2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 minute ago, Gourmand said:

What the everlivin' fuck is going on with Stanek? Is he secretly sick/hurt or did the Astros analytics guys tell Dusty only to use him in situations with a five-run lead vs NYY? It doesn't make sense that one of our best relievers hasn't pitched but one inning this postseason. 

I hear ya, but 0.71 postseason bullpen ERA (in 25.1 IP, so not a small sample size) says no one gets to second guess bullpen usage 

Just now, Gourmand said:

What the everlivin' fuck is going on with Stanek? Is he secretly sick/hurt or did the Astros analytics guys tell Dusty only to use him in situations with a five-run lead vs NYY? It doesn't make sense that one of our best relievers hasn't pitched but one inning this postseason. 

He's always been 4th on the leverage index when everyone is healthy for Dusty. I think they probably rightly moved him down to 5th on the leverage index behind Presley. Also, Hunter Brown is just a better pitcher than him. I hear all our fans asking this question and I just don't get it.  This bullpen is full of absurdly ridiculous arms and it completely and totally fucks- but where exactly is it you'd like to see him get in any game he didn't all playoffs long?

I've long contended that 11 pitchers is the absolute max you should need in the playoffs, and any path to winning a series shouldn't involve more than about 8, 9 guys tops if you are being generous.  

It's pretty clear Houston's path to win guys are as follows:  JV, Javier, LMJ, Framber, Abreu, Neris, Montero, Presley.  That's it. If you want to consider Hunter Brown part of the "path to victory" arms I guess you can- but I really don't think you should.  He's pitched multiple innings but when we were tied and behind.  

Urquidy is clearly the waiver the white flag guy in case of a blowout.  

It will be fascinating (I hope this doesn't happen) to see if they would start Garcia in a game 7 situation or come back with Javier on 3 days rest and call it a bullpen game.  Win in 4 and don't worry about any of that I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Maybe Maton punched out his right hand

12 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Yeah the lack of Stanek is just killing us.  I don't have an answer but all of our relievers are good and if people could stop spamming the board with stanek talk during tense late innings it would be appreciated.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

His FIP, WHIP, and BB/9 ae all higher than his ERA would lead you to believe. The bullpen hasn't pitched a single inning where the game couldn't have turned on a single pitch aside from the middle innings of ALDS game 1, so it makes sense to me that you would avoid a guy who walks too many. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, runthebone said:

We're up 2-0 and haven't even unleashed Mancini on them yet...seems unfair

Diaz is allegedly a fastball hitter so he made sense in games 2 and 3. 
Mancini, by career numbers and season numbers, is the better hitter. He’s clearly lost at sea. If we are just throwing shit against the wall might as well be Hensley. 

Here are Stanek's numbers compared to Abreu, Neris, and Montero. Seems clear that he should be the 4th option.

Rk Name Year Age W L W-L% ERA G GS GF CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF ERA+ FIP WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W
1 Ryne Stanek 2022 30 2 1 .667 1.15 59 0 10 0 0 1 54.2 36 8 7 2 31 1 62 0 0 4 224 336 3.02 1.226 5.9 0.3 5.1 10.2 2.00
2 Bryan Abreu 2022 25 4 0 1.000 1.94 55 0 18 0 0 2 60.1 45 16 13 2 26 0 88 4 0 7 248 200 2.12 1.177 6.7 0.3 3.9 13.1 3

Rk Name Year Age W L W-L% ERA G GS GF CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF ERA+ FIP WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W
1 Ryne Stanek 2022 30 2 1 .667 1.15 59 0 10 0 0 1 54.2 36 8 7 2 31 1 62 0 0 4 224 336 3.02 1.226 5.9 0.3 5.1 10.2 2.00
2 Hector Neris 2022 33 6 4 .600 3.72 70 0 26 0 0 3 65.1 49 29 27 3 17 0 79 6 1 6 263 104 2.35 1.010 6.8 0.4 2.3 10.9 4.

2 Rafael Montero 2022 31 5 2 .714 2.37 71 0 25 0 0 14 68.1 47 22 18 3 23 2 73 2 0 1 270 163 2.64 1.024 6.2 0.4 3.0 9.6 3.1
Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, WBT said:

Yeah the lack of Stanek is just killing us.  I don't have an answer but all of our relievers are good and if people could stop spamming the board with stanek talk during tense late innings it would be appreciated.

him or Neris will be first man up on Saturday 

I think I figured out why the MFY are so pissed off about last night.  Their 23 consecutive postseason games with a HR streak is now over.

The last postseason game they played without an HR was game 4 of the 2018 ALDS against the Red Sox.  Christian Vazquez did hit a HR in that game.

2 hours ago, utxmike05 said:

Friend sent these to me from the facebooks. Tuve says he was going to take the pic but they took him away very very drunk. Nice fukin guy. Not many people let someone run up and hug on you.   

Probably thought it was correa

D27F3092-37DA-4476-B19C-E4821F4FD90B.jpeg

151A626D-55C6-44DB-8CFA-8A4D12F6C36D.jpeg

Good for Altuve for being kind to the drunk asshole when he didn’t have to be.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Gourmand said:

agreed but the problem with this is being so fucking far behind. the pbp radio feed on the MLB app is way off this year. 

Yep, I was able to do this last year on the Fox broadcast using the MLB app and with was just a second or two off.  This year, the MLB app seems to be 45 seconds to a minute behind the TV feed which is too much for me.  I can't live that much in the past.

5 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

The fuck is a mishap?

Don't do this to us, LMJ's entire body.

This is a nothing-burger, I think it's Dusty not wanting the media to think LMJ is our #4 starter or some such shit. I think it's the Astros braintrust looking at the matchups and knowing that Javier is the guy to give the ball to in a game NY MUST WIN, then turning to the veteran executioner LMJ to complete the sweep in NY.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

This is a nothing-burger, I think it's Dusty not wanting the media to think LMJ is our #4 starter or some such shit. I think it's the Astros braintrust looking at the matchups and knowing that Javier is the guy to give the ball to in a game NY MUST WIN, then turning to the veteran executioner LMJ to complete the sweep in NY.

It's also good to split the curve ball guys up with Javier's nasty fastball in between.

• Hook 'Em 1