2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Hopefully the book will address the league-wide nature of the sign stealing issue, but based on the use of "their scandal" I won't get my hopes

Good luck with that. Did you see who the author is?  He was as responsible as anyone in focusing unwanted attention on the Astros. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Winning fixes things for us, the Astros fans, with regard to basically telling the rest of the week to go fuck themselves.  The way our 2017 legacy players get booed on the road says that winning hasn’t fixed anything at all; But fuck those fans too!

Edited by slorch

31 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Good luck with that. Did you see who the author is?  He was as responsible as anyone in focusing unwanted attention on the Astros. 

I don’t blame Drellich.  He’s a reporter who found a huge story and is milking it for all it is worth.   He’s tapped into the confirmation bias of non-Astro fans and is feeding them red meat.  Can’t really fault him for that.  

51 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

I don’t blame Drellich.  He’s a reporter who found a huge story and is milking it for all it is worth.   He’s tapped into the confirmation bias of non-Astro fans and is feeding them red meat.  Can’t really fault him for that.  

why not?

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

Are you also a member of the Mike Fiers Fan Club and a Jomboy aficionado?

32 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

It’s a reporter’s nature.  Ever heard the tale of the frog and the scorpion?

A better reporter would expand on the story to show it was a league-wide issue and that Manfred was making Fiers and the Astros a convenient scapegoat.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Pimphand said:

How did Manfred scapegoat Fiers?

Sorry, I meant that he was using Fiers's snitching to scapegoat the Astros.  No from another team has gone on the record or will now that they've seen the fan backlash 

18 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Surprising fun fact from Berman 

Good heavens Tudor’s stats from the year.

1.93 Era, 0.938 whip. 14’CGs. 10 SHOs. 21-8.

good enough for… second in the Cy Young.

and it was in an article posted here but Tudor is also one of the rare examples of a guy coming back from TJ over the age of 35 and having real success, like JV.

12-4, 2.40 ERA, 1.03 WHIP in 22 starts at age 36 in 1990.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Surprising fun fact from Berman 

I think the most surprising part of that is that John Tudor was involved in the start I would have thought Orel Hersheiser or all the way back to 1972 when you had multiple starters with sub 2 ERAs in both leagues.  Turns out his 1985 campaign was pretty crazy outlier.

Now can Dusty actually figure out we should put the non-anemic lineup in?

25 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Oh that would be a no we skip both Mancini and Vazquez #JFC why even trade for them?

1 minute ago, Pimphand said:

I think the most surprising part of that is that John Tudor was involved in the start I would have thought Orel Hersheiser or all the way back to 1972 when you had multiple starters with sub 2 ERAs in both leagues.  Turns out his 1985 campaign was pretty crazy outlier.

Now can Dusty actually figure out we should put the non-anemic lineup in?

Oh that would be a no we skip both Mancini and Vazquez #JFC why even trade for them?

gotta keep them fresh

6 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Did you forget about his time at the Chron and his big beef with Luhnow and the Astros organization and how that seeped into his reporting? He definitely left me with the impression that he has always had a major axe to grind with them over that incident and his ascent nationally on heads of the 2017 Astros and Mike Fiers ratting provided a blueprint for assholes like Chandler Rome. That dude wants so badly to be the next Drellich.....

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Did you forget about his time at the Chron and his big beef with Luhnow and the Astros organization and how that seeped into his reporting? He definitely left me with the impression that he has always had a major axe to grind with them over that incident and his ascent nationally on heads of the 2017 Astros and Mike Fiers ratting provided a blueprint for assholes like Chandler Rome. That dude wants so badly to be the next Drellich.....

If it wasn't for Jose the Jesus shitbag Ortiz and a ton of other shit heads that have come through the ranks Rome would be my least favorite Astro coverage guy ever, but Drellich is a way bigger douche and the Jesus was a way bigger moron and shit stirrer.  Richard Justice is a half wit, but he's by far the best the Chronicle ever had covering the Stros. 

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If it wasn't for Jose the Jesus shitbag Ortiz and a ton of other shit heads that have come through the ranks Rome would be my least favorite Astro coverage guy ever, but Drellich is a way bigger douche and the Jesus was a way bigger moron and shit stirrer.  Richard Justice is a half wit, but he's by far the best the Chronicle ever had covering the Stros. 

PREACH.

FUCK JJO. I hated that guy like few other Htown journos. Just a complete shithead pot stirrer with nothing substantive to offer. 

ETA: Kaplan was really great and I miss his even-handed, thoughtful coverage of the Astros. McTaggart is good too.

Edited by Gourmand
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Who was the dude that left the Chronicle to write for baseball prospectus?  He wasn’t there long but the attention to facts was such a breath of fresh air when JJO was the main beat writer.

Kaplan is the one I think you're thinking of but he went to The Athletic and left last year. 

Edited by Gourmand