2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, formermav43 said:

You’re right in the last paragraph about the reason for 162 games, but it’s irrelevant to the playoffs at this point. If they prioritized truly measuring which team was best, they’d go back to 2 divisions and an LCS only format for the playoffs (I’d say World Series only like in the real old days, but there’s just too many teams now for that to really be fair, especially with unbalanced scheduling).

With that large a sample size, you really shouldn’t have 6 playoff teams to begin with. But the playoffs aren’t about the good of the sport, they’re about money. I wonder how upsets impact that-that’s where it will matter.

the old old days only had 2 teams in the playoffs, then with the CS we had 4 teams.  Currently 12 teams is way too much, should be 8 teams - the 3 division winners and 1 wild card per league.  There would be no Wild Card round and the DS would be 7 games, CS 7, and WS 7 - a total of 21 possible games. Currently we have 3, 5, 7, 7 = 22 games. That would be best for baseball's integrity and not have 87 and 89 game non-Division winners in the World Series.  But $$$ is everything !

When the Astros are taken out by a WC, we'll come around to the more conservative approach, but it's too late. Playoff contraction never happens.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

How do they clean that shit up?  I have tried to clean champagne that was sprayed all over the inside of a house once.  Much of it is still there 20+ years later.

they just replace everything

they have a lot more money than you and i do

3 hours ago, Rimbo said:

No.

There is some discussion about the new best-of-3 Wild Card format.

Interesting.  

I’m fine with 3 games in wild card round.  Those teams ought to be happy that they got in at all.  

But it seems like division winners should be harder to unseat.  

I understand that $$$$$$ is driving these decisions… but moving divisional round to 7 games potentially gives more playoff games.  If MLB thinks that makes playoffs go too deep into October, then eliminate an off-day or two (which also rewards deeper pitching staffs).

2 hours ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

i hope we get NYY. i think they’re slightly less dangerous than CLE. plus i think our guys get up for NYY and are obviously not intimidated by playing in NYC. jose ramirez honestly scares me more than judge.

Agreed, I would prefer to play NYY and drink their tears from their own cup rather than let Cleveland have that honor. Plus, that beanpole mfer McKenzie just baffles Astros hitters.

big believer that we can’t be beat, we can only beat ourselves. if our bats go quiet - which they have on multiple occasions - lots of teams can beat us. 

i think the yankees are a better matchup for us. cole can only go once on normal rest, whereas bieber/mckenzie are lined up for an alcs berth. also their hitters seem annoying as fuck. 

the yankees may get hot - they have a bunch of hitters who spent plenty of time getting hot between 2012-2018 so who am i to say?

they also rely on the same few bullpen arms every night which sucks in a 7 game series. the back of the cleve pen is downright nasty, so no thanks. 

we may lose to the yankees but that’s a better matchup for us right now. that’s also the answer to the trivia question, “what’s it gonna take to get altuve going?”

yanks in an extra-inning, emotional, draining 15 round ali-frazier type marathon tomorrow with multiple rain delays please. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Rimbo said:

seriously, WTF is wrong with y'all

yes, beating the Yankees is fun. you know what's more fun? the Yankees losing and not even getting a chance at us.

Sure, I'll take that, too.

But as others have said, I think NYY is the better matchup for us.  A team that has already gone further than they were supposed to (Cleveland), is a dangerous thing ('19 Washington), whereas NYY is always under the most pressure due to their psychotic fanbase and local media.  And they also swooned the second half of the season.  And we've sent them packing multiple times recently.  That's a lot of weight.

Don't get me wrong -- I think we'll beat either one.  And mostly I'm just glad their series is going 5 games.  But I'd prefer the Yankees.  Who doesn't like to see Helo lose to the team he shouldn've chosen as a boy??

• Hook 'Em 1

No preference.  We play who we play.

Even if both teams were well-rested, we have a large advantage over either with the pitching rotation.  The fact that their series is going the distance magnifies that advantage since they have to use their best pitchers to stay alive.

I’m still amazed that this team played 18 innings on Saturday and had well-rested starters and no overused leverage bullpen arms ready for G4 and G5 if needed.  That is truly mind-blowing.  

There are a lot of reasons to be confident going into the ALCS, but it’s baseball and anything can happen. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

It seems like a handful of 300 level seats were released for public sale this morning.  After fees they're still a little cheaper than what's on stubhub right now.    I grabbed some upgrades and am hoping I can at least break even when selling my 400 level seats. 

No idea how long it will be before they sell out again.

It seems like a handful of 300 level seats were released for public sale this morning.  After fees they're still a little cheaper than what's on stubhub right now.    I grabbed some upgrades and am hoping I can at least break even when selling my 400 level seats. 
Good luck on resell. I have been burnt time and time again on trying to do with Astros playoff tickets so I don't fuck with that any longer. Hopefully you have better luck than I did in the past.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Scraps said:
1 hour ago, WBT said:

Good luck on resell. I have been burnt time and time again on trying to do with Astros playoff tickets so I don't fuck with that any longer. Hopefully you have better luck than I did in the past.

Yeah would be shocked if you got anywhere close to what you paid for your 400s after all the fees on either side of the transaction. Market for LCS tickets is usually not strong. I’m in the 400s and think I’m just going to live with it 

and if we get the Indians, the Astros and their dynamic pricing will be the big big winner.

World Series always seems to be like printing money though (but timing can be tricky)

24 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

Fuck Elton John.  Why are the scheduling concerts in a baseball stadium anyway?  Doesn't Houston have other suitable (and better) venues for a got damn concert?

it's a ~new wave going around.  we saw jay-z and timberlake at the rose bowl and billy joel at dodger stadium.  made me never want to sit in a staples center concert again.

• Hook 'Em 1