2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

We always talk about a Tucker extension but never Valdez. He’s in a similar situation except he’s not as young(28) or quite as cheap ($3M) since he’s already in arb years. But he’s is not a FA until 2026 (same as Tucker) because as a foreign player he has 4 years of arb not 3. Would you try to extend him in the next year or 2 and, if so, what should his offer look like?

I had it on another board- 5/72 would be my offer.  That’s a buy out of his arbitration at 3/30 and then 2/42 on top of that for his 2 FA years. Generational money- guaranteed and up front- make him turn it down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Lefty or righty for Chicago on mound?  If lefty this lineup is ok for whose only it but Yuli should hit 8th. If right then JJ. It’s not going to happen. 

They don't have any LHP starters once they lost Rodon. Diekman may be the only lefty on their staff right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Lefty or righty for Chicago on mound?  If lefty this lineup is ok for whose only it but Yuli should hit 8th. If right then JJ. It’s not going to happen. 

giolito, who has been mostly garbage this season with the occasional glimmer of his old self.  speaking as a (former) fantasy owner.

as for valdez - he really seems to have a close-knit situation with that group of pitchers (urquidy, garcia, framber, javier).  i would love to make an overture to the group, try to extend them for manageable numbers while they're still in prime years (javier is the youngest at 25).  those 4 to go with lance and hunter brown solves a lot of headaches for the next 3-5 years.

maybe i'm being naive, but i feel like some of the foreign born players brought in for cheap and given a chance to shine are likely to be a little more loyal to the team who brought them in, and also more likely to stick with their inner community they've built (including tuve, machete, etc).  like you said - generational money.  signing for $10k is a fun story, but signing an extension for $30-$40mm makes a lot of worries go away.

that said, i think they're all locked up thru 2025 anyway.

Edited by henrygandorf
i left out urquidy
  • Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

giolito, who has been mostly garbage this season with the occasional glimmer of his old self.  speaking as a (former) fantasy owner.

as for valdez - he really seems to have a close-knit situation with that group of pitchers (garcia, framber, javier).  i would love to make an overture to the group, try to extend them for manageable numbers while they're still in prime years (javier is the youngest at 25).  those 3 to go with lance and hunter brown solves a lot of headaches for the next 3-5 years.

maybe i'm being naive, but i feel like some of the foreign born players brought in for cheap and given a chance to shine are likely to be a little more loyal to the team who brought them in, and also more likely to stick with their inner community they've built (including tuve, machete, etc).  like you said - generational money.  signing for $10k is a fun story, but signing an extension for $30-$40mm makes a lot of worries go away.

that said, i think they're all locked up thru 2025 anyway.

They are. And yeah- foreign guys, especially ones who signed for shot bonuses, are more likely to sign extensions. 
my offers:

Valdez- 5/72

javier- 5/50

Urquidy- 5/42

Gardia- 6/42- he’s one more year away from arbitration this the extra year at similar money  

I’d be happy with any of those deals as the Astros and as a fan.  I think there’s a decent chance at any of them taking those deals if offered this off-season  

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

They are. And yeah- foreign guys, especially ones who signed for shot bonuses, are more likely to sign extensions. 
my offers:

Valdez- 5/72

javier- 5/50

Urquidy- 5/42

Gardia- 6/42- he’s one more year away from arbitration this the extra year at similar money  

I’d be happy with any of those deals as the Astros and as a fan.  I think there’s a decent chance at any of them taking those deals if offered this off-season  

I’d love those deals. Would leave them all really tradeable also in the event we need a piece down the road. Wouldn’t hate that at all. Can we forward this to Click?

1. mancini should hit 2nd.  if he's 'replacing' brantley or yuli - our two 2-hole guys, let's go all the way with it.  he makes contact and has pop.  do it.

2. i know i've mentioned this at least 3x but i love the way altuve hops the dugout whenever someone gets a big hit or a homer.  he's always among the first to greet the batter when he comes home.  he's like our jimmy conway.  he's always the first one at the hospital whenever anyone had a baby.  keep fucking booing him, he'll keep signing autographs for your fans and taking pictures with your kids, and giving away his equipment and being awesome, and just make you look like a fucking bitch for booing him.

3. see number 2.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

1. mancini should hit 2nd.  if he's 'replacing' brantley or yuli - our two 2-hole guys, let's go all the way with it.  he makes contact and has pop.  do it.

2. i know i've mentioned this at least 3x but i love the way altuve hops the dugout whenever someone gets a big hit or a homer.  he's always among the first to greet the batter when he comes home.  he's like our jimmy conway.  he's always the first one at the hospital whenever anyone had a baby.  keep fucking booing him, he'll keep signing autographs for your fans and taking pictures with your kids, and giving away his equipment and being awesome, and just make you look like a fucking bitch for booing him.

3. see number 2.

Jose Altuve should be a national treasure and the face of baseball. People are idiots. 

• Like 1