2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

15 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Rumor has it Crane wanted Correa back and Click put his foot down (which seems bizarre…that usually goes the other way. but I can see Click saying “hell no” to a lengthy, pricey contract that really hamstrings you ability to put together a competent roster in a few years).

but if that’s true and Peña underperforms in the month Correa has historically shone the brightest, look out.

This is not true. 

What is true is that Click did not want to sign Mike or Gurriel. Yet we signed them. Take that for what it’s worth…

So what all is left to be decided? The Braves would have to go 0-2 and the Mets 3-0 so that is unlikely.

You would think the Phillies would rather lose so they can open up against St Louis rather than the Mets.

It seems like Tampa has made a similar decision and would rather face Cleveland than Toronto the way they are swirling the drain.

Yeah not that I am worried about any of these AL squads, but we probably should have let the Rays win a couple lol.  I would much rather them have the chance to move on to the ALDS against us and us have a short flight to Tampa compared to Seattle or Toronto.  

But whatever, bring on whoever the fuck wants to get stomped out 

Edited by Scraps

That was my ideal lineup with Mancini in place of Yuli until Mancini’s slump. I still prefer Mancini over Yuli only because he does have the potential to do damage with one swing and I think the tide has to turn for him at some point. But if we rolled this lineup out for a playoff game I wouldn’t be mad at all. JV finally gets a decent lineup to score some runs potentially. He’s had some stinkers his last two starts.

• Like 1

great listen, end of season and playoff talk. lot of talk about getting all guys playing time next two days. good stuff

https://sportstalk790.iheart.com/featured/what-s-on-matt-s-mind/content/2022-10-04-dusty-baker-reflects-on-regular-season-preparing-for-playoffs-off-days/

lulz, bregman wanted one more at bat last night vs nola. bragging rights 

dusty is in the kenny ziggy parking lot, about to buy matzo ball soup for sick players and bregman (yom kippur). he said his mom would make it when he was sick and it always made him feel better. best locker room in mlb 

verlander will go deeper if needed, he wants him to get 18

going to renew signs, wants a mini spring training 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

That was my ideal lineup with Mancini in place of Yuli until Mancini’s slump. I still prefer Mancini over Yuli only because he does have the potential to do damage with one swing and I think the tide has to turn for him at some point. But if we rolled this lineup out for a playoff game I wouldn’t be mad at all. JV finally gets a decent lineup to score some runs potentially. He’s had some stinkers his last two starts.

Yuli is a gold glove 1B.....don't give a shit about his bat.  If those top 5 can't produce runs then we aren't winning shit anyway.  

Edited by Scraps
  • Hook 'Em 3

Interesting question I hadn't thought about: Do you skip a JV start in game 4-5 of the ALDS so he's available for a potential ALCS game 1? I would normally say no, but given our depth, I think you can make the argument, at least for game 4, that is would be a good move. But, If we get to a game 5, you have to send JV out there.  

Edited by Seasick Sailor

31 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Yuli is a gold glove 1B.....don't give a shit about his bat.  If those top 5 can't produce runs then we aren't winning shit anyway.  

I was surprised to learn that Yuli is tied for 12th in MLB with 40 doubles, especially given his .646 OPS. If he could throw in a few more walks he could be useful. 

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

for the billionth time, mancini has no purpose on this playoff roster

He can change the scoreboard with 1 swing of the bat. At worst, he’s the ideal guy you send up there and hope he catches a lightning bolt off the bench, but I fully expect him to play every game against RHP. If not he’s the only guy on your bench with thump. His ops on the year is still something like 100 points higher than Yuli’s but even ignoring all that who else is a legitimate HR hitter on the bench?  
he’s got a 109 OPS plus meaning he’s 9% better than average while A Diaz is sitting right at 100 and Yuli is down around 85 (15 percent below league average at 1B- fucking lol yikes) 

Maldy, Vasquez, Yuli, Altuve, Peña, Bregman, A Diaz, Yordan, Hensley, Mancini, Meyers, Chas, Tucker. Maybe they fuck around with Dubon in round 1 but I’d prefer a 3rd catcher. That’s your 13 position players in round 2 and 3 if we are fortunate enough to get there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

great listen, end of season and playoff talk. lot of talk about getting all guys playing time next two days. good stuff

https://sportstalk790.iheart.com/featured/what-s-on-matt-s-mind/content/2022-10-04-dusty-baker-reflects-on-regular-season-preparing-for-playoffs-off-days/

lulz, bregman wanted one more at bat last night vs nola. bragging rights 

dusty is in the kenny ziggy parking lot, about to buy matzo ball soup for sick players and bregman (yom kippur). he said his mom would make it when he was sick and it always made him feel better. best locker room in mlb 

verlander will go deeper if needed, he wants him to get 18

going to renew signs, wants a mini spring training 

Level 1. The matzo ball soup at K&Z is outstanding. 

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

if mancini is the last argument about the roster, we're in good shape 

He’s not. He’s auto on there. You are making this up in your head and pretending it’s a thing the te would even slightly consider. Mancini has started something like 25 of the past 28 games. His spot is secure. 
I know, I’m someone who spends a lot of time talking about what I think the Astros ought to do, or what would be more fun or interesting or the like, but I acknowledge it’s my thoughts and not there’s. There is literally nothing the Astros have said or done in 2 months that’s gives the slightest indication Mancini isn’t 100% on the roster. 

On 9/20/2022 at 9:27 PM, UTexasFight said:

Tucker is going to have a helluva stat line when this season is over.

one of those: “only tucker and one other Astro have had 30 HRs, 30 2Bs, 25 SBs, 100 RBIs and a gold glove”

Huzzah!!!

as they just showed, Bagwell is the only other Astro in this company, but Bagwell never got a gold glove in the years he had that offensive stat line.

1 hour ago, Jshep34 said:

Savannah Bananas come to sugar land March 17. Sure to be a sell out. Just a FYI for those of us with kids.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Any idea when tickets will go on sale?  I have a buddy who wants to watch them bad.

1 minute ago, Scraps said:
1 hour ago, Jshep34 said:
Savannah Bananas come to sugar land March 17. Sure to be a sell out. Just a FYI for those of us with kids.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Uh kids?? I got like 5 40 yr olds ready to go and leave their kids at home

6 but no kids 

• Like 1