2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

14 minutes ago, WBT said:

106!  We don't play again until Tuesday!?!  f manfred.

I like the new format. Really makes the regular season meaningful. Byes, major WC round home field advantages. More money for owners and players. Better than the NFL, NBA and college football. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Back in April, I was thinking we might win 85. Of course, back then the new-look Rangers were still in it. 

the angels were 28-18 and won 73 games.

the yankees were 56-20 and couldn't get to 100.

i took astros over 92.5 and felt pretty good about it, but did not see 106 coming at all.

41 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Take one step forward if you saw this squad winning 106. 

Not so fast, everyone.

I predicted 98 and having the division wrapped up in August. The offense being good not great is what I expected. I expected the pitching staff to be merely awesome- instead they were fucking historic. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

ok so who do we want?

toronto has a better lineup.  toronto has the best sp1 between the two.  seattle has the 2nd and 3rd best sp i think.  seattle has a better bullpen.  we also know seattle better and vice-versa.

obviously we want the series to go 3 and screw with the rotation as much as possible.  because of the off day, castillo could get full rest and still go in g2 of the alds.  robbie ray would be on short rest in game 1.

toronto definitely has the bats to get hot and wreck a series.  seattle might have some of that underdog magic because of the playoff drought and it sucks being on the wrong end of that.

travel won't be fun regardless, and the weird off days don't help.

On 4/10/2022 at 5:32 PM, Slacks said:

Do y'all get this ragey about lineups and orders every April?

Bro, give it 6 months.

On 4/10/2022 at 5:56 PM, Slacks said:

I'll tell you what analytics doesn't tell you (it probably does), but over 50 years in MLB does...

Limiting players in April, especially when there was almost no spring ball, is going to limit injuries in August and September.

This team does not need to go full throttle in April. I'm pretty sure sucking in April has been a ticket to the WS a time or two (correlation is causation, prove me wrong!)

Don't sweat the April lineup. Seriously.

This team is going to win the division and battle for the 1 seed if the pitching doesn't melt down.

Enjoy the ride.

On 4/10/2022 at 6:33 PM, Slacks said:

It's as of some expect Dusty to follow the process with analytics, but not follow his own process.

In April.

Y'all were fuckin miserable in April... I'm gonna need y'all to have bigger energy next spring.

No more battered fan syndrome.

Let's go, Astros.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Doyers posted the most wins in a 162 game season in NL history only exceeded by the 1998 MFY & the last time the Mariners were in the postsesson (2001)

Pretty much all the pressure is on them. If they win it all they are one of the greatest teams ever seen if they lose then they are still the squad who could only win in that fluke covid 16 team postseason.

I sure would like the chance to deny them one more time and you know we can count on Dave Roberts to botch the lineup/pitching staff more than Dusty.

Both teams have posted 4 100 win seasons since 2017. Both teams have asterisks next to their titles. Both teams have been to the World Series three times since 2017 and so this really is to decide which team was the better dynasty.

The Dodgers reward in all of this? They may have to beat 3 100 win teams to get there if the Mets can beat the Spanish fathers and the Braves return to the NLCS while the Astros return to the WS.

If MLB is going to keep this 12 team format with the top 2 seeds getting byes they really should seed the field on wins and not reward the division winners with the top 3 seeds. This year in the AL it is a non issue since TOR & CLE finished with identical records but the NL the NYM finished 8 games better than STL and so the Braves definitely got the most favorable draw with the STL/PHI winner in the NLDS. Same goes with the Phillies having the better draw than the Padres.

It is pretty crazy that that collapse vs the Braves took the Mets from having the best seed in the NL to having the absolute toughest playoff road I have ever seen.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Rimbo said:

God, it has been so much fun to be an Astros fan for the past ... eight years. Starting with the month when George Springer first graced our roster... that was a fun month in a bad year.

And now we expect to be in the playoffs. A 100-win season is normal. I can relax this weekend and enjoy Texas-OU, because the Astros don't have to get involved again until the Divisional round.

A pitching staff setting records. Mr. Pena picking up where Correa left off. King Tuck. "Frambering" has taken on an entirely different meaning. And Yordan, who hates baseballs. He punishes them.

And Mr. MVP himself, the absolute goddamned legend, Slayer of Yankees and Breaker of Hearts: Jose Altuve himself.

I will be grateful for every win in the postseason. It has been so much fun to cheer for this team!

Man, I was going to post how much I love this team but you said it much better than I ever could. 

Ghost Rose! Or, for the non-beer heads, Go 'Stros!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

MLB history only has 10 seasons with 3 or more teams with 100+ wins and Houston is in the mix 5 of 10 times. Exclude 1942 and it's 5 of 9.  NYY stuck on 99 prevented an all time high of  5 teams.  Doesn't guarantee a title though as 2019&2021 show. 

Season Team #1 Team #2 Team #3 Team #4
1942 St. Louis Cardinals, NL (106–48) (.688) Brooklyn Dodgers, NL (104–50) (.675) New York Yankees, AL (103–51) (.669)
1977 Kansas City Royals, AL (102–60) (.630) Philadelphia Phillies, NL (101–61) (.623) New York Yankees, AL (100–62) (.617)
1998 New York Yankees, AL (114–48) (.704) Atlanta Braves, NL (106–56) (.654) Houston Astros, NL (102–60) (.630)
2002 New York Yankees, AL (103–58) (.640) Oakland Athletics, AL (103–59) (.636) Atlanta Braves, NL (101–59) (.631)
2003 New York Yankees, AL (101–61) (.623) Atlanta Braves, NL (101–61) (.623) San Francisco Giants, NL (100–61) (.621)
2017 Los Angeles Dodgers, NL (104–58) (.642) Cleveland Indians, AL (102–60) (.630) Houston Astros, AL (101–61) (.623)
2018 Boston Red Sox, AL (108–54) (.667) Houston Astros, AL (103–59) (.636), New York Yankees, AL (100–62) (.617)
2019 Houston Astros, AL (107–55) (.660) Los Angeles Dodgers, NL (106–56) (.654) New York Yankees, AL (103–59) (.636) Minnesota Twins, AL (101–61) (.623)
2021 San Francisco Giants, NL (107–55) (.660), Los Angeles Dodgers, NL (106–56) (.654), Tampa Bay Rays, AL (100–62) (.617)
2022 Los Angeles Dodgers, NL (111–51) (.685) Houston Astros, AL (106–56) (.654) Atlanta Braves, NL (101–61) (.623) New York Mets, NL (101–61) (.62
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Man, I was going to post how much I love this team but you said it much better than I ever could. 

Ghost Rose! Or, for the non-beer heads, Go 'Stros!!

Houston and Astros fans fucking suffered through shit and it paid off big time 

• Hook 'Em 2

Now is my time to post my annual rant about how much I hate the playoffs. Baseball is a game where quality is measured over 162 games and turns on small advantages adding up to be important over the course of 6 months. Then, we scrap all that and play best 3 out of 5 to determine a first round winner and then ascribe great importance to what, viewed rationally, is random chance. 

I know we are a lot better than the Mariners. We played the same schedule as them and finished almost 20 games better than them. We beat the shit out of them coming out of the all star break and pissed all over their cute little winning streak.  Then, when they rebounded to gain games on us again in the next week while we were doing something stupid like getting swept by the A’s, they came to MMP and we forcibly sodomized them in a series you could literally see them waive the white flag for the season.  

So- I know we are better than them.  No doubt. If we play them in the playoffs in best 3 out of 5 we will be something like a 60/40 or 65/35 favorite to get past them in all the analytic stuff. It’s just absolutely brutal, the playoffs. 

This makes what we’ve done in the playoffs so remarkable in going to the ALCS 6 years in a row or whatever it it. There’s so much randomness. But we’ve never been hit by it. Every year I fear this year will be the year it happens, and then it doesn’t.  If shit goes according to form there is no doubt the Astros are the best team in the AL. 

• Hook 'Em 6

26 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

dan levy comedy GIF by CBC

Yeah but do batting.  Where do the 2022 Stros rank? 7th? 8th?

I definitely rank them ahead of the Rays, Mariners, Guardians, & Padres but not sure if I could put them ahead of anyone else definitively.  You could make an argument for the Phillies but that's about it.

17 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Yeah but do batting.  Where do the 2022 Stros rank? 7th? 8th?

I definitely rank them ahead of the Rays, Mariners, Guardians, & Padres but not sure if I could put them ahead of anyone else definitively.  You could make an argument for the Phillies but that's about it.

Three points to consider, before adopting a “woe is us” attitude about the offense:

1) Dusty rarely marched out our optimal lineup this season, and certainly not multiple times in a row.  We should see that lineup more in the playoffs. 

2) Playoff history has shown us that great pitching beats great hitting when it matters most.  (See Scherzer and Strasburg, 2019, for a recent example)

3) Playoff Altuve unlocked.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Decided that I’m all in for the M’s in this first series, because I can’t bear the possibility of Springer daggering us in the playoffs.  

saw they're going castillo in g1.  that's interesting considering the schedule.

manoah has been lights out and i don't think the m's have the bats to keep up.  prediction is toronto in 2, but hoping it at least goes the distance.

9 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Now is my time to post my annual rant about how much I hate the playoffs. Baseball is a game where quality is measured over 162 games and turns on small advantages adding up to be important over the course of 6 months. Then, we scrap all that and play best 3 out of 5 to determine a first round winner and then ascribe great importance to what, viewed rationally, is random chance. 

I know we are a lot better than the Mariners. We played the same schedule as them and finished almost 20 games better than them. We beat the shit out of them coming out of the all star break and pissed all over their cute little winning streak.  Then, when they rebounded to gain games on us again in the next week while we were doing something stupid like getting swept by the A’s, they came to MMP and we forcibly sodomized them in a series you could literally see them waive the white flag for the season.  

So- I know we are better than them.  No doubt. If we play them in the playoffs in best 3 out of 5 we will be something like a 60/40 or 65/35 favorite to get past them in all the analytic stuff. It’s just absolutely brutal, the playoffs. 

This makes what we’ve done in the playoffs so remarkable in going to the ALCS 6 years in a row or whatever it it. There’s so much randomness. But we’ve never been hit by it. Every year I fear this year will be the year it happens, and then it doesn’t.  If shit goes according to form there is no doubt the Astros are the best team in the AL. 

Imagine researchers tested 15 drugs on hundreds of subjects, and then, instead of recommending the use of the drug that clearly and significantly has the best results, they instead pick the top 6 and test them on 3, 5, and 7 subjects, in somewhat arbitrary pairings, and make their recommendations based on that. That’s the MLB playoffs.