back I can’t even begin to comprehend. 

They're not worrying about daily lineups like surly Astros or Astros Twitter. This team is built for October and the organization has that WS trophy as its guidepost., so we're going to see a lot of oddball lineups in August to get guys plenty of rest and others plenty of opportunities to play and stay sharp. Health and readiness is a big deal to Click and everyone on down the Astros tree.

The optimal lineups will be on display as we get close to the postseason. Keep racking up wins and let the fans bitch at each other about how terrible X is on a given day and how much better Y would be in his place if Dusty would just pull his head out of his ass. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

They're not worrying about daily lineups like surly Astros or Astros Twitter. This team is built for October and the organization has that WS trophy as its guidepost., so we're going to see a lot of oddball lineups in August to get guys plenty of rest and others plenty of opportunities to play and stay sharp. Health and readiness is a big deal to Click and everyone on down the Astros tree.

The optimal lineups will be on display as we get close to the postseason. Keep racking up wins and let the fans bitch at each other about how terrible X is on a given day and how much better Y would be in his place if Dusty would just pull his head out of his ass. 

I don’t mean every day in a literally sense- more like that as the default option. 

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I don’t mean every day in a literally sense- more like that as the default option. 

Agreed about Chas in CF and am confident he will be there down the stretch run and in October. But in the meantime, they aren't giving up on Meyers figuring some shit out and know that he can't figure it out by sitting on the bench. OTOH, if they send him back down to AAA, who replaces him?

1 minute ago, Gourmand said:

Agreed about Chas in CF and am confident he will be there down the stretch run and in October. But in the meantime, they aren't giving up on Meyers figuring some shit out and know that he can't figure it out by sitting on the bench. OTOH, if they send him back down to AAA, who replaces him?

I already covered that....Jake Marisnick 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I already covered that....Jake Marisnick 

Maybe, but they seem committed to giving Meyers a little while longer at least to show improvement at the plate and it's likely that Marisnick is signed elsewhere by that point. But that's just a guess....

"Neither should even sniff a playoff roster" is a silly swing to the opposite extreme. You don't carry as many pitchers in the playoffs, and Dubon's positional versatility and/or Meyers as a pinch runner/defensive replacement have value. If Derek Fisher and the ghost of Cameron Maybin can be rostered on a WS team, there's no reason those guys can't play a role.

1 minute ago, formermav43 said:

Neither should even sniff a playoff roster" is a silly swing to the opposite extreme

It really is and it also underscores the outsized reactions Astros fans have to every lineup posting for a team that has the best record in the AL and a 12 game lead in the division. 

They want everyone rested and they want everyone tested, so we're going to keep seeing a lot of Participation Trophy Lineups for the next six weeks or more. 

10 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Meyers as a pinch runner/defensive replacement have value.

Rostering Meyers as a pinch runner, ok, but as a defensive replacement.? Lmao. His instincts are terrible. He often takes terrible routes, gets bad jumps, has a green light arm, throws to the wrong place. Luckily he’s able to overcome some of them with sheer speed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If we have a Jake on our roster as a pinch runner/defensive replacement I personally would rather have Marisnick over Meyers. He actually has better stats at the plate and still makes the highlight catches without looking like he’s going to break a clavicle. He’s still a plus defensive outfielder. 
Marisnick was in a walking boot until a few days ago so not sure what timetable there might be for him signing with someone but it doesn’t really matter because the chances are less than zero that the Astros even consider it. 

Edited by Mitch Hedberg