2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I'm so glad they're getting rid of this rinky dink rule.

are they?

2 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

It’s a good rule.  Shortens extra innings while giving teams equal footing in extras.  

Why is that a good thing?

Edited by WBT

Just now, Tommy Nobis said:

It’s fucking retarded. It’s honestly an advantage to the road team to score first and put the pressure on the home team who has “home field” advantage for a reason.

Visitor always has the opportunity to score first.  Your argument is invalid.  

Just now, WBT said:

are they?

Why is that a good thing?

Saves wear and tear in players in an already grueling 162 game season. 

1 minute ago, Guadaloopy said:

Opinion without supporting evidence.  

What kind of evidence would you accept?

You don't have any evidence, either.  You're offering the minority opinion as if it's fact that must be countered with evidence.  It's not.  You like the rule, and most fans hate the rule.  Hence it is going away.

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

What kind of evidence would you accept?

You don't have any evidence, either.  You're offering the minority opinion as if it's fact that must be countered with evidence.  It's not.  You like the rule, and most fans hate the rule.  Hence it is going away.

My evidence is that the length of extra inning games has dropped significantly.   Fewer innings are thrown by pitching staffs, which is a benefit to the players in a 162-game season that now has a potential 22-game postseason. 

The only argument against the rule is “I don’t like it.”

5 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

My evidence is that the length of extra inning games has dropped significantly.   Fewer innings are thrown by pitching staffs, which is a benefit to the players in a 162-game season that now has a potential 22-game postseason. 

That's not evidence.  That's a consequence.  And you're assuming it's a good thing because pitching staffs can't take a few games worth of additional innings spread out over 6 months.  The counter to that is that for over a century pitchers routinely racked up 200+ IP.  But if you're actually concerned about IP, then add a roster spot.  Or start the season a week earlier and mix in more days off. 

But don't ruin good games after 3 hours by having them decided by the first team to hit a freaking single.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

The paying customers don't like it is a pretty good argument.  Teams carry roughly 35 pitchers each these days, they can throw a few extra innings.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

That's not evidence.  That's a consequence.  And you're assuming it's a good thing because pitching staffs can't take a few games worth of additional innings spread out over 6 months.  The counter to that is that for over a century pitchers routinely racked up 200+ IP.  But if you're actually concerned about IP, then add a roster spot.  Or start the season a week earlier and mix in more days off. 

But don't ruin good games after 3 hours by having them decided by the first team to hit a freaking single.

You’re right. We should ruin good games after three hours by having everyone K until someone hits a solo HR.  

Get ‘em tomorrow, fellas.  

3 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

100% has to be.  If they send down Martinez over him (won't be Stanek or Abreu) we riot.

I will be pleasantly surprised if you are right. Maton is making actual money and on arbitration and that was a big move for Click last year, and Dusty pitches him often in leverage situations and never pitches Martinez in those situations. It would be very surprising. 

9 hours ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Enjoy Sugarland. He’s for sure the one getting sent down now 

35 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I will be pleasantly surprised if you are right. Maton is making actual money and on arbitration and that was a big move for Click last year, and Dusty pitches him often in leverage situations and never pitches Martinez in those situations. It would be very surprising. 

It should be Maton. It needs to be Maton. Unfortunately, I get the feeling it won't be Maton for the reasons Wulaw points out. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Okay, it's been going on since forever, but only worth mentioning because Astros.  But it's NOT cheating.  But we should mention it.  Because the implications.

I mostly stopped and then slow-rolled through a red light at 3 am the other night when there wasn't another car within a mile of me.  I know everyone does that and there's no real harm, but I grew up in Houston, so it's worth mentioning and my car insurance should definitely go up.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Haha 1