2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, cabowabo said:

Fuck Elton John.  Why are the scheduling concerts in a baseball stadium anyway?  Doesn't Houston have other suitable (and better) venues for a got damn concert?

Saw Paul McCartney there back in 2012. We sucked back then so there was no issue with a WS conflict.

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

it's a ~new wave going around.  we saw jay-z and timberlake at the rose bowl and billy joel at dodger stadium.  made me never want to sit in a staples center concert again.

Out of curiosity why is that?  I’d guess the acoustics would be better in an arena but I don’t know that for sure. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Out of curiosity why is that?  I’d guess the acoustics would be better in an arena but I don’t know that for sure. 

Went with my wife to the Lady Gaga show at MMP and I was pleasantly surprised by acoustics in the building. I thought the sound was going to be garbage.

15 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Saw Roger Waters do The Wall Live at then AT&T Park in San Francisco back in 2012.  That show was much better than his This Is Not A Drill at Moody Center 11 days ago.

it’s good to be the king/sweep your divisional opponent

you get an entire day to talk about acoustics in your ballpark 

but back on baseball, will we see any changes to the LCS roster?

im guessing Smith gets added with the possibility of games 5 straight days, but who do you drop?

Mancini, Meyers or Hensley?

(I know the choice of this thread)

I mean, I wish with all my heart that we stay 12/14. We conclusively proved, playing an 18 inning game that didn’t compromise shit, that we could get by with 12 without a problem. 
I’d prefer we leave a roster spot open before adding Smith to it. 
we wouldn’t have won that game in 18 were Smith on the roster. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

they can sell 3x as many tickets and it's outside, which, weather permitting, just seems like a more fun experience, especially these days with everyone posting pictures and video on social media.

nobody gives a shit about the acoustics.  you're at a show, not a "performance".

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

they can sell 3x as many tickets and it's outside, which, weather permitting, just seems like a more fun experience, especially these days with everyone posting pictures and video on social media.

nobody gives a shit about the acoustics.  you're at a show, not a "performance".

I get the reason they would like that with the 3 times more tickets. I took your post to mean you personally thought the baseball stadium concert was better than basketball arena. I don’t have an opinion one way or another, was just curious why you had that strong preference. 

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I get the reason they would like that with the 3 times more tickets. I took your post to mean you personally thought the baseball stadium concert was better than basketball arena. I don’t have an opinion one way or another, was just curious why you had that strong preference. 

L.A. Galaxy to return to Rose Bowl Stadium to host LAFC in marquee MLS  matchup

Ballparks | Los Angeles Dodgers

Lakers bids farewell to Staples Center with loss to Spurs

yes, the concerts outside were much more enjoyable.  not sure how it would be a mmp if the roof was closed.

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

L.A. Galaxy to return to Rose Bowl Stadium to host LAFC in marquee MLS  matchup

Ballparks | Los Angeles Dodgers

Lakers bids farewell to Staples Center with loss to Spurs

yes, the concerts outside were much more enjoyable.  not sure how it would be a mmp if the roof was closed.

As a Houstonian I’m conditioned to ugliness and miserable weather so o guess that didn’t compute. Yeah, I could see that setting being better and not caring if the sound was degraded. 
I just think of big arena concerts as like the rodeo, which is just a super shitty venue for a concert. At the dome and at reliant. 

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

As a Houstonian I’m conditioned to ugliness and miserable weather so o guess that didn’t compute. Yeah, I could see that setting being better and not caring if the sound was degraded. 
I just think of big arena concerts as like the rodeo, which is just a super shitty venue for a concert. At the dome and at reliant. 

yes, i've been to plenty of concerts and seen great performers in their prime at the rodeo dome shows back in the 80's/90's.  this ain't that.

you should also consider (unlike the rodeo) when a concert is at a stadium, they put seats on the field, so there's no dead space anywhere, just a sea of people.  it also allows for great seats in the first few rows that are completely affordable because they're not "on the floor". 

we sat front row 30 yard line at jay-z/jt and the show was insanity.  tickets were like $75.  pretty easy concert to go to when there are 100,000 tickets avail.

(not my video, just found one on youtube to illustrate the scope).  of course this was one of their later songs so it was dark by then.  also seeing timberlake play the voice of the cop is always hilarious.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I think we killed in this draft too. Gilbert, Melton, and Clifford are going to add to that list.

If opponents aren't concerned AF at the youth brigade in the Astros ranks, they just aren't paying attention.

Records since the All Star Break. Give me the Yankees. 

Tm W L W-L% GB RS RA pythW-L%
HOU 47 24 .662 -- 334 213 .695
CLE 46 26 .639 1.5 307 248 .596
TOR 42 27 .609 4.0 347 275 .605
SEA 39 30 .565 7.0 305 274 .549
BAL 37 33 .529 9.5 288 295 .489
NYY 35 35 .500 11.5 310 269 .565
CHW 35 35 .500 11.5 280 297 .473
TBR 35 35 .500 11.5 278 255 .539
LAA 34 36 .486 12.5 260 275 .474
BOS 30 39 .435 16.0 305 375 .407
DET 29 41 .414 17.5 269 313 .431
KCR 29 41 .414 17.5 281 341 .412
MIN 28 40 .412 17.5 275 291 .474
OAK 28 41 .406 18.0 262 346 .375
TEX 27 45 .375 20.5 301 336 .450
  • Hook 'Em 2

Best Records Since June 1st

ATL 112 78-34 .696

LAD 113 78-35 .690

HOU 112 74-38 .661

SEA 113 69-44 .611

CLE 117 71-46 .607

NYM 111 67-44 .604

PHI 112 66-46 .589

NYY 113 65-48 .575

STL 113 65-48 .575

TOR 114 64-50 .561

BAL 111 62-49 .559

SDP 113 59-54 .522

TBR 113 58-55 .513

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

No rain in the forecast for tomorrow so all good I guess. 
I don’t mind the help. Between this and no off days after game 5, combined with our clearly superior pitching depth this is about as good as it could be set up, obviously. 

Right.

The winner tomorrow gets to play 3 games in a row, off day, then potentially 5 games in a row (assuming they can push it  to a full 7 …and no shitty weather in CLE/NYY)

Earliest Yankees will have Cole available would be game 2 on short rest.

earliest they’d have Cortes would be game 3 on short rest….after pitching tomorrow on short rest.

bring on the MFY 

11 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

No rain in the forecast for tomorrow so all good I guess. 
I don’t mind the help. Between this and no off days after game 5, combined with our clearly superior pitching depth this is about as good as it could be set up, obviously. 

What You Talkin' 'Bout, Willis?. How I learned to stop hating acronyms… |  by Jeremy Helligar | Medium

ALCS has a game off on 10/21 between games 2 & 3 and that is it.

21 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Yeah would be shocked if you got anywhere close to what you paid for your 400s after all the fees on either side of the transaction. Market for LCS tickets is usually not strong. I’m in the 400s and think I’m just going to live with it 

and if we get the Indians, the Astros and their dynamic pricing will be the big big winner.

World Series always seems to be like printing money though (but timing can be tricky)

The Stub hub fees make it close to impossible to earn a profit flipping tickets in the ALDS and CS. Exceptions are having great seats at face.

And as you said, even WS tickets are sold for losses on Stub Hub when including fees. I think for a 2021 Atlanta WS game, I earned a whooping $30 in profit in selling 2 upper deck seats. I couldn't even find friends to buy them at face.

Houston fans have become way too accustomed to winning. I understand. I turned down buying ALDS tickets from the Astros. I wanted to wait for the ALCS and WS.

EDIT: Stubhub has really hurt savvy buyers and sellers by removing all relevant info on previous sales and I don't even see them showing how many total tickets are for sale. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 2