2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Predictions for divisional playoff roster?

I'm assuming Maton is the guy who gets left off the roster and Brown makes it as a reliever. On the offensive side, at the beginning of the season who'da thunk Jake Meyers would be stuck in AAA and lose a playoff roster spot to the unheralded minor leaguer David Hensley?

37 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Predictions for divisional playoff roster?

I'm assuming Maton is the guy who gets left off the roster and Brown makes it as a reliever. On the offensive side, at the beginning of the season who'da thunk Jake Meyers would be stuck in AAA and lose a playoff roster spot to the unheralded minor leaguer David Hensley?

I’d like to see Martinez make it in lieu of Garcia or Urquidy, particularly if Brown makes it as a long reliever. Seems like a more useful bullpen piece. Probably won’t happen but should. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I’d like to see Martinez make it in lieu of Garcia or Urquidy, particularly if Brown makes it as a long reliever. Seems like a more useful bullpen piece. Probably won’t happen but should. 

Yeah he deserves it for his performance this year but I value the playoff experience Urquidy and Garcia bring to the table.

MLB mctaggart …. Martinez is on the playoff roster, he got that wrong. Urquidy, Garcia, Maton, brown - pick one. Also a 3rd catcher for Hensley ?

What could the postseason roster look like?

C: Martín Maldonado, Christian Vázquez1B: Yuli Gurriel
2B: Jose Altuve
SS: Jeremy Peña
3B: Alex Bregman
UT: Aledmys Díaz, Mauricio Dubón, David Hensley
DH: Trey Mancini
OF: Yordan Alvarez, Kyle Tucker, Chas McCormick
Pitchers: Justin Verlander, Framber Valdez, Lance McCullers Jr., José Urquidy, Luis Garcia, Cristian Javier, Bryan Abreu, Phil Maton, Rafael Montero, Héctor Neris, Ryan Pressly, Ryne Stanek, Will Smith

13 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

MLB mctaggart …. Martinez is on the playoff roster, he got that wrong. Urquidy, Garcia, Maton, brown - pick one. Also a 3rd catcher for Hensley ?

What could the postseason roster look like?

C: Martín Maldonado, Christian Vázquez1B: Yuli Gurriel
2B: Jose Altuve
SS: Jeremy Peña
3B: Alex Bregman
UT: Aledmys Díaz, Mauricio Dubón, David Hensley
DH: Trey Mancini
OF: Yordan Alvarez, Kyle Tucker, Chas McCormick
Pitchers: Justin Verlander, Framber Valdez, Lance McCullers Jr., José Urquidy, Luis Garcia, Cristian Javier, Bryan Abreu, Phil Maton, Rafael Montero, Héctor Neris, Ryan Pressly, Ryne Stanek, Will Smith

Third catcher instead of the 13th pitcher in the divisional series.  We always do it that way. For fucks sake- there are 2 off days in this round where it takes 7 days to play 5 games.  McTaggert pees sitting down so it's no surprise he doesn't have Hunter Brown on his divisional roster squad.  

• Hook 'Em 2

It feels like we could pretty easily get by (if we wanted to and swept) with something like 6 pitchers in the Divisional series round if we only play 3 games. I know they won't want to do it that way but you saw how easy stacking the starters could be last night.  We took Brown out for I don't fucking know why as he was pretty much the definition of cruising and had thrown what- like 38 pitches or something- and we took Garcia out b/c we could.

Not hard to imagine a scenario where you went:

JV- 7 innings, Montero, Presley

Off Day

Framber- 7 innings, Montero Presley

Off Day

Lance- 5 innings, Brown 4 innings, shake hands and go home.  If you want to substitute Javier in there that's fine too.  

The downside of this, of course, is that the Houston staff is insanely deep and talented and it by far works to our benefit to get into a contest of your 11th best pitcher vs our 10th best pitcher or something like that.  We win that contest against everyone going away. If it's a battle between the top 5 or 6 arms on a staff I'm certainly not feeling like the other team will have an advantage on us or anything, but our advantage is much less pronounced.  

Not that it changes the roster calculus, but the ALDS schedule is fucky this year.

there are two off days, but they are after games 1 and 2, instead of 2 and 4.

So could have 3 straight games in a row if it goes 5.

if the mariners stay the 6 seed, I think I’ll be rooting for them to handle Cleveland in the WC round and Yanks/M’s go 5 and having to make a cross country flight after game 4 to play game 5 the next day.

Edited by UTexasFight

5 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Yanier should starts 

I really really really wish he would have gotten a months worth of AB’s, while we were essentially playing for nothing, to know if this would have been true for the playoffs or for next year. 
I suspect he’s one of the top 9 bats in the organization, but who could tell. 

• Hook 'Em 1